Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author KARIN SLAUGHTER!

I'm very pleased to introduce this week's featured author, #1 International Best Seller KARIN SLAUGHTER!

Check out Karin's website here: http://www.karinslaughter.com/

She's on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/karinslaughter

Karin Slaughter

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author KARIN SLAUGHTER!

[ Edited ]

About Author Karin Slaughter

Karin Slaughter : Author Photo

Karin Slaughter is the #1 internationally bestselling author of several novels, including the Grant County series. A long-time resident of Atlanta, she splits her time between the kitchen and the living room. 

Who She Is

• Karin Slaughter was born in Georgia, and, with the exception of traveling to support her book publications domestically and abroad, always returns home to Atlanta.
  • Karin Slaughter is her birth name and not a pseudonym.
  • Attended two years of college at Georgia State, and never graduated, though she considers herself a voracious and lifelong learner.
  • Started a sign business before becoming a successful writer.
  • Has toured a dozen countries promoting her work, including Australia, Singapore, France and Finland.

Her Work

Her Interests

• Enjoys running and not running
  • Swam with the sharks in Australia
  • Went weightless in the Zero-G Vomit Comet
  • Jumped butt-naked into the Baltic after a bracing sauna in Finland
  • Plans to enter sub-orbital space via Virgin Galactic's space program (!!!)

Bestseller lists

• #1 bestselling author in the UK
  • #3 bestselling author in the US
  • #1 bestselling author in Ireland
  • #1 adult title in Australia
  • #1 bestselling author in the Netherlands
  • #1 bestselling author in Germany
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Karin Slaughter's books in order

Karin's latest book...

(featuring Amanda Wagner, Will Trent, Sara Linton...)

Criminal       2012

The Georgia series...

(combines Grant County characters with Atlanta series characters)

Fallen       2011
Broken       2010
Undone* (US) Genesis* (elsewhere)       2009

The Will Trent/Atlanta series...

Fractured       2008
Triptych       2006

The Grant County series...

Beyond Reach* (US) Skin Privilege* (elsewhere)       2007
Faithless      2005
Indelible       2004
A Faint Cold Fear       2003
Kisscut       2002
Blindsighted       2001

* Please note that the novels called Undone/Genesis and Beyond Reach/Skin Privilege are the exact same books. There is absolutely no difference in the text. These were publisher decisions based on a variety of factors and in no way meant to misrepresent the books as different stories.

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Frequently Asked Questions about Karin Slaughter

see the FAQ about Karin's books here.

1. Where do you get your ideas?
      I wish I knew! The stories form in my mind over a period of time, and before I know it, I'm sitting down at my computer writing. Mostly, it's a matter of thinking of a crime and wondering how Sara, Jeffrey and Lena will respond. I'm also interested in seeing how the town will respond. It's very important to me that Grant County seems like a fourth narrator in the story. There are a lot of recurring characters, so for instance when you see Old Man Burgess in Indelible, you know exactly who he is and you know some of his history. To me, that's the best thing about reading a series. Those secondary characters really add to the fabric of the story.

1. What's your writing schedule?
      Unfortunately, I'm not very disciplined. I'm more of a "run off into the mountains and write until I collapse" author. I wish I could be more structured, but it's been working for me so far, so who am I to judge?

1. How long does it take you to write a book?
      It depends on what the book is about and how much research is involved. I'd say on average that the whole process takes around ten to twelve months. Sometimes it goes more quickly, sometimes more slowly. I never want to be in a position where I am rushing a story, and thankfully my publishers are very patient.

1. How do you do your research?
      I've got a friend who is a cop who tells me some procedural stuff and a handsome and kind doctor friend who fills me in on medical details. Mostly, it's a matter of me thinking up some plot point and then emailing them and asking, "hey, is it okay if Lena wears sneakers (women in crime shows on TV are always running in six inch heels)?" or "can Sara cut this person open and still have him live?" 

I also read a lot of medical books and police manuals. I think I would do this even if I weren't writing thrillers because I just find it so interesting. I will say that for every book or paper I read, or hour I spend doing research, I end up putting in a line or two at the most in the books.

