Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author KATE CARLISLE!

Hi, Kate. Your bibliophile series sounds awfully good. I will definitely have to invest in a couple of them. Should I read them in order?

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate_Carlisle wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Kate - I'm amazed at how prolific you are! In addition to your mysteries, you write romance, too. What are the biggest differences between writing these genres for you? Is it hard to go back and forth from one genre to another?

The biggest difference is that the characters change from one romance to the next. I'm writing about a family - the Duke brothers and their handsome twin cousins - but each romance is focused on a different couple.

In the Bibliophile Mystery novels, on the other hand, the focus remains on bookbinder Brooklyn Wainwright. She does have a love interest, but their relationship is not all wrapped up in the course of one book. In fact, British security expert Derek Stone has a little competition for Brooklyn's affections. If you like the Stephanie Plum books from Janet Evanovich, then I hope you'll enjoy the Bibliophile Mystery novels, too.

And then there's Gabriel...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hi, Kate. Your bibliophile series sounds awfully good. I will definitely have to invest in a couple of them. Should I read them in order?

Max - I think you'll enjoy the series more if you read them in order.

Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Hi, Maxcat! The Bibliophile Mystery books don't have to be read in order. Each book is a standalone mystery. I suggest you start with the latest, One Book in the Grave (Bibliophile Series #5)  and then go back to the beginning. I hope you'll love them!

Kate Carlisle
The Bibliophile Mysteries
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Since Brooklyn - Kate's protagonist - is a bookbinder, I thought you might like to see some examples of beautifully bound books.

Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Oh, Becke, those are stunning!!!! How I would love to have those books in my collection. Thank you so much for posting the pics.

By the way, I have a fun giveaway everyone might like to know about... the Bibliophile Mystery Time Killer Word Search Booklet. There are six challenging word search puzzles in the booklet, one from each of the Bibliophile Mystery novels, and one from the PAGES OF SIN novella. Readers can get one for free by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the address below:

Kate Carlisle-word search booklet
2633 Lincoln Boulevard, No. 322
Santa Monica, CA 90405

Bibliophile Mystery Time Killer word search booklet

Kate Carlisle
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate_Carlisle wrote:

Oh, Becke, those are stunning!!!! How I would love to have those books in my collection. Thank you so much for posting the pics.

By the way, I have a fun giveaway everyone might like to know about... the Bibliophile Mystery Time Killer Word Search Booklet. There are six challenging word search puzzles in the booklet, one from each of the Bibliophile Mystery novels, and one from the PAGES OF SIN novella. Readers can get one for free by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the address below:

Kate Carlisle-word search booklet
2633 Lincoln Boulevard, No. 322
Santa Monica, CA 90405

Bibliophile Mystery Time Killer word search booklet

How cool! Thanks for telling us about this offer, Kate!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Kate_Carlisle, Hi hope you visit is a great one. I love the title of your latest book. One Book in the Grave. I want to read it.

I must check out your books.

I know I ask this of all the authors I post to but I alway wonder. What do you like about writing mysteries and how to you come up with your titles?

I hope you have a great time here and enjoy your visit.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Happy Valentine's Day, Kate! Do you have any special plans for the day?

valentines-day/vintage-valentine-47.gif

Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Hi, Patty! Thank you so much for popping in. Why do I love writing mysteries? Well, I love reading them, so they were a natural fit for me when I started writing. I love writing mysteries because I love the structure that a mystery provides. Every mystery starts with a question - who committed the crime? As an author, I get to take the reader along on the journey of figuring out who. I plant legitimate clues, as well as red herrings, so that a reader has a chance to outguess me... but it won't be easy! :smileywink:

Because of that structure, the basic framework of a mystery, I then have the freedom to create really interesting, quirky characters who operate within that framework. I love quirky characters in real life and in fiction! I always tell people, if you enjoy watching TV shows like Castle, Criminal Minds, Bones, then you'll enjoy reading the Bibliophile Mystery series. They're fun mysteries with a dash of romance for flavor.

On how we come up with the titles... that's a team effort between me, my editor, and the marketing department at my publisher. We all toss out suggestions, each with a bookish theme. So far, we've come up with:

Homicide in Hardcover (Bibliophile Series #1) 

If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Series #2) 

The Lies That Bind (Bibliophile Series #3) 

Murder under Cover (Bibliophile Series #4) 

Pages of Sin (Bibliophile Series #7) (An eSpecial from New American Library) 

One Book in the Grave (Bibliophile Series #5)       

Kate Carlisle
Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Patty's question gives me a great idea for a fun game! Want to play? Think of a popular idiom or phrase, and then put a bookish slant on it.

For example, "one foot in the grave" becomes "one book in the grave."

Or how about "beauty in the eye of the beholder" becomes "binding is in the eye of the beholder"?

Kate Carlisle
Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Oops! Patti with an i. Sorry, Patti!

Kate Carlisle
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Just a reminder that this is a party - Kate and Avery are friends, so this is a joint effort. I gave them each their own thread so I could give them individual introductions - be sure to stop in at both threads!

Par-TEE! Par-TEE! Par-TEE!

Here's some lyrics from the chorus of Toby Keith's latest, which I think are appropriate for today(Valenitine's):

Red solo cup, I fill you up

Let's have a party, let's have a party

I love you red solo cup, I lift you up

Proceed to party, proceed to party

Here's to champagne(or your preferred drink) in your red solo cup, and some chocolate truffles on your napkin!(Since we're also celebrating with Avery, maybe I ought to add some fondue to the menu!)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

No red Solo cups, but here's champagne and fondue! And some Valentine treats, too~

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Perfect, becke! Best of all, no calories!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Perfect, becke! Best of all, no calories!

Virtual calories only...

Kate - What's your favorite Valentine treat?

Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Chocolate, of course! Any kind of chocolate, and I'm happy. In fact, I think I'll put a chocolate martini in my Red Solo Cup!

Par-TEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Kate Carlisle
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate_Carlisle wrote:

Chocolate, of course! Any kind of chocolate, and I'm happy. In fact, I think I'll put a chocolate martini in my Red Solo Cup!

Par-TEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

One chocolate martini coming right up, and some chocolates, too!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate - What are the books/authors who inspired you to write mystery (and romance!)?

Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Great question, Becke! All my life, I have read and adored both mystery and romance - and hey, if a book has both in it, so much the better! I continue to be inspired whenever I read an excellent book in either genre. A few of my favorite mystery authors and series: I adore the classic mystery series – Lord Peter Wimsey, Miss Marple, Sherlock Holmes … I could go on and on. These days, I’m a big fan of anything written by Hailey Lind/Juliet Blackwell, Kate Collins’ Flower Shop mysteries, Avery Aames's Cheese Shop Mysteries, of course, and I love Nancy Martin’s Blackbird Sisters. I’ll read anything by Julie Hyzy. I pretty much read them all, any mystery I can get my hands on. Love 'em!

Kate Carlisle