Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

Re: Libby Hellmann

Re: Self-Publishing...

How much time do you have? No, seriously.... 

I think it's a great idea for authors whose backlists have gone out of print. It gives them "new life."

I also understand why so many "new" authors are self-publishing... they are hoping to be discovered by agents and editors who are trolling B&N and that other place for new talent.  Or they're hoping to strike gold... quite literally. 

I have self-published a novel, TOXICITY. And a collection of my short stories. And a novella. 

However, the problem is that there still aren't reliable ways for readers to separate the wheat from the chaff. There are too many authors who are bringing out ebooks... (and paperbacks) who have not mastered the craft of fiction writing. And their books show it. Occasionally you'll find a great story, or a writer who's not bad, but for the most part, I know after 2-3 paragraphs whether said "author" knows what they're doing. 

And I believe that bad writing devalues the process for all of us: readers and authors alike. 

I spoke at a Sisters in Crime event about the pros and cons of e-books... if your readers are interested, they can find it here: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaUVeHtCOQY

And I also blog about the current state of publishing, which, as we all know, is in total chaos these days, at SAY THE WORD: http://libbyhellmann.com/wp. (Although my recent posts have been about the new book.)

One of my blogposts went viral and ended up at Forbes.com. It was  --er-- about the other guys... and how I have my doubts about the "Select" program... even as I'm participating in it. That post is here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwcharmananderson/2012/01/30/ebooks-encourage-authors-to-stare-at-their...

It's a very difficult period right now for everyone, including, as you know, B&N. But as more and more book and reading-related activities move online, we also have new opportunities. 

Like your Book Club, Becke. :smileyhappy:

Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

You asked about my free time... What's that??? Seriously, promotion and writing take up most of my life. Which I recognize is NOT healthy. 

Actually, I am making an attempt to get a life this summer. For instance, two of my friends and I have decided to create an "Explore Chicago" program for ourselves. We each have places in the city we don't know well enough... for me, it's the Back of the Yards... for another it's the Pullman neighborhood, for another Bronzeville... so we've been doing research and we actually found both bike tours and bus tours that will take us to those places. We start next month when the weather is reliably warm. 

Now that my kids are grown and out of the house, I'm thinking about adopting two dogs... another friend of mine is moving and doesn't want to take them with her. They are adorable. Small.. poodle-ish types... so that will be a HUGE change -- we had a wonderful family Beagle, Shiloh, but he's been gone for years -- I think it's time to try again. 

I'm also giving myself permission to slow down. I don't HAVE to be on a book a year plan, and I don't want to be. I want to read, go to movies, listen to Blues, and meet the man of my dreams, of course. 

At least, I'm thinking in the right direction... 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LibbyfhLH wrote:

Re: Self-Publishing...

How much time do you have? No, seriously.... 

I think it's a great idea for authors whose backlists have gone out of print. It gives them "new life."

I also understand why so many "new" authors are self-publishing... they are hoping to be discovered by agents and editors who are trolling B&N and that other place for new talent.  Or they're hoping to strike gold... quite literally. 

I have self-published a novel, TOXICITY. And a collection of my short stories. And a novella. 

However, the problem is that there still aren't reliable ways for readers to separate the wheat from the chaff. There are too many authors who are bringing out ebooks... (and paperbacks) who have not mastered the craft of fiction writing. And their books show it. Occasionally you'll find a great story, or a writer who's not bad, but for the most part, I know after 2-3 paragraphs whether said "author" knows what they're doing. 

And I believe that bad writing devalues the process for all of us: readers and authors alike. 

I spoke at a Sisters in Crime event about the pros and cons of e-books... if your readers are interested, they can find it here: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaUVeHtCOQY

And I also blog about the current state of publishing, which, as we all know, is in total chaos these days, at SAY THE WORD: http://libbyhellmann.com/wp. (Although my recent posts have been about the new book.)

One of my blogposts went viral and ended up at Forbes.com. It was  --er-- about the other guys... and how I have my doubts about the "Select" program... even as I'm participating in it. That post is here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwcharmananderson/2012/01/30/ebooks-encourage-authors-to-stare-at-their...

It's a very difficult period right now for everyone, including, as you know, B&N. But as more and more book and reading-related activities move online, we also have new opportunities. 

Like your Book Club, Becke. :smileyhappy:

:-) Thanks for these fabulous links, Libby! Wow, Forbes - color me impressed!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LibbyfhLH wrote:

You asked about my free time... What's that??? Seriously, promotion and writing take up most of my life. Which I recognize is NOT healthy. 

Actually, I am making an attempt to get a life this summer. For instance, two of my friends and I have decided to create an "Explore Chicago" program for ourselves. We each have places in the city we don't know well enough... for me, it's the Back of the Yards... for another it's the Pullman neighborhood, for another Bronzeville... so we've been doing research and we actually found both bike tours and bus tours that will take us to those places. We start next month when the weather is reliably warm. 

Now that my kids are grown and out of the house, I'm thinking about adopting two dogs... another friend of mine is moving and doesn't want to take them with her. They are adorable. Small.. poodle-ish types... so that will be a HUGE change -- we had a wonderful family Beagle, Shiloh, but he's been gone for years -- I think it's time to try again. 

I'm also giving myself permission to slow down. I don't HAVE to be on a book a year plan, and I don't want to be. I want to read, go to movies, listen to Blues, and meet the man of my dreams, of course. 