1. Are you related to author Frank Slaughter?
      No. Basically, I am the most famous Slaughter I know, unless you count a great uncle who was wanted by the revenuers for running moonshine.

1. What authors do you like to read? 
    I've read all of Kate Atkinson's stuff. I adored Case HistoriesFingersmith by Sarah Waters was one of my all-time favorites. Mo Hayder is fabulous. Peter Robinson, Fidelis Morgan, Mark Billingham, Lee Child, Lynda LaPlante... the list could go on. I also read a lot of books outside the thriller genre. I think Kathryn Harrison has written The Great American Novel about three times now. Margaret Atwood and John Irving have enviable careers because they've written in so many different styles. I also enjoy Neil Gaiman and Kelley Armstrong. Basically, if it's a well-written story with solid characters and a real plot, then I'm there.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Frequently Asked Questions about Karin's Books

• Where's that letter you mention in Beyond Reach/Skin Privilege? 
    Well, there are two web-exclusive pieces that I mention in Beyond Reach -- there's the Spoiler Letter (which is here, but, please read it only if you've read the book first!). There's also the Bonus Chapter, which is here.

• When is the next book out and what is it called?
    Criminal is my most recent. It comes out in July 2012 in English and Dutch.

• What are the books in the series and should I read them in order?
    See the book order and series listing here

You can start the series with any of them. I'm a stickler for order, so it's in my nature as a reader to want to begin at the beginning, but you could easily start with Indelible, which takes place mostly in the past, and then go back to Blindsighted -- or any of the books, for that matter.

• What are you working on now?
    A nap. A sandwich. Wii Fit. Packing to go on tour. My Facebook page. Oh, and maybe the next book, but I'm not telling anything about it yet. You'll have to read Criminal first.

• I've read all of your books. Is there anything else you've written that maybe I'm not aware of?
    Snatched, a novella featuring Will Trent. A short story called A Thorn in My Side, to benefit libraries. Some other stories here and there, collected into The Unremarkable Heart. I wrote a short story called Cold, Cold Heart for BMW Audio Books. You candownload it here. I've also done two stories in a serial novel called Like a Charm. In 2008, I wrote a novella called Martin Misunderstood for the entire country of Holland. It's published in France, England and Germany, and is an audio book (read by Seinfeld's Wayne Knight) in the US.

• Is Grant County an actual place?
    I totally made it up, though I have to admit that it's an amalgamation of the small towns of my childhood. I grew up in South Georgia, in a college town much like Grant, so I know the types of characters you'll find in this sort of community. The town is fictional because I didn't want people to write letters saying, "you can't turn left on Main Street!" but of course I still get letters saying that. I even had someone write to me to say that I'd used the wrong interstate to get to Grant County from Atlanta!

• Why is there so much violence in your books?
    I adore Mary Higgins Clark and have been known to enjoy a Janet Evanovich or two, but in my writing, I want to show violence for what it is. For so long, women weren't expected to talk about these crimes, even though we were more likely to be the victims. I think it's time we started talking about rape and violence against women. When I was growing up, these subjects were "boys only" territory in fiction, so I find it refreshing to see authors like Mo Hayder and Denise Mina really opening up the conversation about abuse and sexual assault. This isn't to say that men are not capable of writing about these topics, only that women authors bring a different perspective.

• Who is your favorite character?
    This is like asking parents which is their favorite child. For my parents, it was easy (me) but when folks ask me to choose among my characters, my answer usually depends on who I am writing or thinking about at the time. Lena is the most challenging, by far, but I love Sara for her strength and intelligence. Jeffrey always surprises me. I'll do the diplomatic thing and say that I love all of them.

• Which is your favorite book?
    Again, it's hard to say. Usually it's the one I'm going to be working on next. 

The most difficult book to write was Kisscut, because it's about such dark subject matter. I had to be very careful about showing just enough to give the reader an idea what was going on but not so much that it was off-putting or -- worse -- titillating. This was a very hard line to walk, but I think I pulled it off. I think I also showed a side of that life that is seldom talked about, even though it's been going on since the beginning of time.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Criminal  

Criminal

Overview

Karin Slaughter’s new novel is an epic tale of love, loyalty, and murder that encompasses forty years, two chillingly similar murder cases, and a good man’s deepest secrets.

