Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author KRISTA DAVIS!

[ Edited ]

Christmas seems so far away right now with all the summer flowers just coming into bloom. But before long, the humidity will abate, we'll be donning our warm jackets again, Christmas lights will glow in the long winter nights, and The Diva Cooks A Goose will be in bookstores.  It's available for pre-order now.  I think Becke just posted the cover.  This is the first official public viewing of it.  So far, only my newsletter subscribers have gotten a peek.

Sophie's brother and sister-in-law are hosting the holiday festivites this time.  They get off to a bad start, though, when an enterprising thief steals the gifts on Christmas Eve during the local children's pageant.  To make matters worse, the sister-in-law's parents are newly separated.  When her father shows up with another woman on his arm, more than one person is thinking of murder!

~ Krista

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Thank you so much, Eadie.  I'm delighted that you enjoyed The Diva Paints the Town, and pleased that it kept you guessing.  Becke has quite a line-up this month.  I have a feeling your TBR pile is going to topple over!

Five deans!  Wow.  That must be a demanding job.  I was honored to be included in The Virginia Festival of the Book in Charlottesville in the spring.  What fun!  It's such a well organized event.  You'll have to visit your daughter during the Festival sometime. They had a children's track as well and my favorite title was Is Your Mama a Llama?  Maybe Evie would enjoy that!

Thank you so much for being so welcoming!

~ Krista

Author
WendyLynWatson
0 Kudos

I love the Diva books!!!  And what fun to do a Christmas book ... can't wait.

As a northern gal (originally), I scoffed at the notion of Christmas in Virginia.  But then I spent a few years in Williamsburg, and I had to eat my words.  Virginians may not have much snow to work with, but they still know how to make the yuletide merry. :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I always like holiday books, too, so I'm sure I'll be getting this one!

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Welcome, Wendy!  It's nice to see you here.  For those of you who don't know, Wendy writes ice cream mysteries!  I Scream, You Scream 

But Wendy, the holidays can be fun anywhere.  Everyone is so full of expectations and cheer.  And those inevitable disappointments are perfect for murder.

~ Krista

Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

I adore the new cover, Krista. There's nothing quite like a Christmas cozy. How did you get started writing? Did you always want to be a writer?

Oh, and IS YOUR MAMA A LLAMA remains one of my kids' (mine too) favorite books--and they're all teens now. Love, love, love it.

Writing as Heather Webber:
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY ~ February 2011
Writing as Heather Blake:
IT TAKES A WITCH ~ January 2012
My blog: www.booksbyheather.net
www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Krista - did you plan for this to be a series from the start, or did you originally plan for just a single book?

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Hi Heather!  It's great to see you here! 

I loved books and reading when I was a child.  I remember sitting in my bedroom, looking out the window, and thinking how wonderful books were because they could take you anywhere in the world.  I was a devoted Nancy Drew fan and moved on to my brother's Hardy Boys books.  Actually, it was my brother who brought me a book of hair-raising short stories when I had the chicken pox.  Ack!  I vividly remember being scared to death by the Sherlock Holmes story The Adventure of the Speckled Band.  That was such a scary story about the snake coming though an air vent.  Does anyone else remember that one?  

Even in high school I focused on writing and literature.  Somehow, I drifted away from writing in college and went in another direction.  But I came back to it!  : )  When you enjoy writing, I guess you work your way back eventually.

~ Krista

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Becke, the domestic divas were always intended to be a series. 

My agent had submitted a different proposal to my editor.  She asked if it would appeal to readers of Real Simple.  I had never read it, so off I went to the drugstore to see what it was.  It was there that I realized Real Simple is the anti-Martha.  The idea of two domestic divas with different approaches came to me as a result.  Sophie loves to entertain, hates to clean, and keeps things simple.  Natasha is the one who has never met a complicated craft she didn't adore, and thinks we should all hand-embroider our bed linens.

Those who aren't divas might relate to Sophie's best friend, Nina Reid Norwood, who thinks a telephone is the most important meal preparation tool in her kitchen.  Nina has been known to put take-out in pots and pans to fool her mother-in-law into believing she cooked.  :smileywink:

~ Krista

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Martha and the anti-Martha - I love it! I've had two of your books in my TBR pile for awhile; I need to spend a week doing nothing but reading!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Krista - Not sure if I mentioned this: this is "your" thread now. You can come back and post updates on it any time in the future - when you have a new book out, if you are a guest blogger, if you are interviewed someplace, if you're doing a B&N book signing - this is a great place to share your news. 

You, and any of you who are featured here or who have posted on the cozy thread, can bring those threads to the front of the board by adding a new comment. If you come back a couple months from now, just search your name in the box at the top right and any threads that mention you will show up in the search, along with the number of people who have viewed those threads. You'll be amazed how the view count continues to go up and up long after your visit!

