Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author KATE CARLISLE!

[ Edited ]

Kate, welcome. I love all the photos of the family!  How cute are they? And I love your books, your characters, your sense of humor. Thanks for being an author. May huge success continue to come your way.  [You are my inspiration!] 

~Avery

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Kate:

I just read HOMICIDE IN HARDCOVER last week and enjoyed it very much. I like to start with the first book in a series and read the rest in order.  I was excited to find out that the setting for the book was San Francisco. I've only been to San Francisco once but I loved visiting there. Revisiting in your book was a great delight! Will all your books in this series share the same setting of San Francisco?

Can't wait to read the next in the series, IF BOOKS COULD KILL. Hope you enjoy your visit with us and come back soon!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

AveryAames wrote:

Kate, welcome. I love all the photos of the family!  How cute are they? And I love your books, your characters, your sense of humor. Thanks for being an author. May huge success continue to come your way.  [You are my inspiration!] 

~Avery

You both have great websites! Some are boring are confusing, but yours are both attractive and interesting. Whoever designed them did a great job!

Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Hi, Becke and everyone! Becke, thank you so much for your warm hospitality and for all the time you put into putting together this fun post! You are awesome!

I'm so looking forward to spending time with you this week! I'm going to read through all the comments and then come back to respond, but I wanted to take a quick moment to correct the Facebook link. The link Becke provided *is* me, but it's the me-me page, not the author-me page. Facebook limits the number of friends we can have, but they don't limit the number of "likes" that an author can have. Be sure to check out the "Free Gifts for You" tab on the left side of the page, beneath my profile picture. I have some fun goodies to give away!

www.facebook.com/katecarlislebooks

Kate Carlisle
The Bibliophile Mysteries
Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Hi, Fricka! Thank you so much for stopping by, and for echoing Becke's very warm welcome. (I love the hummingbird graphic!!!! So pretty and sweet. Makes me glad I'm a girl, and I'm "allowed" to get all squishy inside when I see pictures like that. :heart:)

I loved the Cupcake Cozy event in Scottsdale! That was so much fun! I don't have a stop in Scottsdale on my schedule at the moment, but you never know. If you're on Facebook, be sure to like me at www.facebook.com/katecarlislebooks so I can update you if we add any dates to my tour schedule.

I'm afraid I don't know the name of the artist who designed my book cover. I wish I did! All I know is that the artists who work in my publisher's art department are soooo talented. I adore the Bibliophile Mystery covers so much! In fact, I've created a 513-piece jigsaw puzzle featuring the cover of ONE BOOK IN THE GRAVE, and I'm giving two of them away to members of my mailing list. Sign up at www.katecarlisle.com.

The titles of my books are a team effort, for sure, between me, my editor, the marketing staff, etc. Aren't they fun? We look for a phrase that we can "bookify." So "one foot in the grave" became ONE BOOK IN THE GRAVE. I can't remember whose idea it was, to tell you the truth. We all throw out ideas and then figure out which works best. Next up is PERIL IN PAPERBACK in August.

Peril in Paperback (Bibliophile Series #6)  

Kate Carlisle
Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Thank you for being an author, too, Avery! As you know, I adore the Cheese Shop Mysteries. I especially love touring with you because I know I'll never go hungry.

Cheeeeeese, glorious cheeeeeeese!!!!!

Clobbered by Camembert (Cheese Shop Mystery Series #3)  

Kate Carlisle
Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Thank you, Eadie!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed Homicide in Hardcover (Bibliophile Series #1) ! The second book of the series, If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Series #2)  is set in Edinburgh Scotland. Brooklyn travels there for the famous Edinburgh Book Festival. Edinburgh is one of my favorite cities in the world, so I knew I wanted to set a book there someday. The rest of the books, so far, have been set in San Francisco and the surrounding California wine country. But you never know... keep reading! :smileyhappy:

Kate Carlisle
Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Thank you so much, Becke! I love my web designer, and it's nice to hear that others appreciate the beautiful site she put together for me!

Kate Carlisle
Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

There have been a couple of changes to the touring schedule, by the way. I'll be at the Tucson Book Festival March 10-11, on 3 panels and signing books at the Sisters in Crime booth as well as the Poisoned Pen and Clues Unlimited booths (those are two bookstores in the Tucson area). Also, instead of signing at M is for Mystery in San Mateo this Saturday (February 18), Avery and I are appearing at the Barnes & Noble at the Hillsdale Mall, also in San Mateo.

Kate Carlisle
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate_Carlisle wrote:

Hi, Becke and everyone! Becke, thank you so much for your warm hospitality and for all the time you put into putting together this fun post! You are awesome!

