Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author MICHAEL WILEY!

Thomas_Kaufman wrote:

Michael, so glad you could make it to this wonderful place.  Becke knows her stuff, and it's been a great week of reading your posts.

*waves madly* Welcome back, Tom! (Tom joined us to talk about DRINK THE TEA a few months ago.)

Drink the Tea 

I don't know if you've mentioned this, but THE LAST STRIPTEASE won the St Martin's Press Private Eye Novel Competition.  STRIPTEASE is a great book, eclipsed only by its sequel, THE BAD KITTY LOUNGE (I love that title).

I'm embarrassed, Tom - I knew about the award and don't think I drew attention to it. Thank you!!!

I have two questions:

Your books are based in Chicago, but you now live in Florida.  Treading sub-zero temperatures for sunshine and oranges?!  Are you crazy??

Sorry, that wasn't a question.

I was wondering the same thing. I grew up in Chicago and you'll notice I'm a lot further south now, too. (I'm in Cincinnati, buried in snow. Clearly I didn't move far enough south.)

The first question is, do you find it difficult to write about a place in which you no longer live?  Do you make trips to Chicago to verify what you remember?  Or use the internet to fact check?

The second question: at the beginning of the week, Becke published a photo of you and an author of ill-repute.  Don't you think you need to be more careful of the company you keep?

(The author Tom refers to is, of course, himself!)

Here's a question for either of you - how did you two meet? Do you critique each other's work? Are you competitive (with each other)?

Here's a tough question. A friend of mine just had her first book published (an ebook from Carina Press). She is afraid to read reviews (even though they've almost all been great). How do you handle that?

Writer friends have told me that got some terrible reviews from people who clearly hadn't even read their books. I'm leery of reviews because everyone has different taste and I prefer to make my own decisions about a book. Do you read reviews of your books or do you avoid them?

Thanks,

Thomas

Author
michaelwiley543
0 Kudos

Thomas_Kaufman wrote:

Michael, so glad you could make it to this wonderful place.  Becke knows her stuff, and it's been a great week of reading your posts.

I don't know if you've mentioned this, but THE LAST STRIPTEASE won the St Martin's Press Private Eye Novel Competition.  STRIPTEASE is a great book, eclipsed only by its sequel, THE BAD KITTY LOUNGE (I love that title).

I have two questions:

Your books are based in Chicago, but you now live in Florida.  Treading sub-zero temperatures for sunshine and oranges?!  Are you crazy??

The first question is, do you find it difficult to write about a place in which you no longer live?  Do you make trips to Chicago to verify what you remember?  Or use the internet to fact check?

The second question: at the beginning of the week, Becke published a photo of you and an author of ill-repute.  Don't you think you need to be more careful of the company you keep?

Thanks,

Thomas

Second things first, Tom. I seek out only disreputable company. The more disreputable, the better. But the guy in the picture with me? He tested my limits. I mean, when he wasn't writing a great first mystery (DRINK THE TEA, winner of last year's PWA/SMP prize for best first PI novel: it's so good that the PWA and St. Martin's chose no winner this year -- DRINK THE TEA being good enough to carry the weight of being the "most recent winner" for two years) . . . that is to say, when he wasn't writing a great first novel, he was out winning an Emmy for his work behind a camera. Anyone who hasn't read DRINK THE TEA should read it -- and I say that not only because the man who wrote it clearly has a dangerous mind. But partly.

And first things second: I find writing about Chicago to be easier now that I live elsewhere. When I lived there, the associations that I had with the city were very personal -- coming from a childhood spent there -- and I've found that distance has been a great mediator: I know Chicago up close and I know it from far away, and the mix of perspectives gives me more confidence in what I think I see there. But, yes, I like to and need to make frequent trips to re-see the places I've known in Chicago and the places that I haven't known and also to see how places have changed. And when I'm back in Florida, I have my books on Chicago, my Chicago maps, and, of course, the Internet.

Which brings me to your non-question. I won't answer the "craziness" question (the verdict is still out), but I will say that if I ever gave myself to the kind of crazy behavior that got me locked up in a subbasement of a prison in a third-world country (Let's make it an arctic third-world country for reasons that will become immediately clear), and if I were give the choice of either being waterboarded or being made to go outside and sit repeatedly on an ice-cold driver's seat while waiting for a car engine to warm up, I would probably go with the waterboarding. Which is to say, Florida is nice this time of year. 

Author
michaelwiley543
0 Kudos

"(The author Tom refers to is, of course, himself!)

Here's a question for either of you - how did you two meet? Do you critique each other's work? Are you competitive (with each other)?"

Tom Kaufman and I met at the Shamus banquet at which he received the prize for having won the Private Eye Writers of America/St. Martin's Press "best first" competition. The banquet was held during the big mystery convention, Bouchercon, in Baltimore four years ago. We've kept up friendship ever since, seeing each other at conferences, and getting together for a signing and conversation in Phoenix.

