becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author RICK MOFINA!

I'm excited to introduce RICK MOFINA, who I met at the Romantic Times book signing a few months ago. I knew Rick would fit right in here, and I invited him to kick off our Month of Suspense and Thrillers. Please give Rick a big B&N welcome!

The Panic Zone

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author RICK MOFINA!

The Panic Zone 

A CAR CRASHES IN WYOMING . . .

A young mother is thrown clear of the devastating car crash. Dazed, she sees a figure pull her infant son from the flames. Or does she? The police believe it’s a case of trauma playing cruel tricks on the mind, until the night the grief-stricken woman hears a voice through the phone, “Your baby is alive.”

A BOMB EXPLODES IN A RIO DE JANEIRO CAFE . . .

The heinous act kills ten people including two journalists with the World Press Alliance news agency. Jack Gannon’s first international assignment is to find out whether his colleagues were innocent victims or targets who got too close to a huge story.

A CARIBBEAN CRUISE ENDS IN HORROR . . .

Doctors are desperate to identify the mysterious cause of a cruise ship passenger’s agonizing death. They turn to the world’s top scientists who determine that someone has resurrected their long-buried secret research. Research that is now being used as a deadly weapon. With millions of lives at stake, experts work frantically against time. And as an anguished mother searches for her child and Jack Gannon pursues the truth, an unstoppable force hurls them all into the panic zone.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Vengeance Road

The murder of a broken-hearted woman and and the chilling disappearance of her friend raise questions about their ties to a respected detective and lead to one journalist’s obsession to find the truth!

The body of Bernice Hogan, a troubled young ex-nursing student with a tragic past, is found in a shallow grave near a forest creek.

Jolene Peller, a single mom struggling to build a new life with her little boy, vanishes the night she tried to find Bernice. Hero cop, Karl Styebeck is beloved by his community but privately police are uneasy with the answers he gives to protect the life — and the lie — he’s lived.

The case haunts Jack Gannon a gritty, blue-collar reporter whose sister run away from their family years ago. Gannon risks more than his job to pursue the story behind Styebeck’s dark secret, his link to the women, and the mysterious big rig roaming America’s loneliest highways on its descent into eternal darkness.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Six Seconds 

A California mother’s anguished search for her abducted son and a detective’s investigation into an American reporter’s strange death in the Canadian Rockies, lead them to uncover a global plot to assassinate a world leader – using the California boy as the weapon.

EXCERPT:

To locals, the Star-Journal was an eyesore in need of last rites.

To Maggie Conlin it was a last chance to find her son.

It had been five months since Jake vanished with Logan.

The day after it happened the county had dispatched a deputy to check her house for foul play before sending Maggie to Vic Thompson, a grumpy, overworked detective. He said Jake had ten days from the date of Maggie’s complaint to give the D.A. an address, a number and to start custody proceedings.

When that didn’t happen, the county issued a warrant for Jake’s arrest for parental abduction. Maggie gave Thompson all their bank, credit card, phone, computer, school and medical records.

He told her to get an attorney.

Trisha Helm, the cheapest available lawyer Maggie could find, “first visit is free,” advised her to start divorce action and claim custody.

“I don’t want a divorce. I need to find Jake and talk to him.”

In that case, Trisha suggested Maggie hire a private detective and steered her to Lyle Billings, a P.I. at Farrow Investigations. Maggie gave Billings copies of all their personal records and a check. Two weeks later, he told her that Jake had not renewed his license in any U.S. state, Canadian province or territory, nor was Logan registered in any school system.

“Assume he changed their names,” Billings said. “Creating a new identity is easier than most people think.”

The agency needed more money to continue searching. Maggie couldn’t afford it so she searched on her own, spending most nights on her computer. She’d contacted truckers’ groups and missing kids organizations, pleading to newsletters and blogs.

She scoured news sites for crashes involving rigs and boys Logan’s age.

With each new tragedy Maggie’s stomach knotted. Maggie attended support groups. They told her to get the press interested in her struggle to find Jake and Logan. Every few days, then every week, she worked her list: the Los Angeles Times, the Orange County Register, the Riverside Press-Enterprise, nearly every TV and radio station in the southland.

Every news person had stopped taking her calls, except Stacy Kurtz, the Star-Journal’s crime reporter.

At least Stacy would listen. Maggie had never met her but sometimes her picture ran with her articles. Stacy wore dark framed glasses, hoop earrings and a smile that her job was slowly hardening. Her daily reporting of the latest shooting, fire, drowning, car crash or variant urban tragedy, taking something from her. Some days, she looked older than she was.

