Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Authorrhysbowen
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author RHYS BOWEN!

Wow, Becke--I've never had a welcome like this before. I feel like the queen! And Merry christmas in Welsh too. Diolch yn fawr, which means thank you!

Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas celebration.

I'm about to start baking.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Authorrhysbowen wrote:

Wow, Becke--I've never had a welcome like this before. I feel like the queen! And Merry christmas in Welsh too. Diolch yn fawr, which means thank you!

Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas celebration.

I'm about to start baking.

Welcome, Rhys! I really appreciate you joining us, especially since I'm sure you're very busy with Christmas preparations. Are you baking anything traditionally English - or Welsh? My husband always wants mince pies for Christmas (he grew up in London). 

I love Wales! When we lived in England many years ago, we spent most of our holidays exploring Wales. I love the soft sound of the Welsh language - it's a beautiful country, too!

It's funny, when I was reading THE TWELVE CLUES OF CHRISTMAS I marked a few pages where I had questions. Then when I reached the end of the book, I had a nice surprise - you beat me to the punch and answered them all for me! I was interested the old game called "the minister's cat" - thanks for the explanation!

Also, I'd never heard of a "snow house" - what a lovely idea! I notice you discussed this at Jungle Red, too:

http://www.jungleredwriters.com/2012/11/rhys-bowen-serves-up-twelve-clues-of.html

I tried to find a picture of one. I don't think these are quite what you described, but it as as close as I could get:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Royal Spyness Series #6)  

Is anyone else having this problem? I had to go in and edit this because it posted without my text. This has happened to me a lot lately.

Anyway, what I WANTED to say is that my mom will love this book, but she'll also really love the section at the back with recipes and the descriptions of games, etc.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Merry Christmas, Rhys! Do you have anything special planned for tomorrow?

I hope you're not on a deadline. What are you working on now?

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Rhys!

Recently read The Twelve Clues of Christmas and enjoyed it very much. I would have to say that it was a very clever book. I haven't read any of your other books but I do have a lot of them and I am looking forward to reading them after enjoying The Twelve Clues of Christmas so much!

Have a great visit and a very Merry Christmas!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Santa's on his way... (or should I say Father Christmas is on his way?)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's after midnight here - MERRY CHRISTMAS!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
Authorrhysbowen
0 Kudos

Snow houses used to be a cardboard old fashioned cottage with the roof decorated with cotton snow. Inside were all kinds of small presents. I think they still make snow toys but more in the shape of cars, space ships etc.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Authorrhysbowen wrote:

Snow houses used to be a cardboard old fashioned cottage with the roof decorated with cotton snow. Inside were all kinds of small presents. I think they still make snow toys but more in the shape of cars, space ships etc.

Thank you! I can picture one like a space ship - how cute!

I hope you've all had a wonderful Christmas day! Marty and I headed out to the suburbs and had a jolly Christmas with my parents, my sister, three of my nieces and their families. We did Facetime with my daughter but when we tried to talk to my son and his family (who are in Portland for the holidays) my grandbaby was still asleep. (It's a couple hours earlier there.)

What did you do today? By the way, it was snowing when we left this morning, and there was a lot of fog rolling in off Lake Michigan. The fog cleared and the snow stopped as we drove to the suburbs, but they still had some snow on the ground from a few days ago.

By the time we got home, the snow here had stopped and melted, although I don't know how it melted since the temperature dropped a lot. It's COLD here now and I hear we may get a lot of snow tomorrow. Brrrrr!!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rhys - Does your family have any English traditions you carry on here? We always try to get Christmas crackers - we used to have to order them from Harrods, but now they're getting easier to find here.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Historians say the holiday developed because servants were required to work onChristmas Day, but took the following day off. As servants prepared to leave to visit their families, their employers would present them with gift boxes.

Read more here: http://www.factmonster.com/spot/boxingday1.html

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Rhys and thank you for spending the holidays with us.  I really like books that offer recipes, crafty patterns, etc along with a little mystery wrapped up within the pages.  I look forward to experiencing your books. 

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

Welcome Rhys and thank you for spending the holidays with us.  I really like books that offer recipes, crafty patterns, etc along with a little mystery wrapped up within the pages.  I look forward to experiencing your books. 

J

The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Royal Spyness Series #6)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Grrr - the site keeps eating my responses! What I TRIED to say in the last post is that Rhys' new book has some recipes at the back. Enjoy!

Author
Authorrhysbowen
0 Kudos

We still have lots of English traditions. Crackers, Christmas pudding, mince pies, playing charades, wearing silly paper hats....

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Authorrhysbowen wrote:

We still have lots of English traditions. Crackers, Christmas pudding, mince pies, playing charades, wearing silly paper hats....

I saw a play about a week ago that reminded me of an English holiday panto - really fun! I saw it with a friend - I liked it so much I want to go again with my husband!

http://www.chicagoshakes.com/main.taf?p=2,82

http://chicagoist.com/2012/12/21/the_school_for_lies_puts_the_spin_o.php

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/16936983-421/school-for-lies-a-brilliantly-dazzling-homage-to-...

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Rhys, I did get The Twelve Clues of Christmas as a present and I'm enjoying very much. I love English countryside mysteries.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Rhys, I did get The Twelve Clues of Christmas as a present and I'm enjoying very much. I love English countryside mysteries.

Yay! What a great gift!