Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author PAMELA CALLOW!

Will do, Becke - although they will be taken from my cell phone - yikes.

Pam

Join me at my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/PamelaCallowAuthor?ref=sgm
www.pamelacallow.com
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

Thanks so much, maxcat! I hope you enjoy them. :smileyhappy:

Pam

Join me at my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/PamelaCallowAuthor?ref=sgm
www.pamelacallow.com
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

Thanks so much, ReadingPatti - I am having a great visit! 

That's a great question. I've always been drawn to mysteries, perhaps for some of the reasons I provided in my response to Debbie. Writing mysteries is very satisfying because I get to create a puzzle, do some very fascinating research for my books (ie. biomedical for DAMAGED, prisons and criminal prosecutions for INDEFENSIBLE, and tattoos and forensic anthropology for TATTOOED), yet I'm also able to create a cast of characters whose inner lives I really enjoy exploring. Kate Lange, my series lead, has a rather complex past, and she struggles with proving herself in a high-powered law firm. Her mentor, Eddie Bent, is a recovering alcoholic. She has two elderly neighbors, one of whom has Alzheimer's. Her ex-fiance has an old grudge against the manager partner of her law firm. There are a whole host of ancillary characters I've also created that I'm hoping to write stories for, as well.

My titles sometimes just come to me when I'm working on the premise (INDEFENSIBLE), but for DAMAGED, it took a complete review of the dictionary to come up with it! 

Cheers,

Pam

www.pamelacallow.com
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

Thank you so much, Eadie! I'm thrilled you are enjoying the series. I do love writing them! :smileyhappy:

www.pamelacallow.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

PamelaCallow wrote:

Thank you, Debbie! 

I'm going to have to pop over and visit JT on the forum. We're signing together this week at BEA. Love her and love her work!

Love your question - I do think it surprises people that I write thrillers (even my husband, LOL). After DAMAGED, my first book came out, I think my neighbors did look at me a little differently... But to answer your question, I've always had an interest in crime, maybe because I myself am not a rule breaker, which is perhaps what drew me to law school. There are two things I like to explore with my books. The first is the gray area between the "black and white" of the law (which we all know isn't that black and white) -- how do people act when they are in a morally ambiguous or criminal situation? The second element I explore in my books is the impact of crime on people: the victims, the families, the people whose job it is to investigate or defend the crime.

And with Kate Lange, the main character of my series, I created a woman with no particular crime solving abilities. She's an everywoman with struggles, heartache, but a desire to do things right. She is an ordinary person confronting extraordinary circumstances -- like most of us if we were put in her situations.

Nice to meet you, Debbie!

Pam

Thanks for answering Pam, give JT a hug from me and please do stop by if you have time.

nice meeting you too!!

ps I LOVE MIRA :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Pamela, I'm like a lot of the commenters here I love your covers too.  

Just so you know I have your sister Mira author JT Ellison all month at my forum General Fiction as we're reading her new release A Deeper Darkness and she's coresponding to us from BEA this week too.

so what's a nice lady like you doing writing thrillers, ( just so you know I ask all the thriller women writers that )

thanks for visiting

Darn, Debbie - more reasons to wish I was at BEA this week!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

PamelaCallow wrote:

Thank you, Ryan. I love my covers, too. I couldn't believe it the first time I saw the cover for DAMAGED. The art director had literally found a picture that spoke a 100,000 words!

The titles have been fun to come up with. The first book took three rounds of selection with my editor. The second book I titled immediately and my editor loved it. The third book my editor came up with the title. Now I'm working on the title for the fourth book. I find I need a title before I can begin writing the proposal.

Cheers,

Pam

I'm always curious how authors come up with their titles. Thanks for sharing this! Can you tell us anything about your fourth book, or is it too soon?

Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

Good morning Fricka!

I decided to write a plot line around TATTOOED because I had been fascinated by the mainstreaming of the tattoo culture over the past five or ten years. As I researched tattoos, their history and their symbology, I realized how powerful they can be for self-transformation. Most fiction, in essence, is about a journey or self-transformation, so it became a great element for my story.

Kenzie Sloane, the celebrity tattooist in TATTOOED, has the soul of an artist. She also has committed an evil crime in her past. The question I explore with her is whether she has changed -- and thus, her tattoos are a reflection of her self-transformation (in particular, her koi tattoo). Or, is she a "Dorian Gray pin-up girl" -- as Kate suspects -- who has inked her outer skin in beautiful art but hides a corrupt heart?

Kenzie Sloane's character was one of my most favourite to write, perhaps because she is Kate's alter-ego. They both had traumatic events happen in their teens, they both tried to re-create themselves over the past 17 years, and yet they are polar opposites.

In answer to your question about whether I have tattoos, my response is "never say never." I don't have any, but Kenzie's tattoos reflect what I would consider having inked on myself (although not in that scale or intensity - she is fully tattooed). I really view tattoos as a form of art, and if I did get a tattoo, I'd probably get Chris Garver to do it. I'm a huge fan of his work. I do have a family member with a tattoo that is a memoriam to my late mother.

Pam

www.pamelacallow.com
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

Thanks, Debbie! I will try to drop by - my wifi is limited here in NYC, though.

However, I can and definitely will give JT a hug -- one for you and one for me! :smileyhappy:

Pam

www.pamelacallow.com
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

HI Becke,

I'd love to tell you more about it but I'm still working out the plot. All I can say is that I'm extremely excited about the premise and can't wait to start writing! :smileyhappy:

Pam

www.pamelacallow.com
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

Wish you were here, too, Becke! Would love to connect in person! 

Pam

www.pamelacallow.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

PamelaCallow wrote:

Good morning Fricka!

I decided to write a plot line around TATTOOED because I had been fascinated by the mainstreaming of the tattoo culture over the past five or ten years. As I researched tattoos, their history and their symbology, I realized how powerful they can be for self-transformation. Most fiction, in essence, is about a journey or self-transformation, so it became a great element for my story.

Kenzie Sloane, the celebrity tattooist in TATTOOED, has the soul of an artist. She also has committed an evil crime in her past. The question I explore with her is whether she has changed -- and thus, her tattoos are a reflection of her self-transformation (in particular, her koi tattoo). Or, is she a "Dorian Gray pin-up girl" -- as Kate suspects -- who has inked her outer skin in beautiful art but hides a corrupt heart?

Kenzie Sloane's character was one of my most favourite to write, perhaps because she is Kate's alter-ego. They both had traumatic events happen in their teens, they both tried to re-create themselves over the past 17 years, and yet they are polar opposites.

In answer to your question about whether I have tattoos, my response is "never say never." I don't have any, but Kenzie's tattoos reflect what I would consider having inked on myself (although not in that scale or intensity - she is fully tattooed). I really view tattoos as a form of art, and if I did get a tattoo, I'd probably get Chris Garver to do it. I'm a huge fan of his work. I do have a family member with a tattoo that is a memoriam to my late mother.

Pam

Good morning to you too, Pam! Thanks so much for your detailed answer.

In my lifetime, tatoos have gone from being pretty much taboo for members of society outside of sailors and other various outsiders to being pretty much accepted by most of our culture. I've had many students of both genders in my classes with tatoos--some of them more modest, but surprisingly(at least to me) a lot of the people wearing tatoos that cover a large part of the visible anatomy are female. THAT's certainly a sea-change from when I was growing up. I like the description you give of your character Kenzie and how her tatoo may be a window into whether she's truly changed or a chameleon on the level of Dorian Gray(loved that reference, by the way--I'm a big Oscar Wilde fan!)I don't have a tatoo myself, but I've thought about it. I think having a tatoo as a memoriam to a family member, like your mother, is a kind of cool idea.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

PamelaCallow wrote:

HI Becke,

I'd love to tell you more about it but I'm still working out the plot. All I can say is that I'm extremely excited about the premise and can't wait to start writing! :smileyhappy:

Pam

You've got me on tenterhooks now!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

PamelaCallow wrote:

Wish you were here, too, Becke! Would love to connect in person! 

Pam

One day...

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Pam:

Just wanted to let you know that I did finish DAMAGED yesterday and I was very impressed by your plot and characters and the fact that it was your debut novel. Loved it by the way and I'm looking forward to reading the next two books.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

Hi Eadie,

Thanks very much! I really appreciate your kind words! 

Best,

Pam

www.pamelacallow.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I finished TATTOOED last night - whew, very intense! I'll never look at a tattoo again without thinking of this book!
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

LOL, Becke! It was a fascinating -- and intense -- book to write!

Pam

www.pamelacallow.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Pam - Do you have a favorite among your books?