Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author R.J. ELLORY!

I'm very excited to welcome R.J. ELLORY to B&N's Mystery Forum! A friend of mine who is the most knowledgeable mystery reader I know - his name is Tony Del Vecchio - recommended R.J.'s books to me. I started with  A SIMPLE ACT OF VIOLENCE. The minute I finished reading it, I looked for R.J. online and invited him to join us. He is a very powerful writer!

Check out his website here: http://rjellory.com/

He's on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/rjellory

Here is PART of Tony's review of A SIMPLE ACT OF VIOLENCE. (I've deleted some possible spoilers.)

Ellory, R. J.  A SIMPLE ACT OF VIOLENCE.  (2008).  *****.

Mr. Ellory is an English crime writer, but has set this novel in Washington,D.C.  It’s the logical place for it since it deals, primarily, with the activities of the CIA.  He certainly managed to do all of his research, and the book manages to expose – during the course of the story – the ways the CIA manages to fund its subrosaactivities. 

Ellory is a terrific writer.  His novel previous to this one, “A Quiet Belief in Angels,” was a masterful tour-de-force that I recommended to all of my friends.  He has not yet managed, it seems, to make his mark in this country yet.  Just wait. 

This novel is scary.  It contains enough probable truths to disturb most of us who would read it.  It starts out as a normal detective story.  Two detectives from D.C. have been assigned to a case of multiple murders committed by a perp given the name, “The Ribbon Killer.”  So far, three women have been his victims.  The murderer severely beats them up, then, finally, kills them.  There’s no sex involved.  He leaves his mark:  a ribbon tied around their necks, and a blank name tag tied to their hand or foot.  He leaves no clues. Soon, we are given alternate dialogues between the two detectives, Miller and Roth, and the presumed perp.  The police are stumped.

“This novel is an expose of the brutality of unchecked power, the seduction of greed and the insidious nature of corruption.  It is also a story of love and of trust that somehow managed to survive the very worst that the world could throw at it.”  Highly recommended.

Read more about Tony Del Vecchio here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Ransom-Notes-The-BN-Mystery-Blog/In-the-Zone-A-Mystery-Lover-...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author R.J. ELLORY!

BIO

Roger Jon Ellory

Roger Jon Ellory was born in Birmingham, England, June 20th 1965 at Sorento Hospital. The hospital has now been demolished. There is no direct evidence that the two events were linked. 

His father having already left before Roger was born, he was then orphaned at the age of seven. His mother, Carole – an actress and dancer – died as a result of a pneumonia epidemic that claimed more than a dozen victims in the early 1970s. In 1973 Roger was swiftly despatched to a boarding school and stayed there until he was sixteen. Upon leaving school he returned to Birmingham to live with his maternal grandmother. His grandfather had already drowned off the Gower Peninsula in the south of Wales in 1957. In April of 1982 Roger’s grandmother died following a number of heart attacks.

At   seventeen  years  of   age he  was arrested for poaching.
He  was  charged, tried, and sentenced to a jail term which he served without causing too much trouble. Upon his release he vanished quietly into relative obscurity to pursue interests in graphic design, photography and music. As a guitar player in a band call ed 'The Manta Rays' he was partly responsible for their reputation as the loudest band south of Manchester and north of London. Following the untimely death of their drummer, Roger quit the music scene and devoted himself to studying obscure philosophies and reading. Through the complete works of Conan Doyle, Michael Moorcock, JRR Tolkien, numerous books by Stephen King and many others, his interest in fiction steadily grew, not only from the viewpoint of a reader, but a burgeoning interest as a writer.

Roger began his first novel on November 4th, 1987 and did not stop, except for three days when he was going through a divorce from his first wife, until July of 1993. During this time he completed twenty-two novels, most of them in longhand, and accumulated several hundred polite and complimentary rejection letters from many different and varied publishers. The standard response from the UK publishing trade was that they could not consider the possibility of publishing books based in the United States written by an Englishman. He was advised to send his work to American publishers, which he duly did, and received from them equally polite and complimentary rejection letters that said it was not possible for American publishers to publish books set in the US written by an Englishman.  One of his agents became an author, another retired from representation and moved abroad, the last one just stopped calling.

Roger stopped writing out of sheer frustration and did not start again for eight years.

