Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
rj_ellory
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author R.J. ELLORY!

Well, titles sometimes come to me before I start the book, and other times they sort of come to me as I'm writing.  I've changed my mind as well, and some of the books have ended up being called something else (e.g. 'Ghostheart' was called 'Letters from Cicero', and 'A Quiet Vendetta' was called 'This Thing of Ours' which is the literal translation of Cosa Nostra).  I have many authors I love, amongst whom are Annie Proulx, Cormac McCarthy, Daniel Woodrell, Raymond Chandler, Truman Capote...and the list goes on and on!  I like writing mysteries because it really gives me the broadest range of things to write about.  A good thriller can be a romance, a historical epic, a murder investigation.  The scope is endless!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm clearly losing my mind. I was on the phone this a.m. when I posted that book cover - ON THE WRONG THREAD. Fixing it now.

Good grief.

Author
rj_ellory
0 Kudos

Well, being a writer is now my job, as opposed to doing a full-time job and then writing in the evenings and at weekends.  However, having said that, with touring, the website, facebook, forums, e-mails and all else, I am busier now than I ever was when I was working a 'normal' job (not that there's such a thing, but you know what I mean!)  And as far as the US is concerned, it took a long, long time - even after I was published and successful all over Europe - to find a publisher in the US that would take me on.  It was six years before Overlook came to the rescue, and though they are very driven and passionate about making the books successful, they are a small company and thus do not have the financial wherewithal to do a big promotional campaign.  Therefore we are almost wholly reliant on goodwill, word-of-mouth and internet forums!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Finally finished A SIMPLE ACT OF VIOLENCE. It was another great read with a lot of "food for thought". It actually seemed more like non-fiction instead of fiction to me because I can actually believe that your story could actually happen.

I was involved in local politics in my home town from 1997 through 2008 and saw many shady things happening. I tried to make things better but in the end, the voters didn't know who to believe and ended up voting the corrupt people back in. That's when I threw in the towel and now I spend more time reading and doing things for my family.

If you can't chage things in your home town, how can things get better in Washington? Scary but I can image there are a lot of things going on that would shock a lot of us!

I gave my husband A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS. He said that he thinks you are a good Wordsmith and describe things very well. His father came from Columbus, Georgia and he remembers visiting there in late 40's and 50's and you have captured what he remembers. He wanted me to ask you if your research actually required you to go to Georgia.

I told him that he needs to read A SIMPLE ACT OF VIOLENCE. I will also be acquiring some of your other books too! 

Hope you can one day get the rest of your books published! Sorry that you had such a hard time getting published. People don't know what they are missing!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
rj_ellory
0 Kudos

Well, a journalist for The Washington Post read ASAOV, and not only had he covered Watergate, Nicaragua and 9/11, but he was ex-CIA.  He said that everything in ASAOV was true (all the factually-researched stuff), but I had written the equivalent of a snowflake, when there was actually an iceberg of corruption!  And for AQBIA, I didn't go to Georgia before I wrote it, but shortly thereafter, and I was amazed to find that it was just as I had imagined it!  Really, and I don't mean this flippantly, I had the very strongest sense of deja-vu for some reason!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

rj_ellory wrote:

Well, a journalist for The Washington Post read ASAOV, and not only had he covered Watergate, Nicaragua and 9/11, but he was ex-CIA.  He said that everything in ASAOV was true (all the factually-researched stuff), but I had written the equivalent of a snowflake, when there was actually an iceberg of corruption!  And for AQBIA, I didn't go to Georgia before I wrote it, but shortly thereafter, and I was amazed to find that it was just as I had imagined it!  Really, and I don't mean this flippantly, I had the very strongest sense of deja-vu for some reason!

Interesting what the journalist had to say. I've had some deja-vu experiences and they really are fascinating. It almost makes you believe in reincarnation. Well, my husband said you described Georgia and O-swamp (sp?) and all the rivers he remembered and your descriptions were right on!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

rj_ellory wrote:

This gives me chills!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

R.J. - Thank you so much for visiting with us this week! Please come back anytime you have news or updates on your upcoming books. I hope to meet you at a Barnes & Noble book signing one of these days!

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome RJ

Great reads all around..the whole crime and mystery theme

Congrats on all the literary recognition too!

You keep writing, I'll keep reading. 

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Author
rj_ellory
0 Kudos

Well, that's hugely appreciated, and I will definitely keep writing.  Working on the UK release for 2013 now, and that will be the eleventh title.  One day I hope to have thirty or forty out there!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

rj_ellory wrote:

Well, that's hugely appreciated, and I will definitely keep writing.  Working on the UK release for 2013 now, and that will be the eleventh title.  One day I hope to have thirty or forty out there!

I hope you'll soon get the recognition you deserve in the U.S. as well as the U.K.!

Have a very Merry Christmas, R.J.!

Author
rj_ellory
0 Kudos

And the very same to you and yours.  All my very best wishes for a truly excellent Xmas, and a happy and prosperous 2012!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Message from Author R.J. ELLORY!

[ Edited ]

Did anyone ever ask you, "What ya readin' for?" Here's how to answer that question:

http://www.rjellory.com/what-ya-readin-for/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Message from Author R.J. ELLORY!

eadieburke wrote:

Did anyone ever ask you, "What ya readin' for?" Here's how to answer that question:

Thanks for the link, Eadie!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Re: Message from Author R.J. ELLORY!

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Thanks for the link, Eadie!

Your welcome!