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Becke, I think you need to take a cyber vacation to the wonderful English manor house you set up for mystery readers.  I absolutely love it.  Today I'm sure we'd be scattered about the garden, reading cozies!

Sometimes I think people shy away from my books because of the domestic diva concept.  They certainly do involve food and cooking, and there are tips in every book, but some readers have been surprised to find that they also poke a little bit of fun at domestic divas who go over the top.

Not only do Sophie and Natasha have different ideas about domestic matters, but there's the little issue of Sophie's ex-husband, who has set up housekeeping with Natasha.  To make matters worse, they've moved into a house on Sophie's block.  That does make it easier for Sophie and her ex to share custody of their hound mix, Daisy, but it also means Natasha is a part of Sophie's daily life.

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Oh my goodness!  I had no idea.  That's wonderful.  I'll consider this my little area of your manor house.  I think we're in the conservatory, surrounded by lush plants. Tea is being served with pastries made by the French chef.  Some chocolate Napoleons, perhaps, and dainty petit fours.  After dark tiny fairy lights twinkle above like little stars against the night sky and cocktails are offered!

This is terrific, Becke.  Thanks!

~ Krista

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Krista - while I know B&N put a lot of thought into the neutral colors on this site, I'm over-50 and fond of color and bling, so I'm always trying to decorate this place.

I discovered I wasn't alone and we ended up devoting a "party" thread to the concept that this is a real hang-out and not just a virtual chat room/forum. Check out the First Look Book Club and Party Central -- it's our totally off-topic thread where everyone lets their imaginations run wild. We have virtual parties, a whole virtual village with the Mimosa Cafe, a needlework store and hot cabana boys. It's open to everyone, but the number of posts (and the craziness of the posts) scares some people off!

I bought this book awhile ago because my email has been Treethyme for years, and I loved the title:

The Diva Runs Out of Thyme 

Should I read that one first, or is it important to read them in order?

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Becke, I would like to think that each book can stand alone. 

I've heard from a number of readers that they read The Diva Paints the Town and then went back and started the series in the beginning.  While it doesn't really matter, there are some threads that run through the books, as well as developments that build, so for anyone who is debating, I think I'd recommend starting with The Diva Runs Out of Thyme.

~ Krista

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KristaDavis wrote:

Becke, I think you need to take a cyber vacation to the wonderful English manor house you set up for mystery readers.  I absolutely love it.  Today I'm sure we'd be scattered about the garden, reading cozies!

Sometimes I think people shy away from my books because of the domestic diva concept.  They certainly do involve food and cooking, and there are tips in every book, but some readers have been surprised to find that they also poke a little bit of fun at domestic divas who go over the top.

Not only do Sophie and Natasha have different ideas about domestic matters, but there's the little issue of Sophie's ex-husband, who has set up housekeeping with Natasha.  To make matters worse, they've moved into a house on Sophie's block.  That does make it easier for Sophie and her ex to share custody of their hound mix, Daisy, but it also means Natasha is a part of Sophie's daily life.

Um not me. Actually they are the flavor cozy I prefer; food or art.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Krista - Awhile back I asked people in my local writer's group to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors. This is what they came up with:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

That's always nice to hear, TiggerBear!  I guess we all have different topics that draw us in. 

I like to eat (too much!) and to entertain, so this series is a natural fit for me.  My friends don't mind taste-testing my recipes, either.  I've been working on getting a Red Velvet cupcake recipe just right.  Consequently, my poor mom has a freezer full of Red Velvet cupcakes that I didn't think were red enough or rich enough.  She's actually pretty happy about it!

Author
KristaDavis
0 Kudos

Wow.  Great questions, Becke!

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

I think I concentrate on sight the most.  People are always doing something, often something suspicious.  So Sophie observes people -- their quirks, mannerisms, whether they can look someone in the eye, or are sneaking around. 

Anyone who has ever people-watched in an airport or other public place knows how much you can tell about someone just through observation.

Obviously hearing is important to a sleuth, too.  The way in which people respond can be as important as what they actually say.  People who are hiding something often lie.

Since there is always food and cooking in my books, taste and smell play a role, too.  Mostly for pleasure, though, less for sleuthing.

My friend Janet Bolin has a wonderful new series debuting next year -- the Threadville Mysteries.  Because fabrics are important in her books, she uses the sense of touch much more than I do.

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

This is such a tough question.  My first thought goes straight to the classics.  To Kill A Mockingbird, for instance.  More recently, though, from a writer's standpoint, I think I would have enjoyed writing Lillian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who series.  Quill, Koko, and Yum Yum felt like old friends, and I was always thrilled to follow their latest adventure.  While it's not the type of thing I write, the Harry Potter series would have been lovely to write, too.  And not just for the money!  I love the thought that went into the details in those books.  What a fabulous world JK Rowling created!