During the latter part of 2001 Roger was working for a freight company in Birmingham.  As part of his on-the-job training he was shown how to use a computer.  In the early part of September 2001 he decided to start writing again.  This decision was based on the realization that it was the only thing he had ever really wanted to do.

Between August 2001 and January 2002 he wrote three books, the second of which was called ‘Candlemoth’. This was purchased by Orion and published in 2003. How and why it was published is another story entirely, which if you ever go to one of Roger events he will tell you! ‘Candlemoth’ was translated into German, Dutch and Italian, and has now also been purchased for translation in numerous other languages. The book also secured a nomination on the shortlist for the Crime Writers’ Association Steel Dagger for Best Thriller 2003.
Roger’s second book, ‘Ghostheart’, was released in 2004, and his third book, ‘A Quiet Vendetta’, was released in August 2005.  (‘A Quiet Vendetta’ went on to win the Quebec Laureat 2010 and the Villeneuve Prix Des Lecteurs 2010 in its French translation.) 

In 2006 he published ‘City of Lies’, and once again secured a nomination for the CWA Steel Dagger for Best Thriller of that year. ‘City of Lies’ was also translated into Bulgarian and made available in Large Print.

His fifth book – ‘A Quiet Belief In Angels’ - was published in August 2006, and in the latter part of the year it was selected for the phenomenally successful British TV equivalent of the Oprah Winfrey Book Club, the Richard and Judy Book Club.

The book has since been translated into twenty-five languages including French, Italian, Japanese, Brazilian, Norwegian and Lithuanian, released on both abridged and unabridged audio, and made available in Large Print. As of December 2009 there were more than 300,000 copies of the book in circulation in the UK alone.  ‘A Quiet Belief In Angels’ went on to be shortlisted for the Barry Award for Best British Crime Fiction, the 813 Trophy, the Quebec Booksellers’ Prize, The Europeen Du Point Crime Fiction Prize, and was winner of the Inaugural Prix Roman Noir Nouvel Observateur, The Strand Magazine Best Thriller of the Year, the Livre De Poche Award 2010, and the US Indie Excellence Award for Best Mystery.  The book was also optioned for film, and Roger has recently completed the screenplay for Oscar-winning French director, Olivier Dahan.

Following on from ‘A Quiet Belief In Angels’, Roger released ‘A Simple Act of Violence’, again securing a Barry Award nomination for Best British Crime Fiction of 2008.  ‘A Simple Act of Violence’ went on to win the Theakston’s Crime Novel of the Year Award.

In late 2009 he released ‘The Anniversary Man’, and then ‘Saints of New York’ in early 2010. 

Roger completed a month of touring in October 2009 through France and Belgium, and then across the East Coast of the USA through Indianapolis, Chicago, Philadelphia, New York, Atlanta, Miami and Nashville.  In 2010 he will attend events and festivals in Dubai, France, Holland, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Switzerland, Turkey and Italy. 

He has now completed ‘Bad Signs’ for a June 2011 release. 

On numerous occasions people have tried to identify Roger's work with a particular genre - crime, thriller, historical fiction - but this categorisation has been a relatively fruitless endeavour. Roger's ethos is merely to work towards producing a good story, something that encapsulates elements of humanity and life without necessarily slotting into a predetermined pigeonhole. He attempts to produce an average of forty thousand words a month, and aims to get a first draft completed within three to four months. His wife thinks he is a workaholic, his son considers him slightly left-of-centre, but they put up with him regardless. His son has long since been aware of the fact that 'dad' buys stuff, and thus his idiosyncrasies should be tolerated. Roger doesn't read anywhere enough books, doesn't watch enough movies, and keeps trying to remedy these omissions. To date he has routinely failed. Recently he read a book called 'How Not To Write A Novel' by David Armstrong. His favourite quote from this book went along the lines of 'The harder you work the luckier you get'. He agrees with this principle, and thus has no intention of retiring from anything, ever.  He's just going to keep on writing, and he hopes people keep on reading.  Additionally he has returned to music, and intends to start playing live once again in the early part of 2011 with a band called ‘The Whiskey Poets’.  You have been warned…

You can e-mail Roger through the website (just click on ‘Contact’ on the Home Page).  Additionally, you can find him on his personal Facebook page (Roger Jon Ellory), the Facebook Fan Club (R J Ellory) and on twitter (rjellory).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Awards & Nominations:

TITLE AWARD  
Candlemoth CWA Steel Dagger for Best Thriller 2003 Shortlisted

A Quiet Vendetta The 8th Prix Du Polar Europeen Du Point Fiction Award Shortlisted
  WINNER OF PRIX DES LIBRAIRES DU QUEBEC LAUREAT 2010 Winner
  WINNER OF PRIX DES LECTEURS AVIGNON 2010 Winner
  WINNER OF PRIX ROMAN NOIR ST. MAUR 2011 Winner

City of Lies CWA Steel Dagger for Best Thriller 2006 Shortlisted

A Quiet Belief In Angels Barry Award for Best British Crime Fiction 2008 Shortlisted
  The Association 813 Trophy Shortlisted
  The 7th Prix Du Polar Europeen Du Point Shortlisted
  The Quebec Booksellers’ Prize Shortlisted
  WINNER OF INAUGURAL ROMAN NOIR NOUVEL OBSERVATEUR PRIZE 2008
WINNER OF BEST THRILLER 2009 - THE STRAND MAGAZINE, NEW YORK

Winner

Winner

Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance Book Award 2010 Shortlisted
  USA NATIONAL INDIE EXCELLENCE AWARD FOR BEST MYSTERY OF 2010 Winner
  WINNER OF LIVRE DE POCHE AWARD 2010 Winner

A Simple Act of Violence Barry Award for Best British Crime Fiction 2009 Shortlisted
  Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year 2010 Winner

Other
(not book-specific)
CWA Dagger in the Library 2009 Shortlisted
  CWA Dagger in the Library 2010 Shortlisted
  CWA Dagger in the Library 2011 Shortlisted

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

See more video clips here: http://www.youtube.com/rjellorytv

Here's his latest blog post: http://rjellory.blogspot.com/

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 2011

6 comments 
AND THE BEAT GOES ON…

The tail-end of October into the middle of November saw me moving away from the current project of completing ‘The Devil and The River’ (due for publication some time in 2013), as I undertook two entirely different writing projects, both of which are still under wraps, the first very definitely a literary project which will be released in the spring of 2012, the second a tentative venture into an entirely different genre and arena. The first is a certain, the second is an unknown, and – at least to some degree – these activities have reminded me that it is always necessary to look forward, to keep reviewing what you are doing, and, if needs be, to reinvent yourself.
Perhaps the music side of things was not enough, after all!
Nevertheless, mentioning that as I am, The Whiskey Poets project is still very much at the forefront of my attention, and we are in fact playing a gig at a private party today. The CD saw the release of four tracks, three originals and one cover, and we have since completed the writing of a further five or six new tracks. We are aiming to have a live set ready for gigging in the New Year, but I am extraordinarily busy, as are both Chris (bass) and Simon (drums). With full-time jobs, families, and all else that is required of you as a human being, it is not the easiest thing in the world to routinely find the time to do what we need to do.
Anyway, all that aside, we will be on the road soon, and we are looking forward to it immensely. We have invested in a 5500 watt PA system, so we can pretty much deafen anyone from a hundred yards.
If any of you want one of the CDs, they can be obtained through the website (www.whiskeypoets.com).
Since we last spoke, ‘Bad Signs’ has been released (October 27th), and it appears to have been well-received. Unfortunately, Amazon is pretty much the only public forum where any kind of wider public response can be posted, and the vast majority of people who buy and read books don’t post reviews on Amazon. Hence, the reviews you wind up with – though very positive in the main – are not wholly representative of the overall opinion. Nevertheless, those that are posted are very much appreciated. Of course, it is impossible to please everyone all the time, and it never ceases to amaze me when I get a critical or negative review which begins, ‘I have read all of this author’s books, and though I liked the earlier ones, I didn’t like this one, and this is why…’, and yet they have never posted a single word about the books they did like! Is that the seemingly natural human tendency we have to point out only those things that we find fault with, and never acknowledge those things that we consider good? I don’t understand it! It’s like spending time with a friend, and the only things you ever say are those designed to draw attention to aspects of their personality or character that you dislike. Methinks such a friendship would not survive long!
Anyway, authors are not in the business of soliciting reviews, and this is merely a comment on the oddity of things, of which there seems to be no shortage in life!
I was reading Emerson the other day, always a good way to spend your time, and I came across two quotes, quotes I have read before, but they seemed particularly inspiring and relevant today.

