Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author DEBORAH SHARP!

DeborahSharp wrote:
Good questions, Becke. Just the sort I used to ask as a reporter all those many years ago. I'm always fresher in the morning, so that's when I get my best writing done. I've always envied those people who can write in the middle of the night. I'm lucky if I can find my way to the bathroom, let alone plot a mystery, in the wee hours before dawn. I'm a plotter, for sure. Love the idea of going by the seat of my pants, but I like to know where I'm headed before I start out. I typically have a 30-plus page outline before I write the first chapter, though my characters often make u-turns and detours along the way without my permission!

Deborah - This cracks me up:  "I'm lucky if I can find my way to the bathroom, let alone plot a mystery, in the wee hours before dawn." I'm the opposite - or I used to be! Now I babysit for my grandbaby every day, I need my sleep. But normally I'm up until the wee hours of the morning!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Deborah - Were you influenced by any particular books or authors when you first decided to be a writer?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I hope you don't mind me bombarding you with questions - since you have to sign in to comment (and the sign in process is a tad glitchy) we get a lot more people reading your responses than asking questions. I try to anticipate what they might like to know.

So - here's another one. Were any of your characters inspired by real people? (Or is it too dangerous to say?) Do your friends and family look for themselves in your stories?

Author
DeborahSharp
0 Kudos

Hi ... sorry just getting back to these ?s ... the dreaded log-on problems when I wasn't at my own computer. Yes, absolutely influenced by the late Ann George, a wonderful Alabama writer who did the Southern Sisters mysteries, and, of course, by Janet Evanovich. I was never as flattered as when one reviewer called my main character a rural Stephanie Plum. ;-)
Deborah Sharp
Author of the funny Mace Bauer Mystery series
Author
DeborahSharp
0 Kudos

I don't feel bombarded at all. You have great questions! I'm embarassed to admit how much of my own mama I've stolen for the Mama character: mulitiple marriages, sweet pink wine, gambles with the Seminoles .... she also asked me the question Mama asks Mace a hundred times when I was growing up: Honey, why don't you at least wear a little lipstick? Funny how people sometimes don't see themselves in the characters, though. My mom-in-law, who was a wonderful woman if a bit .... unusual .... never saw herself in a less-than-flattering character I created. She did, however, see herself in a character that became everyone's favorite!
Deborah Sharp
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeborahSharp wrote:
Hi ... sorry just getting back to these ?s ... the dreaded log-on problems when I wasn't at my own computer. Yes, absolutely influenced by the late Ann George, a wonderful Alabama writer who did the Southern Sisters mysteries, and, of course, by Janet Evanovich. I was never as flattered as when one reviewer called my main character a rural Stephanie Plum. ;-)

LOL - I thought those two authors might be on your list! ;-)

Two more questions, if you don't mind:

1) Were any of your books more difficult than the others to write?

2) Do you have a favorite among your own books?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeborahSharp wrote:
I don't feel bombarded at all. You have great questions! I'm embarassed to admit how much of my own mama I've stolen for the Mama character: mulitiple marriages, sweet pink wine, gambles with the Seminoles .... she also asked me the question Mama asks Mace a hundred times when I was growing up: Honey, why don't you at least wear a little lipstick? Funny how people sometimes don't see themselves in the characters, though. My mom-in-law, who was a wonderful woman if a bit .... unusual .... never saw herself in a less-than-flattering character I created. She did, however, see herself in a character that became everyone's favorite!

That's probably a good thing!!

Author
DeborahSharp
0 Kudos

Generally, the writing process gets easier with practice, but for personal reasons my latest one was hardest to write. For Books 1-4, my mama (the real one) was an enthusiastic participant in the writing process. I'd write a chapter, then go to her house in the afternoon for coffee and the chance to read it aloud to her. But, unfortunately, she developed dementia and was really not able to follow along anymore. She now lives in assisted living, and though she's still doing pretty well (at almost 99 years old), I really missed -- miss -- those afternoons together, enjoying her input and reactions to what I wrote. Life intrudes on fiction, I guess.
As for my favorite, authors are always supposed to lie and say No, no favorite book (like with kids!). Still, my second one, Mama Rides Shotgun, is mine. I know what I endured to research the setting for that one: a week long trail ride on horseback, camping out along the way during one of Florida's rare freezes. What the heck was I thinking?? Anyway, love it for the detail on the ride and the authentic slice of Florida where I set my books.
Deborah Sharp
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeborahSharp wrote:
Generally, the writing process gets easier with practice, but for personal reasons my latest one was hardest to write. For Books 1-4, my mama (the real one) was an enthusiastic participant in the writing process. I'd write a chapter, then go to her house in the afternoon for coffee and the chance to read it aloud to her. But, unfortunately, she developed dementia and was really not able to follow along anymore. She now lives in assisted living, and though she's still doing pretty well (at almost 99 years old), I really missed -- miss -- those afternoons together, enjoying her input and reactions to what I wrote. Life intrudes on fiction, I guess.
As for my favorite, authors are always supposed to lie and say No, no favorite book (like with kids!). Still, my second one, Mama Rides Shotgun, is mine. I know what I endured to research the setting for that one: a week long trail ride on horseback, camping out along the way during one of Florida's rare freezes. What the heck was I thinking?? Anyway, love it for the detail on the ride and the authentic slice of Florida where I set my books.

Oh, Deborah - this makes me want to cry! I'm so glad you had those afternoons with your mom. Dementia is a horrible thing. I'm glad your mom is still around - and at 99! - but it must be very hard for you.

Thanks for sharing your favorite book - and your reasons why it's a favorite! I'm sure a lot of people following this thread are going to want to read that book now, if they haven't already!

Mama Rides Shotgun (Mace Bauer Mystery Series #2)  

Author
DeborahSharp
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke ... funny thing, I still have nice afternoons with my mama ... just not the same way. She really lives in the moment, and sometimes it's a funny moment. The other day, she greeted me when I came to visit: "You know what I really want to do?''

No, Mama, what? 

"I'd like to go ice-skating.'' 

This despite the fact we live in S. Fla., where it was 90 degrees outside, and she probably hasn't ice-skated since 1930, when she was 16 and lived in Chicago. 

Don't you think you might be too old to ice-skate? 

"No! And, I'm going to go, as soon as I find my skates.'' 

Who knows ... maybe she will.

Deborah Sharp
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeborahSharp wrote:

Thanks, Becke ... funny thing, I still have nice afternoons with my mama ... just not the same way. She really lives in the moment, and sometimes it's a funny moment. The other day, she greeted me when I came to visit: "You know what I really want to do?''

No, Mama, what? 

This despite the fact we live in S. Fla., where it was 90 degrees outside, and she probably hasn't ice-skated since 1930, when she was 16 and lived in Chicago. 

Awwww! I grew up in Chicago and often went ice skating on man-made ponds the local Jaycees and the fire department made. Nearly froze my toes off, but it was fun! I'm glad your mom has those memories to keep her cool. 90 degrees in South Florida is NOT like 90 degrees anywhere else!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

DeborahSharp wrote:

No, Mama, what? 

Awwww! I grew up in Chicago and often went ice skating on man-made ponds the local Jaycees and the fire department made. Nearly froze my toes off, but it was fun! I'm glad your mom has those memories to keep her cool. 90 degrees in South Florida is NOT like 90 degrees anywhere else!

Thanks so much for visiting with us this week. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

Author
DeborahSharp
0 Kudos

Thank YOU for having me, Becke .... Have a wonderful time with your grandbaby. Doesn't get any better than that! PS: Do you still root for the Chicago teams? My mom followed the Cubs, even though she's been in Florida for at least 75 years!

Deborah Sharp
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeborahSharp wrote:

Thank YOU for having me, Becke .... Have a wonderful time with your grandbaby. Doesn't get any better than that! PS: Do you still root for the Chicago teams? My mom followed the Cubs, even though she's been in Florida for at least 75 years!

OOh, that's a tough call. I'm torn between loyalties to the Bengals and the Bears!