Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author MEGAN KELLEY HALL

MeganKelleyHall wrote:

I should probably also mention Kelley & Hall Book Publicity's website and contact info. See, this is an example of me forgetting which hat I'm wearing on any particular day.  We can be reached at www.kelleyandhall.com or if there are authors looking into promoting their own books with K&H (which I highly recommend), please contact my sister Jocelyn Kelley at Jocelyn@kelleyandhall.com  She's going to love that I posted her email right before the holidays. You're welcome, Jocelyn!!

Oh, and I'm still going to get Jocelyn to post here about her fab trip down under with OPRAH!! 

Don't let me forget!

I think I posted the link in your introduction, but I may have just posted the photos and bios. I sometimes get distracted when I'l posting these things!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

An author I know recently mentioned that when she is interviewed she tends to be asked the same old/same old questions. She asked her fans for suggestions for interview questions, and they came up with some great ones. So, even though these aren't original, I'm going to post a few for you:

What are you most likely to be doing when you Really Should Be Writing? 

Who was your favorite character in your books, and why?

Was there any particular scene that you had difficulty writing, and why?

What is the weirdest thing you do when writing to get into the process?

What is the worst interview question you were ever asked?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MeganKelleyHall wrote:

Becke,

I'm still green with envy that you have such a fun and warm Orlando Christmas and New Year's planned!

I would love to continue writing for the YA audience, but I'd also like to try my hand at adult thrillers.  I consider myself a thriller writer first, so whether that means writing for YA, MG or Adults, only time will tell.

A lot of YA books are being filmed these days. Have you pursed that at all?

I've been lucky enough to work with my amazing family in Kelley & Hall Book Publicity. We started the company 7 to 8 years ago and have worked with many incredibly authors. We've had the self-published to NY Times bestselling author success stories with Brunonia Barry's The Lace Reader and Lisa Genova's Still Alice.  We've also worked with authors who were already on the NY Times bestseller list, but were looking to broaden their presence online and move off of the traditional book review pages, like Michael Palmer and Jacquelyn Mitchard.

I think we've featured two other authors your firm represents - Greg McCarthy and Raffi Yessayan. There may have been others, too.

I was much more involved at the start of the company, but have taken time to focus on my own writing, and my most important job, being a mom to my 8 year old daughter, Piper.

I LOVE your daughter's name!

While I'm not involved in the day to day of Kelley & Hall, I'm still called upon once in awhile as a resource for the client work. There is so much overlap in this industry that there are plenty of opportunities to wear several hats.  Actually, when we do seminars on publicity, I can offer some advice to authors on how to put away their writing hat and think about promoting their books.  As an author, I also give my mom and sister a good idea on how writers think (yes, we are all crazy - ha ha!), so that gives them additional insight into what's going on in their clients' heads. 

Does anyone else in your family write?

Right now I don't have any Barnes & Noble signings coming up in the near future  (I just did one at the Peabody, Mass. store this past November), but will hopefully be setting one up soon!  I'm sure I will have many next fall when the DEAR BULLY book comes out.  

Whenever you schedule one, be sure to let us know. You can email me or just post it on this thread. (It's "your" thread - you can post updates any time you like.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Megan - Are you and your family doing anything special for the holidays? Do you have traditional things you do? In our neighborhood, for instance, we line our street with luminarias (a New Mexico tradition) on Christmas Eve. It's so pretty!

Frequent Contributor
Mysterylover1138
0 Kudos

Happy Holidays to everyone :smileyhappy: Hope you all have a great holiday and are able to spend time with your loved ones.

Megan

What were your favorite books growing up?

Do you have any weird food cravings when you are writing?

Do you contribute to any magazines or anthologies?

What is your favorite descriptive word to use when writing?

Hope you stay warm over the holidays.

Leigh

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Megan and all!

Since tomorrow is both Friday AND Christmas Eve, I'm not sure how much time Megan will be able to spend with us. And I'd be very surprised if she checks in on Christmas Day or Boxing Day (Sunday). So I want to thank her in advance for sharing this very special week with us all!

Author
MeganKelleyHall
0 Kudos

An author I know recently mentioned that when she is interviewed she tends to be asked the same old/same old questions. She asked her fans for suggestions for interview questions, and they came up with some great ones. So, even though these aren't original, I'm going to post a few for you:

Talking on the phone, playing with my daughter, checking Facebook, playing computer games and many other forms of procrastination (which I have perfected as an artform). 

Scarlett O'Hara, any character written by Oscar Wilde, Charles Kinbote in Pale Fire by Nabokov.

Writing the hazing scenes was very difficult for me. While I'm drawn to dark fiction, writing about teenage girls hurting each other (and in such a horrific way) turned my stomach. But, that was how I wanted people to react while reading it, so in that case, I think it worked.

I read a lot of poetry, non-fiction and Oscar Wilde.  I also write free-hand until I get into the writing "zone."

I don't think I've ever gotten a bad interview question.  But, I'm sure I'm due for one any day now. :smileyhappy:

Author
MeganKelleyHall
0 Kudos

Megan - Are you and your family doing anything special for the holidays? Do you have traditional things you do? In our neighborhood, for instance, we line our street with luminarias (a New Mexico tradition) on Christmas Eve. It's so pretty!

