Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author KATIA LIEF!

Glad to hear it!  I hope you'll enjoy it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KatiaLief wrote:

Hello Everyone!  I'm very happy to be here :womanvery-happy:

*massive sigh of relief* Katia - I'm so happy you were able to sign in okay!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KatiaLief wrote:

Hi Becke!

The plots of YOU ARE NEXT and NEXT TIME YOU SEE ME were not specifically inspired by any specific real life events, but I definitely drew on real life and current news to create the characters and some of their challenges.  In YOU ARE NEXT, as I mentioned in another post, the story was inspired by a newspaper article about the high suicide rate among police officers, which got me thinking about what it might take for a cop to want to take his or her own life.  I wondered what it would take for me to feel that way, and of course for any mother the worst thing you could lose would be your family.  So I thought, if you take a woman who's a cop, and strip her of everything that's important to her, which would be her family and her work, she would probably be suicidally depressed. She's seen some pretty bad stuff in the course of her work, and now it's hit her personal life head on.  My protagonist Karin Schaeffer was forged in that very dark fire--a combination of reality and imagination.

In writing workshops I often hear instructors say books are more compelling if the author tortures their characters. You definitely succeeded in both regards!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Katia - Are you currently working on your third or fourth book (as Katia Lief)? Do you have a release date for your third book?  

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

I didn't have any trouble signing in, at all, which doesn't mean I won't have trouble tomorrow!  But hopefully not.

I do have a third Karin Schaeffer novel in the works.  I started it last summer and then put it aside to spend some time with my kids at the end of the summer, and then to publicize YOU ARE NEXT and NEXT TIME YOU SEE ME this fall.  I plan to get back to writing it today, in fact!  The next story picks up with Karin and Mac, and Billy Staples...following up on what happened at the end of NEXT TIME YOU SEE ME and taking off into a whole new story.  Stay tuned!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

And to answer the rest of your question, Becke...yes, I'll be writing in the future under Katia Lief...and no, I don't have a release date yet.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KatiaLief wrote:

Hi Becke,

I didn't have any trouble signing in, at all, which doesn't mean I won't have trouble tomorrow!  But hopefully not.

I do have a third Karin Schaeffer novel in the works.  I started it last summer and then put it aside to spend some time with my kids at the end of the summer, and then to publicize YOU ARE NEXT and NEXT TIME YOU SEE ME this fall.  I plan to get back to writing it today, in fact!  The next story picks up with Karin and Mac, and Billy Staples...following up on what happened at the end of NEXT TIME YOU SEE ME and taking off into a whole new story.  Stay tuned!

I'll preorder it as soon as it becomes available!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Great, Becke!  Then I better get writing :smileywink:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KatiaLief wrote:

Great, Becke!  Then I better get writing :smileywink:

I think it's great you're taking time to enjoy your family. Did you do anything special for Thanksgiving?

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Hi Katia:

Just finished YOU ARE NEXT this morning! Really enjoyed it and Becke is correct when she says that it left her sitting on the edge of her seat! Can't wait to start your next one, NEXT TIME YOU SEE ME.

What I liked about your book was the fact that the story grabs you right from the start. Lots of action and the reader does not have time to get bored. A real page-turner from start to finish!

One question - What book or movie really scared you the most?

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Hi Katia:

Just finished YOU ARE NEXT this morning! Really enjoyed it and Becke is correct when she says that it left her sitting on the edge of her seat! Can't wait to start your next one, NEXT TIME YOU SEE ME.

What I liked about your book was the fact that the story grabs you right from the start. Lots of action and the reader does not have time to get bored. A real page-turner from start to finish!

Good question, Eadie! I could really see these as movies, couldn't you? Who would you choose for the cast?

If I was to compare Katia's books to TV shows or movies, I'd go with Criminal Minds. Sometimes those are so intense (sorry for over-using that word!) I almost want to cover my eyes. There were places in Katia's books I felt the same way! But, as with Criminal Minds, I know I'll keep coming back for more!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Hi Katia:

Good question, Eadie! I could really see these as movies, couldn't you? Who would you choose for the cast?

