Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author KATIA LIEF!

Leigh wrote:

I saw that Becke posted some foreign titles, does it amaze you that readers across the globe can enjoy your work?

Yes, definitely!  It doesn't seem real.

Do any of your characters take a different turn from where you wanted them to go at the idea stage to the finished project?

Almost always, because they grow and change on the page as the story develops.  In fact it's always best when the character takes on a life of her own.

What other things besides writing do you enjoy doing, like what are some of your other hobbies?

Well, I love to read.  Reading is probably my top choice when I have a bit of spare time. I do yoga and pilates at the local Y a few times a week. And I love to take long walks when I can.  In the spring and summer I enjoy working in my garden, though I'm not an expert at it.  And I really enjoy baking, though I don't do it very often because I also enjoy eating what I bake. :smileyhappy:

How often do you meet with your agent and publisher to come up with deadlines and to have idea sessions?

We email a lot, but we rarely meet or speak on the phone.  We probably get together in person once or twice a year.  But emails fly frequently.  Deadlines are usually set at contract time, and ideas are discussed when I let them know what I'd like to do next and they get to react.  If someone feels very strongly about an idea, one way or another, we discuss it.  But when all is said and done, I'm on my own until it's time to show a completed manuscript.  My favorite part of the process is when I'm working quietly on my own for months on end.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome, Katia. Like Tigger Bear, I have You Are Next in my TRB file, courtesy of becke who sent the book to me in the last Got Books? packet. It certainly sounds as though it will be a thrilling tale! I am saving it now until the fall semester is over, and I can enjoy it more fully during the break. I do have a couple of questions for you, and forgive me if these have already been asked:

--What kinds of books did you read when you were a child? Did you have a particular series or author who was your favorite? What about now?

Do you enjoy reading mysteries, or do you prefer other genres of fiction or non-fiction to read in your free time?

--Do you have any favorite kind of music that you listen to that helps you get in the writing mood?

--Have you ever based one of your fictional characters(not necessarily the protagonist) on someone you know?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka - I bought Katia's books and then received review copies from her publisher. Which is why I had extras to share!

Katia - I'm not allowed to have "contests" here, so I reward our regular participants by sharing books with them. The deal we have is that they buy the author's other books here! Some are like me - once we find an author we like, their whole book list ends up in our to-be-read pile!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Hi Fricka,

Nice to meet you here!  Good luck finishing the semester; it's almost over....

I don't mind answering questions twice, and may even give slightly different answers :smileyhappy:

--What kinds of books did you read when you were a child? Did you have a particular series or author who was your favorite? What about now?

When I was nine or ten, I fell in love with the BORN FREE books, yes, about Elsa the lion. Those were the first books that truly capitivated me, and I admit that I still feel an itch to visit Africa whenever I see a photo of a lion.  It could also account for my love of cats!  I also remember reading LOVE STORY, and a fantasy novel about knights.  Generally, though, as a child I was not a huge reader.  I loved to play kickball outside with my friends, ride my bike, play games, hang out with my best friend, bake cakes, etc.

As a teenager I read a lot of science fiction, but also loved the work of deep, difficult novelists like Franz Kafka, Virginia Woolf, Fyodor Dovstoyesvsy, William Faulkner, etc.  I  read whatever I wanted to, and also of course what I needed to read for school.

As an adult, I love love love to read, and I read across the board. Basically, I love any book that's a good book, and they can be found anywhere. 

--Do you enjoy reading mysteries, or do you prefer other genres of fiction or non-fiction to read in your free time?

Yes, and yes!  I probably read more mainstream novels than mysteries, but I will read whatever catches my fancy.  I want to read more biographies because I love learning about whole lives.

--Do you have any favorite kind of music that you listen to that helps you get in the writing mood?

Having grown up with a classical musican for a father, whose harpsicord playing wafting up from the living room often lulled me to sleep, I find classical music deeply moving--always.  But I love other kinds of music, too, particularly folk and jazz.  For a while I was feeling very inspired by Joni Mitchell.  Lately my teenage son has introduced me to great new bands that have seeped into my consciousness, such as the Fleet Foxes, Wilco, the Raconteurs, and TV on the Radio.  In fact, I wrote a snippet of TV on the Radio's lyrics into NEXT TIME YOU SEE ME, which required getting permission from their music publisher.  It was kind of a big deal but I stuck with it.  I guess that's inspiration!

--Have you ever based one of your fictional characters(not necessarily the protagonist) on someone you know?

Sometimes, but it's rare, and ultimately a character inspired by a real person will morph into him or herself.

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Becke wrote:

Fricka - I bought Katia's books and then received review copies from her publisher. Which is why I had extras to share!

Katia - I'm not allowed to have "contests" here, so I reward our regular participants by sharing books with them. The deal we have is that they buy the author's other books here! Some are like me - once we find an author we like, their whole book list ends up in our to-be-read pile!

Becke, I am totally okay with that!  I love encountering enthusiastic readers, regardless of whether they purchased my book, borrowed it from a library, or got it from a friend. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I can't believe it's Friday already - where did the week go?

Katia - Technically, you are featured until I post the next author introduction on Sunday night. I leave it up to authors whether they want to stop in over the weekend or not. The weekends here are unpredictable - sometimes it's really busy, sometimes it's dead as a doornail. If you have things going on and don't have time to hang out, we'll understand. On the other hand, if you feel like visiting, we'd like that, too!

I'm going to a big book signing at the Barnes & Noble store in West Chester, Ohio tomorrow afternoon. If any of you are in the area, it's going to be fun - lots of authors! It runs from 1 - 3. I'll check in here when I get back.

Before the weekend, I have one more question: what is a little-known fact about you?

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Becke wrote:

Before the weekend, I have one more question: what is a little-known fact about you?

Here's one that's much on my mind right this minute:  Today, December 3, 2010 is my grandmother Frances's 100th birthday!  And she is living on her own and doing just fine, thank you very much. I sent her 100 roses.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KatiaLief wrote:

Becke wrote:

Here's one that's much on my mind right this minute:  Today, December 3, 2010 is my grandmother Frances's 100th birthday!  And she is living on her own and doing just fine, thank you very much. I sent her 100 roses.

That is AMAZING!! Sending birthday wishes from all of us at B&N's Mystery Book Club!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Katia - tell us about the MWA party you mentioned on your Facebook page. I'm starstruck - you met Harlan Coben!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Becke wrote:

Katia - tell us about the MWA party you mentioned on your Facebook page. I'm starstruck - you met Harlan Coben!

That's a picture of my husband Oliver with Harlan Coben...I've met him before and he's a very nice man.  It was a holiday party for the New York chapter of Mystery Writers of America, of which I'm a member.  A wonderful group of people who I enjoy seeing from time to time at these events.  Oh...and I should add that I was one of three people who won the raffle that night:  two free tickets to the play The 39 Steps.  It was the first time I've ever won anything in my whole life!  So that, of course, was fun too....

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Congratulations - what a great prize! If you think of it, come back and tell us how the play was. I've heard really good things about it!

I didn't realize that was your husband in the picture with Harlan Coben. *waves* Welcome to the Mystery Book Club, Oliver - even if it was an unintentional visit!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

We plan to see the play next week, for my husband Oliver's birthday.  I'll drop back in and let you know how it was!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KatiaLief wrote:

We plan to see the play next week, for my husband Oliver's birthday.  I'll drop back in and let you know how it was!

This is a big month for birthdays in your family!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Katia - thanks so much for joining us this week. It's been a lot of fun getting to know you!

I hope a lot of readers discover your books!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Well if you check back in Ms. Lief or if you want to pass it on Becke.

Finished reading your book this afternoon and well... (whistles) Whoa!:smileysurprised:

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

Hello Katia,

Next Time You See Me is on my TBR list.

I first "met" you through Author Buzz back in October.

Thanks for stopping by B&N and chatting.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Well if you check back in Ms. Lief or if you want to pass it on Becke.

Finished reading your book this afternoon and well... (whistles) Whoa!:smileysurprised:

I hope more people read them - they are really good!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

jabrkeKB wrote:

Hello Katia,

Next Time You See Me is on my TBR list.

I first "met" you through Author Buzz back in October.

Thanks for stopping by B&N and chatting.

Thanks for joining us! I'm sure Katia will be checking in again. If not, I'll let her know about your post!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Thanks so much to everyone who stopped in to say hello last week.  It was a lot of fun, and I felt so welcomed.  Hope to 'meet' you again soon!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KatiaLief wrote:

Thanks so much to everyone who stopped in to say hello last week.  It was a lot of fun, and I felt so welcomed.  Hope to 'meet' you again soon!

Good morning, Katia - let me know whenever you schedule a B&N book signing - I'll announce it here!

good-morning Glitter graphics