Becke, this is so beautiful! This year we didn't get much time to decorate and do our normal Christmas traditions since we were in Australia until last week. It was very strange going from shorts and t-shirts to snow boots and down parkas.

Our traditions are very New England-y.  We get the Christmas tree in the freezing cold weather. Wait for it to thaw out so we can decorate. Put the lights on the bushes outside. Have mulled cider and hot chocolate.  Fires in the fireplace. Tonight we will finish up our wrapping, drink some cider and sit by the fire. We're supposed to be getting a big Nor'Easter storm on Sunday, so we need to prepare for that as well.  

Author
MeganKelleyHall
0 Kudos

P.S. My favorite fictional character of all time is Eloise! How could I forget?

Author
MeganKelleyHall
0 Kudos

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for these great questions!

I read a lot of V.C. Andrews and Christopher Pike books in my teens. I also adored Lois Lowry and Lois Duncan. You can see that I was drawn to darker fiction growing up.  

No, just coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. And this time of year, I'm addicted Au Bon Pain's gingerbread men.  I hate that they only have them one time a year.

When I started out, I wrote articles for American Baby, Working Mother, Boston Magazine, New England Bride and Glamour.  I also wrote regularly for Parents and Kids (a parenting supplement in the Boston Herald).  I've contributed to two anthologies: Ellen Hopkin's Flirtin With the Monster and Daryn Kagan's What's Possible!  And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm the co-editor of DEAR BULLY: 70 Writers Tell Their Stories, which will be coming out next year.

I don't really have one particular word that I can think of off the top of my head. However, I'm drawn to writers who are masters of descriptive language, like Alice Hoffman. I adore the way she writes. It's magical. She is my inspiration.

Happy Holidays to you, too!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MeganKelleyHall wrote:

Talking on the phone, playing with my daughter, checking Facebook, playing computer games and many other forms of procrastination (which I have perfected as an artform). 

Scarlett O'Hara, any character written by Oscar Wilde, Charles Kinbote in Pale Fire by Nabokov.

Writing the hazing scenes was very difficult for me. While I'm drawn to dark fiction, writing about teenage girls hurting each other (and in such a horrific way) turned my stomach. But, that was how I wanted people to react while reading it, so in that case, I think it worked.

I read a lot of poetry, non-fiction and Oscar Wilde.  I also write free-hand until I get into the writing "zone."

I don't think I've ever gotten a bad interview question.  But, I'm sure I'm due for one any day now. :smileyhappy:

Oscar Wilde is a brilliant writer! This is my favorite of his:

Picture of Dorian Gray (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Eloise at Christmastime (Eloise Series) 
MeganKelleyHall wrote:

P.S. My favorite fictional character of all time is Eloise! How could I forget?

I LOVE Eloise! My husband, daughter and I were in New York in May and we had to make a pilgrimage to the Plaza in her honor! (We had tea there - fabulous!)

Eloise

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MeganKelleyHall wrote:

Becke, this is so beautiful! This year we didn't get much time to decorate and do our normal Christmas traditions since we were in Australia until last week. It was very strange going from shorts and t-shirts to snow boots and down parkas.

Our traditions are very New England-y.  We get the Christmas tree in the freezing cold weather. Wait for it to thaw out so we can decorate. Put the lights on the bushes outside. Have mulled cider and hot chocolate.  Fires in the fireplace. Tonight we will finish up our wrapping, drink some cider and sit by the fire. We're supposed to be getting a big Nor'Easter storm on Sunday, so we need to prepare for that as well.  

Your traditions sound lovely! I haven't had a "real" Christmas tree since a firefighter friend talked me out of that particular tradition. When we lived in England, we would dig a planting pit before the ground froze and buy a small balled-and-burlapped Christmas tree to be planted outside after the holidays. We had to buy the trees right before the holidays, though - it's not good for them to get used to being indoors.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MeganKelleyHall wrote:

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for these great questions!

I read a lot of V.C. Andrews and Christopher Pike books in my teens. I also adored Lois Lowry and Lois Duncan. You can see that I was drawn to darker fiction growing up.  

No, just coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. And this time of year, I'm addicted Au Bon Pain's gingerbread men.  I hate that they only have them one time a year.

When I started out, I wrote articles for American Baby, Working Mother, Boston Magazine, New England Bride and Glamour.  I also wrote regularly for Parents and Kids (a parenting supplement in the Boston Herald).  I've contributed to two anthologies: Ellen Hopkin's Flirtin With the Monster and Daryn Kagan's What's Possible!  And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm the co-editor of DEAR BULLY: 70 Writers Tell Their Stories, which will be coming out next year.

I don't really have one particular word that I can think of off the top of my head. However, I'm drawn to writers who are masters of descriptive language, like Alice Hoffman. I adore the way she writes. It's magical. She is my inspiration.

Happy Holidays to you, too!!

I met Lois Duncan when I was a child - she and my aunt were good friends. They live across the country from each other these days, but they're both still going strong. Lois was a guest here at Mystery just recently!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Merry Christmas Eve!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Merry Christmas, Megan! Thank you so much for spending the week with us! This is your thread now, and you're welcome to come back and post updates here any time you like. I hope you'll come visit often - this has been a lot of fun!