Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author REBECCA CANTRELL!

Thank you!

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

6) What were your favorite books when you were growing up?

too many to list. 

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

visual, but I try to use as many as I can

2) What have you been reading lately?

Airline departure boards. Slaughterhouse Five. And this forum. 

3) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

Currently am loving Torchwood and the BBC new Sherlock Holmes

4) If you were casting any of your books, who would you choose?

Carice Van Houten for Hannah

5) Are you a pantser or a plotter?

Weird combo of both. I explained it here: http://www.timothyhallinan.com/blog/?p=1018

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Thank you, Nancy, for coming! It was a wonderful evening. Lots of great questions and fun back and forthing. 

And, yes, thank you, Becke, for having me here!

Signing off for tonight as it's past midnight and tomorrow I have another busy day (signing at noon at the Seattle Mystery Bookstore!).

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Cantrell, Rebecca, welcome. I find your books intriguing. I must check them out.

What do you like about writing mysteries?

Who is your favorite authors?

Welcome.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

harleyhoney wrote:

I just wanted to report on my evening with Rebecca Cantrell.  If you ever have the chance to attend one of her events, DO!  She did a book signing tonight at the Bellevue (Washington) Public Library.  Started by introducing her books in the Hannah Vogel series and then reading several excerpts from her new book The Game of Lies.  The evening concluded with Q & A and book signing.  Lots of interesting questions about Rebecca's writing process, her research, covers and titles.  It sounds like her Young Adult book  iDrakula, written under the name of Bekka Black, will be the first book in the iMonsters series.  (Did I get that right?)

It was a very nice evening as Rebecca is a warm and entertaining speaker.  And she's so brave about Q & A, especially after the question she was asked at Berkley by one of the professors.  Thank you Rebecca for a great evening.

And thank you Becke for bringing her to us this week.

Nancy

Nancy - I'm so jealous that you got to meet Rebecca! I've passed Game of Lies onto my son, who is eager to read it. I'm trying to hook him and his girlfriend on this series. They were both really interested when I described it.

Now you've intrigued me about the question Rebecca was asked at Berkeley by one of the professors. Is it something one of you would like to share with us?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cantrell wrote:

I have the cynical ability to be surprised by lots of things without being really shocked. Big research surprises: the size of the gay community in Weimar-era Germany (quite large), the fact that the newspapers couldn't even print the names of the dead after The Night of the Long Knives purge, and how well the German press treated Jesse Owens considering he was making a mockery of their racist philosophy in front of the entire world by winning gold medals right and left.

Rebecca

It's a weird coincidence that I read GAME OF LIES the same week that I (finally) read THE HELP. Both were suspenseful in part because I knew what was to come (in the big picture, if not in the books) and it made me soooo nervous for the characters! It also made me very glad I didn't live in Germany in the 1930s (I already knew I wouldn't have wanted to live there in the 1940s), or in the Deep South anytime prior to now. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cantrell wrote:

6) What were your favorite books when you were growing up?

too many to list. 

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

visual, but I try to use as many as I can

2) What have you been reading lately?

Airline departure boards. Slaughterhouse Five. And this forum. 

3) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

Currently am loving Torchwood and the BBC new Sherlock Holmes

4) If you were casting any of your books, who would you choose?

Carice Van Houten for Hannah

5) Are you a pantser or a plotter?

Weird combo of both. I explained it here: http://www.timothyhallinan.com/blog/?p=1018

Oh, I love Kurt Vonnegut! Slaughterhouse-Five was good, but my favorite is Sirens of Titan.

I like your taste in television shows!

Here are some images of Carice van Houten:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rebecca - Good luck with all your book signings!

One more question: What do you do when you Really Should Be Writing?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Hi Readingpatti!

Thanks for the questions.

Too many to list: love the Precious Ramotswe series, Laurie King, Rhys Bowen, Philip Kerr, Kelli Stanley, Jodi Picoult, Hemingway and Fitzgerald, Kurt Vonnegut...and more.

Seeing some kind of resolution. Even if justice isn't always done, it always matters.

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Becke,  I think your son and his girlfriend will really enjoy the series.  I took my non-reader husband with me to Rebecca's book signing and he really enjoyed it and HE is excited to read the books.

