becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author RICK MOFINA!

Congratulations on being #4 in Canada! I see your books everywhere, so I'm sure your U.S. sales are climbing all the time, too.

I'm always curious about the writing process. Do you plot your stories every step of the way, or do you write from the seat of your pants?

Author
Rick_MofinaRM
0 Kudos

I have always used a general outline, that’s just my process. But things change on the journey. It’s like this for me, an outline is a road map, you know you want to go from A to B and you have some notes on what you want to do in between. The actual writing is the trip and to pervert T.S. Eliot, between the idea and the reality, emerges the book.

Author
Rick_MofinaRM
0 Kudos

On the new book, Jack Gannon #3. It is called IN DESPERATION.

The story is ripped from the headlines, so this one is really grounded in what is happening today.

There is a bit of a teaser at the back of THE PANIC ZONE.

All of my books can be read invidually but purists prefer to read in order.

So, on the Jack Gannon series, whereby book #1 was chosen by the International Thriller Writers to be a finalist for Best Paperback Original (did not win :smileyhappy: here is the list.

1. VENGEANCE ROAD (Sept 09 release)

2. THE PANIC ZONE (July 10 release)

3. IN DESPERATION (Spring 11 release)

4. In development (Winter 12 release)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rick - I'm in Chicago with my daughter (I live in Cincinnati, she lives in Florida) so we're going to head out and do some shopping and sightseeing shortly. I'll be back to chat more later, and hopefully you'll hear from others while I'm away from the computer.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with a few questions to answer at your leisure:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

3) What were your favorite books as a child/teenager? Did any of these influence your decision to become a mystery author?

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

6) Did you know you were going to be writing a series when you wrote Vengeance Road? Do you have a specific number of books in mind for this series, or will you keep writing as long as readers want more?

Sorry to leave you like this, but I'm sure our regulars will have questions, too. This isn't live, so feel free to check back later to respond to questions and comments. I'll join you again this afternoon!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Rick:

I just read your new book THE PANIC ZONE over the weekend. It was awesome! So fast-paced that I couldn't put it down. It was like a trip around the world visiting all those places. I love your Jack Gannon character. I didn't feel one bit lost since I didn't read VENGEANCE ROAD first. It is a true stand alone novel. Hope Jack finds his sister soon. I really felt Jack's pain whenever he would think about her. Talking of pain, I could also feel Emma's in regards to her baby. Don't wait to mention any spoilers, so I'll just be specific.

Did you actually have to visit all the places mentioned in the novel or did you just do research? It seemed as though you may have visited because you gave such specific details. I know you were a reporter and had to travel alot. So, possibly, you visited them as a reporter. Hopefully, you didn't run into the same problems Jack did while visiting some of the places.

I will definitely check out VENGEANCE ROAD and IN DESPERATION. I feel a need to check out some more of Jack's adventures!

Thanks for visiting with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Rick_MofinaRM
0 Kudos

Hi Eadie:
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I am so glad that you enjoyed THE PANIC ZONE.

I am delighted that the characters came to life for you. On the matter of Jack's sister, you are on the right track. As for the travel, I did in fact visit about 60-70 per cent of the places mentioned in THE PANIC ZONE, mostly during my time as a reporter.

I have reported from the Caribbean, Africa, etc. I did get into some challenging situations but admittedly nothing came close to what Jack Gannon faces. I just take something I experienced to the nth degree and dramatize things, thats the fun part about fiction.

Moreover, I strive to ensure the reader wants to keep turning the page and enjoys the ride.

If you like Jack Gannon, you may like is brothers in crime, as it were, Tom Reed with the San Francisco Star, in my first 5-book series,  and my trilogy featuring Jason Wade, the rookie reporter with the Seattle Mirror. Check out my website for details or look on BN.

Most of my backlist books can be ordered online.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, welcome to the mystery thread. I've never read any of your books but Becke's description of them makes me want to go to a bookstore and pick a couple of your books.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
Rick_MofinaRM
0 Kudos

Thank you for the very warm welcome.

I would be honored if you considered one of my books.

If you go to my web page www.rickmofina.com and go to the BOOKS button - you can shop around there, get a little summary and some times a sampling on what the books are about.

If Angels Fall is my first book, so start at the bottom and go up. They've all essentially - with the exception of large print and a book club special hardcover - they're all paperback originals.

All of them should be available through an online order, but not all are in an e-book format. The new ones are.