If I was to compare Katia's books to TV shows or movies, I'd go with Criminal Minds. Sometimes those are so intense (sorry for over-using that word!) I almost want to cover my eyes. There were places in Katia's books I felt the same way! But, as with Criminal Minds, I know I'll keep coming back for more!

I've never watched Criminal Minds. I'll have to check it out!

For characters if Katia's books were movies I would choose:

Karin - either Kate Hudson or Kate Winslet - also Ali Larter from Heroes would work too.

Mac - Keanu Reeves, David Duchovny or Nicholas Cage

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Hi Eadie et al,

We had a nice, low key Thanksgiving with family in New Jersey, where my sister lives.  I hope you also had a nice holiday!

I love this discussion about who should play Karin and Mac in the movie versions!  Especially since just today I had a blog posting about just that topic.  Here's the link:  http://mybookthemovie.blogspot.com/2010/11/katia-liefs-next-time-you-see-me.html

I admit I wasn't sure how to cast those parts, and since it's only fantasy at this point, I'm listening to other suggestions here!  I love the Nicholas Cage idea.  Also, what about Sean Penn?  Though that blog entry was posted just today, I wrote it a few weeks ago at the invitation of the blogger who runs that site, and since then other actor possibilities have run through my mind.

So...who should play Billy Staples?

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Eadie,

You asked what book or movie scared me the most.  The first thing that pops to mind is the movie THE VANISHING, the original Dutch version.  Scary!  That really had me on the edge of my seat when I saw it years ago, and I've often thought of the slow-burn tension of the suspense in that movie when writing my books.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

KatiaLief wrote:

Hi Eadie et al,

We had a nice, low key Thanksgiving with family in New Jersey, where my sister lives.  I hope you also had a nice holiday!

I love this discussion about who should play Karin and Mac in the movie versions!  Especially since just today I had a blog posting about just that topic.  Here's the link:  http://mybookthemovie.blogspot.com/2010/11/katia-liefs-next-time-you-see-me.html

I admit I wasn't sure how to cast those parts, and since it's only fantasy at this point, I'm listening to other suggestions here!  I love the Nicholas Cage idea.  Also, what about Sean Penn?  Though that blog entry was posted just today, I wrote it a few weeks ago at the invitation of the blogger who runs that site, and since then other actor possibilities have run through my mind.

So...who should play Billy Staples?

I saw that someone suggested Jamie Foxx for Billy Staples. Other actors I think would be good are Cuba Gooding Jr. and Will Smith.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Katia - thanks to the link to your blog post! So, you suggested:

Matt Damon as Mac

HIlary Swank as Karin

and

Jamie Foxx as Billy

Hmm, those are definitely good suggestions. I keep thinking of Cate Blanchett or Nicole Kidman, but they're older than Karin would be. What about Natalie Portman or Kirsten Dunst? 

I could see Stephen Moyer (True Blood) as Mac, or maybe Ben Affleck. What about Terrence Howard as Billy? 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

KatiaLief wrote:

Eadie,

You asked what book or movie scared me the most.  The first thing that pops to mind is the movie THE VANISHING, the original Dutch version.  Scary!  That really had me on the edge of my seat when I saw it years ago, and I've often thought of the slow-burn tension of the suspense in that movie when writing my books.

I would have to agree that THE VANISHING is pretty scary. One movie that scared me was DOUBLE JEOPARDY with Ashley Judd and of course, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Oooh...yes, Becke.  Stephen Moyer as Mac!  I'm a huge Trueblood fan and he is awesome!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KatiaLief wrote:

Oooh...yes, Becke.  Stephen Moyer as Mac!  I'm a huge Trueblood fan and he is awesome!

He would be FABULOUS - the more I think about it, the more I like that idea!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I just found this link to Katia's upcoming events on the HarperCollins website:

Promoting You Are Next

Wednesday, January 19, 2011
06:30 PM
NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY
455 5th Ave New York, NY 10016

Katia - do you have any Barnes & Noble book signings coming up?