Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author KATIA LIEF!

Becke wrote:  

Thanks for mentioning the titles, Patti. I meant to ask about those.

Katia, did you choose your own titles or did your publisher pick them? I hear that happens a lot with New York pubs.

I come up with my own titles.  I've never had a New York publisher change a title, but my foreign publishers routinely change them, sometimes quite radically!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KatiaLief wrote:

Becke wrote:  

Thanks for mentioning the titles, Patti. I meant to ask about those.

Katia, did you choose your own titles or did your publisher pick them? I hear that happens a lot with New York pubs.

I come up with my own titles.  I've never had a New York publisher change a title, but my foreign publishers routinely change them, sometimes quite radically!

Are your foreign covers online? I'd love to post them here!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Becke wrote:  Are your foreign covers online? I'd love to post them here!

Yes!  There's a link on my web site for the German books and the UK books.  A link for my books coming out in the Netherlands will appear soon.  Here are the links:

Germany:  http://www.katepepper.de/novels.php

UK:  http://www.katialief.com/uk.php

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here they are:

Der Domino-KillerEs ist niemals vorbei 3 Wochen bis zur WahrheitNur 15 Sekunden48 Stunden5 Tage im Sommer7 Minuten zu spätTödliche Gaben

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I have a friend who speaks German - I'll see if she can stop by and translate some of your titles. BTW - that title with the blood coming out of the shower head is very scary!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here is a British cover - it looks like there are more to come.

You Are Next

And there are details at the British site about a September 2011 release:

Five Days

September 2011

Before the long drive home from vacation, Emily Parker made a quick run to the grocery store...and disappeared. When her car is found abandoned in the parking lot, her husband, Will, turns to a retired FBI profiler named John Geary for help. As her family scours the Cape for her, Emily's thoughts are not on her own safety. Kept helpless in a madman's lair, she watches him prepare a five-day countdown that will bring him to his real victim—her seven-year-old son....

Will this be a Katia title?

Author
Keri_Stevens
0 Kudos

Okay, from the German I get...

The Domino Killer

It's Never Over

Three Week Until Reality (or "to")

Only 15 Seconds

48 Hours

Five Days in Summer

Seven Minutes Too Late

Deadly Gifts: The most thrill Christmas (somethings--font too small for me to make out.)

How'd I do?

(It's been, like, 23 years since I've been in Germany.)

Your nook wants you to order Stone Kissed.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Keri - THANK YOU SO MUCH! Katia, did your publisher offer translations for you? Did Keri nail them?

(BTW, Keri is a great person to have along at German restaurants - she can translate all the bawdy German beer-drinking songs!)

Author
Keri_Stevens
0 Kudos

That would be "Thrilling"....sigh.

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Not bad, Kerri!  All correct (I think) except for one:

The Domino Killer - yes

It's Never Over - maybe, honestly not sure, this one is new to me too

Three Week Until Reality (or "to") - Three Weeks Until the Truth

Only 15 Seconds - yes

48 Hours - yes

Five Days in Summer - yes

Seven Minutes Too Late - yes

Deadly Gifts: The most thrill Christmas (somethings--font too small for me to make out.) -  yes

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Sorry, that should be Keri with one r....

Author
Keri_Stevens
0 Kudos

No problem Katia (you know you're "Katia Ran" in German, right? or, colloquially, perhaps "Katie, preferred.")

I think I'll raise myself a glass of Riesling after 5p and sing Becke's favorite:

Alles hat ein' Ende

Nur die Wuerst hat zwei

(Everything has an end. Only the sausage has two.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Keri_Stevens wrote:

No problem Katia (you know you're "Katia Ran" in German, right? or, colloquially, perhaps "Katie, preferred.")

I think I'll raise myself a glass of Riesling after 5p and sing Becke's favorite:

Alles hat ein' Ende

Nur die Wuerst hat zwei

LOL! I think that should be a new feature at our RWA chapter Christmas party - Keri singing (and translating) German songs!

Keri - I'm impressed that you go nearly everything right! Congratulations!

Katia - do you have those copies in your own collection? That would be kind of fun!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Keri_Stevens wrote:

Alles hat ein' Ende

Nur die Wuerst hat zwei

Becke wrote:

LOL! I think that should be a new feature at our RWA chapter Christmas party - Keri singing (and translating) German songs!

Keri - I'm impressed that you go nearly everything right! Congratulations!

Katia - do you have those copies in your own collection? That would be kind of fun!

I have all the German copies here...lots and lots of copies.  I love giving them away when I meet someone who reads German.  Keri...send me your address (offline) and I will send you a care package of German books!

Author
Keri_Stevens
0 Kudos

Katia,

That would be lovely, thank you! Reading is the only practice I get these days. I will enjoy the books so much.

Keri

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Keri wrote:

That would be lovely, thank you! Reading is the only practice I get these days. I will enjoy the books so much.

Keri

My pleasure!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KatiaLief wrote:

Keri wrote:

Keri

My pleasure!

Keri - I've read the two Katia Lief books, and they are VERY good! Also nerve-wracking and scary! I still have to read her Kate Pepper books - they look really good!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Five Days

September 2011

Before the long drive home from vacation, Emily Parker made a quick run to the grocery store...and disappeared. When her car is found abandoned in the parking lot, her husband, Will, turns to a retired FBI profiler named John Geary for help. As her family scours the Cape for her, Emily's thoughts are not on her own safety. Kept helpless in a madman's lair, she watches him prepare a five-day countdown that will bring him to his real victim—her seven-year-old son....

Will this be a Katia title?

----

They are going to change to title to FIVE DAYS TO DIE for the UK edition.

Frequent Contributor
Mysterylover1138
0 Kudos

Katia,

Not many people can work the schedule I do and actually enjoy it.  Honestly it isn't too bad, and I get a lot of reading done.  I put you on my TBR list, definatly going to get all of your novels soon and going to read them :smileyhappy:

I saw that Becke posted some foreign titles, does it amaze you that readers across the globe can enjoy your work?

Do any of your characters take a different turn from where you wanted them to go at the idea stage to the finished project?

What other things besides writing do you enjoy doing, like what are some of your other hobbies?

How often do you meet with your agent and publisher to come up with deadlines and to have idea sessions?

Hope December started off good for you and everyone else here.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Leigh

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, Leigh, thanks for giving me an excuse to add a pretty graphic!