becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author Natalie J. Damschroder!

[ Edited ]

Our featured guest this week is author NATALIE J. DAMSCHRODER! Natalie visited during our focus on Carina Press awhile back.

Natalie also writes for ENTANGLED PUBLISHING.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author Natalie J. Damschroder!

Biography

Natalie J. Damschroder became a writer the hard way—by avoiding it. Though she wrote her first book at age six (My Very Own Reading Book) and received accolades for her academic writing (Ruth Davies Award for Excellence in Writing for a paper on deforestation her senior year in college), she hated doing it. Colonial food and the habits of the European Starling just weren’t her thing.

Shortly after graduating from college, however, she found her niche—romantic fiction. After an internship with the National Geographic Society, customer service for a phone company just wasn’t that exciting. So she began learning how to write the books she’d loved to read all her life. Four books and six years later, she finally sold. Now she struggles to balance her frenetic writing life (how else can she get all the stories in her head on paper?) with her family, the most supportive husband in the world and two beautiful, intelligent, stubborn, independent daughters (the oldest of whom has become a writer). She somehow also fits in a day job and various volunteer positions in and out of the writing industry.

Natalie’s published works include 8 romance novels (with four more on their way!), 7 novellas, and 14 short stories.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guess What?

February 2012

Under the Moon has been ordered by Barnes & Noble for mass trade paperback rerelease in September 2012. This means, in addition to being available by special order and in most online bookstores, you'll be able to walk into bricks-and-mortar B&Ns and find it on the shelf! Stay tuned for the new cover!

January 2012

So many great things to report!

First, my contemporary romance Kira's Best Friend has been licensed to Anubis Publishing for release in Greek! This is scheduled for April, hopefully with the rest of the Brook Hollow trilogy to follow.

I have release dates for the Goddesses Rising trilogy! Under the Moon will be re-released in June, with Heavy Metal following in December, and Sunroper coming out in July 2013. I'll have a new cover for Under the Moon soon.

Speaking of new covers... I'll be revealing the cover for my April 16 release, Acceptable Risks, on Everybody Needs a Little Romance on February 7, 2012. If you subscribe to the ENALR newsletter, you get to see it first! Keep an eye on my blog, too. I'll be doing polls and giving away prizes via my newsletter.

September 2011

Fight or Flight is an EPIC Finalist!

August 2011

Carina Press has contracted another romantic adventure for a spring release! This book had a holding title of Hummingbird, but that's not a romantic adventure title by any stretch, so until we come up with a new one, I'll refer to it as TBWNN (The Book with No Name).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Natalie's website is here: http://www.nataliedamschroder.com/index.htm

There are tons of places you can find Natalie on the Internet:

My Main Blogger Blog

Supernatural Sisters (Blog about the TV Show Supernatural)

Everybody Needs a Little Romance (Multi-Author Blog)

Facebook

Twitter

eHarlequin

Goodreads

Follow NJDamschroder on Twitter          

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fight or Flight  

Fight or Flight

Eighteen years ago, a group of men killed Regan Miller's boyfriend and tried to kidnap her daughter, Kelsey. Since then they have lived in hiding, always vigilant and never getting close to anyone.

When Kelsey goes away to college, Regan finally begins to relax. She even starts to think she can have a real relationship, perhaps with her flirtatious neighbor, Tyler Sloane. Then Regan is attacked again.

Desperate to get to her daughter, Regan accepts Tyler's help—despite her suspicions about him. She knows nothing about Tyler but he knows a shocking amount about her past. Tyler can't tell her what he knows or who he works for, but he insists she can't face her enemies without him. Tired of living in fear, Regan is ready to take the offensive, with Tyler by her side. But is she relying too much on a man she can't trust—and falling for him, too?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome NATALIE J. DAMSCHRODER!

Wordsmith
writerfire
0 Kudos

Welcome Natalie!  Thank you for coming!  Hope you enjoy your time on the board!

The best surprize is one left untold.
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Natalie!

Are your books serials or standalones?

Also, what were some of your duties as an intern with National Geographic? Did you get to write any articles or contribute anyway to their magazine?

I'll have to check out your books. Hope you enjoy your visit with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Good morning, everyone! Hope you all had a nice weekend!

Natalie has to work this morning - she'll be joining us this afternoon. Looking forward to it!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Yes, welcome to our friendly forum, Natalie.

So glad to hear that Under the Moon is going to be available at a "bricks and mortar" Barnes and Noble soon, as shopping in a "real" bookstore rather than online is my preferred way of shopping for books. With all the bookstores that have gone out of business, I don't want to lose another one, so I try to do as much of my buying as possible in local bookshops. Looking forward to reading your UTM!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Natalie, welcome to the Mystery Forum. I've heard of your books but have not read any of them. I must look into them. Thanks for spending time here.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Natalie - I'm curious about your two publishers. It's exciting that you're covering both ebooks and paper books now! Did you make a conscious decision to find a second publisher who could get your books in bricks-and-mortar bookstores?

Author
NJDamschroder
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the fantastic welcome, Becke! I'm so happy to be back on the board!

~~~~~
Natalie J. Damschroder
Author of High-Stakes Romantic Adventure and Paranormal Romance
Love with a Shot of Adrenaline
Author
NJDamschroder
0 Kudos

writerfire wrote:

Welcome Natalie!  Thank you for coming!  Hope you enjoy your time on the board!

Thanks so much, writerfire! I love these boards, but I'm awful about coming over here. It ends up being all or nothing (I spend hours and hours, or no time at all! LOL). I'm going to be a much more frequent visitor now, I've decreed. :smileyhappy:

~~~~~
Natalie J. Damschroder
Author
NJDamschroder
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Natalie!

Are your books serials or standalones?

Also, what were some of your duties as an intern with National Geographic? Did you get to write any articles or contribute anyway to their magazine?

I'll have to check out your books. Hope you enjoy your visit with us!

Hi, Eadie! Awesome questions!

I have both serials and standalones. My first series was the Brook Hollow Trilogy (Kira's Best Friend, Sophie's Playboy, and Brianna's Navy SEAL). That started out contemporary romance, but transitioned with the last book to the romantic adventure I love so much.

My books with Carina Press are all standalones: Fight or Flight, Behind the Scenes, and next week's release, Acceptable Risks.

I have a series with Entangled, Goddesses Rising. That's a paranormal romantic adventure series, but that's a mouthful (and almost redundant!) so I just call it paranormal romance. The books do stand alone, though. There are threads from one book to the next, but you don't have to read the first one to understand what's happening in the second one (I hope!).

I LOVED my job at National Geographic. I didn't work on the main magazine, though. I worked for the 27th International Geographical Congress. That's a meeting of geographers held in a different country each year. I had two main jobs: editing abstracts (synopses of scientific papers), many of which had been written by non-native English speakers or translated from other languages; and proofreading the field guides that had been written as companion pieces for the tours of different parts of the U.S. that went along with the event.

I applied for a job with one of the smaller magazines, but my sexist boss gave it to a guy who wasn't engaged to someone who lived in another state. But that's okay, because I wound up here! :smileyhappy:

~~~~~
Natalie J. Damschroder
becke_davis
0 Kudos

NJDamschroder wrote:

Thanks so much for the fantastic welcome, Becke! I'm so happy to be back on the board!

I'm so glad you could join us, Natalie! I spent Easter with my friend Monica Burns, who was excited to hear you'd be featured this week. She said to say hi to you for her!

Author
NJDamschroder
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Yes, welcome to our friendly forum, Natalie.

So glad to hear that Under the Moon is going to be available at a "bricks and mortar" Barnes and Noble soon, as shopping in a "real" bookstore rather than online is my preferred way of shopping for books. With all the bookstores that have gone out of business, I don't want to lose another one, so I try to do as much of my buying as possible in local bookshops. Looking forward to reading your UTM!

*hugs Fricka*

There is very little that makes me as happy as browsing around a bookstore for an hour, or hanging out in the cafe all day, just surrounded by books. :smileyhappy: I have an e-reader, but I balance my reading equally, I think, between the two. Losing bookstores scares the heck out of me!

I'm beyond excited that B&N picked Under the Moon for September. I can't wait to see it on the shelves! :smileyhappy:

Thanks for your interest!

~~~~~
Natalie J. Damschroder
Author
NJDamschroder
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hi, Natalie, welcome to the Mystery Forum. I've heard of your books but have not read any of them. I must look into them. Thanks for spending time here.

Maxcat, I just went *squee* that you've heard of my books. LOL There are so many books being published in so many different ways right now, it's fantastic to hear I'm not completely lost in the multitudes. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the welcome!

~~~~~
Natalie J. Damschroder
Author
NJDamschroder
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Natalie - I'm curious about your two publishers. It's exciting that you're covering both ebooks and paper books now! Did you make a conscious decision to find a second publisher who could get your books in bricks-and-mortar bookstores?

I think the most important thing for an author is to reach their audience. With so many different options now, readers can all get their books in the way that works best for them. So I want my books to be EVERYWHERE. Digital (in every digital marketplace, for every reading tool), print, bricks-and-mortar stores, audio, even in foreign countries. (I have a book coming out soon in GREEK! o,O)

So my strategy as a writer has been to seek publishers that could help me reach out into all those various nooks and crannies of the world. Because Carina is part of Harlequin and has great editors and a fantastic system, I submitted there and have been very happy. My editor is FANTASTIC and I never want to stop working with her. But she doesn't like everything I write.

When Entangled Publishing was announced, I was actually a little skeptical at first, but a few things they said intrigued me. I didn't submit to them specifically because they do print—my Amber Quill Press books are in print but that doesn't put them in the bookstores—but because the owner is an incredibly smart, savvy businessperson. That fact has translated to print books landing in stores, not just available for "special order."

But I love the way it worked out. It's a very nice, neat system for me to have romantic adventure with Carina and paranormal romance with Entangled. (And, of course, to have fantastic editors and support teams in both places! :smileyhappy: )

~~~~~
Natalie J. Damschroder