becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Featured Author BRAD PARKS!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author BRAD PARKS!

THE GOOD COP
A Carter Ross Mystery 

Coming March 5th!

The Good Cop (Carter Ross Series #4)  

As long as Newark Eagle-Examinerreporter Carter Ross turns in his stories on deadline, no one bats an eye if he doesn't wander into the newsroom until 10 or 11 in the morning. So it's an unpleasant surprise when he's awakened at 8:38 by a phone call from his boss, telling him a local policeman was killed and Carter will be covering the story, starting immediately. Shaking himself awake, Carter heads off to interview the cop's widow before other media outlets hear the news. He's baffled when, hours later, there are still no other reporters at the widow's house. And then he gets another call from his boss: the story's off, the cop committed suicide.

But Carter can't understand why a man with a job he loved, a beautiful wife, and plans to take his adorable children to Disney World would suddenly kill himself. And when his widow makes a public statement to the same effect and Carter's calls to the police and the morgue are repeatedly blocked, it's clear someone knows more than he's saying about the cop's death. The question is, who? And what is he trying to hide? With his usual single-minded devotion to a good story—and to the memory of a Newark policeman—Carter will do whatever it takes to uncover the truth.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bio (Verbose Version)

Bookname

Brad Parks started writing professionally at 14, when he discovered two important things about his hometown newspaper, The Ridgefield (Conn.) Press: One, it paid freelancers 50 cents a column inch for articles about local high school sports; and, two, it ran most submissions at their original length. For Brad, that meant making more money writing than babysitting. For the parents of the girls' basketball players at Ridgefield High, that meant glowing accounts of their daughters' games that ran on for no less than 40 inches.

This launched Brad on a 20-year journalism career, one that continued at Dartmouth College, where he founded a weekly sports newspaper that he ran out of his dorm room. After graduating Phi Beta Kappa, he was hired by The Washington Post, becoming the youngest writer on the paper's staff. Two years later, he moved to The (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger. A sportswriter who later switched to news, he covered everything from the Super Bowl to the Masters, from small-town pizza wars to Hurricane Katrina. His work was recognized by, among others, the Associated Press Sports Editors, the National Headliner Awards, the National Association of Black Journalists and the New Jersey Press Association, which gave its top award for enterprise reporting to Brad's 40-year retrospective on the Newark riots. He was also a two-time finalist for the Livingston Award for Young Journalists (sometimes called the "Junior Pulitzers").

While on assignment for The Star-Ledger in 2004, Brad covered a quadruple homicide in Newark that provided the real-life launching point for Carter Ross, a fictional character who bears no resemblance to Brad beyond their shared height, weight, eye color, hair color, skin color, charmed upbringing, sartorial blandness and general worldview.

Brad left the newspaper industry in 2008 to pursue fiction-writing. In 2009, he published FACES OF THE GONE, which sold through its first print run in nine days and went on to win the Nero Award for Best American Mystery and theShamus Award for Best First Mystery. It made Brad the only author in the combined 60-year history of those awards to win both for the same book.Library Journal called Faces of the Gone "the most hilariously funny and deadly serious mystery debut since Janet Evanovich's One for the Money," while Yahoo.com opined that Brad was "the literary love child of Evanovich and (Harlan) Coben."

The next installment of the Carter Ross series, EYES OF THE INNOCENT, also went back to print nine days after its release. Library Journal cheered it was "as good if not better (than) his acclaimed debut" and The Wall Street Journalcalled it "engaging." Meanwhile, readers on a popular book review website voted Carter Ross "The World's Favorite Amateur Sleuth" in a 64-sleuth, tournament-style bracket, where he beat out Agatha Christie's Miss Marple in the finals (Brad's explanation of the upset: "I'm on Twitter. Agatha Christie isn't."). He was also named one of "Crime Fiction's Sexiest Authors of 2011" (for which there is no explanation, beyond blindness).

THE GIRL NEXT DOOR, the third Carter Ross adventure, released in March 2012 and climbed to No. 3 on the Baker & Taylor Fiction/Mystery Bestseller List. It was nominated for a Lefty Award for best humorous mystery, and Kirkus Reviews placed it on its Best Fiction of 2012 list. Publishers Weekly called it "a Sopranos-worthy ragout of high drama and low comedy" while Booklist lauded it as "a masterpiece" in a starred review. RT Book Reviews warned, "Reading will be compulsive."

The series continues with THE GOOD COP on March 5, 2013. A fifth Carter Ross novel is also written and awaiting publication. An enthusiastic public speaker, Brad will serve as Toastmaster at the 2014 Left Coast Crime. He has also been known to burst into song at bookstores, libraries, book conferences, and other places where no one was thoughtful enough to muzzle him. When not writing, he is a washed up jock, a closeted community theater nerd, a father to two and a husband to one. He lives in the tidewater part of Virginia, where he is currently working on the next Carter Ross mystery.

good-cop-225.jpg
becke_davis
0 Kudos

characters

charactersCarter Ross
Vitals: 6-1, 185, brown hair, blue eyes
Our hero, the sometimes-dashing investigative reporter. Born and raised in well-to-do Millburn, Carter attended some of New Jersey's finest prep schools then spent four years at Amherst College. Still in his early 30's, he has landed a plum gig: Investigative reporter at The Newark Eagle-Examiner, a job that plunges this white-shoe WASP into some of the seamiest places the city has to offer.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

charactersTommy Hernandez
Vitals: 5-7, 130, straight brown hair, brown eyes
What every hero needs: A gay Cuban sidekick. Although still an intern, Tommy is a gifted natural reporter, blessed with the ability to hit the streets and find the story. And Carter often finds himself relying on Tommy's assistance—and receiving his sartorial critiques—as they tackle the tough stories together.

charactersTina Thompson
Vitals: 5-8, 135, brown curly hair, brown eyes
The smoking hot city editor and Carter's not-quite lover. Tina is pure Type-A: a career-driven, yoga-obsessed, jogging enthusiast who gets what she wants by force of personality. And she's recently decided she wants to become a mother—and, fortunately and/or unfortunately for Carter, she's got the father all picked out.

charactersSal Szanto
Vitals: 5-11, 245, salt-and-pepper hair, brown eyes
The grumpy managing editor. Szanto is Carter's boss, which is only one of several headaches in his life. He medicates these pains with a combination of caffeine, nicotine and antacid—most of which only exacerbate his occasional inability to pronounce vowels.

charactersHarold Brodie
Vitals: 5-9, 150, silver hair, blue eyes
The legendary executive editor. Brodie has ruled overThe Newark Eagle-Examiner newsroom for the last quarter century. With wild eyebrow hair and a grandfatherly falsetto, he is a mostly benign dictator—though he is nothing if not persistent when he wants a story.

charactersReginald "Tee" Williams
Vitals: 5-10, 250, black braided hair, brown eyes
The source on the streets. Tee owns a custom T-shirt shop in Newark and looks like a bad-ass: One-eighth of a ton of muscle, braids and tattoos. But he's also afraid of his wife and cries at car commercials. Tee explains the ways of the 'hood to Carter, who reciprocates by translating white people for Tee.

charactersBuster Hays
Vitals: 6-0, 210, gray curly hair, brown eyes
The newsroom crank. Hays comes from da Bronx, roughly the neighborhood of 133rd street. An old-time newsman, he's always riding Carter for the silver spoon in his mouth. Still, he's got a massive rolodex of sources from three decades in the business and he'll (grudgingly) share them with Carter.

charactersDeadline the Cat
Vitals: 25 inches, 13 pounds, black and white coat
The indolent domestic shorthair. Deadline gets very cranky if he doesn't get his sleep—about 22 hours a day will usually do the trick. His other hobbies are eating and pooping. 
becke_davis
0 Kudos

JOIN THE FAN CLUB

The Scoop is the Official Newsletter of The Carter Ross Fan Club. Due to plunging advertising revenues and rising production costs, the majority of the staff has been laid off and replaced by the underpaid, overworked interns atBradParksBooks.com. They do their best to provide updates on the comings and goings of author Brad Parks and his fictional hero, Carter Ross. But they also spend a lot of time watching YouTube, so we can't vouch for the quality. 

Members of the Carter Ross Fan Club receive the following:

• A subscription to The Scoop, the Official Newsletter of the Carter Ross Fan Club!1
  • Information about give-aways, contests and Official Carter Ross merchandise.
  • Access to uncensored parts of BradParksBooks.com, including doctored photos of the Author dressed up like Queen Latifah!2

Best of all, it's free!

http://www.bradparksbooks.com/newsletter.php

becke_davis
0 Kudos

2013 Author Appearances

Khaki is the New Black Tour 

Tuesday, March 5, 6:30 p.m.
Barbecue, Books & Brad!
Launch event with the Friends of the Essex Library—RSVP required
Old Beale Church
Tapphannock, VA

Friday, March 8, 7 p.m.
Wine & Cheese event

Benefits the Manasquan Hurricane Restoration Fund

Booktowne

Manasquan, NJ

Saturday, March 9, 2 p.m.
Paramus Barnes & Noble
Paramus, NJ

Sunday, March 10, 2 p.m.
Springfield Barnes & Noble
Springfield, NJ

See the full schedule here: http://www.bradparksbooks.com/events.php

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This gives you a clue why Brad (and his newsletters) crack me up:

CONTACT BRAD PARKS 

All attempts to contact the author are screened by the interns atBradParksBooks.com and then sorted into appropriate categories. As the interns are overworked, please simplify their task by selecting one of the following: 

The Author is an idiot and I'm writing with a complaint.

