Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Author WENDY CORSI STAUB!

Murder on Broadway 

Murder on Broadway (With Ed Koch)

Reviews:

"Readers who find New Yorkers' in-your-face attitude appealing will enjoy former mayor Koch's latest mystery/memoir. It's obvious that Mr. Mayor can't quite let go of the glory years, but if readers can overlook his almost nonstop self-flattery, there's a nicely inventive plot and a cast of intriguing characters waiting to be discovered. The fictional Koch is attending a popular Broadway musical whose plot involves a love triangle. At the height of the action, the female lead is supposed to shoot one of her lovers. But this night, to the audience's horror, the shots that ring out are real, and one of the cast members lies dead on stage. Of course, Koch figures to outsmart both the NYPD and the murderer, and to no one's surprise, he's ultimately successful, winning the approbation of the press, theatergoers, and his many fans. Like Koch, this mystery is flamboyant, over the top, and pushy. But it's also clever and entertaining." 
—Emily Melton, Booklist

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Murder on 34th Street 

Murder on 34th Street

Christmas in New York. The city's legendary Ramsey's Department Store is suffering its worst season in years. General manager Barnaby Tischler knows it's because their rival, Weatherly's superstore, is scaring off the store's customers--with bomb threats! But when Ramsey's Santa-for-hire is found in a utility closet shot through the heart, Tischler's only hope lies in his old buddy, Mayor Ed Koch.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Senator Must Die 

The Senator Must Die

It begins on an autumn night in the Big Apple. Ed Koch, his bodyguards, and U.S. Senator Anson Hubbard are about to travel from a press conference on Wall Street to a well-earned dinner in Chinatown when the party is brutally ambushed. By the time the shooting stops, a bodyguard is dead and Ed Koch is determined to unravel a mystery that strikes too close to home.

Senator Hubbard has been campaigning for a full accounting of gold looted by the Nazis during the Holocaust and deposited into Swiss banks. Never one to shy away from a controversial cause, the mayor had used the Wall Street press conference to announce his full support of the Senator's investigation. While the mayor's staff immediately believes that Hizzoner was the intended victim of the assassination attempt, Koch isn't so sure, When Hubbard is seriously wounded by a sniper just before leaving for Switzerland, Koch's instincts prove accurate. Someone is out to stop the Senator's inquiry into the stolen fortune.

It's a web secrets that Koch is desperate to untangle, with little time to get the answers he seeks. Because not only are the descendants of Holocaust victims waiting for justice to be done, but lives are also at stake---and as Hizzoner soon discovers---one of them may be his own.

Fast-paced, colorful, and as timely as today's headlines, The Senator Must Die places Ed Koch on the international stage. From the concrete canyons of Manhattan to the Swiss Alps, the #1 New Yorker takes readers on another brilliant, unpredictable journey of mystery and intrigue.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

New York Times bestseller Wendy Corsi Staub is the award-winning author of more than seventy published novels and has sold more than three million books worldwide. Under her own name, Wendy achieved New York Times bestselling status with her single title psychological suspense novels. Those novels and the women's fiction she writes under the pseudonym Wendy Markham have also frequently appeared on the USA Today, Barnes and Noble Top Ten, and Bookscan bestseller lists. 

Her latest thriller, LIVE TO TELL (Avon Books, March 2010) received a starred review in Publishers Weekly and marks the first title in a suspense trilogy to be continued with SCARED TO DEATH (Avon Books, January 2011) and HELL TO PAY (Avon Books, 2011). As "Wendy Markham," her most recent title, THE BEST GIFT, is a sequel to the acclaimed 2006 Christmas Time Travel romance, IF ONLY IN MY DREAMS (both from Signet). She contributed a short story, "My Father's Eyes," to the FIRST THRILLS anthology edited by Lee Child (Forge, June 2010) 

Wendy recently won the 2008 RT Award for Career Achievement in Suspense and the 2007 RWA-NYC Golden Apple Award for Lifetime Achievement. A proud recipient of the RWA Rita award, she has also been honored three times with the Westchester Library Association's Washington Irving Prize for Fiction and was recognized as one of WLA's Millennial Authors in 2000. Her Wendy Markham novel SLIGHTLY SINGLE was named one of Waldenbooks' 100 Best Fiction titles of 2002. Her novels SLIGHTLY SUBURBAN, THE LAST TO KNOW, and ASK ME AGAIN were nominated for RT Reviewers Choice awards, and five of her novels, DON'T SCREAM; THE LAST TO KNOW; MIKE, MIKE AND ME; HELLO, IT'S ME; and BRIDE NEEDS GROOM, were awarded a month's top pick review by the RT BOOK club magazine. 

