Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author AMANDA FLOWER!

AmandaFlower wrote:

Becke wrote:

Amanda - Do you plot out your stories before you write them or do you write more organically?

Also, what do you do when you Really Should Be Writing?

I am a classic panster. I don't really plot at all. I just write. I wish I were  a plotter because I think it would be less stressful. I tried it once and completely changed my mind in mid-manuscript. The best way to write is the way that works for you. It took me a long time to come to terms with my panster-ness.

I goof off all the time when I should be writing. I think my worst goof off is Twitter and FB. I tell myself that I will "check one last time to see what's going on" and get sucked into the social media vortex. At times, I go to extremes and deactivate my wireless internet to stop myself from goofing off.

Another goof off is watching reality TV. Amazing Race is my favorite, but I can get caught up in shows like the Millionaire Matchmaker too.

LOL! My addiction is NCIS and any British mystery series. The trick with social media is that authors are told to make connections there, but it's a total time suck!

Author
AmandaFlower
0 Kudos

That's great, Becke. Ohioana is a great organization!

Author
AmandaFlower
0 Kudos

It is! I was just goofing off on Twitter two seconds ago. *shakes head*

becke_davis
0 Kudos

AmandaFlower wrote:

It is! I was just goofing off on Twitter two seconds ago. *shakes head*

It's marketing, right? If it helps sell books, it's all good!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Did you always want to be a mystery writer, Amanda, or did you try other careers first?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I hear there's a big blizzard moving across the Midwest, supposed to hit my area tonight. So far Ohio has had a lot more snow than we've been getting in Chicago, but tonight might change that!

Author
AmandaFlower
0 Kudos

Right!

Author
AmandaFlower
0 Kudos

Becke wrote:

Did you always want to be a mystery writer, Amanda, or did you try other careers first?

In addition to being an author, I am a fulltime college librarian. Sometimes juggling two fulltime careers can be crazy. Most days I can make it work for the most part. :smileyhappy:

Author
AmandaFlower
0 Kudos

Stay warm! This winter has been brutal. I can't wait for summer!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

AmandaFlower wrote:

Stay warm! This winter has been brutal. I can't wait for summer!

Author
AmandaFlower
0 Kudos

I can't wait for spring!

This has been so much fun being here this week.  I just want to remind everyone that my publisher is hosting a limited time ebook sale of my Appleseed Creek Series. Great time to check them out.  This sale is also on Kindle and iBooks. :smileywink:

A Plain Death (Appleseed Creek Series #1)  

A Plain Scandal  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Amanda - Thanks for hanging out with us this week. It's been fun! If any of you have questions for Amanda, now is the time to post them.

I've got one more question for Amanda, and it's kind of open-ended. Would you share a couple of little-known facts about yourself (or your books) with us?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oops - not quite done with the questions! Amanda, not sure if I asked this, but please let us know if you'll be doing any Barnes & Noble booksignings in 2013. 

Also, where can we find you on social media? (I think I posted a Facebook link, but I'm sure I missed others!)

Author
AmandaFlower
0 Kudos

Becke wrote: I've got one more question for Amanda, and it's kind of open-ended. Would you share a couple of little-known facts about yourself (or your books) with us?

I'm happy to! Here are three little known facts!

1) I'm a vegetarian. So many of Amish dishes I describe, I haven't eaten. When I go to Amish country, I take friend and make her eat (she doesn't mind) and have her descibe the food to me. I do eat the desserts though!

2) I cross country ski. It's been a good year for it.

3) I'm tall 5'9' which isn't really that tall... at least I don't think so. But I can't tell you how many times I've met readers and they say, "you are so much taller than I thought."

:cathappy:

Author
AmandaFlower
0 Kudos

Becke, it's been so much fun to visit the Book Club this week! I don't have any B&N signings on my calendar yet this year, but readers can find me easily on social media.

Facebook Twitter Goodreads Pinterest

And here is a link to my upcoming events: http://www.amandaflower.com/Events.html

Thank you so much again! It's been a great week! Happy reading all!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

AmandaFlower wrote:

Becke, it's been so much fun to visit the Book Club this week! I don't have any B&N signings on my calendar yet this year, but readers can find me easily on social media.

Facebook Twitter Goodreads Pinterest

And here is a link to my upcoming events: http://www.amandaflower.com/Events.html

Thank you so much again! It's been a great week! Happy reading all!

Thanks for posting the Pinterest link - I usually forget those. I love Pinterest! (I follow all your boards there.)

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Amanda

Off to a late start this week getting on the blog.  Hope you have had a great time with us.

This week has been a whirlwind and will definately add you to my list of TBR

Keep on writing!  :smileyvery-happy:

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Amanda - Thank you so much for visiting with us this week. It's been a lot of fun chatting with you!