Let me know how things go.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Rick_MofinaRM wrote:

Hi Eadie:

I am delighted that the characters came to life for you. On the matter of Jack's sister, you are on the right track. As for the travel, I did in fact visit about 60-70 per cent of the places mentioned in THE PANIC ZONE, mostly during my time as a reporter.

I have reported from the Caribbean, Africa, etc. I did get into some challenging situations but admittedly nothing came close to what Jack Gannon faces. I just take something I experienced to the nth degree and dramatize things, thats the fun part about fiction.

Moreover, I strive to ensure the reader wants to keep turning the page and enjoys the ride.

If you like Jack Gannon, you may like is brothers in crime, as it were, Tom Reed with the San Francisco Star, in my first 5-book series,  and my trilogy featuring Jason Wade, the rookie reporter with the Seattle Mirror. Check out my website for details or look on BN.

I will definitely check out your characters, Tom Reed and Jason Wade! Thanks for the tip and keep on writing! Seems a lot safer then your reporter job!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Rick_MofinaRM wrote:

Becke:

I am just starting to come out now in other countries, so far the count is 15 or 16 countries.

This month alone I will be published in The Netherlands, Finland and Sweden, I believe.

I do love it.

My books do well in Norway, things are looking promising in Germany and I have some very excellent responses from Australia and New Zealand.

I do quite well in Canada where THE PANIC ZONE is number 4 on the national best seller list and my base continues to grow in the USA. I recently did 22 radio interviews across the USA from the offices of  a Manhattan PR firm to help promote THE PANIC ZONE. That was a blast. I had a lot of fun.

That's a lot of countries, cool.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rick_MofinaRM wrote:

Hi Eadie:

Rick - I posted links to a lot of your books at the beginning of this thread. Did I miss any?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Vengeance Road 

Here are links to Rick's ebooks at B&N:

The Panic Zone

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rick - My dad benefits whenever I find a new author I like. He's now working his way through your books, a bit slower than usual because he's getting cataract surgery this week.

What authors do you read for relaxation? Other mystery writers, or is that too much like work?

Author
Rick_MofinaRM
0 Kudos

I don;t usually have too much time to read other than for research but when I can I buffet read sampling as much as I can, including going back to classics.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What's on your agenda for the future? Do you plan to continue this series or go in a different direction? 

Will you be attending any conferences or events where our participants might be able to meet you?

Author
Rick_MofinaRM
0 Kudos

There will be another Jack Gannon book - #4 in the series then perhaps another standalone.

As for conferences, I am down to attend Bouchercon in San Francisco in October and RT Booklovers Convention in Los Angeles in April.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rick_MofinaRM wrote:

There will be another Jack Gannon book - #4 in the series then perhaps another standalone.

As for conferences, I am down to attend Bouchercon in San Francisco in October and RT Booklovers Convention in Los Angeles in April.

Rats - I hit both of those this year, but I'm looking to try a few others next year. I missed RWA National this year, but I'll be in NYC for that one in 2011. Also in 2011, I'm considering either Thrillerfest or Malice Domestic - it's easier for me to get the the East Coast than the West.

Maybe some of our regulars will make it to the book signings at these events, though!

Author
Rick_MofinaRM
0 Kudos

Becke & Everyone:

Thank you so much for letting me participate in the BN Mystery Book Club.

It was an honor and fun.

All the best and good night,

Rick Mofina

Contributor
Linwrage
0 Kudos

Rick, I bought your newest book, The Panic Zone. I had recently gotten a Nook e-reader and was able to read a bit of the book at the B&N store before I decided to buy it. It looks fascinating! One of the reasons I decided on that particular one was the great reviews it received from several websites. I love a good page-turner!

I'm a new user of the B&N message boards and was intrigued by the great selection of authors that were scheduled to be featured on the Mystery Board this month. It's been a long time since I read any mystery or thriller books. I've been reading mostly science fiction lately. I wanted to broaden my horizens a bit and read books by some new authors. I thought I would jump in by reading a book by our first featured author of the month. Looking forward to really getting into this one.

Linda W.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Linda! Thanks for joining us - you picked a great month, since we'll have a different author visiting every day (not counting weekends).

Scroll through the threads to see what's been happening here lately. We also have an off-topic thread where we've created a virtual get-away called Mimosa Island. All you need is a good imagination to join the fun!

I'm sure Rick will be very happy you've chosen one of his books to bring you back to the mystery genre. I hope you'll be back for many more!