Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Author ROBERT BROWNE!

Please welcome featured author ROBERT BROWNE!

Some of you may know Rob by the name ROBERT GREGORY BROWNE, which was the name on his book covers the last time he hung out with us

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-welcome-Author-ROBERT-GREGORY-BROWNE/m-p/63267...

His website is here: http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com/

You can follow Rob on Facebook here: 

https://www.facebook.com/robertgregorybrowne

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author ROBERT BROWNE!

ABOUT ROB

Robert Browne is an AMPAS Nicholl Award-winning screenwriter who ran screaming from the movie industry and jumped into writing novels.

His first novel, KISS HER GOODBYE, was recently produced in Chicago as a pilot for a CBS Television series tentatively titled THE LINE, by Sony Pictures and Timberman/Beverly Productions, with a script written and directed by Michael Dinner.

Before the jump, he developed screenplays for Showtime, Viacom, Saban/Fox Kids, Krost-Chapin, and Marvel. He was also staff writer for Fox Kids’ Diabolik, and a contributing screenwriter for Spider-Man Unlimited.

Post jump, Rob has written four thrillers for St. Martin’s Press in the U.S., Macmillan in the UK, Droemer Knauer in Germany, with books also published in Russia, Bulgaria and the Netherlands.

His books KISS HER GOODBYE (2007) and WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008 UK/2009 US), are critically acclaimed. Bookfinds.com proclaimed, “This is a writer whose name will soon be a household word” and Publisher’s Weekly gave WHISPER IN THE DARK a starred review: “The deeply satisfying story moves at a furious pace, packed with unexpected and original clues and plot twists.”

His third novel, KILL HER AGAIN, was released by Macmillan UK in May of 2009 and July in the U.S.

DOWN AMONG THE DEAD MEN was released in May, 2010 and has been nominated for a 2011 ITW Thriller Award.  Winner to be announced.

His short story, BOTTOM DEAL, can be found in Lee Child’s KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For, which was released in the U.S. by St. Martin’s and in the UK by Mira. The story has been optioned for television.

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

FAQ

I get email. People ask questions. Here are some of the answers.

Will there be a sequel to KISS HER GOODBYE?

It’s true that Kiss Her Goodbye is just begging for a sequel.  I’ve gotten a number of emails asking me to write one, and I haven’t completely ruled it out.  There’s a scenario that keeps running through my head that may have to be written one day, but I’m not sure when that will happen.  Who knows?  Maybe soon.

Are you planning to write a series?

My first four books are standalones, but the lastest one, THE PARADISE PROPHECY, is the first in a new series.  I know I’ve said in the past that I’m reluctant to do continuing characters, but I really fell in love with Bernadette and Batty and want to see them in action again.

Why do you have bad language in your books?

People aren’t always polite and not all of my bad guys are pretty.  They have dark thoughts, they do terrible stuff.  Even though I’m writing fiction, I want my books to reflect reality as much as possible.  If you’re uncomfortable with strong language, suspenseful situations, sexual encounters or acts of violence, you’d best shop elsewhere.  But PLEASE KNOW that I’m a strong believer that such things should NEVER BE GRATUITOUS.  If they don’t fit the storyline, they don’t go into the book.

Where do you get your ideas?

FYI, this is probably the most asked question of writers, and the answer varies from writer to writer.  I get ideas from watching news shows, reading books, newspapers, browsing the Internet, etc.  Most of the ideas pop into my head as fragments that eventually work themselves into something whole.  Once they take enough form to get me excited, then I start seriously thinking about writing a book.

Will you read my manuscript?

Truth is, I barely have time to work on my own manuscripts, let alone read anyone else’s.  And my lawyer would surely tell me not to read work by people I don’t know, for fear of lawsuits.   I can’t count the number of times I’ve independently come up with a premise that was eerily similar to another writer’s.    This happens all the time.    Those of us who have been around for awhile are used to it.  But aspiring writers tend to be very protective of their ideas, so it’s best that I not read your work so that there’s no confusion about where my OWN ideas came from.

But if you won’t read my book, who will?

My advice to any aspiring novelist is to start going to writing conferences where you can a) meet a ton of writers, some of whom might read your book once they’ve gotten to know you; b) meet a ton of agents, who are often looking for new clients; c) meet a lot of aspiring writers like yourself, who may help you out once they find their own agent or publishing deal; and d) meet the editors and publishers themselves.  In other words, it’s all about networking.  This business, like any other, runs on relationships.  And the more you hang around writers and editors and agents, the better chances you’ll have of getting your book read.  I’ve seen it happen over and over again.

Do you outline your stories?

That depends on the book.  Usually, once I come up with a premise and a few characters, I start writing.  When you’re on pages 25, you know as much about what’s going to happen as I did when I was writing it.  I figure if I can surprise myself, then you’ll be surprised, too.  I’m basically reading to myself.  There are times, however, that I have a short deadline and have to write fast, so I need to have a good idea of where I’m heading.  All the difficult plotting has been worked out, so I can fly through the writing of the book.  I don’t always stick closely to that map, but it’s nice to have in case I get lost.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Paradise Prophecy by Robert Browne: NOOK Book Cover

The Paradise Prophecy  

A spectacular thriller inspired by John Milton's Paradise Lost in which the final chapter of the War in Heaven is about to play out on Earth, with the fate of humanity hanging in the balance.

The Myth

When God cast the archangel Satan into Hell, ending the War in Heaven, peace prevailed on Earth. Until the fallen angels took revenge in the Garden of Eden. Ever since, mankind has been in a struggle between good and evil, paradise and apocalypse: the fall of Rome, The Crusades, World Wars, nuclear proliferation, the Middle East Crisis... The War in Heaven never really ended-it just changed venues. For millennia, God's angels have been fighting Satan's demons on Earth, all in hopes of bringing about Satan's greatest ambition, the Apocalypse.

The Reality

Satan has never been closer to his goal than right now.

Agent Bernadette Callahan is a talented investigator at a shadowy government organization known only as Section, on the trail of a serial killer with nearly supernatural abilities. Sebastian "Batty" LaLaurie is a religious historian who knows far too much about the other side- and that hard-earned knowledge is exactly what Callahan needs. This unlikely duo pair up for a race across the globe, decoding clues left in ancient texts from the Bible to Paradise Lost and beyond. In the process they stumble upon a vast conspiracy-one beyond the scope of mankind's darkest imagination.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome ROB BROWNE!

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Robert

The Paradise Prophecy really really looks intriguing.  I look forward to adding this book to my pile of books to be read.

From your website:

Regarding authors:

"There was a mystique there that made them much more interesting to me. I didn’t want them to be like my next door neighbor. I wanted to imagine them having wild adventures and writing about it.

That kind of mystique is gone with the Internet and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad one."

For me:  I don't care whether an author has a facebook page, tweets, wears one blue sock and one polka-dot, etc.  I like authors to write...to take my imagination for a ride...make me ponder...make me dream.

Keep up the writing

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Author
Robert_Browne
0 Kudos

Thanks, J.  Don't worry, the writing continues.  I'm lost if I'm not working on a book.  :smileywink:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome to our forum, Robert. Your book, The Paradise Prophecy, looks very interesting. I'm an English teacher, and John Milton is one of my favorite poets. Did you read or re-read his poem, ":smileytongue:aradise Lost", as inspiration for your book?

P.S. Your name is also very close to one of my other favorite British poets, Robert Browning. Is your name a nom-de-plume, or your actual birth name?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

OW! How did that funny face get into the title of Paradise Lost???  I must've hit a wrong key! Sorry about that!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
Robert_Browne
0 Kudos

My actual name is Robert Gregory-Browne, which became Robert Gregory Browne (no hypen), and now Robert Browne.  Soon I'll just be writing under Robert, then Rob, then just R. :smileywink:

As for Paradise Lost, I not only re-read the poem, I read it and read it again and again and even read various critical studies and listened to lectures about Milton.  That said, while the book centers around the idea of possible hidden messages in Milton's work, it is a pedal-to-the-metal supernatural thriller that will hopefully leave you feeling a bit breathless.

Author
Robert_Browne
0 Kudos

Looks like I invented a new word.  Hypen.  I think I like it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Robert_Browne wrote:

Looks like I invented a new word.  Hypen.  I think I like it.

LOL! I like it, too, Robert, Rob, or R. I think it's perfect for use with an author's name. Now I don't feel so badly about my own gaffe with that smiley face in the title of Milton's poem!

I'm looking forward to reading The Paradise Prophecy, probably with a copy of Milton at my elbow. Ah! Life is good!

New User
filipslady
0 Kudos

Will you be making any appearances and doing signings for The Paradise Prophecy? If so, would you share locations, please?

Author
Robert_Browne
0 Kudos

Other than my show in Vegas (where I go through several costume changes and dance the rumba with Charo), there are no plans for any appearances yet.  I will be attending a writers/readers conference called Bouchercon in the middle of next month, so if you feel like a visit to St. Louis, sign up and say hello.

New User
filipslady
0 Kudos

Are you working on anything new at this time?

Contributor
MeteorFlower
0 Kudos

For some authors, music plays a huge part in their work.  Either they're listening to it while they're writing or they play themselves and that love finds it's way into their work.

Has music ever played a part in any of your work?