“I can’t guarantee we’ll do a story, but I’ll listen as long as you keep me posted on any developments,” Stacy’s to-the-point manner placed a premium on her time in a business ruled by deadlines.

For Maggie, time was evaporating.

What if she never found Logan? Never saw him again?

Day by day, her hope faded like the flag over the Star-Journal where she’d come this morning with nothing but a prayer.

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Murder in Vegas 

Blood On The Holly Go For Broke

As Long As We Both Shall Live

A Lifetime Burning in a Moment

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mystery Scene: Read Rick’s essay on the moment that inspired The Dying Hour! (PDF file)

Crime Fiction & Seeds of Truth: Rick discusses the elements of crafting a story and the link between real life and a good story.

Books ‘n’ Bytes Author Interview: Rick discusses his background as a journalist, his dive into the world of writing books, and even a sneak peak into his ‘fridge. Check it out!

Booked.tv Author Chat: Rick hits on his greatest vice and what he’d be doing if not writing books. Oh, and talks a little about his books, too.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rick Mofina, who has won several of his country’s top awards, might just be the next Peter Robinson-type international breakout.”

Dick Adler, Chicago Tribune

“One of the leading thriller writers of the day.”

Penthouse Magazine

Rick Mofina

Rick Mofina grew up east of Toronto, in Belleville, Ontario, Canada. He began writing fiction in grade school. At age 15, he sold his first short story to a U.S. magazine. In his teens he hitchhiked to California and wrote a novel about the experience. He has held jobs ranging from working at a horseracing track to delivering cars to Florida, before he attended Carleton University where he studied Journalism, English Literature, and American Detective Fiction.

He was a summer student rookie reporter at The Toronto Star, the same paper that once employed Ernest Hemingway, before embarking on a career in journalism that spanned three decades and several newsrooms. His freelance crime stories have appeared around the world in such publications as The New York Times, Reader’s Digest, Marie Claire, The South China Morning Post magazine and The Moscow Times. He’s also written for the UK’s Sunday Telegraph.

His reporting has put him face-to-face with murderers on death row in Montana and Texas. He covered a horrific serial killing case in California, an armored car heist in Las Vegas, the murders of police officers in Alberta, flown over Los Angeles with the LAPD, and gone on patrol with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police near the Arctic. He has reported from the Caribbean, Africa and the Middle East.

His first published novel, IF ANGELS FALL, introduced San Francisco Star crime reporter Tom Reed and San Francisco Homicide Inspector Walt Sydowski. It was a Best First Novel finalist for an Arthur Ellis Award from the Crime Writers of Canada. His second Reed-Sydowski book is COLD FEAR. With that book, Quill & Quire said Rick, “positions himself high in the suspense genre saddle.”

It was followed by BLOOD OF OTHERS, which #1 New York Times bestselling author James Patterson praised as, “tense, realistic, and scary in all the right places.” The Ottawa Citizen described Rick as “a writer clearly destined for literary stardom,” while Penthouse said he was, “one of the leading thriller writers of the day.” The Globe & Mail said Rick was becoming one of Canada’s favourite crime writers. BLOOD OF OTHERS won the Arthur Ellis Award for Best Novel in 2003.

NO WAY BACK, the fourth Reed-Sydowski book, was released in 2003 and praised by Michael Connelly as being, “My kind of novel — a tough, taut thriller.” It was followed in 2004 by, BE MINE, the fifth in the series. Dean Koontz said, Rick was writing, “A fine series of thrillers to which Be Mine is a great addition: swiftly paced, entertaining, with authentic details of police procedure.”

After five books — and movie options on IF ANGELS FALL and COLD FEAR, which have since expired — the Reed-Sydowski series went on hiatus and Rick launched a new series featuring Jason Wade, a rookie crime reporter based in Seattle, for that book he drew upon his own experiences at The Toronto Star and later, The Calgary Herald.

The series debuted in the summer of 2005, with, THE DYING HOUR, which climbed to #7 on Canada’s best seller list (Quill & Quire) and hit #1 among Wal-mart Canada’s best sellers. Sandra Brown, an acclaimed international best-selling author, told Rick that she loved THE DYING HOUR. “It starts scary and ends scary.”

The second book in the Jason Wade series is EVERY FEAR, which features a story that “Pushes crackling suspense to the breaking point and beyond,” according to New York Times bestselling author Kay Hooper. Rick’s third Jason Wade book is A PERFECT GRAVE, which New York Times bestselling author Tess Gerritsen called, “A lightning-paced thriller with lean, tense writing.”

