Frequent Contributor
Mysterylover1138
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author ALAN ORLOFF!

Alan

I can't wait to add your novels to my TBR pile.  I wish we had a barnes and noble closer to where I live because I feel like I miss out on being introduced to new authors who I may have never heard of before.  Thanks for coming to visit us here on our mystery board. 

So since it is Halloween time, who is your favorite scary author/what is your favorite scary book?

If you could write in a genra other than the one you do what would it be?

Hope you all are having a fantastic Wednesday.

Leigh

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

My favorites this year are:

Defending Jacob  

The Beautiful Mystery (Armand Gamache Series #8)  

Kept in the Dark  

A Quiet Belief in Angels  

Gone Girl  

The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street Series #1)  

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for a great question!

I grew up reading science fiction and horror, so I've got a lot of favorite scary books. I'm a big fan of Stephen King, and It made me look at clowns in a whole different light. The Stand was great, as was Firestarter, The Dead Zone, Salem's Lot, Cujo--boy, I could go on. I also like a lot of Dean Koontz's early books. Pretty scary stuff!

What other genres would I write in, besides mystery/suspense? Well, I already have  :smileyhappy:  As Zak Allen, I wrote a horror/thriller novel called THE TASTE (yes, it's available as a NOOK book: The Taste !). I've also written a couple YA manuscripts, one of which is currently searching for a good home.

Alan Orloff
Author of DIAMONDS FOR THE DEAD (Agatha Award Finalist), KILLER ROUTINE, and DEADLY CAMPAIGN (and, writing as Zak Allen, THE TASTE and FIRST TIME KILLER)
www.alanorloff.com
Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Eadie,

Oh yes, Defending Jacob was a great book! One of the best I've read in years. I haven't read any of the others you mentioned, but I do have The Stranger You Seek on my TBR pile. I'll have to give it a high priority. Thanks for the recommendations!

Alan

(I should add that I met Bill Landay at Bouchercon. What a nice guy!)

Alan Orloff
Author of DIAMONDS FOR THE DEAD (Agatha Award Finalist), KILLER ROUTINE, and DEADLY CAMPAIGN (and, writing as Zak Allen, THE TASTE and FIRST TIME KILLER)
www.alanorloff.com
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Alan:

I really like the ending of DEFENDING JACOB. Didn't expect that the mother would do what she did. Don't want to mention what she did in case of spoiling the ending for someone. I should read another one of his books but the TBR pile is very long.

Do you follow any authors that you read that have a series? I follow these authors:

Laura Lippman, Alan Bradley, Rebecca Cantrell, William Kent Krueger, Alex Kava, Louise Penny, Paul Doiron, Pamela Callow, G. M. Malliet, Beth Groundwater, Katherine Hall Page, Brad Parks, Deborah Crombie, Hilary Davidson, Thomas Kaufman, Avery Aames, Lois Winston, Roslund & Hellstrom, Charles Todd, Dana Cameron, Jo Nesbo, Lorna Barrett, Rosemary Harris, Julia Spencer Fleming, Clare O'Donohue,

and now I will have to add you to the list too! Are any of your books part of a series?

Just found the answer to my question -  Last Laff mystery series (KILLER ROUTINE and DEADLY CAMPAIGN), so I will have to add them to my list to read!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

AlanOrloff wrote:

I love my Barnes & Nobles! I'm fortunate to have two local ones who are both very supportive, and I love doing events there.

I just did a signing at the Fair Lakes Promenade B&N last month, but I don't have anything else planned for this fall.

If you do any next year, come back and let us know!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

If I remember correctly, it's Alan's birthday tomorrow. I thought it would be fun to start the celebrations early!

Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

Wow, Becke! Thanks for the birthday cake. But what are the rest of you going to eat?  :smileyhappy:

Alan Orloff
www.alanorloff.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

AlanOrloff wrote:

Wow, Becke! Thanks for the birthday cake. But what are the rest of you going to eat?  :smileyhappy:

Cupcakes!!

Birthday cupcakes reflecting the books that shaped a life. By Victoria’s Kitchen

Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

Book-topped cupcakes! Awesome! You need to tell me where your bakery is, Becke!

Alan

Alan Orloff
www.alanorloff.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

AlanOrloff wrote:

Book-topped cupcakes! Awesome! You need to tell me where your bakery is, Becke!

Alan

Of course, I whipped them up in my trusty oven! *cough*

Do you have anything special planned for your birthday, Alan?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

Well, not really. I'm a low-key kind of guy. In case you were wondering, I will NOT BE JUMPING OUT OF A PLANE.

Tomorrow, I'll be going to a friend's book launch, then out to dinner. To me, that sounds like more fun than JUMPING OUT OF A PLANE.

Alan

Alan Orloff
www.alanorloff.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

AlanOrloff wrote:

Well, not really. I'm a low-key kind of guy. In case you were wondering, I will NOT BE JUMPING OUT OF A PLANE.

Tomorrow, I'll be going to a friend's book launch, then out to dinner. To me, that sounds like more fun than JUMPING OUT OF A PLANE.

Alan

You won't find me doing that, either - or hang-gliding, bungee-jumping or going up in a hot air balloon. Both feet on solid ground - that's me!

What do you do for adventure, Alan?

Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

What do I do for adventure?

About six years ago, my family (wife and two boys) piled into the minivan for a 7-week cross country trip. That was about all the adventure I could handle!

Alan Orloff
www.alanorloff.com
Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

Hi Alan,

Great to see you here, and happy birthday!

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
becke_davis
0 Kudos

AlanOrloff wrote:

What do I do for adventure?

About six years ago, my family (wife and two boys) piled into the minivan for a 7-week cross country trip. That was about all the adventure I could handle!

When I was 15, my parents, my two cousins, my two brothers and two sisters and me piled into our station wagon for a road trip from Chicago to Albuquerque. During a stop in Oklahoma City, my brother added a gila monster to the group - only we didn't find out until it turned up in my closet (dead) when we got back home.

Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

With all those people in one station wagon, I'm surprised there was even room for a gila monster--dead or alive!

Sounds like fun, though!

Alan Orloff
www.alanorloff.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

AlanOrloff wrote:

With all those people in one station wagon, I'm surprised there was even room for a gila monster--dead or alive!

Sounds like fun, though!

It was memorable - we never did anything like it again, for good reason!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Alan - What are you working on now? Do you have a title/blurb/release date yet?