Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author ALAN ORLOFF!

[ Edited ]

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Alan:

Actually, we met on the boards last June when you were featured with The Midnight Ink group. Becke didn't remember because you were part of a group. Becke has been befuddled since she just moved but she's so nice to us that we always forgive her.

Here's the link:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Meet-the-Authors-of-MIDNIGHT-INK/m-p/1071752/highligh...

I got a copy of your book, Diamonds for the Dead, and I just pushed to the top of my TBR pile and started it last night. I am about 100 pages into it and I am enjoying it very much. The writing just flows and the characters are great!

Can't wait to finish it today!

That's right - I knew Alan was a Midnight Ink author, but I see him everywhere (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) and I neglected to post a link to that thread. Thanks for the reminder, Eadie - and thanks to all of you for bearing with me in my Year of Living Forgetfully!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Alan, welcome to the Mystery Forum. I've never read your books but I will be on the lookout for them. Thanks for being here this week.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

Hi Maxcat,

Thanks for the welcome!

I always have a lot of fun talking with mystery readers. Yes, some of them are twisted, but for some reason, that doesn't bother me!

Alan

Alan Orloff
Author of DIAMONDS FOR THE DEAD (Agatha Award Finalist), KILLER ROUTINE, and DEADLY CAMPAIGN (and, writing as Zak Allen, THE TASTE and FIRST TIME KILLER)
www.alanorloff.com
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Alan:

Just finished Diamonds for the Dead. Really liked it a lot. It's what I call "unputdownable". I needed to keep reading in order to find out who did it. Was pleasantly surprised and I liked how you tied things up at the end.

I will definitely be reading your other books. Congratulations on your Agatha Award for Diamonds for the Dead. I agree that is certainly is a very good first novel!

Now it's time to make dinner and see if my family will give me thumbs up tonight! I'd really rather skip dinner and read the next book on my TBR pile but I'm sure that would bring me a thumbs down!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

Hi Eadie,

Thanks so much for the kind words! I need to introduce you to all my friends :smileyhappy:

Happy Reading!

Alan

Alan Orloff
Author of DIAMONDS FOR THE DEAD (Agatha Award Finalist), KILLER ROUTINE, and DEADLY CAMPAIGN (and, writing as Zak Allen, THE TASTE and FIRST TIME KILLER)
www.alanorloff.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Alan - Do you have a favorite of your own books? Were any of them especially difficult to write?

Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

A favorite? Hmm. Books are kind of like children--you love them all! Even the ones that don't always listen to you.

I don't know which was the most difficult, but I'd have to say THE TASTE was the easiest to write (despite the somewhat disgusting premise (WARNING - it's not a mystery; it's a horror/thriller, so if you're squeamish, don't even read the description). For some reason, I was really in the zone when I wrote that one, and the words just seemed to flow.

Alan Orloff
www.alanorloff.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

AlanOrloff wrote:

A favorite? Hmm. Books are kind of like children--you love them all! Even the ones that don't always listen to you.

I don't know which was the most difficult, but I'd have to say THE TASTE was the easiest to write (despite the somewhat disgusting premise (WARNING - it's not a mystery; it's a horror/thriller, so if you're squeamish, don't even read the description). For some reason, I was really in the zone when I wrote that one, and the words just seemed to flow.

Sounds like a good Halloween read!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Have you always been a fan of mysteries and thrillers, Alan? Which books first turned you on to the genre?

Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

As a teenager, I read a lot of science fiction. Then I segued into horror. Not exclusively--I remembered going on an Agatha Christie binge, reading about twenty of her books in a month once.

When I took a job in Boston, my boss asked me if I liked to read. Then he told me about a series featuring a wise-guy Boston PI, and the rest is history. I read every one of Robert B. Parker's books, and I've been a big mystery/suspense fan ever since. 

Alan Orloff
www.alanorloff.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

AlanOrloff wrote:

As a teenager, I read a lot of science fiction. Then I segued into horror. Not exclusively--I remembered going on an Agatha Christie binge, reading about twenty of her books in a month once.

When I took a job in Boston, my boss asked me if I liked to read. Then he told me about a series featuring a wise-guy Boston PI, and the rest is history. I read every one of Robert B. Parker's books, and I've been a big mystery/suspense fan ever since. 

Looks like we share the same taste - I love both of these authors! So sad that we've lost Robert B. Parker - did you ever get to meet him?

Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

I never did get to meet him, but I sure would have loved to. That's one of the coolest things about going to mystery conventions and conferences and sitting on panels and stuff--getting to meet some terrific authors, some of whom I've been reading for years.

A couple weeks ago at Bouchercon, I went fanboy all over Mary Higgins Clark. Told her how much her first book, Where Are The Children? meant to me. She's very gracious and tells some great stories...

Alan Orloff
www.alanorloff.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

AlanOrloff wrote:

I never did get to meet him, but I sure would have loved to. That's one of the coolest things about going to mystery conventions and conferences and sitting on panels and stuff--getting to meet some terrific authors, some of whom I've been reading for years.

A couple weeks ago at Bouchercon, I went fanboy all over Mary Higgins Clark. Told her how much her first book, Where Are The Children? meant to me. She's very gracious and tells some great stories...

I've been in elevators with Lee Child and Charlene Harris at (two different) mystery conferences. I was practically speechless, and - believe me - that doesn't happen very often!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Alan - What do you do when you Really Should Be Writing?

Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

Oh, I never stray from my writing  :smileylol:

But if I did, I'd probably spend waaaay too much time on Facebook and Twitter.

Alan Orloff
www.alanorloff.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hi, Alan, welcome to the Mystery Forum. I've never read your books but I will be on the lookout for them. Thanks for being here this week.

Ditto. I know I have at least one of Alan's books on my TBR pile. Hope you are enjoying your visit here on our Mystery Forum this week, Alan.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

Hi Fricka,

Yes, I AM having a nice time during my visit here. I always enjoy interacting with new mystery lovers. So, let me ask all of you a question:

What's the best debut mystery/suspense book you've read so far this year?

Alan

Alan Orloff
www.alanorloff.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Alan - I don't think I asked this already - do you have any Barnes & Noble book signings planned this fall?

Author
AlanOrloff
0 Kudos

I love my Barnes & Nobles! I'm fortunate to have two local ones who are both very supportive, and I love doing events there.

I just did a signing at the Fair Lakes Promenade B&N last month, but I don't have anything else planned for this fall.

Alan Orloff
www.alanorloff.com