Will Trent is a brilliant agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Newly in love, he is beginning to put a difficult past behind him. Then a local college student goes missing, and Will is inexplicably kept off the case by his supervisor and mentor, deputy director Amanda Wagner. Will cannot fathom Amanda’s motivation until the two of them literally collide in an abandoned orphanage they have both been drawn to for different reasons. Decades before—when Will’s father was imprisoned for murder—this was his home. . . .

Flash back nearly forty years. In the summer Will Trent was born, Amanda Wagner is going to college, making Sunday dinners for her father, taking her first steps in the boys’ club that is the Atlanta Police Department. One of her first cases is to investigate a brutal crime in one of the city’s worst neighborhoods. Amanda and her partner, Evelyn, are the only ones who seem to care if an arrest is ever made.

Now the case that launched Amanda’s career has suddenly come back to life, intertwined with the long-held mystery of Will’s birth and parentage. And these two dauntless investigators will each need to face down demons from the past if they are to prevent an even greater terror from being unleashed.

A masterpiece of character, atmosphere, and riveting suspense, Criminal is the most powerful and moving novel yet from one of our most gifted storytellers at work today.

Advance praise for Criminal

“Karin Slaughter’s best yet by far: All her signature strengths are amplified a hundredfold by the past explaining the present. Reading this book was like watching a great athlete having a career year.”—Lee Child

“Fascinating . . . Slaughter delivers another riveting, pulse-pounding crime novel.”—Booklist (starred review)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please give Karin a big B&N welcome!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I almost forgot to mention Karin's new e-short, SNATCHED:

Snatched  

Snatched: A Novella

Overview

A gripping, action-packed short story available only as an eBook—from a master of character, crime, and urgent suspense.

Will Trent, a dedicated agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation for fifteen years, knows that there’s definitely such a thing as a cop’s intuition. Which is why he should have listened to his own. 

While in an airport restroom at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International, Will overhears a girl’s pleading, plaintive voice: “Please, I wanna go home.” Something isn’t right here, thinks Will. He feels it in his gut. But he waits too long to act, and now the girl and the anxious, angry man she’s with have disappeared into the crowds at the busiest passenger airport in the world. 

After a desperate search and with time running out, Will makes a call to his supervisor, Amanda Wagner. Will’s partner, Faith Mitchell, immediately sends out an abducted child alert. The entire airport will soon be grinding to a halt: Almost 100 million passengers a year. Five runways. Seven concourses. Six million square feet of space that sprawled across two counties, three cities, and five jurisdictions. All shut down on a dime because Will has a hunch that he is certain is true: a girl, maybe six or seven years old, has been snatched from God knows where. And he intends to bring her back—no matter what it takes.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Karin has also written a guest blog for us:

Guest Blog by

KARIN SLAUGHTER

I love writing about Will Trent, and not just because he’s a complicated guy.  The way his mind works is fascinating to me, and I’m especially interested in finding new ways for him to work out who the bad guy is, whether it’s tracking down a particularly heinous perpetrator in CRIMINAL or outwitting a child abductor in my new short story, SNATCHED.

While all my books are written so that anyone can read them in any order and understand exactly what’s going on, I also try to reward those readers who’ve been there from the very beginning.  That’s why whenever I work on a book, I try to plant seeds for the next one.  FALLEN, my last novel, was no exception.  As I was puzzling out the ending, I started thinking about how CRIMINAL would be structured. I knew that part of the narrative would take place in the present and feature Will, Faith Mitchell and Sara Linton, and that the other part would feature Amanda Wagner in the 1970s.  I thought straddling the two time periods would be a good way to talk not just about Will, but about all the women in his life.  And there are quite a few.

Will is a man who has been surrounded by women since he was born—whether it was Mrs. Flannigan, who looked after him at the children’s home, or Faith, his partner, who alternately tries to mother him and bully him.  One abiding figure in Will’s life is Amanda Wagner.  Will’s boss is in her mid-sixties and loves to keep secrets from him, the biggest one being what she knows about his early childhood.  Through all the books, she plays a cat-and-mouse game with Will about his past, telling him just enough to make him curious but stopping short of answering any of the pertinent questions.  Postponing revelations is what makes writing crime novels so much fun, but I’m happy to let readers know that CRIMINAL is the book where we finally find out what Amanda’s connection is to Will, and why she’s so sneaky about it.

