Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

Re: Libby's books - print, audio and ebooks

That is true... it is quite a departure for me. But not really. SET THE NIGHT ON FIRE also dealt with a society in turmoil... our own during the late Sixties. This time, though, I decided to tackle the Iranian revolution.

Why? 

It’s a strange story, and I still am not sure how I got it wrong. I went to a high school reunion years ago, and one of my former classmates told me how she’d fallen in love after college with an Iranian and moved with him to Tehran before the Shah left. Afterwards her life became difficult and ultimately impossible, and she came back to the States. I decided to fictionalize her story and when it was done, I, of course, called her to let her know what I’d done. When we finally connected, it turned out that she hadn’t gone to Iran at all. She’d gone to India! My first reaction was disbelief…how had I screwed that up? Clearly, it was a subconscious error. After a while, though, I realized it didn’t matter. I’d written the story I was supposed to write.

You see, I am drawn to stories about women who have no choices—whose options have been taken away from them. What I had in mind was just that kind of story. Plus, I’m a former history major, and I have always been captivated by the past and how we bend it, learn from it, or ignore it at our peril. A BITTER VEIL emerged from those two places.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LibbyfhLH wrote:

That is true... it is quite a departure for me. But not really. SET THE NIGHT ON FIRE also dealt with a society in turmoil... our own during the late Sixties. This time, though, I decided to tackle the Iranian revolution.

Why? 

It’s a strange story, and I still am not sure how I got it wrong. I went to a high school reunion years ago, and one of my former classmates told me how she’d fallen in love after college with an Iranian and moved with him to Tehran before the Shah left. Afterwards her life became difficult and ultimately impossible, and she came back to the States. I decided to fictionalize her story and when it was done, I, of course, called her to let her know what I’d done. When we finally connected, it turned out that she hadn’t gone to Iran at all. She’d gone to India! My first reaction was disbelief…how had I screwed that up? Clearly, it was a subconscious error. After a while, though, I realized it didn’t matter. I’d written the story I was supposed to write.

You see, I am drawn to stories about women who have no choices—whose options have been taken away from them. What I had in mind was just that kind of story. Plus, I’m a former history major, and I have always been captivated by the past and how we bend it, learn from it, or ignore it at our peril. A BITTER VEIL emerged from those two places.

As you know, I really liked SET THE NIGHT ON FIRE, in part because it brought back a lot of memories for me. 

I didn't realize you'd majored in history! Well, that makes sense.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What are you working on now, Libby? Is your next book already completed?

Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

My publisher calls it my "revolution trilogy" -- I'm almost done with a thriller that takes place largely in Cuba. This time I DID go... my daughter and went in February, and it was a life-altering experience. I could talk about it for hours. Anyway, the book (still untitled) is in 3 parts.. Part 1 is the revolution that brought in Fidel.. Part 2 is the Special Period in Cuba (their depression), and Part 3 is the present in Chicago. Three generations of the same family. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LibbyfhLH wrote:

My publisher calls it my "revolution trilogy" -- I'm almost done with a thriller that takes place largely in Cuba. This time I DID go... my daughter and went in February, and it was a life-altering experience. I could talk about it for hours. Anyway, the book (still untitled) is in 3 parts.. Part 1 is the revolution that brought in Fidel.. Part 2 is the Special Period in Cuba (their depression), and Part 3 is the present in Chicago. Three generations of the same family. 

This will be a must-read for me. I have a good friend who came to America in the 1950s after escaping from Cuba. Strange we know so little about Cuba, really, considering how close it is.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Libby!

I read your book EASY INNOCENCE and really enjoyed it! I will definitely have to pick up your new book and check it out! Cuba has a very interesting history and it's great that you and your daughter got to go there. Can't wait to read your book!

Hope you enjoy your visit with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

Thanks, Eadie... I'm glad you liked EASY INNOCENCE. That was the first Georgia Davis PI book. It was followed by DOUBLEBACK, in which Georgia and Ellie Foreman teamed up... it was also the first book where a major part of the action took place out of Chicago... in Arizona, actually, in a border town that looked and felt a lot like Douglas Arizona.... but a lot of bad things happened in that town so I renamed it "Stevens" ... 

Those of you from Illinois might appreciate the double entendre.

Anyway, last summer I released TOXICITY, which is the prequel to the Georgia Davis series. It takes place when Georgia was still a cop on a suburban Chicago force and was in love with a detective on the force. 

As you might imagine, since you read EASY INNOCENCE, the course of true love doesn't run smoothly. 

I'm actually anxious to get back to Georgia. I left her on page 60 of her 4th book so I could write SET THE NIGHT ON FIRE, A BITTER VEIL, and now the Cuba book. She's been asking where I've been. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Libby - I'm curious about your audiobooks. Do you have any say in the person who reads them? Does your publisher arrange for audiobooks to be made or is that up to the author?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

•  
  •   Launching A BITTER VEIL, my literary thriller set in Revolutionary Iran, with a new technology. I'll be hosting a Book Chat Live, with a new service that makes Skype look primitive. Hope you'll join me... there's room for 500 people, and you can ask questions, even chat among yourselves. For a reminder on the day of, go to http://bit.ly/H1kWyg.

Hope you'll kick back with your favorite beverage and join me on April 17 at 6:00 PM EDT (So plan accordingly).

Thanks.

Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

Whew! The video chat is DONE!!! It went well (thanks for posting it Becke), and I firmly believe that events like that -- plus forums like this -- are the wave of the future. People just don't have the time or the energy to traipse out to a book signing... and authors don't have the money or the time to be traipsing. 

Talking from the comfort of home and "Gathering around the computer screen" -- kind of like FDR's radio chats of old -- seem to me to make so much more sense. 

Even so, I was very nervous. To talk (ie radio) or type is one thing. To actually be seen by over 50 people is quite another. Yes it was just a head and shoulders shot... but I still had to remember to look at the camera... smile... and make sure my hair was combed. Glad it's over. Would I do it again? 

In a heartbeat. 

They might have a link.. if I get it, I'll post it for those who are interested.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LibbyfhLH wrote:

Whew! The video chat is DONE!!! It went well (thanks for posting it Becke), and I firmly believe that events like that -- plus forums like this -- are the wave of the future. People just don't have the time or the energy to traipse out to a book signing... and authors don't have the money or the time to be traipsing. 

Talking from the comfort of home and "Gathering around the computer screen" -- kind of like FDR's radio chats of old -- seem to me to make so much more sense. 

Even so, I was very nervous. To talk (ie radio) or type is one thing. To actually be seen by over 50 people is quite another. Yes it was just a head and shoulders shot... but I still had to remember to look at the camera... smile... and make sure my hair was combed. Glad it's over. Would I do it again? 

In a heartbeat. 

They might have a link.. if I get it, I'll post it for those who are interested.

Please do, Libby!

Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

Audios

Becke... you asked about audio... 

The entire process has changed dramatically over the past few years. It used to be that your agent or your publisher approached an audio producer, or they approached them... and the author kept their fingers croosed that it would work out. 

No longer. Like ebooks, audio proudction is now more under an author's control. Mostly because of Audible. They are trying to become the largest supplier of audios in the world, and they're making authors offers that are hard to refuse. If they think your book has sales potential, they basically subsidize most of the production costs if you go exclusive with them. Hard to turn down. The author, btw,

has total control over the narrator... we take auditions and can accept or refuse. Consequently ALL my novels are now in various stages of production. Seven are done... two were done years ago, and I've done five, both exclusive and non-exclusive with Audible. I've got two more in production. 

And the best news is they seem to be selling.

Who knew? 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Audios

LibbyfhLH wrote:

Becke... you asked about audio... 

The entire process has changed dramatically over the past few years. It used to be that your agent or your publisher approached an audio producer, or they approached them... and the author kept their fingers croosed that it would work out. 

No longer. Like ebooks, audio proudction is now more under an author's control. Mostly because of Audible. They are trying to become the largest supplier of audios in the world, and they're making authors offers that are hard to refuse. If they think your book has sales potential, they basically subsidize most of the production costs if you go exclusive with them. Hard to turn down. The author, btw,

has total control over the narrator... we take auditions and can accept or refuse. Consequently ALL my novels are now in various stages of production. Seven are done... two were done years ago, and I've done five, both exclusive and non-exclusive with Audible. I've got two more in production. 