The Author is okay and I'm writing with praise.

I'm still up in the air about the Author and would like to reserve judgment for a later time.

The complete form can be found here: http://www.bradparksbooks.com/contact.php

becke_davis
0 Kudos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Parks

Brad Parks (born July 13, 1974) is an American author of mystery novels and thrillers. He is the winner of the 2010 Shamus Award and 2010 Nero Award, the only author to have ever won both awards in the same year. His protagonist and narrator, investigative reporter Carter Ross, writes about crime for a fictional newspaper The Newark Eagle-Examiner, based in Newark, New Jersey. His novels are known for mixing humor with the gritty realism of their urban setting.

Background

Parks was born in New Jersey but grew up in Ridgefield, Connecticut, where he attended Ridgefield High School. He first started writing professionally for his hometown newspaper, The Ridgefield Press, at age 14, covering high school sports.[1] He attended Dartmouth College, founding his own newspaper, The Sports Weekly (now defunct) and singing with the Dodecaphonics, a co-ed a cappella group. While still a student, he worked as a stringer for The New York Times and as an intern for The Boston Globe. After graduating Phi Beta Kappa from Dartmouth in 1996, he interned at The Washington Post, and was eventually hired full-time by the paper, which assigned him to a bureau in Manassas, Virginia.[2] In 1998, he moved to The Star-Ledger and began working as a sports features writer and, later, a news feature writer. In 2007, Crossroads, his four-part series on the 1967 Newark riots won the New Jersey Press Association's top prize for enterprise reporting.[3] He now lives in Virginia with his wife and two small children.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

More from Wikipedia - check out Brad's Barnes & Noble connection!

Career

Parks began writing fiction at age 26 in the cafe at a Barnes & Noble as a way to kill time while his wife was studying for her graduate degree.[4] The inspiration for his published first novel, Faces of the Gone, was a 2004 quadruple homicide in Newark that he covered as a journalist.[5] The novel sold to St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books in 2008 to be published on December 8, 2009. Prior to publication,Harlan Coben called it a "terrific debut." Library Journal gave it a starred review calling it "the most hilariously funny and deadly serious mystery debut since Janet Evanovich's One for the Money."[6] The novel went on to win the 2010 Shamus Award for best first novel;[7]and the 2010 Nero Award for best American mystery.[8] Faces of the Gone is the only book to have ever won both awards.[9]

Parks' second book, Eyes of the Innocent, was based on Parks' reporting of the Subprime mortgage crisis and House flipping that became common in Newark and other cities prior to the Global financial crisis of 2008–2009. It received a starred review from Library Journal, which called it "as good if not better (than) his acclaimed debut."[10] The Wall Street Journal described protagonist Ross as "engaging" and said the book was "a capable follow-up to this author's award-winning debut."[11] The Free Lance–Star described it as "a book that melds the style of a Bob Woodward and a Janet Evanovich." [12]

Parks' third book, The Girl Next Door, delves into the struggles of the newspaper industry and how a contentious union negotiation ends up imperiling a woman described as being like the girl next door. The novel received a starred review from Booklist, which called it "... a masterpiece."[13] Library Journal called the Carter Ross series "a refreshing tonic for the mystery soul.".[14] Shelf Awareness gave it a starred review, calling it "perfect for the reader who loves an LOL moment but wants a mystery that's more than empty calories."[15]Kirkus Reviews named it one of the top 100 works of fiction of 2012, making it one of just a handful of mysteries to win that honor.[16]

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please give BRAD PARKS a big welcome!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

This is so cool, because I saw a blog post about the new book and knew I wanted it.  Thanks for the post here, it's reaffirmed that idea.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

This is so cool, because I saw a blog post about the new book and knew I wanted it.  Thanks for the post here, it's reaffirmed that idea.

I always preorder Brad's books - I think you'll like them, too, Ryan!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Interview with Brad Parks:

Becke: Tell us about yourself! How long have you been writing, and what are you working on now?