“Be yourself; no base imitator of another, but your best self. There is something which you can do better than another. Listen to the inward voice and bravely obey that. Do the things at which you are great, not what you were never made for.”

“The crowning fortune of a man is to be born to some pursuit which finds him employment and happiness, whether it be to make baskets, or broadswords, or canals, or statues, or songs.”

Emerson was an exceptional writer, and an extraordinarily perceptive man, and the above two quotes seem to say a great deal about where we aren’t in this society at this time.
My brother reported to me the details of an article he’d recently read in one of the newspapers. Apparently a survey was undertaken of a great number of schoolchildren, ages ranging – I seem to recall – from eight to fifteen. When asked, ‘What do you want to be when you’re an adult?’, over seventy percent of them replied, ‘A celebrity’. When asked what it was they intended to be celebrated for, they didn’t understand the question.
I have been watching the recent Murdoch inquiry events, the phone-hacking ‘scandals’ et al, and it seems to me that Murdoch is a primary contributor to this current phenomenon where one is a ‘celebrity’ if a) one has money but produces nothing of any real value, or b) one shouts loudly enough that one is a celebrity without actually producing anything of any real value, or c) goes on a television program that is titillating, contentious, scandalous, gossip-driven, or just plain idiotic, and tells everyone that one is a celebrity, again without producing anything of any real value. I was in the supermarket yesterday, somewhere I go routinely, and I still cannot fathom the interest that justifies the continued publication of so-called ‘human interest’ and ‘chat’ magazines. The headlines blow my mind! ‘Slept with my boyfriend while his fiancée rotted in the garage’. ‘Shock horror – Cheryl Cole changes her shampoo’. ‘Chantelle is terrified she’ll get fat!’. ‘Katie dumped by new BFF’. ‘Danii says no to Simon for ever!’. And I’m thinking, ‘Who is this for? Who cares? Who, really, gives a single, solitary, meaningless crap about this banal and pointless drivel? Really?’
But these magazines keep being published so people must be buying them, and I’m wondering if those readers will ever read a quote by Emerson, or anyone else for that matter, that gives them some sort of real inspiration, a desire to create something that only they are capable of creating, something unique that leaves a mark on the world around them, and somehow improves it for the better.
Methinks, perhaps not.
Anyway, all that aside, I am not going to start ranting again. I have ranted so many times, and I know – for the main part – that it falls on deaf ears, and those whose ears are not deaf, well they pretty much have the same attitude as I about the shameful state we seem to have descended into as a culture.
When we are closing libraries, graduating a third or fourth generation of teenagers from school who not only don’t want to read, but can’t, when we are witness to half a dozen ‘I Hate Reading’ groups on facebook, between them possessing a membership that’s getting on for a million people, when we see professionally-printed notices and signs in the public domain that are littered with grammatical and spelling errors (Bussinessess Open As Usual; Newspapers & Ciggerettes; If You Look Under 21, We Will Need Proof Your Over 18 – all real examples within a mile of where I live!), then I think we are long past the point of being in trouble. 
However, I will shut up. I get very vocal about this, and then I realise I am taking ever more firm and certain steps towards the status of Grumpy Old Man’, a status I am not resisting, not by any means, but it’s not very rock ‘n’ roll…or maybe it is. Elvis was a voracious reader, specializing in books concerning religion, philosophy and spirituality, and I know for a fact that Keith Richards is rarely without a book.
Personally I think books are cool and sexy. I think girls who read books are cool and sexy. I think that a lot of girls think that boys who read books are cool and sexy.
Why aren’t books cool and sexy any more? They are, and they should be, and that’s all there is to it.
End of story, so to speak.

