becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author KRISTA DAVIS!

KristaDavis wrote:

That's always nice to hear, TiggerBear!  I guess we all have different topics that draw us in. 

I like to eat (too much!) and to entertain, so this series is a natural fit for me.  My friends don't mind taste-testing my recipes, either.  I've been working on getting a Red Velvet cupcake recipe just right.  Consequently, my poor mom has a freezer full of Red Velvet cupcakes that I didn't think were red enough or rich enough.  She's actually pretty happy about it!

Red Velvet cupcakes . . . you guys are the devil. (She says as she stares as her bowl of almost-cold oatmeal with disgust.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KristaDavis wrote:

Wow.  Great questions, Becke!

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

I think I concentrate on sight the most.  People are always doing something, often something suspicious.  So Sophie observes people -- their quirks, mannerisms, whether they can look someone in the eye, or are sneaking around. 

Anyone who has ever people-watched in an airport or other public place knows how much you can tell about someone just through observation.

Obviously hearing is important to a sleuth, too.  The way in which people respond can be as important as what they actually say.  People who are hiding something often lie.

Since there is always food and cooking in my books, taste and smell play a role, too.  Mostly for pleasure, though, less for sleuthing.

My friend Janet Bolin has a wonderful new series debuting next year -- the Threadville Mysteries.  Because fabrics are important in her books, she uses the sense of touch much more than I do.

Great answer! I'm intrigued by the Threadville Mysteries - Annette Blair writes about vintage clothes in her mystery series, and Barbara Michaels wrote two fabulous books called Shattered Silk and Stitches in Time that involve fabrics, too. 

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

This is such a tough question.  My first thought goes straight to the classics.  To Kill A Mockingbird, for instance.  More recently, though, from a writer's standpoint, I think I would have enjoyed writing Lillian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who series.  Quill, Koko, and Yum Yum felt like old friends, and I was always thrilled to follow their latest adventure.  While it's not the type of thing I write, the Harry Potter series would have been lovely to write, too.  And not just for the money!  I love the thought that went into the details in those books.  What a fabulous world JK Rowling created!

Oh, Harry Potter. Hard to remember what life was like before Harry! I still remember the magic of reading that first book, which is still my favorite. How real his world has become to all of us!

Author
JanetBolin
0 Kudos

Thanks for saying you're intrigued by the Threadville Mystery series, Becke! I'm intrigued, too, but then, I'm the one writing them. I love everything to do with fabric. Don't tell anyone, but I have been known to enjoy ironing...

I just turned in the first manuscript in the Threadville Mystery series to my publisher, Berkley Prime Crime, so now we're in the Countdown to Publication - 12 months! And counting.

I am one of Krista's oldest...no, wait, that doesn't sound right... Let me rephrase it. I have been a great fan of Krista's writing since long before her first book was published. Recently, I read The Diva Takes the Cake for the third (!) time, and I still found new things to make me smile. And laugh out loud. I love her sense of humor. She can always surprise me, the mark of a really good writer.

Okay, must get back to the sort of "work" my protagonist does - playing with embroidery software. It's a tough life.

Janet

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JanetBolin wrote:

Thanks for saying you're intrigued by the Threadville Mystery series, Becke! I'm intrigued, too, but then, I'm the one writing them. I love everything to do with fabric. Don't tell anyone, but I have been known to enjoy ironing...

I just turned in the first manuscript in the Threadville Mystery series to my publisher, Berkley Prime Crime, so now we're in the Countdown to Publication - 12 months! And counting.

I am one of Krista's oldest...no, wait, that doesn't sound right... Let me rephrase it. I have been a great fan of Krista's writing since long before her first book was published. Recently, I read The Diva Takes the Cake for the third (!) time, and I still found new things to make me smile. And laugh out loud. I love her sense of humor. She can always surprise me, the mark of a really good writer.

Okay, must get back to the sort of "work" my protagonist does - playing with embroidery software. It's a tough life.

Janet

There are a lot of needlework fans here - I think you're going to collect a following of our regulars!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

KristaDavis wrote:

That's always nice to hear, TiggerBear!  I guess we all have different topics that draw us in. 

I like to eat (too much!) and to entertain, so this series is a natural fit for me.  My friends don't mind taste-testing my recipes, either.  I've been working on getting a Red Velvet cupcake recipe just right.  Consequently, my poor mom has a freezer full of Red Velvet cupcakes that I didn't think were red enough or rich enough.  She's actually pretty happy about it!

Red Velvet cupcakes . . . you guys are the devil. (She says as she stares as her bowl of almost-cold oatmeal with disgust.)

Becke I've got healthy nockout recipes for oatmeal if you want them.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Tigger - Actually, I love oatmeal. It just doesn't stand up against cupcakes.

I'm intrigued, though - since you are our official food maven, go ahead and post the recipes.

Maybe Krista will share some of hers, too.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Krista - Will you be doing any book signings this summer? Or will you be at any events where readers can meet you?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Krista  A pleasure to meet you,although I have been on http://www.killercharacters.com/ The Cozy Chicks,and following all of you on twitter.Just from your posts and all The Cozy Chicks,and Guys So much creativity.recipes and making me laugh  What a "Group" As Becke has said 'This Thread is your's"..We do check our Author Threads to see what you are all up to..You are TBR Krista...Maggie S and Heather W have been my onlys for a long time  Must Branch out...Enjoy your Stay at "BN..Decorate any way you wish..:  ) Susan Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Krista, you're series is great and best of luck with this new book.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Oh, Becke! You're too funny. Oatmeal is a wonderful cold weather breakfast.  But cupcakes -- yum!  They're good anytime!

~ Krista

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

I'm so glad that Janet chimed in about her Threadville Mysteries.  Sewing enthusiasts will be especially delighted by her series.  I can't hold a candle to Janet when it comes to sewing, but I've had the very good luck to be one of her first readers, and her book is wonderful!

You're so right about Harry Potter, Becke.  He changed the landscape of our world.  Isn't that remarkable!

~ Krista

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

I'm planning to spend a few days in North Carolina this summer with Avery Aames (Cheese Mysteries), Riley Adams (Memphis Barbecue Mysteries), and Ellery Adams (By the Bay Mysteries).  It should be a lot of fun!  I don't have firm dates yet, but I'll share the dates and locations here when I have them!

~ Krista

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Susan, I love Maggie and Heather!  They're such nice people -- in addition to writing wonderful books!  Thanks so much for welcoming me here.  I'm planning to stick around for a while. 

I'm delighted to hear that you've been to http://www.killercharacters.com since we're having so much fun with it.  In case anyone is wondering what that's about (Oh no! Not another blog!), our characters have taken over the blog and they're doing the blogging.  Frankly, it's great to have someone else doing some of the work!  :smileyvery-happy:

~ Krista

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Thank you so much, MaxCat!  That's lovely of you to say.  Thanks for the luck, too.  I could use some luck! 

~ Krista

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KristaDavis wrote:

I'm planning to spend a few days in North Carolina this summer with Avery Aames (Cheese Mysteries), Riley Adams (Memphis Barbecue Mysteries), and Ellery Adams (By the Bay Mysteries).  It should be a lot of fun!  I don't have firm dates yet, but I'll share the dates and locations here when I have them!

~ Krista

I was excited to meet Avery last October at (my first) Bouchercon - we were both attending Donald Maass' workshop, as I recall, and I still have the promo card she gave me.

What is it with cozies and food, anyway? There were maybe two food-related series I can remember from the 1970s and 80s, but now readers seem to CRAVE food books - and craft-related cozies, too. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

KristaDavis wrote:

Susan, I love Maggie and Heather!  They're such nice people -- in addition to writing wonderful books!  Thanks so much for welcoming me here.  I'm planning to stick around for a while. 

I'm delighted to hear that you've been to http://www.killercharacters.com since we're having so much fun with it.  In case anyone is wondering what that's about (Oh no! Not another blog!), our characters have taken over the blog and they're doing the blogging.  Frankly, it's great to have someone else doing some of the work!  :smileyvery-happy:

~ Krista

Krista What fun you will have In The Carolina's as many BNers can attest to..Avery Caught my eye,,I am a Cheese foodie..Why you may ask ?I Live in Vermont and well we do have Excellent Cheese..I am having so much fun on KC and Cozy Chicks,,ITS NOT JUST ANOTHER BLOG...I now Must have one of your books as well,very well received I have heard  :  )..The TBR..I divided it up "cozies"..have Their  own Page...It helps me when I am out and about or placing an online order...Thanks so much for your time...We all fell in love with Heather with "truly,madly.  Lucy,Dovie.....Maggie,I love her stories,setting and of course her Characters  and all that "Yarn" and coffee......Take Care  Suze/SusanVtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
pen21
0 Kudos

Krista,

Welcome to the mystery board. I saw your 'day' on the killercharacters.com. I really like cozies, sometimes I just need a fun read. I will look for your books. I had to check out the divamysteries website. It is great you have recipes.

pen21

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Tigger - Actually, I love oatmeal. It just doesn't stand up against cupcakes.

I'm intrigued, though - since you are our official food maven, go ahead and post the recipes.

Maybe Krista will share some of hers, too.

Do you want them here or... don't want to rain on Krista's party.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Krista - would you like to post some recipes here, and have Tigger post some here, too? Otherwise she can post them on the First Look Party thread.

Tigger - I'll leave the choice to Krista.

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Sorry for the delay in replying to the 6 questions.  I was called away form the computer (imagine that!) for an emergency last night.

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

Oh dear!  I'm afraid I don't watch Castle.  Please don't throw tomatoes at me!  Nathan and Gerard are both hot.  Maybe I *should* watch the show!

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best? //

I really don't watch TV mysteries.  Sometimes I think that's a bit odd since I love mysteries.  On the other hand, I do watch documentaries and shows about real life mysteries.

I love movies that are mysteries.  I liked What Lies Beneath and Disturbia (warning, it's scary!).  But my favorites are still the oldies, especially Hitchcock.  He really was a master.  Who doesn't remember Psycho, Dial M for Murder, and Rear Window?  Rebecca comes to mind, too. 

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

I think I'm a little bit of both.  The thought of having to write a detailed outline makes me want to crawl under the covers and hide.  So, to a great extent, I am a pantser.  However, I have to know the background details from my killer's point of view.  What was the motive for the murder?  What exactly happened?  What did he/she plan and what went wrong?  So, from that standpoint, I do plot.  I don't just dive in without any idea where the story is going.  I work hard on my plots, but I don't outline them in detail.  And I'm open to major changes as I go along.  Sometimes my characters do things that surprise me!

Tomorrow -- the answers to question 5!  If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

~ Krista