Nancy 

becke_davis wrote:

Nancy - I'm so jealous that you got to meet Rebecca! I've passed Game of Lies onto my son, who is eager to read it. I'm trying to hook him and his girlfriend on this series. They were both really interested when I described it.

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
becke_davis
0 Kudos

harleyhoney wrote:

Becke,  I think your son and his girlfriend will really enjoy the series.  I took my non-reader husband with me to Rebecca's book signing and he really enjoyed it and HE is excited to read the books.

Nancy 

becke_davis wrote:

My son and his girlfriend are both big readers - they like mysteries but aren't particularly hooked on the genre. I'm trying to change that!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cantrell wrote:

Hi Readingpatti!

Thanks for the questions.

Too many to list: love the Precious Ramotswe series, Laurie King, Rhys Bowen, Philip Kerr, Kelli Stanley, Jodi Picoult, Hemingway and Fitzgerald, Kurt Vonnegut...and more.

Seeing some kind of resolution. Even if justice isn't always done, it always matters.

Rebecca

I love your answer as to why you like writing mysteries. So true!

Have you ever seen the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency TV series? It's one of the very few series that lives up to the books, in my opinion. I wish they would have made a lot more episodes!

No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - Season 1  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rebecca - Will you be doing any book signings at conferences or libraries this year? I know our participants LOVE to meet authors in person!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for joining us, Rebecca! I hope you'll come back and visit again soon!

Author
Cantrell
0 Kudos

Becke,
I'm going to answer a bunch of questions in one post.

Thanks for posting the photos! Carice Van Houten is beautiful, isn't she?And she has the tough, yet vulnerable, aura that Hannah has too.

What do I do when I Really Should Be Writing? Promotion, sadly. And watching movies with my son.We've seen most everything that's G or PG that's hit the big screen since he was 5 or so. Today: the final Harry Potter!I've read him the entire series aloud twice (takes six months, if you're curious), so we know what happens, but I still want to see it!

Best of luck getting your son and his girlfriend hooked on mysteries! It's a great genre!

Loved the #1 Ladies TV show. Beautifully done. The actress was perfect and the cinematography of the scenes set in Africa was simply stunning.

I'm done with the tour for the year, I think, although I do skype book club events and I'm going to the Tucson Festival of the Book next March.Other than that, I don't really know. I always love hearing from and meeting readers!

Thank you again very much for having me!

Happy reading!

Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell
"A City of Broken Glass"
July 2012, Forge Books
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cantrell wrote:

Becke,
I'm going to answer a bunch of questions in one post.

Thanks for posting the photos! Carice Van Houten is beautiful, isn't she?And she has the tough, yet vulnerable, aura that Hannah has too.

I wasn't familiar with her, but now that I've seen her pictures I think she'd be great to play Hannah!

What do I do when I Really Should Be Writing? Promotion, sadly.

I wonder how authors from the past would feel about the amount of promotion required of today's authors?

And watching movies with my son.We've seen most everything that's G or PG that's hit the big screen since he was 5 or so. Today: the final Harry Potter!I've read him the entire series aloud twice (takes six months, if you're curious), so we know what happens, but I still want to see it!

I just got back from Chicago last night, and the first thing we did was go see a late show of Harry Potter. My son, daughter and I have read all the books. My husband hasn't read them but he still likes the movies.

Best of luck getting your son and his girlfriend hooked on mysteries! It's a great genre!

I'm working on it!

Loved the #1 Ladies TV show. Beautifully done. The actress was perfect and the cinematography of the scenes set in Africa was simply stunning.

One of the stars went on to do the voice of the Princess in THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG. Jill Scott, the actress who played Mma Ramotswe, doesn't look the part anymore:

Jill Scott on losing 50 pounds: I'm in a good place

I'm done with the tour for the year, I think, although I do skype book club events and I'm going to the Tucson Festival of the Book next March.Other than that, I don't really know. I always love hearing from and meeting readers!

Thank you again very much for having me!

Happy reading!

Rebecca

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks again, Rebecca!

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Rebecca

I guess I am joining this party just in time to say ya'll come back now.  But, in my case it will be a welcome.  This week has be H-E double toothpicks and I finally have me-time.  I apologize that I haven't read your books yet but trying to keep up with the evergrowing TBR pile has taken on ominous tones.  Best wishes with your future writings

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Rebecca:

I am half-way through 

A Game of Lies 

and I am loving this book. The series gets better and better!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt