Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author SOPHIE LITTLEFIELD

Sophie,

Welcome to the mystery board. Your titles really caught my attention. I will check them out. And I will be catching up on your thread here to see what everyone is saying.

Luanne

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi,Sophie. Becke, again has introduced us to another mystery writer that I  haven't heard about. I will have to try to look for your book, Sophie, as it sounds very intriguing.  Welcome to the mystery group and I'm glad to meet you.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
SophieLittlefield
0 Kudos

thanks Luanne. Oh, those titles!  The first book was originally titled DRINK IT BITTER....which came from the biblical passage about vengeance being a bitter drink. When marketing let me know they needed some additional ideas to choose from, I learned something experienced authors already know - that it can take quite a few ideas before you hit on one that pleases the entire team. I kind of thought two or three would do the trick...wrong!  I came up with several dozen before we chose one.

And then of course it ended up being something that carries through the entire series. We're trying to figure out the third book now. There are a few, ahem, smartasses in the house who keep coming up with....what i guess you would call  inappropriate ideas. :smileyhappy:

Author
SophieLittlefield
0 Kudos

THanks for the welcome! 

I have to admit I got a little intimidated looking over the list of recent guests...what a great bunch of authors!

pen21
0 Kudos

SophieLittlefield wrote:

thanks Luanne. Oh, those titles!  The first book was originally titled DRINK IT BITTER....which came from the biblical passage about vengeance being a bitter drink. When marketing let me know they needed some additional ideas to choose from, I learned something experienced authors already know - that it can take quite a few ideas before you hit on one that pleases the entire team. I kind of thought two or three would do the trick...wrong!  I came up with several dozen before we chose one.

And then of course it ended up being something that carries through the entire series. We're trying to figure out the third book now. There are a few, ahem, smartasses in the house who keep coming up with....what i guess you would call  inappropriate ideas. :smileyhappy:

I use to think that titles and cover art didn't influence me. But I have changed. I think it does attract. Obviously it is the content that keeps me coming back. But I think it is OK to be a little superficial and notice the eye catching title and cover art.

Luanne

becke_davis
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Sophie,

Welcome to the mystery board. Your titles really caught my attention. I will check them out. And I will be catching up on your thread here to see what everyone is saying.

Luanne

Luanne - Aren't Sophie's titles memorable?
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

SophieLittlefield wrote:

THanks for the welcome! 

I have to admit I got a little intimidated looking over the list of recent guests...what a great bunch of authors!

Oh please don't be intimidated. We're happy that any author is willing to take time out of their schedules and chat with us. It's a privilege.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hi,Sophie. Becke, again has introduced us to another mystery writer that I  haven't heard about. I will have to try to look for your book, Sophie, as it sounds very intriguing.  Welcome to the mystery group and I'm glad to meet you.

Isn't it fun to discover new authors??

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

maxcat wrote:

Isn't it fun to discover new authors??

(chuckle) Well.. dugh!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

SophieLittlefield wrote:

This is so funny - I was wondering what you'd call the next book and I've found myself playing with ideas for the title all day! I think you're on to a winner here, although I think your original title is pretty cool, too.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

SophieLittlefield wrote:

THanks for the welcome! 

It has been a very exciting year at Mystery! The Month of Cozy(ish) Crime in June was a lot of fun, and in February we had an insanely busy Month of Romantic Suspense. Next up, in August, we have a Month of Suspense & Thrillers, and in September we celebrate the birth date of Dame Agatha Christie with a month devoted to her books.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

SophieLittlefield wrote: THanks for the welcome! I have to admit I got a little intimidated looking over the list of recent guests...what a great bunch of authors! Oh please don't be intimidated. We're happy that any author is willing to take time out of their schedules and chat with us. It's a privilege.

Hmmm. I just got told that an unexpected error came up, so if this doesn't show that the last two sentences were written by TiggerBear, I will reiterate that here.

Sophie, welcome, and I just want to repeat what TiggerBear wrote. We are just happy to get to "chat" here with bona fide authors, so do not feel intimidated! We are a friendly group. You actually answered one of the questions I had put in the Macmillan thread, about how the titles are chosen for individual books.

Finally, kudos to becke, for once again providing us with excellent visuals and clips! Loved that black and white photo of you, Sophie--so young and glamorous! Then the interview clips showed us what you look like, "life and 'in living color'". Well done indeed, becke!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka - weren't those video clips fun?

Author
SophieLittlefield
0 Kudos

you guys are terrific. uhhhh...young and glamorous, i think my teenagers would fall over laughing at that one. We just got back from a birthday dinner for my brother-in-law and his wife, and another sister-in-law, all celebrating birthdays - two turned 50 and one turned 60.  

Middle age is definitely rewarding in many, many ways - and I am thrilled I get to write about a middle-aged heroine who actually has both adventures and a love life - but if you'd seen all of us sharing a single pair of reading glasses trying to read the menu at dinner tonight, you'd have a snapshot of the UN-glamorous side of this life stage :smileyhappy:

thanks for the welcome!

Author
SophieLittlefield
0 Kudos

thank you SO much for posting everything - i don't think I've ever had a more complete introduction, Becke.  BUT I have to tell you I hate watching myself on camera! Maybe everyone feels this way but it seems like every flaw and gaffe is magnified 100x.  The one where I'm in a bar - it was raining that night and I had complete rain hair and I kept losing my train of thought.

I definitely have to spiff up my public persona.  Maybe elocution lessons, a la Eliza Doolittle!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome Sophie:

I haven't been here for a couple of days because I was finishing A BAD DAY FOR SORRY. I read A BAD DAY FOR PRETTY first because that was the first book of Sophie's that I came across. After reading PRETTY, I knew I wanted to read SORRY.

I love Stella - she is one bad woman! She gets beat her up one night and she is up and running around the next day. She gets shot twice and is still living to tell about it. Wow! What a woman!

Just wanted to say what a unique idea to get attention to a woman's issue. The abuser better stay away or Stella will be coming after them! And they certainly wouldn't want that!

Thanks for visiting with us and keep on writing!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
SophieLittlefield
0 Kudos

Thanks Edie!

I was a little nervous treating the issue of domestic violence in a somewhat-humorous mystery. I never, ever wanted to show any disrespect to the victims of abuse.  It has been incredibly gratifying that a few women  - both the victims of spousal abuse and also women who work in with them - have been supportive of the book - I couldn't ask for a better comment on my work than that!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

SophieLittlefield wrote:

Thanks Edie!

I was a little nervous treating the issue of domestic violence in a somewhat-humorous mystery. I never, ever wanted to show any disrespect to the victims of abuse.  It has been incredibly gratifying that a few women  - both the victims of spousal abuse and also women who work in with them - have been supportive of the book - I couldn't ask for a better comment on my work than that!

That's one thing I especially liked. At first, I was curious to see how you would make Stella an avenging angel without getting preachy. Then, when I "met" Stella I wondered how you were going to keep her wit and spunkiness with such a dark topic. I'm very impressed that you pulled it off so well, especially since it would have been to easy to go too far either way -- too dark and violent or too cutesy.

As Goldilocks would say, Stella's character and the tone of the book(s) is "just right." I'm eager to get A BAD DAY FOR PRETTY. It got really stormy here last night and I decided to wait for my bookstore outing!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Since I read BAD DAY FOR PRETTY first, I was wondering if I was going to be lost on the background info from the first book, BAD DAY FOR SORRY. But, I pleasantly found out that Sophie did a great job in explaining the background from the first book, so I was not lost at all.

Needless to say, both books can be read as stand alones also!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sophie - Awhile back I asked friends in my local writer's group to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors. This is what they came up with:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

6) Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you know how your books are going to end or do you figure out as you write?