And the best news is they seem to be selling.

Who knew? 

I'm really interested in this. Several of my friends whose books recently went to audio have said they're selling really well. There's so much talk about epub vs. print pub., but it sounds like audio is growing a lot, too. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, I forgot to ask - does the same person narrate all of your books?

Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Audios are indeed selling... and to new customers. I'm a prime example... I never listened much to audio unless I could get the CDs from the library, and then mostly in my car. 

Then I bought an iPhone. And everything changed.

I realized I could download MP3s directly to it. And then I discovered this adapter that you can buy at Best Buy that connects the MP3 output to an unused radio signal in your area. Which means I can listen to audio anytime I want in the car. I am now hungrily grabbing up audios and downloading them to my phone. The reception is really good, too! Of course, I can also listen to the audio in the house anytime. Or while waiting in a doctor's office (I now carry my earbuds in my purse)... So I've become a convert. 

As for the narrators of my books... 2 narrators are the same. EASY INNOCENCE and A PICTURE OF GUILT  were produced by Books in Motion before the audio revolution, and they share the same narrator.

In addition, SET THE NIGHT ON FIRE and A BITTER VEIL are produced with the same narrator: Diane Piron Gelman, whom I love.

But I've used different people for each of the other Ellie and Georgia books. They're all female, except for TOXICITY, which is currently in production with Barry Campbell...whose voice is very easy to listen to. 

That part of it has been really fun, actually. I think I have some terrific narrators... all of them.. (AN EYE FOR MURDER, A SHOT TO DIE FOR, DOUBLEBACK... and soon, AN IMAGE OF DEATH...) Your readers can listen to samples of them all on my website... 

In fact, it would be fun to do a straw poll... of the 6 or so that are already up, which narrator(s) do you like the most? 

Just head over to http://www.libbyhellmann.com/audiobooks.html

Let me know!! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LibbyfhLH wrote:

Audios are indeed selling... and to new customers. I'm a prime example... I never listened much to audio unless I could get the CDs from the library, and then mostly in my car. 

Then I bought an iPhone. And everything changed.

I realized I could download MP3s directly to it. And then I discovered this adapter that you can buy at Best Buy that connects the MP3 output to an unused radio signal in your area. Which means I can listen to audio anytime I want in the car. I am now hungrily grabbing up audios and downloading them to my phone. The reception is really good, too! Of course, I can also listen to the audio in the house anytime. Or while waiting in a doctor's office (I now carry my earbuds in my purse)... So I've become a convert. 

As for the narrators of my books... 2 narrators are the same. EASY INNOCENCE and A PICTURE OF GUILT  were produced by Books in Motion before the audio revolution, and they share the same narrator.

In addition, SET THE NIGHT ON FIRE and A BITTER VEIL are produced with the same narrator: Diane Piron Gelman, whom I love.

But I've used different people for each of the other Ellie and Georgia books. They're all female, except for TOXICITY, which is currently in production with Barry Campbell...whose voice is very easy to listen to. 

That part of it has been really fun, actually. I think I have some terrific narrators... all of them.. (AN EYE FOR MURDER, A SHOT TO DIE FOR, DOUBLEBACK... and soon, AN IMAGE OF DEATH...) Your readers can listen to samples of them all on my website... 

In fact, it would be fun to do a straw poll... of the 6 or so that are already up, which narrator(s) do you like the most? 

Just head over to http://www.libbyhellmann.com/audiobooks.html

Let me know!! 

Darn, I wish B&N would let me have contests here! Hmmmm, maybe I can come up with a non-rule-breaking way to reward the participants who take part in Libby's straw poll! ;-)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Libby Hellmann

Libby - What are your thoughts on self-publishing? So many authors seem to be republishing their backlists themselves these days.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Libby:

I listened to samples of your books and I like the voices in this order:

1. Diane Pirone Gelman

2. Karyn O'Bryant

3. Beth Richmond

4. Katherine Joan Taylor

5. Mary Conway

They all have nice voices but they are more pleasing to me in that order.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Libby - You always seem to have a lot going on. What do you do for fun and relaxation?

Author
LibbyfhLH
0 Kudos

Oooh, thanks Eadie... That's really interesting! I agree, Diane and Karyn are terrific. But then, I like them all.