Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author LUCY BURDETTE!

Lucy/Roberta - I've never been to Key West but it's always seemed kind of exotic to me. I was excited when I heard your new series was going to be set there. I like the way you weave Hayley's fictional world with the real world of Key West. Are you a celebrity there now? Did it worry you people would look for themselves in your book(s), since it's set in a (mostly) real place?

Author
Lucy_Burdette
0 Kudos

Thank you Eadie--so glad you liked it! Appetite is a little cozier than the advice column series, but I loved writing all of them!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Lucy_Burdette wrote:

Thank you Eadie--so glad you liked it! Appetite is a little cozier than the advice column series, but I loved writing all of them!

I have a copy of APPETITE on order. Can't wait to read it!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Eadie - I sent my golfing sister Roberta's golf mysteries, too, some time back. She loved them!

I was fascinated by the sand tray aspect of ASKING FOR MURDER because it reminded me of Japanese gardens! (My day job is a garden writer.)

I'll have to read the golfing series too since I have had a few lessons and my beach house is on the golf course. I definitely need more lessons though. I like to ride in the cart and read a book while my husband golfs. I get out when he is on the green because I like to putt. Lol!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Lucy_Burdette
0 Kudos

Good morning Becke! Actually every book I've written has been set in a real place. As a reader, I like reading about real towns--it's almost like traveling but without the hassles:smileyhappy:. And trust me, when it comes to Key West, I'm a small fish in a big pond. Ernest Hemingway was probably the most famous writer in town, but they also boast Judy Blume, Meg Cabot, Annie Dillard, and lots of other big names.

You all will have to visit--it's the most interesting place!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lucy_Burdette wrote:

Good morning Becke! Actually every book I've written has been set in a real place. As a reader, I like reading about real towns--it's almost like traveling but without the hassles:smileyhappy:. And trust me, when it comes to Key West, I'm a small fish in a big pond. Ernest Hemingway was probably the most famous writer in town, but they also boast Judy Blume, Meg Cabot, Annie Dillard, and lots of other big names.

You all will have to visit--it's the most interesting place!

I knew about the Ernest Hemingway connection but not the others. Clearly I'm due for a visit to Key West!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lucy/Roberta -

Is the next Key West book complete? Do you have a release date for that one? Can you give us any hints about it or is it too soon?

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Lucy, Happy New Year. Your books sounds interesting and I want to go to the bookstore and see your other books. Have an enjoyable week here on the forum.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
Lucy_Burdette
0 Kudos

Becke, I turned the second book in the series into my editor before Christmas. It will be called DEATH IN FOUR COURSES, and from the sketch I saw, the cover is gorgeous! Hayley's mother is in town for a long weekend to attend a seminar of food writers--murder and family stress make for a difficult time on Hayley's first major reporting assignment...

Author
Lucy_Burdette
0 Kudos

Thanks for the welcome Maxcat--looking forward to chatting with all of you! Lucy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lucy_Burdette wrote:

Becke, I turned the second book in the series into my editor before Christmas. It will be called DEATH IN FOUR COURSES, and from the sketch I saw, the cover is gorgeous! Hayley's mother is in town for a long weekend to attend a seminar of food writers--murder and family stress make for a difficult time on Hayley's first major reporting assignment...

Lucy - I totally forgot there's an excerpt at the back of AN APPETITE FOR MURDER. My copy doesn't mention a title, though. I love it! Did you come up with these titles, or does your publisher pick them?

I love the recipes you included - my husband loves eggplant so I'll probably try that one.

Also, I loved the quote you included about leftovers and the original meal. I can't remember the exact wording but it made me laugh!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Be sure to check out the hilarious post at Jungle Red today - Lucy's husband has some interesting things to say about being married to a mystery author!

http://www.jungleredwriters.com/2012/01/men-of-jungle-red.html

Here's a preview:

MONDAY, JANUARY 2, 2012

The Men of Jungle Red

LUCY BURDETTE: No, this is not a post about our fantasy beefcake--because in fact we already have the men of our dreams. And we thought it would be fun to start the year off with a real bang--the inside scoop on what it's like to be married to a crime fiction writer. Take it away guys!

JOHN BRADY: My wife, LUCY BURDETTE, and the fellow members of her writers group are just this close to being taken in for police questioning. Only they don't seem to know it.

Not long ago I came downstairs while they were meeting. That's when I heard: "We have to do something with the body!" Then a male voice, "Maybe we could drag it down the driveway and put it in the trunk." To which a female responded: "No one is going to believe we carried the body that far. And wouldn't we leave DNA evidence all over the place?"
Read on at the link above!
Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Welcome, Lucy....I just love "Food Mysteries" and I absolutely really LOVE the Florida Keys, especially Key West, so I'm sure 

An Appetite For Murder  , along with the rest of the series, will be perfect for me!

Author
Lucy_Burdette
0 Kudos

Thanks a million--hope you fall in love with Hayley as well as Key West! I'm crazy about foodie mysteries too. Started back with Diane Mott Davidson's CATERING TO NOBODY. I was so thrilled when she agreed to write a blurb for AN APPETITE FOR MURDER!

IF I can brag a little:smileyhappy:, here's what she said: "What fun! ....Key West and food -- a winning combination. I can't wait for the next entry in this charming series.” New York Times bestselling author Diane Mott Davidson

Author
Lucy_Burdette
0 Kudos

I love the eggplant recipe Becke--it's something I ate at a restaurant in CT, and then puzzled out how to put it together at home.

As for titles, I usually send one in and then the good folks at the publisher change it:smileyhappy:. In this case, I asked for help from all my writing listservs--I think one of my pals came up with DEATH IN FOUR COURSES. IT'S a good one. Did I say it will be out in September?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lucy_Burdette wrote:

I love the eggplant recipe Becke--it's something I ate at a restaurant in CT, and then puzzled out how to put it together at home.

As for titles, I usually send one in and then the good folks at the publisher change it:smileyhappy:. In this case, I asked for help from all my writing listservs--I think one of my pals came up with DEATH IN FOUR COURSES. IT'S a good one. Did I say it will be out in September?

How many books have you planned in this series? Are you taking a break, or have you already started book three?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lucy - Are you a plotter or do you write "organically?"

Author
Lucy_Burdette
0 Kudos

I have a folder of ideas for the third book--I will probably start plotting in ernest next week. My contract calls for a synopsis and 3 chapters to be turned in early, so that's my idea of an outline. Usually I go back and forth between trying to hammer out what the story is, and actually writing.

So for example, in third book, I know it will take place around a top chef event that my character Hayley Snow has been asked to judge. And her best friend Connie will be getting married so that will be a subplot. That's about all I know so far!

I'm so excited that AN APPETITE FOR MURDER is officially on sale today! Such a cool feeling, no matter how many books you write... Lucy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RELEASE DAY!!!