I'm always aware of how others' books are doing -- and if that makes me competitive, then, yes I'm competitive -- but the reality is that there are many readers, many book awards, and many book contracts, and the success of Tom's books (or anyone else's) takes nothing from my own. If anything, the opposite is true: we both write PI novels, and a lot of my readers have read Tom's books and vice versa; so, Tom's success means more readers for me and my success more readers for him. (An aside: What I'm saying, Tom, is I wish you would get out and work harder to sell a couple million copies so that I can sit back and enjoy the spill over.) I

nb: I realize I was wrong in saying that no one won the prize year after Tom. Michael Ayoob did. Sorry Tom. Sorry Michael. No one won this year, though.

Author
michaelwiley543
0 Kudos

Here's a tough question. A friend of mine just had her first book published (an ebook from Carina Press). She is afraid to read reviews (even though they've almost all been great). How do you handle that?

Writer friends have told me that got some terrible reviews from people who clearly hadn't even read their books. I'm leery of reviews because everyone has different taste and I prefer to make my own decisions about a book. Do you read reviews of your books or do you avoid them?

I can't help myself. I always read my reviews as soon as they're published. Fortunately, nearly all of them have been positive (though I can remember -- word for word -- the negative qualifications). I wouldn't read them, though, if I didn't think my head were thick enough to soften the hardest blows. The positives and the negatives can tell us information worth knowing when we write our next books -- but, on the other side, I'm sure that it would be a big mistake to take reviews as the highest or only authority. As you say, Becke, sometimes reviewers don't read books (though I hope this must be rare) or don't read them as closely as they might (probably more common). So, writers need to consider reviews -- just as we need to consider sales numbers and awards, etc. -- but then we need to tune out most of the noise and write the next book as well as we can.  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

michaelwiley543 wrote:

Thomas_Kaufman wrote:

I have two questions:

Thanks,

Thomas

Second things first, Tom. I seek out only disreputable company. The more disreputable, the better. But the guy in the picture with me? He tested my limits. I mean, when he wasn't writing a great first mystery (DRINK THE TEA, winner of last year's PWA/SMP prize for best first PI novel: it's so good that the PWA and St. Martin's chose no winner this year -- DRINK THE TEA being good enough to carry the weight of being the "most recent winner" for two years) . . . that is to say, when he wasn't writing a great first novel, he was out winning an Emmy for his work behind a camera. Anyone who hasn't read DRINK THE TEA should read it -- and I say that not only because the man who wrote it clearly has a dangerous mind. But partly.

And first things second: I find writing about Chicago to be easier now that I live elsewhere. When I lived there, the associations that I had with the city were very personal -- coming from a childhood spent there -- and I've found that distance has been a great mediator: I know Chicago up close and I know it from far away, and the mix of perspectives gives me more confidence in what I think I see there. But, yes, I like to and need to make frequent trips to re-see the places I've known in Chicago and the places that I haven't known and also to see how places have changed. And when I'm back in Florida, I have my books on Chicago, my Chicago maps, and, of course, the Internet.

Which brings me to your non-question. I won't answer the "craziness" question (the verdict is still out), but I will say that if I ever gave myself to the kind of crazy behavior that got me locked up in a subbasement of a prison in a third-world country (Let's make it an arctic third-world country for reasons that will become immediately clear), and if I were give the choice of either being waterboarded or being made to go outside and sit repeatedly on an ice-cold driver's seat while waiting for a car engine to warm up, I would probably go with the waterboarding. Which is to say, Florida is nice this time of year. 

Rolling laughter emoticon (Laughing Emoticons)Crying with laughter emoticon (Laughing Emoticons)Snowman LaughingReindeer emoticon (Christmas Emoticons)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

michaelwiley543 wrote:

Here's a question for either of you - how did you two meet? Do you critique each other's work? Are you competitive (with each other)?"

Tom Kaufman and I met at the Shamus banquet at which he received the prize for having won the Private Eye Writers of America/St. Martin's Press "best first" competition. The banquet was held during the big mystery convention, Bouchercon, in Baltimore four years ago. We've kept up friendship ever since, seeing each other at conferences, and getting together for a signing and conversation in Phoenix.

I'm always aware of how others' books are doing -- and if that makes me competitive, then, yes I'm competitive -- but the reality is that there are many readers, many book awards, and many book contracts, and the success of Tom's books (or anyone else's) takes nothing from my own. If anything, the opposite is true: we both write PI novels, and a lot of my readers have read Tom's books and vice versa; so, Tom's success means more readers for me and my success more readers for him. (An aside: What I'm saying, Tom, is I wish you would get out and work harder to sell a couple million copies so that I can sit back and enjoy the spill over.) I

nb: I realize I was wrong in saying that no one won the prize year after Tom. Michael Ayoob did. Sorry Tom. Sorry Michael. No one won this year, though.

I hope when you two become world famous NYT best sellers, you'll still come back and hang out with us. I'm ready to bribe you with virtual coffee - or even egg nog and cookies!

Author
michaelwiley543
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

michaelwiley543 wrote:

I hope when you two become world famous NYT best sellers, you'll still come back and hang out with us. I'm ready to bribe you with virtual coffee - or even egg nog and cookies!