BRAD: I’ve been writing since age 7, when I penned what might be called a “nature thriller.” It was about a bear wandering through the wilderness with his friends, except I spelled bear B-E-E-R. I wish I could say my work has since gotten more mature, but there are times when I doubt it.

Becke: How many books have you written? For those who haven’t read yor books, please tell us something about them!

BRAD: THE GOOD COP is the fourth in the Carter Ross series (though, don’t worry, you can start anywhere and read in any order). An investigative reporter, Carter Ross is a khaki-clad WASP who dives into the seamiest parts of Newark, N.J. – with sometimes-hilarious, sometimes-harrowing results. Shelf Awareness has called the series “perfect for the reader who loves an LOL moment but wants a mystery that’s more than just empty calories.” That’s as good a description of my work as I’ve read.

Becke: What’s your writing process like? Are you a plotter or a pantser?

BRAD: Pure pantser. I start every book with some idea of an issue I want to write about – in this case, gun smuggling – and I imagine what crime might have resulted from that (and who might have cause to commit it). After that, what happens next is as much a surprise to me as it is to anyone reading. I just keep Carter charging ahead at a minimum of 1,000 words a day until he gets to The End.

Becke: Your newsletters are hilarious! What’s the real story about your interns?

BRAD: My interns are some of the laziest, good-for-nothing freeloaders in the world – and all they ever seem to do is get themselves in trouble and make fun of me. I cannot fathom the enthusiasm for them. If I didn’t need them to run my website and Facebook campaigns, I’d try rid of the whole lot of them. Sadly, they’d probably just keep coming to work, if only to harass me.

Becke: What are some of your interests and activities in your “real” life!

BRAD: I’m a washed-up jock (tennis, softball, volleyball, swimming, running, flag football and anything else I can do while my bad knees and balky rotator cuff still hold out). I’m also a closeted community theater nerd who has this terribly tendency to burst into song. But most of all I’m a husband and a father to two young children who, thankfully for them, look nothing like me.

Becke: Who are some of your favorite authors, and what are some of your favorite books? (For example, if you could only keep five books, what would they be?)

BRAD: I’ve always said that if I was ever trapped on a desert island with five books, I would want one to be the size and shape of a canoe so I could paddle to another desert island that at least has a library. But if you want to talk authors I esteem... I pretty much want to grow up to be either Michael Connelly, Harlan Coben or Lisa Gardner – who, not coincidentally, have all been gracious enough to blurb my books. I can pretty much die happy because of those three blurbs.

Becke: Still on the subject of books, which books/authors turned you on to mysteries?

BRAD: I’m lucky my old man has good taste in books. He was a fan of John D. MacDonald, so I got turned onto his work fairly early in my reading life. There’s obviously a lot of me in my main character, Carter Ross. But if he shares a bit of DNA with anyone else, it’s probably Travis McGee – inasmuch as they are unafraid to share their thoughts about what’s right/wrong with the world they inhabit.

Becke: Would you share your “call” story with us – how you found out you’d sold your first book?

BRAD: I had been dabbling in fiction for a while, and by the summer of 2008, I had an agent who was shopping my manuscript. It was a crazy time, because I had actually already told my employer, The Newark Star-Ledger, that I was quitting my job to become an author (never mind that I didn’t have a book contract). Our plan was to move for my wife’s job, and for me to stay home to write books until one sold. Two weeks before the moving vans came, on July 8, 2008, I got “the call.” The timing could scarcely have been better.

Becke: What have been some other important turning points in your life?

BRAD: Believe it or not, a lot of them have been things that, at the time, felt like disappointments or failures – but later turned out to be blessings in disguise. As just one example, up until the age of 30, I had been a sportswriter who dreamed of one day becoming a sports columnist. When the sports column at my paper came open, they gave the job to another guy (who has since come to show how richly he deserved it). I was crushed and decided it was time to leave the sports department. My first assignment as a news side reporter was a quadruple homicide that served as the inspiration for Faces of the Gone – which became the first book in history to win both the Shamus and the Nero Award and launched my career as a novelist.

Becke: Tell us about your new release.

BRAD: It’s called The Good Cop and I’ll spare you any false modesty: It’s the best thing that’s been published under my name to date. It’s got all the humor and fun that Carter Ross fans have come to expect, but I think its thriller elements are much stronger. It will keep you guessing right to the end.

Becke: What book is up next for you? Is that what you’re working on now?

BRAD: Carter Ross No. 5 is written, under contract, and scheduled for release in 2014 (unless the rapture comes first, in which case all bets are off). It involves toxic waste and the mob – two things that, believe it or not, have been known to exist in New Jersey (shocking, I know). My current project, which I’ll return to as soon as I’m done touring, is a standalone legal thriller, which I’m very excited about.

