Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author ANIA AHLBORN!

Thanks Eadie.

If you're into creepy little kids, SEED is right up your alley. If you're into creepy neighbors... well, you get what I'm saying. :smileywink:
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Ania and welcome, Isn't Becke a great hostess?

Wow, going through a cemetery. How young were you.

I'm looking forward to your novel

Thanks for the visit!!!

Whew - just got back! We made the mistake of trying to get a bus in rush hour. Not quite used to living in the city yet!

Here's a picture of my daughter and my granddaughter, taken at lunch today:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ania_Ahlborn wrote:

Hi Fricka,

The little guy on the cover is just a design we came up with for the demon that haunts the Winter family within the pages of SEED. Though now that you mention it, he does look a bit like Pan as well. I never caught it until now. :smileyhappy:

If we're talking about SEED, it's definitely horror. We're on the mystery forum because my upcoming release (which is tomorrow!) can be classified as thriller, suspense, and mystery.

I love the cover of SEED, too. THE NEIGHBORS also has a great cover. Did you have much say in the cover art? The cover gods were definitely with you!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ania - Have any of your books been optioned for film? It seems like they'd make great movies!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Another question for you (hope you don't mind me asking you some questions...):

What's up next for you? Do you have another book coming out in 2013?

Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

I have absolute power over the cover. My editor is fully aware that I'm a little crazy when it comes to aesthetics. I have a background as a traditional artist as well, so he was more than a little terrified when we started working together. But so far the covers we've come up with have been fantastic. Hopefully that trend will continue long into the future.
Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

SEED is being optioned. I'm told we may be seeing it on the big screen in three years or so!
Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

I don't mind at all, Becke. :smileyhappy:

I only have two books out right now, but I'm about ready to start working on the fifth in early 2013.

The third book is called The Shuddering, and it's a classic monster horror throwback. That one, I believe, will be coming out next summer. The fourth, which is currently untitled, will probably be coming out in late fall or early winter of next year as well... at least that's the plan for now. It may get pushed to early 2014, but we'll see.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ania_Ahlborn wrote:
I have absolute power over the cover. My editor is fully aware that I'm a little crazy when it comes to aesthetics. I have a background as a traditional artist as well, so he was more than a little terrified when we started working together. But so far the covers we've come up with have been fantastic. Hopefully that trend will continue long into the future.

That's wonderful - you obviously have very good taste. How nice that your publisher was open to your ideas!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ania_Ahlborn wrote:
SEED is being optioned. I'm told we may be seeing it on the big screen in three years or so!

Whenever you get more details, let me know and I'll publicize it here! You can always come back and update this thread, too.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ania_Ahlborn wrote:
I don't mind at all, Becke. :smileyhappy:

I only have two books out right now, but I'm about ready to start working on the fifth in early 2013.

The third book is called The Shuddering, and it's a classic monster horror throwback. That one, I believe, will be coming out next summer. The fourth, which is currently untitled, will probably be coming out in late fall or early winter of next year as well... at least that's the plan for now. It may get pushed to early 2014, but we'll see.

TWO books coming up? That's impressive! How long, on average, does it take you to complete a book?

Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

My record is two weeks for a first draft. But it usually takes me six to eight weeks on average.

Then comes the editing, which can take another few months. I've been told I'm an extremely fast worker, but this pace is definitely something that will slow down in the future. This year has been crazy. I've written two books and edited three. So. tired. I need a vacation. :smileytongue:
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ania_Ahlborn wrote:
My record is two weeks for a first draft. But it usually takes me six to eight weeks on average.

Then comes the editing, which can take another few months. I've been told I'm an extremely fast worker, but this pace is definitely something that will slow down in the future. This year has been crazy. I've written two books and edited three. So. tired. I need a vacation. :smileytongue:

Wow! Do you participate in NaNoWriMo? The goal for that is to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. It sounds like you've beaten that target more than once!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Ania_Ahlborn wrote:

Whenever you get more details, let me know and I'll publicize it here! You can always come back and update this thread, too.

I forgot to ask - will you have any say in the casting?

Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

Honestly, I don't like the concept of NaNoWriMo. I think it's a great way to put new writers off of writing novels completely. Writing is hard in general. Writing a novel is even harder. From how I understand it, many writers use NaNo as a motivator... but that seems like such a bad idea. The analogy I like to use is one of a couch potato getting fed up with their lifestyle only to say "next month, I'm going to run a marathon!" Sure, it's possible, but it's probably going to be extremely unpleasant, and our couch potato will either quit out of frustration, feelings of defeat, feelings that they simply aren't "good enough", that they "suck at writing". I don't know... the whole NaNo thing kind of bothers me for that reason.
Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

My fingers are crossed that maybe I will, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. :smileywink:
Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Ania

So why the facination with the "dark side"?  The books sound very interesting  and I agree with the others here...the book cover  for Seed is facinating.  Glancing at it, I didn't see the "Pan" critter until I did a double take.

Congrats on the books

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ania_Ahlborn wrote:
Honestly, I don't like the concept of NaNoWriMo. I think it's a great way to put new writers off of writing novels completely. Writing is hard in general. Writing a novel is even harder. From how I understand it, many writers use NaNo as a motivator... but that seems like such a bad idea. The analogy I like to use is one of a couch potato getting fed up with their lifestyle only to say "next month, I'm going to run a marathon!" Sure, it's possible, but it's probably going to be extremely unpleasant, and our couch potato will either quit out of frustration, feelings of defeat, feelings that they simply aren't "good enough", that they "suck at writing". I don't know... the whole NaNo thing kind of bothers me for that reason.

It's not for everyone, I agree.

How many novels did you write before you got published, Ania? I have some friends who wrote for years before selling.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for visiting with us, Ania!