Okay, on to other things…

We are all done and dusted on the copy-edit for ‘A Dark and Broken Heart’, due for release in May, 2012.
The blurb is as follows:

It should have been so easy for Vincent Madigan. Take four hundred thousand dollars away from some thieves, and who could they go to for help? No-one at all. For Madigan is charming, effective, and knows how to look after himself. The only problem is that he's up to his neck in debts to Sandia - the drug kingpin of Harlem, known as the 'Watermelon Man' on account of the terrible act of vengeance he inflicted against someone who betrayed him. This one heist will free Madigan from Sandia's control, and will finally give him the chance he needs to get his life back on track. But when Madigan is forced to kill his co-conspirators, he finds that not only is the stolen money marked, but an innocent child has been wounded in the crossfire.
Now both Sandia and the collected might of the NYPD are looking for him. And beyond even this, the one person assigned to identify and hunt down Madigan is the very last person in the world he could have expected. Employing every deception and ruse he can think of, Madigan is engaged in a battle of wits that will test him to the very limit of his ability. Can he evade justice for what he has done, or will his own conscience become the very thing that unravels every one of his meticulous plans? Will this final lie be his salvation, or his undoing?

It is, once again, a very different book from the last one. It is set in New York in the present, and spans just a few days in the life of Vincent Madigan. There is no backstory to this one, as such. It is just a linear narrative, or, as a friend of mine so perceptively and accurately says, ‘Like one of those books where there’s a bunch of people and shit just happens…’, which – as far as I can see – is perhaps the most excellent way of describing any book! So yes, it is a book where there’s a bunch of people and shit just happens.

But, as I alluded to earlier, there are a couple of other things in the pipeline that will be around before May, so watch this space.

So, there we have it. A brief update. A brief rant. 

I am sad to note that Tony Blair is still alive and well. Someone commented to me recently that he seems to be getting ever more orange in colour. I think he made a deal with the Devil, and has to spend one day a week in Hell in preparation for his eternity. Maybe Blair is learning the ropes, as the Devil has finally decided he’s had enough and has selected Blair as the most eminent candidate for his replacement. Headhunted, so to speak. With Hussein and bin Laden gone, Ghaddafi also, it seems that most of Tony’s closest chums have gone to prepare his reception in the bowels of Hell. Best place for him. 

So, on that cheery note, I bid you farewell for now.

I trust all is well with you and yours, and I hope we shall speak again soon.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Quiet Vendetta: A Thriller

A Quiet Vendetta  

Overview

By award-winning thriller heavyweight R.J. Ellory, this ambitious crime novel takes his skill for suspense to a spellbinding level. When Catherine Ducane disappears in New Orleans, the cops react fast--she is the governor's daughter, after all. But the case quickly grows strange.

Her bodyguard turns up horribly mutilated, and when the kidnapper calls, he doesn't want money: he wants time alone with a minor government functionary. By the time the pieces fall into place, it's already too late . . .

A Quiet Vendetta is both the epic story of one mobster's life-- ranging from Cuba to Chicago-- and equally a powerful thriller of rage, love, and loss. With tension to match the best of Cussler, Patterson, and his own best-selling work, A Quiet Vendetta confirms R.J. Ellory's place at the forefront of the genre.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please give R.J. ELLORY a big welcome!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi R.J. - welcome to the Mystery forum!

I loved A SIMPLE ACT OF VIOLENCE - I'll never look at politics the same way again! I'm gradually adding the rest of your books to my TBR pile - I wish I had more hours in the day, so I could set some aside just for reading.

I noticed on your website it says you have a new book out now, but it's not available yet at B&N (it's saying February 2012). Do your books come out in England first?

And, just to confirm, are you living in the U.S. permanently now, or do you alternate between England and the U.S.?

One more question: Since you aren't shy about sharing your feelings about some figures in the British government, do you feel at all nervous when you go back? Have you had any flack from this?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Thank you for introducing us to yet another talented writer, becke.

Roger, or RJ, welcome to our friendly forum here at Barnes and Noble.

Your early bio is very Dickensian--it's not surprising to me that you turned to writing. Have you ever thought of putting a fictionalized reference to any of your deceased relatives in your books?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
rj_ellory
0 Kudos

Well, there are nine books available in the UK right now, but only three in the US.  We are about to release the fourth title ('A Quiet Vendetta') in January 2012.  This was a book that was first available in the UK back in 2005, but due to the fact that all the books are standalones, they can be read in any order.  I am resident in the UK, but I try to get to the States as many times a year as I can.  I am actually back in the US in January, and will be doing events in Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, New Jersey and New York.  And as far as British politics is concerned, I cannot tell you how pleased I am that we no longer have Tony Blair as our Prime Minister, and that's all I need to say on that point!