I can't think of any company better than this, Becke. I'll come even without the cookies and coffee . . . but if you have the cookies and coffee I'll arrive with a smile.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'll hold you to that, Michael!

I haven't spoken to my daughter yet today - the chilly weather in Orlando has left her with a bad cold - so I'm not sure what the weather is like there today. We had quite a bit of snow last night, but the roads aren't too bad. Right now I'm pretty envious of your warm weather!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I talked to Paul Hochman, my former boss at BN.com yesterday - he's at St. Martin's Press now. I mentioned that you were being featured here and that Tom stopped by, too. Maybe he'll pop in and say hi. If you're at the St. Martin's offices in NYC, be sure to introduce yourself to him! 

Author
michaelwiley543
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I talked to Paul Hochman, my former boss at BN.com yesterday - he's at St. Martin's Press now. I mentioned that you were being featured here and that Tom stopped by, too. Maybe he'll pop in and say hi. If you're at the St. Martin's offices in NYC, be sure to introduce yourself to him! 

Yes, I know Paul Hochman -- though only virtually and it's been awhile: he kindly made THE LAST STRIPTEASE a featured crime fiction title on BN.com three years ago. I'll be sure to stop by when in NYC and in the meantime hope to say hello here.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Michael - sorry I've been absent today. I was invited to a Christmas lunch with a bunch of local authors. I almost didn't go because it was snowing and the roads weren't great, but I'm so glad I did. We had so much fun! 

I can't believe it's Friday already. It seems as if you only just arrived! I leave it up to authors whether they want to hang out here on the weekends or not. I'll be checking in periodically, in between trying to clean the house and get packed. Technically, "your" week runs until I post the next introduction on Sunday night, but don't feel obligated to stop in - it's entirely up to you.

This isn't a "good-bye" message, but I want to be sure and thank you for joining us. This has been a really fun visit, and I hope a lot of people will be inspired to read your books!

This is your thread now and forever, so you can come back whenever you want and update it. We'd love to see new book covers, new release information, news of any nominations or awards, etc. And be sure to let us know if you schedule any B&N book signings! Don't wait until you have news, though - stop in and say hi any time you like. As you've noticed, we love to visit with authors here!!

Author
michaelwiley543
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Hi Michael - sorry I've been absent today. I was invited to a Christmas lunch with a bunch of local authors. I almost didn't go because it was snowing and the roads weren't great, but I'm so glad I did. We had so much fun! 

I can't believe it's Friday already. It seems as if you only just arrived! I leave it up to authors whether they want to hang out here on the weekends or not. I'll be checking in periodically, in between trying to clean the house and get packed. Technically, "your" week runs until I post the next introduction on Sunday night, but don't feel obligated to stop in - it's entirely up to you.

This isn't a "good-bye" message, but I want to be sure and thank you for joining us. This has been a really fun visit, and I hope a lot of people will be inspired to read your books!

This is your thread now and forever, so you can come back whenever you want and update it. We'd love to see new book covers, new release information, news of any nominations or awards, etc. And be sure to let us know if you schedule any B&N book signings! Don't wait until you have news, though - stop in and say hi any time you like. As you've noticed, we love to visit with authors here!!

Thanks, Becke! I've had a great time here this week. Tom told me about your amazing hospitality, and he was right. I'll check in occasionally over the weekend, but I'll also let you catch your breath before the next guest arrives.
And after this week, I'll definitely stop by with updates and to say hello. I share your hope that people will be inspired to read BAD KITTY LOUNGE and my other books. I've been told by reliable sources, that many women would rather receive BAD KITTY LOUNGE as a gift than jewels, music, or cashmere. And that men would rather receive it than go out on a date with Penelope Cruz.
Me? If I weren't married, I would go for the date. But that's just me. And to tell the truth, I like music a lot too, especially Latin jazz, so that choice also would be hard. And cashmere is great against the skin. Can Penelope Cruz sing? Because if she can, I would definitely pick the date if she promised to belt out "Guantanamera."  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

michaelwiley543 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Thanks, Becke! I've had a great time here this week. Tom told me about your amazing hospitality, and he was right. I'll check in occasionally over the weekend, but I'll also let you catch your breath before the next guest arrives.
And after this week, I'll definitely stop by with updates and to say hello. I share your hope that people will be inspired to read BAD KITTY LOUNGE and my other books. I've been told by reliable sources, that many women would rather receive BAD KITTY LOUNGE as a gift than jewels, music, or cashmere. And that men would rather receive it than go out on a date with Penelope Cruz.
LOL! My husband was watching a jewelry commercial last night and wondered how I managed all these years without a mink, diamonds and ropes of pearls. I said I was fine without those but would, of course, look forward to the Lexus I'm sure he is keeping hidden until Christmas morning. And Barnes & Noble gift cards for the stocking!!
Me? If I weren't married, I would go for the date. But that's just me. And to tell the truth, I like music a lot too, especially Latin jazz, so that choice also would be hard. And cashmere is great against the skin. Can Penelope Cruz sing? Because if she can, I would definitely pick the date if she promised to belt out "Guantanamera."  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michael - come back and hang out with us again soon!