The more I’ve written about Amanda, the more I’ve wanted to know how she got to be the way she is.  Generally, people are the sum of their experiences, and up until this point, readers haven’t known a lot about Amanda’s early years.  We’ve gotten glimpses along the way—whether through her old gal network in FALLEN or some of the insight Faith shares, but there hasn’t been a real explanation up until now.

Every woman I know has at some point known an Amanda Wagner.  She’s the sort of gal who got to the top and pulled the ladder up after her. She’s harder on the women who work for her than she is on the men.  She feels like anything they get has to be earned.  And sometimes, she feels like it’s part of her job description to make them sweat for it.  The more I thought about Amanda’s role in CRIMINAL, the more I realized I had to tell everything about her past in order to explain the present.

The obvious starting point was when Amanda first became a police officer. Before I started work on the book, I knew I’d have to do a lot of research.  Even though I was alive in 1975, being in diapers pretty much took up most of my time.  In preparation for the book, I immersed myself in 1970s newspapers, magazines, forensic textbooks, television shows, advertisements and radio programs in order to get a feel for the decade.  The hardest part about writing something set in the past is not letting the future intrude.  I wanted to make sure that the details blended seamlessly with the story.  I love reading historical novels, but I hate when it’s obvious that the author is stopping to show you how much research he or she has done.  So, my first directive in telling Amanda’s story was to make sure the reader was completely unaware that I had done all of this work.

Having gotten a basic handle on the past, I needed to talk to women who actually worked as cops during the 1970s.  I’ve long spoken with police officers and special agents to get a flavor of the world I’m writing about, but I’ve never talked to the women about what it was like when they were coming up.  Amanda joined the Atlanta Police Department in the early seventies and by 1975 was promoted to the sex crimes unit.  Women working as plainclothes officers were a fairly novel concept at that time.  It was only through law enforcement assistance grants from the federal government that a quota system was established, mandating a more integrated workforce.  Women like Amanda benefitted from this system, but not everybody was happy about it. 

Maynard Jackson, Atlanta’s first African American mayor (and one of two first black mayors to run a major American city) was determined to be an all-inclusive leader.  Not only did he fight for the rights of his fellow African Americans, he made sure that women were included in the rising tide.  On paper, many women benefitted from his advocacy, but no politician can control what happens in the trenches.  Women cops were routinely harassed and intimidated by fellow officers.  Often times, they were afraid of physical violence or threatened by rape.  The public wasn’t keen on police officers of any stripe, but women especially bore the brunt of their disgust.  Many women cops remember being laughed at when they pulled up onto a scene.  Often, the first question out of the victim or complainant’s mouth was, “where’s a man I can talk to?” 

It wasn’t just men who had a problem with females in uniform.  A common call to the station houses was from other women reporting that they’d seen a female stealing a police car.  The women just could not comprehend that another woman would want to be a cop, let alone that she would have the skills to actually do the job.  There was also a lot of hostility from certain quarters about women taking jobs from men, who (unlike the popular conception of women) had to support their families.  So, in many cases, women experienced prejudice on both the home and work front. 

These days, those attitudes seem shocking—though, let’s be honest, some of those perceptions are still alive and kicking—but knowing what Amanda had to put up with gave me a deeper understanding of why she turned out the way she did.  I’ve always thought of her as mean, but I suddenly began to see that sometimes being mean was the only thing that kept her from breaking down.  The women on those early front lines had to put up with crap not just from the community, but from their own ranks—and sometimes their own sex.  Of course it makes sense that someone like Amanda would feel that the women coming up today have to earn it.  Looking at the world through her eyes, I began to see how much easier my life has been because women like Amanda Wagner broke through those earlier barricades.

Of course, CRIMINAL is a thriller, not a treatise, and I needed a good crime to hang the story on.  It was while talking to a friend of mine who used to work in the penal system that I chose the crime on which both sides of the story hang.  I love stories when something from the past haunts the present, and Will certainly is a man who is haunted—and defined—by his childhood.  He also grew up in the seventies, so while Amanda was breaking ground on the police force, Will was taking his first steps and learning how to be a human being.  Of course, both of their lives had to converge at some point, and CRIMINAL is all about those revelations.  Not only do we find out what makes Amanda tick, we finally find out what happened to Will’s parents and why he was never adopted.  We also see him forced into making a decision about the women in his life.  He has to decide which ones are worth keeping and which ones are best left to history. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Karen, welcome to the forum. I have enjoyed several of your novels.

Okay my question has nothing to do with your novels, in your bio it says you plan to enter space via the Virgin Galactic space program.

WOW, 

why?  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Karin:

I have never read any of your books, but I have begun to remedy that problem. I started reading BLINDSIGHTED yesterday. I actually read the first 100 pages to my husband on our drive home from our beach house. 

I like to start at the beginning of a series. I know your blog said that it was not necessary but being the VIRGO that I am, I cannot permit myself to do that. LOL!

Anyway, I do like your voice and your book is very easy reading because the words just flow. I also like the characters, especially Sara, Jeffrey and Lena.

Did you ever read R. J. Ellory's book A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS? I think you would like that book. It actually takes place around Columbus, GA. R. J. is British but he does like to write books set in the US. It's remarkable how he wrote about GA without being there first. He told me that he did visit GA after he wrote the book and he had a dejavu experience. 

Hope you enjoy your visit with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Karen, welcome to the forum. I have enjoyed several of your novels.

Okay my question has nothing to do with your novels, in your bio it says you plan to enter space via the Virgin Galactic space program.

WOW, 

why?  :smileyhappy:

I highlighted that because I wanted to ask Karin about that, too - this is quite a list!!!

Her Interests

• Enjoys running and not running
  • Swam with the sharks in Australia
  • Went weightless in the Zero-G Vomit Comet
  • Jumped butt-naked into the Baltic after a bracing sauna in Finland
  • Plans to enter sub-orbital space via Virgin Galactic's space program (!!!)
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Karin:

I have never read any of your books, but I have begun to remedy that problem. I started reading BLINDSIGHTED yesterday. I actually read the first 100 pages to my husband on our drive home from our beach house. 

I like to start at the beginning of a series. I know your blog said that it was not necessary but being the VIRGO that I am, I cannot permit myself to do that. LOL!

Anyway, I do like your voice and your book is very easy reading because the words just flow. I also like the characters, especially Sara, Jeffrey and Lena.

Did you ever read R. J. Ellory's book A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS? I think you would like that book. It actually takes place around Columbus, GA. R. J. is British but he does like to write books set in the US. It's remarkable how he wrote about GA without being there first. He told me that he did visit GA after he wrote the book and he had a dejavu experience. 

Eadie - I LOVE that you read Karin's book out loud to your husband on a road trip! I read out loud to my husband on our trips, too, when we aren't listening to music. 

I'm a big fan of R.J. Ellory - he's hugely popular in the U.K. and is finally getting popular here, too. His books are amazing.

I'm so glad you're checking out Karin's books! I know Debbie's a fan, and I think you will like Karin's book, too. I received an advance copy of CRIMINAL - it's a really fast-paced, very suspenseful book with lots of twists and turns. I love it when authors keep me guessing!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Karin:

Eadie - I LOVE that you read Karin's book out loud to your husband on a road trip! I read out loud to my husband on our trips, too, when we aren't listening to music. 

I'm a big fan of R.J. Ellory - he's hugely popular in the U.K. and is finally getting popular here, too. His books are amazing.

I'm so glad you're checking out Karin's books! I know Debbie's a fan, and I think you will like Karin's book, too. I received an advance copy of CRIMINAL - it's a really fast-paced, very suspenseful book with lots of twists and turns. I love it when authors keep me guessing!

I already love her writing! I have to get caught up with R. J.'s books too - they are all in my to-be-read pile - the one that is toppling over at the moment!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Karin:

I already love her writing! I have to get caught up with R. J.'s books too - they are all in my to-be-read pile - the one that is toppling over at the moment!

I know what you mean! I just received a stack of advance copies - I'm eager to get at them, but when????