Author
rj_ellory
0 Kudos

Well, Fricka, I have actually been asked that a good number of times, and my answer is always the same!  Other peoples' lives are always so much more interesting than your own, and I really feel that - even though it might read like a Dickensian trauma - my childhood wasn't so bad!  I went to a good school with a great library, and without that library I don't think I'd be a writer!  And thank you for your welcome.  It's a pleasure to be talking to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

rj_ellory wrote:

Well, there are nine books available in the UK right now, but only three in the US.  We are about to release the fourth title ('A Quiet Vendetta') in January 2012.  This was a book that was first available in the UK back in 2005, but due to the fact that all the books are standalones, they can be read in any order.  I am resident in the UK, but I try to get to the States as many times a year as I can.  I am actually back in the US in January, and will be doing events in Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, New Jersey and New York.  And as far as British politics is concerned, I cannot tell you how pleased I am that we no longer have Tony Blair as our Prime Minister, and that's all I need to say on that point!

My husband is British, although he's lived in the States for decades. We lived in England for seven years when we were first married (yonks ago), and his dad and brother still live there. We try to keep up with British politics, but it's not the same when it doesn't hit you at home.

When you come to the U.S., will you be doing any Barnes & Noble book signings? I'd love to publicize those here!

I'm not sure if we're five or six hours behind you - I think it changes with Daylight Savings Time here. Last week our featured author was visiting from Central Asia, and a few weeks ago an author joined us from Malta. I'm getting used to allowing for time changes!

BTW, your "author" tag should show up soon.

Author
rj_ellory
0 Kudos

I am not sure if I will be doing any B&N signings.  I don't think the schedule/itinerary has yet been finalised.  And I can tell you are married to a Brit because you say 'yonks'!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

rj_ellory wrote:

I am not sure if I will be doing any B&N signings.  I don't think the schedule/itinerary has yet been finalised.  And I can tell you are married to a Brit because you say 'yonks'!

LOL! It doesn't help that my husband and I are addicted to British TV shows - mysteries and comedies. As a struggling fiction writer, it has caused me a few problems. My critique partners are always chiding me for using terms they aren't familiar with. Sometimes I prefer the British expressions because they are more colorful, but frequently I don't even realize they're British! 

My husband has lost most of his accent - until he runs into another Brit, or talks to his family on the phone. Then it comes back in an instant, much to the amusement of our kids.

When he first moved to the U.S. in the 1960s, he was popular because of his accent (he had long hair and played guitar, and it was the era of the British Invasion), but it drove him nuts when people couldn't understand him. He worked hard on losing his accent, but now he wishes he hadn't!

Author
rj_ellory
0 Kudos

So I have the same problem in reverse.  My wife keeps reminding me it's a 'pavement', not a 'sidewalk', and that you put things in the 'boot', not the 'trunk'!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

rj_ellory wrote:

So I have the same problem in reverse.  My wife keeps reminding me it's a 'pavement', not a 'sidewalk', and that you put things in the 'boot', not the 'trunk'!

We've started a collection of books like this:

The Queen's English  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

rj_ellory wrote:

Well, Fricka, I have actually been asked that a good number of times, and my answer is always the same!  Other peoples' lives are always so much more interesting than your own, and I really feel that - even though it might read like a Dickensian trauma - my childhood wasn't so bad!  I went to a good school with a great library, and without that library I don't think I'd be a writer!  And thank you for your welcome.  It's a pleasure to be talking to you.

Shoot, and here I thought I was asking a novel(heh, heh) question! Guess when it comes to mysteries, a lot of us think alike!

I know what you mean about having a school with a great library, though--when I was just turning 12, our family moved from a teeny town(pop about 500, tops) to a much larger town, pop. 2500. I thought I was in Heaven when I saw the town library! On top of that, both the Jr. High AND HighSchools had rather largish libraries as well. Oh, the bliss of having ALL those books to choose from!

Hope you will feel comfortable popping back in whenever you feel like it, to our cozy little forum here. BTW, I note you indicated you will be visiting some of the Southwestern states here in the US. I live in Arizona, so I would appreciate it if you would give notice of when and where you're going to be signing books.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie