Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Author
Shiloh_walker
Posts: 50
Registered: ‎07-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 


becke_davis wrote:

I'm intrigued by this. Are you able to work on more than one book at the same time, or is this just final edits on the Ballatine trilogy? How long does it take you to write a book, on average?

 

 

I almost have to work on more than one project at a time-if I just work on one, my brain gets bored and I can't focus for some reason.  Working on multiple projects just helps me focus.

 

and it depends on the book.  Generally, a full length will take me about 3-4 months.  novellas and shorter, category stuff?  About 3 weeks-8 weeks, depending on the story.


Shiloh Walker
http://shilohwalker.com/website

Learn more about Broken and Veil of Shadows.

Discover all Shiloh Walker titles.
Author
Shiloh_walker
Posts: 50
Registered: ‎07-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: So what are people reading right now?

 


becke_davis wrote:

 


 

For those who would like to meet you in person, Shiloh, do you have a schedule of events you'll be attending this year? Will you be doing any Barnes & Noble book signings?


 

 

I've got my signings listed in the sidebar of my blog here...http://www.shilohwalker.com/website/

 

Right now I don't have a BN signing set up, but I'm thinking about trying to set one up at a local B&N for an October release I have coming out...I'll just have to see what happens, though.


Shiloh Walker
http://shilohwalker.com/website

Learn more about Broken and Veil of Shadows.

Discover all Shiloh Walker titles.
Author
Shiloh_walker
Posts: 50
Registered: ‎07-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 

Shiloh Walker
http://shilohwalker.com/website

Learn more about Broken and Veil of Shadows.

Discover all Shiloh Walker titles.
Author
Shiloh_walker
Posts: 50
Registered: ‎07-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

 

Sight, I think... I tend to 'see' the book in my head.  I'm very visual, so I'd have to go with sight.

 

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

 

Hmmmm.  None of them.  The books I like, I like because of the author's voice.  If I had written it, it would be my voice and I don't think I'd like it as much.

 

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

 

Eek... don't ask me that-I've yet to watch Castle-but before anybody smacks me, it's for the betterment of all TV-viewer kind.  Anytime I get hooked on a show, it gets cancelled.  So I'll waited until Castle is off the air before I get hooked.  And I'd say Fillion, I guess.  Butler doesn't do anything for me.  Fillion is nice looking and I see him on twitter, appreciate his sense of humor.

 

 

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

 

Oh, I love medical type mysteries if the shows are well researched.  LOVE House, but that's probably not what you're meaning.  I like Law & Order.  I like crime thriller type movies that are more action heavy than anything else... keeps my attention focused better.  My brain, it wanders.

 

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

 

Oh, dear.  Nobody... lol.  I can't think of anybody really who fits the characters as I see them in my head.


Shiloh Walker
http://shilohwalker.com/website

Learn more about Broken and Veil of Shadows.

Discover all Shiloh Walker titles.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: So what are people reading right now?

 


Shiloh_walker wrote:

I just got back from a big writer's conference and I'm loaded with books... a lot of urban fantasy, paranormal romance, romantic suspense, women's fiction... I think I've got over 30 books in my suitcase, and that's not including the books I PLAN on buying just from talking to other writers about their stuff. 


 

(chuckle) Just like the rest of us.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 


becke_davis wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

 

Through the Veil  Thought I saw a tiny flashing image pointing to this being this Shiloah Walker?....

 

Bloody freaking great book!


 

 

Isn't Shiloh a great writer? I didn't want to step on Paul Goat Allen's toes (as our regulars know, Paul moderates paranormal, fantasy, sci fi, etc.) but I had to at least give it a plug!


 

 

Glad you did. I don't think you stepped on his toes, nor would he mind. He certainly didn't last month when a couple of us were dragging people over here for visiting author visits. It all one happy family, and there are a lot of us who haunt both areas.

 

Besides I might never have put two and two together otherwise.:smileywink:

 

Looks like I'm going hunting for SW's non paranormal books now.:smileyvery-happy:

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 


Shiloh_walker wrote:

Thank you!  And yes, that's me... LOL.  Glad you enjoyed it!


 

It truly is a treat having you visit. I had no idea you wrote other stuff.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 


Shiloh_walker wrote:

 

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

 

Hmmmm.  None of them.  The books I like, I like because of the author's voice.  If I had written it, it would be my voice and I don't think I'd like it as much.


 

Really one of the better answers to this question, that we've had.:smileywink:

 

Author
Shiloh_walker
Posts: 50
Registered: ‎07-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

 

It truly is a treat having you visit. I had no idea you wrote other stuff.

 


 

LOL... I write a little bit of everything, as far as romance goes-I get bored if I stick with one thing too easily.  I think I've mentioned my wandering brain.:smileysurprised:

 


Shiloh Walker
http://shilohwalker.com/website

Learn more about Broken and Veil of Shadows.

Discover all Shiloh Walker titles.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 


Shiloh_walker wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

 

It truly is a treat having you visit. I had no idea you wrote other stuff.

 


 

LOL... I write a little bit of everything, as far as romance goes-I get bored if I stick with one thing too easily.  I think I've mentioned my wandering brain.:smileysurprised:

 


 

 

:smileytongue::smileyvery-happy: I thought everyone's does that. Well.. at least mine does too.

 

So do you prefer just following the whim/muse or do you schedule open series spots?

 

Author
Shiloh_walker
Posts: 50
Registered: ‎07-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 



 

:smileytongue::smileyvery-happy: I thought everyone's does that. Well.. at least mine does too.

 

So do you prefer just following the whim/muse or do you schedule open series spots?

 


 

I'm not much of a muse writer, but whims?  Yeah, I like whims... *G*  But it's a little of both.  With my traditional publishers, I have to stick to deadlines, but I also write for digital publishers, too, and there, I can do whatever... *G* it's my playground and whatever catches my fancy.

 


Shiloh Walker
http://shilohwalker.com/website

Learn more about Broken and Veil of Shadows.

Discover all Shiloh Walker titles.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 


Shiloh_walker wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 



 

:smileytongue::smileyvery-happy: I thought everyone's does that. Well.. at least mine does too.

 

So do you prefer just following the whim/muse or do you schedule open series spots?

 


 

I'm not much of a muse writer, but whims?  Yeah, I like whims... *G*  But it's a little of both.  With my traditional publishers, I have to stick to deadlines, but I also write for digital publishers, too, and there, I can do whatever... *G* it's my playground and whatever catches my fancy.

 


 

Ah so the best of both worlds then.

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 


Shiloh_walker wrote:

 


becke_davis wrote:

I'm intrigued by this. Are you able to work on more than one book at the same time, or is this just final edits on the Ballatine trilogy? How long does it take you to write a book, on average?

 

 

I almost have to work on more than one project at a time-if I just work on one, my brain gets bored and I can't focus for some reason.  Working on multiple projects just helps me focus.

 

and it depends on the book.  Generally, a full length will take me about 3-4 months.  novellas and shorter, category stuff?  About 3 weeks-8 weeks, depending on the story.


 

 

I'm currently juggling a couple of stories and thought I was the only one who did that. You give me hope! Of course, you are mega-talented and I am still learning, but still . . .


I am in awe that you can finish books in that time. Your editors must really love you!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: So what are people reading right now?

 


Shiloh_walker wrote:

 


becke_davis wrote:

 


 

For those who would like to meet you in person, Shiloh, do you have a schedule of events you'll be attending this year? Will you be doing any Barnes & Noble book signings?


 

 

I've got my signings listed in the sidebar of my blog here...http://www.shilohwalker.com/website/

 

Right now I don't have a BN signing set up, but I'm thinking about trying to set one up at a local B&N for an October release I have coming out...I'll just have to see what happens, though.


 

I'll come visit you if you do the October book signing. Well, I'll try. I'll be in Chicago for a wedding, and in Columbus for COFW and to watch my son run the marathon there later in the month.

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 


Shiloh_walker wrote:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

 

Sight, I think... I tend to 'see' the book in my head.  I'm very visual, so I'd have to go with sight.

 

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

 

Hmmmm.  None of them.  The books I like, I like because of the author's voice.  If I had written it, it would be my voice and I don't think I'd like it as much.

 

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

 

Eek... don't ask me that-I've yet to watch Castle-but before anybody smacks me, it's for the betterment of all TV-viewer kind.  Anytime I get hooked on a show, it gets cancelled.  So I'll waited until Castle is off the air before I get hooked.  And I'd say Fillion, I guess.  Butler doesn't do anything for me.  Fillion is nice looking and I see him on twitter, appreciate his sense of humor.

 

 

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

 

Oh, I love medical type mysteries if the shows are well researched.  LOVE House, but that's probably not what you're meaning.  I like Law & Order.  I like crime thriller type movies that are more action heavy than anything else... keeps my attention focused better.  My brain, it wanders.

 

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

 

Oh, dear.  Nobody... lol.  I can't think of anybody really who fits the characters as I see them in my head.


 

I love HOUSE, too! I try not to watch it, but it draws me in every time I turn to that channel.

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!


TiggerBear wrote:

 


becke_davis wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

 

Through the Veil  Thought I saw a tiny flashing image pointing to this being this Shiloah Walker?....

 

Bloody freaking great book!


 

 

Isn't Shiloh a great writer? I didn't want to step on Paul Goat Allen's toes (as our regulars know, Paul moderates paranormal, fantasy, sci fi, etc.) but I had to at least give it a plug!


 

 

Glad you did. I don't think you stepped on his toes, nor would he mind. He certainly didn't last month when a couple of us were dragging people over here for visiting author visits. It all one happy family, and there are a lot of us who haunt both areas.

 

Besides I might never have put two and two together otherwise.:smileywink:

 

Looks like I'm going hunting for SW's non paranormal books now.:smileyvery-happy:

 

It is one big happy family, isn't it? Paul and Melanie are great! And Debbie is, too! And the bloggers and the other mods - it's a fun place.
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

Shiloh - Thank you so much for visiting with us today! This is "your" thread now, and you are welcome to add updates here whenever you like. Just search your name in the white box (upper right) to find the thread; posting a new comment will move it to the front of the board.

 

Come back and tell us when you have new releases, new book covers or book trailers, or any time you have a B&N book signing coming up. We'd love to see you again!

 

Thanks Graphic #138

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

 


becke_davis wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 


becke_davis wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

 

Through the Veil  Thought I saw a tiny flashing image pointing to this being this Shiloah Walker?....

 

Bloody freaking great book!


 

 

Isn't Shiloh a great writer? I didn't want to step on Paul Goat Allen's toes (as our regulars know, Paul moderates paranormal, fantasy, sci fi, etc.) but I had to at least give it a plug!


 

 

Glad you did. I don't think you stepped on his toes, nor would he mind. He certainly didn't last month when a couple of us were dragging people over here for visiting author visits. It all one happy family, and there are a lot of us who haunt both areas.

 

Besides I might never have put two and two together otherwise.:smileywink:

 

Looks like I'm going hunting for SW's non paranormal books now.:smileyvery-happy:

 

It is one big happy family, isn't it? Paul and Melanie are great! And Debbie is, too! And the bloggers and the other mods - it's a fun place.

 

Indeed. :smileywink:

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!

Yes thank you! For visiting us. Please come back soon! :smileyvery-happy:

 

I'm tempted to talk Paul into having you visit one month you have got a paranormal book comming out. I'm quite sure you would be welcome. In fact there is a new thread where we're talking about underrated series and authors. I think I'll pop you on there.

 

Author
Shiloh_walker
Posts: 50
Registered: ‎07-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SHILOH WALKER!


becke_davis wrote:

 

 

I'm currently juggling a couple of stories and thought I was the only one who did that. You give me hope! Of course, you are mega-talented and I am still learning, but still . . .


I am in awe that you can finish books in that time. Your editors must really love you!


When I'm not driving them nuts... they might.  LOL.  I'm just always in a hurry, I guess. :smileywink:

Shiloh Walker
http://shilohwalker.com/website

Learn more about Broken and Veil of Shadows.

Discover all Shiloh Walker titles.