Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Featured Author ANIA AHLBORN!

This week's guest is new to Barnes & Noble's Mystery Forum. Please give ANIA AHLBORN a big welcome! Her website is here: http://www.aniaahlborn.com

Born in Ciechanow Poland, Ania has always been drawn to the darker, mysterious, and sometimes morbid side of life. Her earliest childhood memory is of crawling through a hole in the chain link fence that separated her family home from the large wooded cemetery next door. She’d spend hours among the headstones, breaking up bouquets of silk flowers so that everyone had their equal share.

At age eleven, Ania discovered her love of writing during a sweltering New Mexico summer. Writing a story with her cousin, in tandem, she hasn't been able to shake the writing bug since.

Ania lives in New Mexico with her husband and two dogs.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author ANIA AHLBORN!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Seed  

The Neighbors  

COMING IN 2013: THE SHUDDERING

A group of five friends drive to Southern Colorado for a snowboarding trip, shacking up in a family-owned cabin. When they wake to nothing but white, they soon realize leaving isn't an option. But being snowed in is the least of their worries. Because something is out there, and it's determined to get in before they get out.

Ahlborn's third novel, a throwback to classic monster horror, will be released sometime in 2013.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Neighbors  

Partly based on her fascination with serial killers and their ability to blend into tightly knit communities, Ahlborn's sophomore effort, titled THE NEIGHBORS, is a chilling look at what can potentially lie beneath the surface of classic Americana.

After leaving home, Andrew Morrison is eager to start a new life. But not everything is as perfect as he's invisioned. The house he moves into is a mess, his roommate isn't the friend he remembers, and money is tight. But Andrew's hopes for the future are inextinguishable, and the neighbors, the Wards, quickly become Andrew's support system through difficult times.

But the Wards have a dangerous secret, and their sights are set on Andrew himself.

THE NEIGHBORS will be released in late November of 2012.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Welcome. Ania!

Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke!

I'll be here all week, so if any readers have any questions or comments about The Neighbors or writing in general, feel free to leave them here and I'll answer them shortly.

-Ania

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Ania_Ahlborn, Welcome, I hope you have a great visit. I will have to check out your books. They look interesting. I am always looking for new authors and good mysteries.

Enjoy your visit.

ReadingPatti

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Ania, welcome to our forum. I thought that cover for your book Seed was riveting. I have to ask, is that figure cavorting on the cover supposed to be Pan? From the description of this book on the Barnes and Noble site, I would classify this in the horror subgenre of mystery. When you started out writing this book, is that what you had in mind?

1/ 1

• Seed
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ania_Ahlborn wrote:

Thanks, Becke!

I'll be here all week, so if any readers have any questions or comments about The Neighbors or writing in general, feel free to leave them here and I'll answer them shortly.

-Ania

Thanks so much for joining us, Ania! I just found this interview you did recently:

http://www.blackgate.com/2012/11/22/goth-chick-news-13-questions-for-horror-writer-ania-ahlborn/

I love the introduction:

Goth Chick News - 13 Questions for Horror Writer Ania Ahlborn

Thursday, November 22nd, 2012 | Posted by Sue Granquist

image0022Back in September, I had the pleasure of getting an advance look at an apparently rare phenomenon: a horror novel written by a woman.

Perhaps “rare” is not the best word to describe this relatively small pool of talent. But take a moment to enter the words “women horror writers” into Google and the first article that appears is entitled “Top 25 Women Horror Writers You Probably Haven’t Heard Of (But Should Probably Know.)” After that entry, the following articles contain even smaller and more limited lists, most replicating some if not all the names that appear in that Top 25 you probably haven’t heard of.

Maybe (hopefully) the pool of ladies of dark literature is larger than we perceive and it’s the collective psyche which falsely attributes all the good, page-turning frights to the boys.

After all, it’s not like we girls don’t have the ability to scare the snot out of you.

Because you know we do.

Just to prove that point, let me introduce you to Ania Ahlborn, on track to break the conventions around women in horror beginning with her first novel, Seed, and shattering them completely with her upcoming release, The Neighbors.

Follow the link above to read Ania's interview - it's fascinating!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ania - What drew you to the horror genre in the first place? What are some of the books and authors that influenced you?

(Note: My daughter just flew in from Florida and I'm taking her Christmas shopping today. I'll be gone for awhile this afternoon, but I'll check in again when I get home. 

I hope the B&N crowd will make you welcome here! (I know they will.)

I should point out, there are a lot more people following this thread than commenting on it. *waves to the silent lurkers* As you discovered, Ania, signing in can be glitchy and you have to sign in before you can comment.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Ania and welcome, Isn't Becke a great hostess?

Wow, going through a cemetery. How young were you.

I'm looking forward to your novel

Thanks for the visit!!!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Welcome Ania, The Shuddering sounds fascinating. Right out of a horror movie. I'll be looking for that book next year.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Ania:

Can't wait to read SEED - that book looks awesome! THE NEIGHBORS looks good too!

Enjoyed your blog. Thanks for visiting with us! 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

Hi Fricka,

The little guy on the cover is just a design we came up with for the demon that haunts the Winter family within the pages of SEED. Though now that you mention it, he does look a bit like Pan as well. I never caught it until now. :smileyhappy:

If we're talking about SEED, it's definitely horror. We're on the mystery forum because my upcoming release (which is tomorrow!) can be classified as thriller, suspense, and mystery.

Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

That was probably one of the funnest interviews I've done in a while.

Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

I've always been a bit of a 'weirdy'. My mother has asked me on more than a few occasions, "Why do you like such dark stuff? Did I do something wrong?" I find it hilarious.

No, she didn't do anything wrong. I've just always been drawn to the darker, twisted things in life. I was the kid who would sneak watching scary movies when my parents weren't paying attention. My favorite holiday was Halloween and I loved the scary costumes. Princesses weren't for me, no sir.

I guess you can say the love for the strange and unusual really is in my blood.
Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

Thanks Debbie. Becke is great. :smileyhappy:

I can't say exactly how old I was because I was so very young. I'm pretty sure I was five or six years old. Way too young to be visiting a graveyard on my own, that's for sure.
Author
Ania_Ahlborn
0 Kudos

Thanks so much.

The Shuddering is a bit of a departure for me in the sense that it's a throwback to classic monster horror, but I always make it a point to focus on characters and their relationships rather than being purely plot driven. So in one sense, I'm most certainly not reinventing the wheel with a story about a group of friends going up to the mountains for a weekend that turns disastrous. On the other hand, I'm breaking away from the typical scenario of focusing purely on action and really digging deep into these characters' emotions.

I hope you'll enjoy it. :smileyhappy: