Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author REBECCA CANTRELL!

This week's featured author is REBECCA CANTRELL, author of the amazing Hannah Vogel mysteries.

Rebecca Cantrell

Her website is here: http://rebeccacantrell.com/

Rebecca has visited here before:http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/IT-S-TUESDAY-Visiting-Authors-Today-are-Kelli-Stanley...

And she recently wrote a guest blog for us: 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-by-Author-REBECCA-CANTRELL/m-p/982568/high...

Her book A TRACE OF SMOKE was a B&N Bookseller Pick: 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/B-N-Bookseller-Picks/A-Trace-of-Smoke-by-Rebecca-Cantrell/idi...

Rebecca Cantrell

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author REBECCA CANTRELL!

Book News:

• Featured in I Spy a Stash of Espionage Novels, USA Today

A Night of Long Knives

A Trace of Smoke

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

BIOGRAPHY

A few years ago Rebecca Cantrell quit her job, sold her house, and moved to Hawaii to write a novel because, at seven, she decided that she would be a writer. Now she writes the Hannah Vogel mystery series set in Berlin in the 1930s, including “A Trace of Smoke and the forthcoming “A Night of Long Knives.” “A Trace of Smoke” was considered by major cable networks as a television series.

A faded pink triangle pasted on the wall of Dachau Concentration Camp and time in Berlin, Germany in the 1980s inspired “A Trace of Smoke.” Fluent in German, she received her high school diploma from the John F. Kennedy Schule in Berlin and studied at the Freie Universität in Berlin and the Georg August Universität in Göttingen before graduating from Carnegie Mellon University.

When she visited Berlin in the summer of 2006, she was astounded to discover that many locations in her novel have been rebuilt and reopened in the last few years, including the gay bar El Dorado and the Mosse House publishing house.

Her short story “Coffee” appear in the “Missing” anthology, and her short story “On the Train” will be in the “First Thrills” anthology in June 2010.

Her screenplay “The Humanitarian” was a finalist at Shriekfest 2008: The Los Angeles Horror/Sci-fi Film Festival. Her screenplay “A Taste For Blood” was a finalist at the Shriekfest 2007: The Los Angeles Horror/Sci-fi Film Festival.

As of this writing, she lives in Hawaii with her Ironman husband and son.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You can see the full list of Rebecca's scheduled events here: 

http://rebeccacantrell.com/events/

Her blog is here: http://rebeccacantrell.com/blog/

Contact Rebecca Cantrell by emailing rebecca@rebeccacantrell.com

You can also find Rebecca on FacebookTwitter and GoodReads:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Trace of Smoke (Hannah Vogel Series #1)  

Even though hardened crime reporter Hannah Vogel knows all too well how tough it is to survive in 1931 Berlin, she is devastated when she sees a photograph of her brother’s body posted in the Hall of the Unnamed Dead. Ernst, a cross-dressing lounge singer at a seedy nightclub, had many secrets, a never-ending list of lovers, and plenty of opportunities to get into trouble.

Hannah delves into the city’s dark underbelly to flush out his murderer, but the late night arrival of a five-year-old orphan on her doorstep complicates matters. The endearing Anton claims that Hannah is his mother… and that her dead brother Ernst is his father.

As her investigations into Ernst’s murder and Anton's parentage uncover political intrigue and sex scandals in the top ranks of the rising Nazi party, Hannah fears not only for her own life, but for that of a small boy who has come to call her “mother.”

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Night of Long Knives (Hannah Vogel Series #2)  

Journalist Hannah Vogel has vowed to never again set foot in her homeland of Germany while the Nazis are still in power. She has good reason: three years ago in 1931, she kidnapped her "son," Anton, from the man claiming to be his father—Ernst Rohm, head of the Nazis' SA. A powerful man not to be trifled with, Hannah knows that Rohm will never stop searching for them.

Hannah is asked to write about a zeppelin journey from South America to Switzerland, but Switzerland turns out to be too close. The zeppelin is diverted to Munich, where Hannah and Anton are kidnapped and, to Hannah's horror, separated.

It's unlucky timing for Rohm, however. Hitler has ordered the execution of Rohm and hundreds of his storm troopers and is determined to wipe out any remaining traces of his name. The Night of the Long Knives has begun.

When Rohm is killed before Hannah can ascertain Anton's whereabouts, she desperately enlists all of her remaining sources and friends to locate Anton before the Nazis do. And the Gestapo is closing in...

Thrilling and powerful, A Night of Long Knives breathtakingly recreates a shattered and betrayed city as it plunges into darkness.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Game of Lies  

Journalist Hannah Vogel returns in A Game of Lies by award-winning author Rebecca Cantrell

In preparation for the 1936 Berlin Olympics, the Nazis have rid the streets of anti-Semitic material and other propaganda, and present a peace-seeking face to the world. Journalist and part-time spy for the British, Hannah Vogel, shudders to think of what lies under the temporary coat of gloss.

Posing as travel reporter Adelheid Zinsli and lover of SS officer Lars Lang, Hannah has been collecting Nazi secrets from Lang and smuggling them back to Switzerland. Wanted by the SS, her travel in and out of Germany has always been fraught with danger, but this trip is especially treacherous.

Surrounded by former colleagues who could identify her, Hannah tries to keep a low profile while reporting on the Games as Adelheid. Her relationship with Lang gets more complicated as he sinks into alcoholism; the whispers she hears about his work in the SS give her chills. Whose side is he on?

Hannah agrees to meet her mentor, Peter Weill, at the Stadium, but before he can reveal information that will expose the Nazis, he dies in front of her. Hannah suspects poison.

Hannah must discover who killed Weill and get his secret package out of the country before the Olympics end and the Nazis tighten their noose…and before her true identity is revealed. And her partner may be the very one about to expose her…

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Also by Rebecca Black, writing as Bekka Black:

iDrakula  

The classic vampire story that started it all gets new life for a generation of connected teens

18-year-old Jonathan Harker is diagnosed with a rare blood disorder after visiting a Romanian Count. His girlfriend Mina and a pre-med student named Van Helsing team up to investigate the source of the disease. The teenagers discover a horrifying truth: the Count is a vampire. The harrowing events unfold through emails, text messages, web pages, Twitter feeds, and instant messaging-the natural modernization of Bram Stoker's original Dracula, which was written in letters, diary entries, and news clippings.

"Bold, innovative , and warped. . .an insanely imaginative tour de force."
—James Rollins, New York Times bestselling author

"Black expertly interweaves story and technology in this timely Dracula tale."
—Rebecca Maizel, author of infinite Days

"What happened?"

"Not sure. I was fine when I went to bed."

"But?"

"But I dreamed that someone got into my room."

"Who?"

"I don't remember his face. He was tall, thin, pale...I was paralyzed. And then my neck hurt and my mouth was full of..."

"Of what?"

"Blood. My mouth was full of blood."

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Excerpt of A Game of Lies

The crowd pushed the three of us between the Marathon Towers toward
the Berlin Olympic Stadium.  The left tower displayed a simple
clock.  On the right, both po liti cally and geographically, hung a twisted
iron cross— the swastika.  I understood the message:  It was 1936, and
the time of the Nazis had come.
Inside the stadium, I shied away from the enclosed white cabins that
signaled press boxes.  The journalists inside knew me as German crime
reporter Hannah Vogel, wanted by the Gestapo for kidnapping the
young son of the now- deceased Ernst Röhm.  I ner vous ly tilted my
wide- brimmed hat to conceal my face and moved with the crowd down
the stairs.  Surely I would be diffi cult to notice among so many faces.
My current identity was Adelheid Zinsli, neutral Swiss reporter
and, hopefully incognito, part- time spy for the British.  I looked over
at my contact, SS Hauptsturmführer Lars Lang, as we moved toward
our seats in the stadium.  Years of our deadly game made most trips

feel routine, but this time I was frightened.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome REBECCA CANTRELL!

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Welcome Rebecca to the B&N Mystery Forum.  I haven't read any of your books yet, but they sound great.  I'm a big Dracula fan, so I'll enjoy your modern  take of the classic story.  OMG, OMG, OMG!  I am so excited about your events.  I clicked on your schedule link, just curious of course, because NO ONE ever comes to the Pacific Northwest.  The Bellevue Library is two blocks from my workplace so I'll plan to be there.  Thank you for including us in your book tour and also thank you for taking time to visit with us here.  Enjoy your stay.

Oh, I do have a question.  I understand the Germany setting with your educational background, but is there a particular reason that you chose the 1930's and the Nazis?

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I forgot to mention, Rebecca has a heart-wrenching short story in this anthology:

First Thrills  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome back, Rebecca, to our forum here. I enjoyed reading your earlier blog, about Sam Spade meeting(and being outdone by) Ms. Precious R. ( sorry, it's toooo early in the morning for me to remember how her last name is spelled!--I'm not quite fully awake yet!)

I'm just wondering--it seems(to me) that it's curious that you are living in Hawaii and yet writing about events in WWII Berlin. Did you begin your research on Germany BEFORE your move to Hawaii, or did that come after the move? Do you think you will eventually write a mystery located in Hawaii??

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's easy to see why Rebecca's books are constantly winning awards. Her books give us a new perspective on a period of history that's been covered by thousands of authors, and yet she still makes it fresh and new. And did I mention suspenseful? I was on the edge of my seat from the first page of GAME OF LIES. And I can't get Rebecca's short story from FIRST THRILLS out of my head, even though I read it weeks ago. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Thank you, Becke, for the lovely welcome! All the book info AND roses. I feel like a celebrity. :smileyhappy:

Now, off to answer questions...

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Hi Nancy,

I look forward to seeing you in  Bellevue!

>Oh, I do have a question.  I understand the Germany setting with your educational background, but is there a >particular reason that you chose the 1930's and the Nazis?

Germany had its own roaring 20s, but that screeched to a halt after the Nazis came to power. I wanted to learn about the last few years of that life, so 1931 was a pivotal year. After I wrote the 1931 book, the others just followed along (1934 because a key historical figure from the first book dies then, 1936 because of the Olympics, and so on).

Thanks for the great question!

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Hi Fricka,

>I'm just wondering--it seems(to me) that it's curious that you are living in Hawaii and yet writing about events in >WWII Berlin. Did you begin your research on Germany BEFORE your move to Hawaii, or did that come after the

>move? Do you think you will eventually write a mystery located in Hawaii??

It is a backward way of doing things, isn't it? I did most of my Germany research from Hawaii , just to make things as complicated as possible. I'm thinking of moving to Berlin in a few years. At that point, if history is any judge, I'll immediately start writing about Hawai. :smileyvery-happy:

I never do anything the EASY way.

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books