Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author REBECCA CANTRELL!

Thanks, Becke!

That short story, ON THE TRAIN, haunted me for years. I was glad to see it finally get into wider distribution, as the story of those two men was so vivid in my mind. The research for it was very intense, and I don't think I could ever write a novel with those characters, but I'm grateful that I could spend a few pages watching their lives unfold.

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cantrell wrote:

Thanks, Becke!

That short story, ON THE TRAIN, haunted me for years. I was glad to see it finally get into wider distribution, as the story of those two men was so vivid in my mind. The research for it was very intense, and I don't think I could ever write a novel with those characters, but I'm grateful that I could spend a few pages watching their lives unfold.

Rebecca

I've always loved short stories - especially in the mystery/suspense genre - and that anthology was really good. Yours was a standout - I think it worked better in a short story than it would have in a whole book, because the impact hit so hard. A lot of pages might have diluted it.

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

I love short stories too! I'm thinking I'm going to be writing more of them soon, just to get a little variety in while I work on the longer pieces. 

You may be right about the lenght of that story. It's a very intense moment and might not be able to expanded a great deal without losing its power.

I'm glad you liked it! There were some good stories in that collection. I found CJ Lyons's story to be especially creepy, and Grant McKenzie's to be ridiculous and fun, and Lee Child's made me think about the march of time and...well, you get the idea. :smileyhappy:

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cantrell wrote:

I love short stories too! I'm thinking I'm going to be writing more of them soon, just to get a little variety in while I work on the longer pieces. 

You may be right about the lenght of that story. It's a very intense moment and might not be able to expanded a great deal without losing its power.

I'm glad you liked it! There were some good stories in that collection. I found CJ Lyons's story to be especially creepy, and Grant McKenzie's to be ridiculous and fun, and Lee Child's made me think about the march of time and...well, you get the idea. :smileyhappy:

Rebecca

YES! I liked CJ's story, too! There were several I liked. 

What are you working on now - the next Hannah Vogel book, or a short story? Can you tell us what it's about or is it too soon to say?

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

I'm just finishing up Hannah Vogel #4: A CITY OF BROKEN GLASS. It's set during Kristalnacht, in November 1938. Hannah is pulled into Germany against her will, with Anton, and spends the rest of the book trying to solve a murder, find another missing child, and get out of Germany. Lots of research.

I'm also tinkering with a short story set in modern Alaska about a man who is said to be born with the ability to truly experience the emotions of those he loves. Not always a good thing. I hope to post that one up on Amazon soon. It's called "Caulbearer."

Plus IFRANKENSTEIN.

And a few other things that are too early to talk about.

I'm definitely staying busy!

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Welcome Rebecca, and thank you for coming to the Mystery Board.  The thought of these German novels is so intriguing, and a definite add to my huge TBR list!

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Thank you! With my own TBR list growing by leaps and bounds, I appreciate being added to your towering stack!

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cantrell wrote:

I'm just finishing up Hannah Vogel #4: A CITY OF BROKEN GLASS. It's set during Kristalnacht, in November 1938. Hannah is pulled into Germany against her will, with Anton, and spends the rest of the book trying to solve a murder, find another missing child, and get out of Germany. Lots of research.

I'm also tinkering with a short story set in modern Alaska about a man who is said to be born with the ability to truly experience the emotions of those he loves. Not always a good thing. I hope to post that one up on Amazon soon. It's called "Caulbearer."

Plus IFRANKENSTEIN.

And a few other things that are too early to talk about.

I'm definitely staying busy!

Wow - you have a lot going on!

I love author's "call" stories - would you share with us how you got the call about your first sale?

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Ah, The Call.

My agent, Elizabeth Evans, called early one morning to tell me that the book had sold. I had just gotten out of the shower (but was still wet, lucky thing my phone held up) and took the call. I had to dry off and call her back. I think there may have been much screaming and yelling and jumping up and down. Or so they tell me. I was in a daze. Still am, come to think of it.

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cantrell wrote:

Ah, The Call.

My agent, Elizabeth Evans, called early one morning to tell me that the book had sold. I had just gotten out of the shower (but was still wet, lucky thing my phone held up) and took the call. I had to dry off and call her back. I think there may have been much screaming and yelling and jumping up and down. Or so they tell me. I was in a daze. Still am, come to think of it.

*sigh* I love call stories!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rebecca - Will you be doing any Barnes & Noble book signings this summer?

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

I'm doing a very quick tour this year, and I don't have any Barnes & Noble signings scheduled. Hopefully next year! It's always fun to get a quick chai, browse around, and then head to the event room.

Thank you again very much for having me!

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Rebecca:

I love your Hannah Vogel series! I've read A TRACE OF SMOKE and A NIGHT OF LONG KNIVES and enjoyed them immensely! I have GAME OF LIES on order and can't wait to get my copy! I've been to Berlin and it really helps add to the feel of your books because some of the settings are familiar to me.

Hope you enjoy your visit with us! I'm glad to hear that at least a fourth Hannah Vogel book is also in the making! Thanks again for visiting with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cantrell wrote:

I'm doing a very quick tour this year, and I don't have any Barnes & Noble signings scheduled. Hopefully next year! It's always fun to get a quick chai, browse around, and then head to the event room.

Thank you again very much for having me!

Rebecca

Oh, another chai lover - my favorite!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rebecca - In the course of your research for your books, did you come across anything that surprised you, or that you hadn't read about before?

*FYI* I'm meeting my nieces for lunch downtown. I'll be back later!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Rebecca, welcome to the mystery Forum. Your books sound interesting and I will certainly check them out. Thanks for stopping by.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Awhile back I asked friends who attended the Reader Appreciation Day at the West Chester, Ohio Barnes & Noble to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors.

This is what they came up with (I've adapted the list a bit):

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What have you been reading lately?

3) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

4) If you were casting any of your books, who would you choose?

5) Are you a pantser or a plotter?

6) What were your favorite books when you were growing up?

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to report on my evening with Rebecca Cantrell.  If you ever have the chance to attend one of her events, DO!  She did a book signing tonight at the Bellevue (Washington) Public Library.  Started by introducing her books in the Hannah Vogel series and then reading several excerpts from her new book The Game of Lies.  The evening concluded with Q & A and book signing.  Lots of interesting questions about Rebecca's writing process, her research, covers and titles.  It sounds like her Young Adult book  iDrakula, written under the name of Bekka Black, will be the first book in the iMonsters series.  (Did I get that right?)

It was a very nice evening as Rebecca is a warm and entertaining speaker.  And she's so brave about Q & A, especially after the question she was asked at Berkley by one of the professors.  Thank you Rebecca for a great evening.

And thank you Becke for bringing her to us this week.

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that you like the Hannah Vogel series! Berlin was and remains an amazing place.

Hope your copy of A GAME OF LIES arrives soon!

Happy reading!

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

I have the cynical ability to be surprised by lots of things without being really shocked. Big research surprises: the size of the gay community in Weimar-era Germany (quite large), the fact that the newspapers couldn't even print the names of the dead after The Night of the Long Knives purge, and how well the German press treated Jesse Owens considering he was making a mockery of their racist philosophy in front of the entire world by winning gold medals right and left.

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books