Her work has been translated into more than a dozen languages worldwide and her titles are regularly selected as features forMystery GuildLiterary Guild, Doubleday Book Club, Large Print Book Club, and Rhapsody Book Club. The series LILY DALE is under development for television and is available from Audible in audio book format. 

Wendy grew up in a large, close-knit family in rural southwestern New York State and decided she wanted to become an author while in third grade. She worked in two independent bookstores during college, then moved alone to New York City at 21 to pursue her dream. After stints as a book editor for a Manhattan publishing house and an account coordinator for a major advertising agency, she sold her first novel, the supernatural young adult thriller SUMMER LIGHTNING. Early in her writing career, she published in various genres including suspense, horror, historical and contemporary romance, television and movie tie-in, and biography. She also co-authored a mystery series with former New York City mayor Ed Koch and has ghost-written for a number of bestselling authors and celebrities. 

Wendy now lives in the New York City suburbs with her husband of nineteen years and their two children. A 1986 graduate of the State University of New York at Fredonia, she proudly delivered the keynote commencement address at her alma mater in May 2008 and is serving a three-year appointment to the Dean's Advisory Council for the College of Arts and Sciences. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

2011: HELL TO PAY, written as Wendy Corsi Staub, Avon Books, adult suspense trilogy
January 2011: SCARED TO DEATH, written as Wendy Corsi Staub, Avon Books, adult suspense trilogy
June 2010: FIRST THRILLS, anthology edited by Lee Child, short story, "My Father's Eyes," written as Wendy Corsi Staub, Forge Books, adult suspense
March 2010: LIVE TO TELL, written as Wendy Corsi Staub, Avon Books, adult suspense.
November 2009: The Best Gift, written as Wendy Markham, NAL Signet, Christmas Time Travel Romance
October 2009: Lily Dale: Discovering (Book Four) written as Wendy Corsi Staub, Walker Books, Young Adult paranormal suspense
June 2009: Lily Dale: Awakening  and Lily Dale: Believing (mass market relaunch) written as Wendy Corsi Staub, Walker Books, Young Adult paranormal suspense
May 2009: Dead Before Dark (a sequel to Dying Breath), written as Wendy Corsi Staub, Zebra Books, Adult paranormal suspense
April 2009: In the Blink of an Eye (Reisue, 4.99) written as Wendy Corsi Staub, Zebra Books, Adult paranormal suspense
Spring 2009: Dead Before Dark (a sequel to Dying Breath), written as Wendy Corsi Staub, Zebra Books, Adult paranormal suspense
Spring 2009: Lily Dale: Untitled (Book Four) written as Wendy Corsi Staub, Walker Books, Young Adult paranormal suspense

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wendy Corsi Staub

Please give a rousing welcome to WENDY CORSI STAUB! Some of you may remember Wendy visited with us just over a year ago. You can view that thread here: 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/JUNE-FEATURE-DEAD-BEFORE-DARK-by-Wendy-Corsi-Staub/m-...

098.gif

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wendy - I am just amazed at how prolific you are! I've listed so many books here, and yet these barely scratch the surface. How do you organize your writing - do you make a conscious decision to write X number of young adult novels, X number of suspense, and so on?

I am sad I didn't make it to RWA National this year, but I understand you were there. Are you doing a book tour this summer, too? If so, do you have any Barnes & Noble book signings coming up?

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Wendy:

I am in the middle of reading KISS HER GOODBYE and as soon as I finish writing this, I am getting back to the book to find out the rest of the story. I love your writing and I will be working thru your books one at a time. I love the ending of each chapter. You make the reader want to go on and read more. The story is really intriguing as I need to find out who keeps watching Jen!

Just wanted to stop by early this morning and thank you for visiting with us. Now, back to the book!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Wendy_Corsi_Staub
0 Kudos

Hi Becke! Yes, I just got home from RWA and am still in "recovery mode"--that's a wonderful conference for authors, booksellers, and readers alike and it's right here at home in NYC next summer. Missed you and Jessica (Becke's sweetheart daughter, whom I met last summer thanks to this community) in Orlando!

I've always been a prolific writer and that's how I wound up writing in different genres. I couldn't wait months without working on a new project while an editor was either in the acceptance/approval stage or editing a manuscript I'd sent in. I wound up writing--and selling, which was a blessing I truly appreciate--at least four books most years, sometimes seven or even eight!

I'm best known for the suspense novels I write under my own name, but I also developed a following under my chick lit/women's fiction pseudonym Wendy Markham. How many books I wrote in any particular genre was and is dictated by my contracts.

From day one of my career, I knew how important self-discipline would be, and whatever the editors asked for, I would do. ("Write a book in six weeks for a new series? Sure!") I know that's it very difficult to build a successful career and it's all I've ever wanted to do with my life, so I've met some impossible deadlines. My record was a young adult novel in ten days.