I love the sound of the Explore Chicago program! A couple of my friends went on a tour of Haunted Chicago when they came up for RT. All the years I lived in Chicago and I never knew about this tour! So now I have tours on the brain. Explore Chicago sounds like it would be good for locals and visitors alike!

I want to get another dog, too, but it's hard when we're traveling a lot. 

I like your plan - good luck, I hope all your dreams come true!

Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

Haunted Chicago sounds like FUN!! We'll have to add that to the list...

Thanks, Becke... This has been a lot of fun. I appreciate the opportunity to chat...

If anyone would like to follow me on Facebook or Twitter, I'd love to "meet" you... here are those links...

http://www.facebook.com/authorLibbyFischerHellmann

@libbyfh (Twitter)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's always fun when you hang out with us, Libby - you never fail to amaze me with all you have going on! Congratulations on all the great reviews for A BITTER VEIL, by the way. I'm jealous of your writing skills!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

LibbyfhLH wrote:

*sigh* Looks as though I am late, late late, but I did want to extend a friendly greeting to Libby, even if it is belated.

I like the idea that she and her friend have to "Explore Chicago". Many people live in cities, but all they know about is the area they live in. When my best friend who lived in Glendale was still alive, we often went exploring through different parts of the Phoenix area--not just Phoenix or Glendale, but Scottsdale as well. Thanks to her, I met a lot of shopkeepers in the Catlin Court area of Glendale, which is noted for its antique shops and frequent "Affairs in the Park" events like the Chocolate Affair, which featured chocolates from Cerreta's, which is a chocolate factory located in Glendale. My friend has gone to the Rainbow Bridge to join her dogs now, but I still try to get out of my area and visit other places in either Phoenix or other places in Arizona.

Speaking of haunted tours, there is a hotel in Jerome(AZ) that is noted for being haunted. One of my students once told me a story that she and a friend thought they would spend a night there, but they ended up so frightened that they left in the middle of the night. I have forgotten all of the details, but remember enough that I have a mental note never to go there!!!!!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

Distinguished: I've actually been to Jerome! It's an awesome place... like going back to the late 60s... nothing has changed. I bought some stunning silver jewelry there, and we had lunch at the one hotel in the town, which may be where the haunted story is... I vaguely remember hearing about it. 

What's so amazing about Jerome is that it's built into the cliffs of whatever mountain range is there.. and it's absolutely stunning. 

They also have a great bar, with a Toulouse-Lautrec type mural on the wall. Unfortunately, they also have the TV tuned to football games, which is not what we wanted to hear... it clashed with the Dylan music next door... :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Libby - Thanks so much for hanging out with us this week! I wish you great success with your new book! This is "your" thread now - you're welcome to come back and post updates whenever you want!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's an update from Libby's newsletter:

Libby Fischer Hellmann

Five Reasons to Publish a Print Version of your Ebook

Those of us who have published our own ebooks over the past few years know it can be an exciting and profitable venture. And the ebook market is still growing, though not at the same pace as it was-but we knew that was bound to happen as the digital industry begins to mature. A Pew Research Center Poll in December 2012, for example, declared that 23% of Americans aged 16 and over read an ebook in 2012, up 7% over the year before, but those are not the triple digit numbers we saw in 2009-10.

Writing Lite #8 - Show, Don't Tell

We hear it over and over. "Show, Don't Tell."  But what does it mean and how do you do it? I explain in another Writing Lite.

Read More >>>

Author Superstars and Branding

There are superstar scientists, property developers, art dealers, actors, singers, models and brands.  It's a celebrity-mad world. But what about authors? Everyone knows you need to market your books if you want to make your career successful as a writer. But what about marketing yourself?

Read More >>>

Have a great weekend!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Libby Fischer Hellmann

writes the Ellie Foreman mysteries, the Georgia Davis thrillers, and several stand-alone thrillers. Her Ellie books are a cross between “Desperate Housewives” and “24”, but the Georgia Davis PI thrillers are more hard-boiled. Her stand-alones include a “trilogy” of thrillers set during the revolutions of Iran, Cuba, and the turbulent late Sixties in Chicago.

More Posts - Website

Follow Libby:
TwitterFacebookGoogle PlusYouTube

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Libby will be joining us the week of September 16. You might want to check out her recent blog posts prior to her visit:

Havana Lost  

Why I Started Writing

One of the most common question writers are asked is, "what made you start writing crime fiction?" For years I always answered the same way: I can tell you how and when I started writing, but I wasn't exactly sure why.

I didn't plan it. I was going to be a film-maker. I have an MFA in Film production from NYU and had visions of becoming the American Lina Wertmuller, riding into the sunset with Ingmar Bergman. Unfortunately, life had other plans.

Read More >>>

Book launch nerves - Havana Lost finally hits the street

My latest book, Havana Lost, recently went live on Amazon. And I can't help comparing what it used to be like launching a book with my traditional publishing head on to what it's like releasing a self-published novel.

Read More >>>

Revolution Noir - The darker side of conflict

Havana Lost has launched at last. Feedback has started to roll in. And I'm fascinated by how many readers say they are 'disturbed' by Frankie Pacelli's transformation from a young vulnerable likeable girl into-well (spoiler alert averted), what she ultimately became.

Read More >>>

Havana Found - A new English language bookstore in Havana

I like that my latest release, Havana Lost , hit the shelves around the same time a little miracle happened. After decades without an English language bookstore, one has opened in Havana. It's the first one since the revolution.