Becke: Tell us a couple of little-known facts about yourself.

BRAD: I’m left-handed and very right brained. I don’t know if that qualifies as little-known, but I feel like it explains about 98 percent of why I view the world a little differently than most. Also I’m colorblind, which explains the way I dress.

Becke: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? Did you want to be a comedian, by any chance?

BRAD: The first thing I remember telling my mother is that I wanted to be Batman. Come to think of it, that would still be a pretty damn cool job.

Becke: What do you do when you Really Should Be Writing?

BRAD: I’m actually quite disciplined (fear is a wonderful motivator). Most mornings, I get up, splash some water on my face and get writing. I don’t stop until I’ve done at least a thousand words. My biggest downfall is the Internet (Twitter, Facebook, e-mail, etc.), but I have managed to discover the one place in America that doesn’t have Wi-Fi yet – a Hardees Restaurant about five miles from where I live. Between the lack of www distractions and the free Coke Zero refills, I usually have my daily words written by 10:30 or so.

Becke: Do you have any Barnes & Noble book signings scheduled for 2013?

BRAD: Why, yes, thank you for asking! One is in Paramus, N.J. on Saturday, March 9 at 2 p.m. http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/event/78888. The other is in Springfield, N.J. on Sunday, March 10 at 2 p.m. http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/event/78877.

If you mention this interview, I’ll sing any song you request (as long as I know the words).

Becke: I've been to the B&N in Paramus before, but it's been awhile. If you ever plan a B&N book signing in Chicago, let me know! Thanks very much for answering my nosy questions!

BRAD: Thanks for being so nosy!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brad - The Rapture notwithstanding, can you give us any hints about the next book? (Title, blurb, anything?) Or is it too soon to say?

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome Brad! I can proudly boast that I have read all your books to date and have personalized copies of those books. Meeting Brad in New Hope PA last year was a wonderful experience (at least for me)! Lol! Looking forward to reading The Good Cop! Carter Ross is one of my favorite fictional characters!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Brad_Parks
0 Kudos

Hey Everyone!

Thanks to Becke for having me here -- she always does a great job of making authors feel welcome. (Oh, and you asked about Carter Ross Five: no finalized title yet. But it deals with toxic waste and the mob, so if nothing else it will be true to its New Jersey roots).

Ryan -- thanks for taking a chance on me. Hope it's vindicated.

Eadie -- great to hear from you and, yes, we'll always have New Hope.  : )

I can't imagine there's anything about me you don't know yet. But I would be happy to take questions, spitball wild theories or generally entertain whatever topic is on your minds...

Brad

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brad_Parks wrote:

Hey Everyone!

Thanks to Becke for having me here -- she always does a great job of making authors feel welcome. (Oh, and you asked about Carter Ross Five: no finalized title yet. But it deals with toxic waste and the mob, so if nothing else it will be true to its New Jersey roots).

Ryan -- thanks for taking a chance on me. Hope it's vindicated.

Eadie -- great to hear from you and, yes, we'll always have New Hope.  : )

I can't imagine there's anything about me you don't know yet. But I would be happy to take questions, spitball wild theories or generally entertain whatever topic is on your minds...

Brad

Eadie - You're far ahead of me! I met Brad several years ago at the Romantic Times conference in Columbus, OH. I was surprised how many mystery authors were there!  I hope to go to RT again one of these days. Anyway, Brad's first book had just come out and he autographed a copy for my dad, who was about to turn 80. My dad loved his comment, which I believe was "Eighty is the new thirty!" I forward Brad's newsletters to my dad, and Brad's books are must-reads for both of us now.

Brad - I'm trying to think of a wild theory to spitball, but it's Monday morning and my brain isn't quite in gear yet. I'm in Chicago now, BTW (moved here from Cincinnati last fall). I'm trying to find the mystery groups and conferences that are up this way - are there any I should check out?

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Brad, welcome back to the forum! I must read some of your books; they sound intriguing. Have a good week here!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
Brad_Parks
0 Kudos

Maxcat -- Thanks for checking me out. I appreciate you trying me out. I wish authors could do a moneyback guarantee -- you know, if you're not completely satisfied, return the unused portion of this book for a full refund. Actually, I guess we do that. It's called a library.

Becke -- Have you bumped across Dana Kaye in your travels yet? She's a publicist who works in the Chicago area and she's very hooked in to all things Chicagoland. Try to bump into her at a conference (she goes to a lot of them). She'll set you straight.