When my firstborn came early, I was about to meet an incredibly tight deadline for a high profile ghostwriting project. I had to go back to my work-in-progress the day after I came home from the hospital with him. I worked with him bundled against me in a sling. Thank God he was a good baby, and so was his little brother. I wrote countless manuscripts reaching past their little heads for the keyboard.

I've been on the road all summer for various conferences--too many to work in a book tour this year, so my ongoing 50-state tour is temporarily on hold but will resume in 2011. I can't wait to buckle down in my home office and write come September (though I'll be headed to the west coast a few times this fall--once for Bouchercon, are you going, Becke?).

Author
Wendy_Corsi_Staub
0 Kudos

Eadie, thanks so much for taking the time to let me know you like KISS HER GOODBYE! I love it when my readers tell me they're reluctant to put the book down. And love it even more when they are totally fooled by the endings of my books. When you're finished, let me know if I got you!

PS Love the Laurel Thatcher Ulrich quote! :-)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wendy_Corsi_Staub wrote:

Hi Becke! Yes, I just got home from RWA and am still in "recovery mode"--that's a wonderful conference for authors, booksellers, and readers alike and it's right here at home in NYC next summer. Missed you and Jessica (Becke's sweetheart daughter, whom I met last summer thanks to this community) in Orlando!

I was in Chicago for my niece's wedding and Jessica was a bridesmaid. We were both excited to see all the family, but very bummed to miss the fun in Orlando - I was going to bring her with me to National. (I still might next year.)

Jessica talks about your visit a lot - she is madly in love with your kids. You and your family really won her over, and you have a fan for life! I've been a fan since you first started writing, and one day I hope to visit Lily Dale one day!

I've always been a prolific writer and that's how I wound up writing in different genres. I couldn't wait months without working on a new project while an editor was either in the acceptance/approval stage or editing a manuscript I'd sent in. I wound up writing--and selling, which was a blessing I truly appreciate--at least four books most years, sometimes seven or even eight!

Good grief!!

I'm best known for the suspense novels I write under my own name, but I also developed a following under my chick lit/women's fiction pseudonym Wendy Markham. How many books I wrote in any particular genre was and is dictated by my contracts.

Best Gift 

I read this one last Christmas.

From day one of my career, I knew how important self-discipline would be, and whatever the editors asked for, I would do. ("Write a book in six weeks for a new series? Sure!") I know that's it very difficult to build a successful career and it's all I've ever wanted to do with my life, so I've met some impossible deadlines. My record was a young adult novel in ten days.

TEN DAYS?? That must be a record!

When my firstborn came early, I was about to meet an incredibly tight deadline for a high profile ghostwriting project. I had to go back to my work-in-progress the day after I came home from the hospital with him. I worked with him bundled against me in a sling. Thank God he was a good baby, and so was his little brother. I wrote countless manuscripts reaching past their little heads for the keyboard.

Jessica raved about how sweet your kids are, so this obviously didn't hurt them one bit!

I've been on the road all summer for various conferences--too many to work in a book tour this year, so my ongoing 50-state tour is temporarily on hold but will resume in 2011. I can't wait to buckle down in my home office and write come September (though I'll be headed to the west coast a few times this fall--once for Bouchercon, are you going, Becke?).

I went to Bouchercon last year but won't make it this year - another wedding in the family! (My sister's youngest - we're just waiting for the middle daughter to make an announcement!) I'm thinking of Malice Domestic next year, or possibly Thrillerfest - I wish I could go to that and stay on for RWA National, but that's a lot of hotel $$$.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wendy, when I was posting links to your books it brought back memories of many of the older ones. It's weird how some things stick with you - I could visualize scenes from the stories so clearly, and it made me realize how big a part the setting plays in your books. 

You have so many new books coming out - what are you working on now?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Author
WS_Gager
0 Kudos

Wow, 7-8 books in a year is amazing. I could do 2 maybe a third but eight is just way too many. How do you manage the promotions side of it and still find time to write? Since my first book, A Case of Infatuation, came out last year and the second, A Case of Accidental Intersection, this summer, it seems all I do is promote. I've read your earlier books and loved them but haven't read the others. I was surprised there were so many. Keep it going.

Wendy

W.S. Gager

P.S. Wendys have got to stick together!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Wendy, Hi, I am glad that you could be with us. I am glad that Becke has asked you to join us. I am getting new authors to read. I need to read some of you books. They look very interesting and intriguing.

I think that it is so cool that you write so much. They do say that write what you know and that you need to keep writng.

So keep writing. I am going to see about getting some of your books. Your books have me excited about reading them.

ReadingPatti