Rick followed A PERFECT GRAVE with his first standalone book, the global thriller, SIX SECONDS. For that book, Rick drew heavily on his international assignments as a newspaper reporter and his time as a wire service reporter. SIX SECONDS became a bestseller in the U.S., the UK and Canada, and has drawn praise from around the world. It will soon be published in 12 countries and 7 languages, including German, Danish, Finnish and Polish.

After SIX SECONDS, Rick launched a new series featuring crime reporter Jack Gannon, who is introduced in VENGEANCE ROAD. Jack Gannon will return in mid-2010 with the release of THE PANIC ZONE.

The popularity of Rick’s stories continues to grow. Throughout the United Kingdom and across Australia and New Zealand and other parts of the world, readers are being introduced first-hand to the Jason Wade “trilogy” with release of THE DYING HOUR, EVERY FEAR, and A PERFECT GRAVE in those parts of the world. In Norway, where all of Rick’s books are bestsellers, his Norwegian publisher is planning to re-introduce the first two books of the Tom Reed-Walt Sydowski series, If ANGELS FALL and COLD FEAR, in a combined special edition.

Rick is currently writing more books.

As a member of the Mystery Writers of America, the International Thriller Writers, the International Crime Writers Association, the Crime Writers Association and Crime Writers of Canada, Rick, continues to be a featured panelist at mystery conferences across the United States and Canada. He enjoys receiving reader feedback — which has come from all around the world, including readers in Australia, Hong Kong, Korea, Norway, Iceland, South Africa, Brazil, Bermuda, the United States and of course, Canada. Rick updates diehard fans who want the latest news on his work by subscribing to his informal newsletter.

Rick is currently based in Ottawa, where he lives with his wife and their two children and works as a communications advisor.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

HI! Thanks for joining us.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

From Rick's website

VENGEANCE ROAD has been named a FINALIST for a THRILLER AWARD for BEST PAPERBACK ORIGINAL by the INTERNATIONAL THRILLER WRITERS.

My short story, “Back Up” has been named a FINALIST for a THRILLER AWARD for BEST SHORT STORY by the INTERNATIONAL THRILLER WRITERS. Winners to be announced July 10 at the ITW awards banquet in New York City.

Rick is on Facebook, and again here.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome RICK MOFINA!!

Rick - congratulations on your new release! Will you be doing any Barnes & Noble book signings this summer?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Please welcome RICK MOFINA!!

Rick - congratulations on your new release! Will you be doing any Barnes & Noble book signings this summer?

Ditto!
A communications advisor, eh? :smileywink: Could you let us know if your work has had any influence on the plot lines of your books?
Anyway, I'd like to echo becke again and bid you a most warm welcome!
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
Rick_MofinaRM
0 Kudos

Becke - everyone thank you for inviting me to launch thriller month. It is such an honor to participate. As a first-timer I hope you will be patient with me.

As for BN signings - we're always working on something. I was recently in NYC twice for book events and may return in a few weeks for researdh.

Most of my story ideas come from my years as a crime reporter.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Rick! I meant to post a Canadian flag as part of your welcome - sorry it's late! I've put in a request for an "author" tag for you, so that should show up soon.

Are you in Ottowa now, or are you on a book tour?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rick - your bio mentions the popularity of your books in other countries. When I searched YouTube for video clips, I noticed several interviews with you in foreign languages. Do you know how many languages your books have been translated into, or how many countries they are published in? That fascinates me!

Author
Rick_MofinaRM
0 Kudos

Hi Becke:

I am in Ottawa now, in my home office, enjoying a warm, quiet summer day while drafting the outlne for the fourth book in my Jack Gannon series.

Author
Rick_MofinaRM
0 Kudos

Becke:

I am just starting to come out now in other countries, so far the count is 15 or 16 countries.

This month alone I will be published in The Netherlands, Finland and Sweden, I believe.

I do love it.

My books do well in Norway, things are looking promising in Germany and I have some very excellent responses from Australia and New Zealand.

I do quite well in Canada where THE PANIC ZONE is number 4 on the national best seller list and my base continues to grow in the USA. I recently did 22 radio interviews across the USA from the offices of  a Manhattan PR firm to help promote THE PANIC ZONE. That was a blast. I had a lot of fun.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rick_MofinaRM wrote:

Hi Becke:

I am in Ottawa now, in my home office, enjoying a warm, quiet summer day while drafting the outlne for the fourth book in my Jack Gannon series.

Can you give us any hints about the new book, or is it too early in the process? Do you have a title yet?