I'm so looking forward to spending time with you this week! I'm going to read through all the comments and then come back to respond, but I wanted to take a quick moment to correct the Facebook link. The link Becke provided *is* me, but it's the me-me page, not the author-me page. Facebook limits the number of friends we can have, but they don't limit the number of "likes" that an author can have. Be sure to check out the "Free Gifts for You" tab on the left side of the page, beneath my profile picture. I have some fun goodies to give away!

www.facebook.com/katecarlislebooks

Sorry about that, Kate - I just corrected it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate_Carlisle wrote:

Hi, Fricka! Thank you so much for stopping by, and for echoing Becke's very warm welcome. (I love the hummingbird graphic!!!! So pretty and sweet. Makes me glad I'm a girl, and I'm "allowed" to get all squishy inside when I see pictures like that. :heart:)

I loved the Cupcake Cozy event in Scottsdale! That was so much fun! I don't have a stop in Scottsdale on my schedule at the moment, but you never know. If you're on Facebook, be sure to like me at www.facebook.com/katecarlislebooks so I can update you if we add any dates to my tour schedule.

I'm afraid I don't know the name of the artist who designed my book cover. I wish I did! All I know is that the artists who work in my publisher's art department are soooo talented. I adore the Bibliophile Mystery covers so much! In fact, I've created a 513-piece jigsaw puzzle featuring the cover of ONE BOOK IN THE GRAVE, and I'm giving two of them away to members of my mailing list. Sign up at www.katecarlisle.com.

The titles of my books are a team effort, for sure, between me, my editor, the marketing staff, etc. Aren't they fun? We look for a phrase that we can "bookify." So "one foot in the grave" became ONE BOOK IN THE GRAVE. I can't remember whose idea it was, to tell you the truth. We all throw out ideas and then figure out which works best. Next up is PERIL IN PAPERBACK in August.

It doesn't look like B&N has the image for this book yet. If you have a copy, Kate, email me the jpeg and I'll upload it here.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate_Carlisle wrote:

Thank you for being an author, too, Avery! As you know, I adore the Cheese Shop Mysteries. I especially love touring with you because I know I'll never go hungry.

Cheeeeeese, glorious cheeeeeeese!!!!!

Clobbered by Camembert (Cheese Shop Mystery Series #3)  

I think it would be dangerous to travel with Avery! Do you sample food dishes at the restaurants you visit - for research, of course?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate_Carlisle wrote:

Thank you so much, Becke! I love my web designer, and it's nice to hear that others appreciate the beautiful site she put together for me!

It's gorgeous!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate_Carlisle wrote:

There have been a couple of changes to the touring schedule, by the way. I'll be at the Tucson Book Festival March 10-11, on 3 panels and signing books at the Sisters in Crime booth as well as the Poisoned Pen and Clues Unlimited booths (those are two bookstores in the Tucson area).

Also, instead of signing at M is for Mystery in San Mateo this Saturday (February 18), Avery and I are appearing at the Barnes & Noble at the Hillsdale Mall, also in San Mateo.

I want to highlight that last part!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate - I'm amazed at how prolific you are! In addition to your mysteries, you write romance, too. What are the biggest differences between writing these genres for you? Is it hard to go back and forth from one genre to another?

Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Next up is PERIL IN PAPERBACK in August.

It doesn't look like B&N has the image for this book yet. If you have a copy, Kate, email me the jpeg and I'll upload it here.

I don't have cover art yet, Becke, but thank you for the offer! :smileyhappy:

Kate Carlisle
Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

Not just food, Becke... I sample wine everywhere I go, too, and call it research. :smileywink: After all, Brooklyn's parents' commune does own those fabulous wineries!

Kate Carlisle
Author
Kate_Carlisle
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Kate - I'm amazed at how prolific you are! In addition to your mysteries, you write romance, too. What are the biggest differences between writing these genres for you? Is it hard to go back and forth from one genre to another?

The biggest difference is that the characters change from one romance to the next. I'm writing about a family - the Duke brothers and their handsome twin cousins - but each romance is focused on a different couple.

In the Bibliophile Mystery novels, on the other hand, the focus remains on bookbinder Brooklyn Wainwright. She does have a love interest, but their relationship is not all wrapped up in the course of one book. In fact, British security expert Derek Stone has a little competition for Brooklyn's affections. If you like the Stephanie Plum books from Janet Evanovich, then I hope you'll enjoy the Bibliophile Mystery novels, too.

Kate Carlisle
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate_Carlisle wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Next up is PERIL IN PAPERBACK in August.

I don't have cover art yet, Becke, but thank you for the offer! :smileyhappy:

Let me know when it's ready and I'll add it to your thread as an update.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate_Carlisle wrote:

Not just food, Becke... I sample wine everywhere I go, too, and call it research. :smileywink: After all, Brooklyn's parents' commune does own those fabulous wineries!

Do you hit the antiquarian bookshops, too? Oooh, I want to travel with you two!!