Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Featured Author DENISE SWANSON!

Sorry for the late post - I've been busy with my son's wedding, reception and wedding breakfast. It's been quite a week! I'm still in Portland, but I'll try to check in a couple times today. You may remember this week's guest - she's visited with us before. Please welcome New York Times best selling author DENISE SWANSON!

Here are links to Denise's previous visits:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-blog-by-author-DENISE-SWANSON/m-p/885914/highli...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-blog-by-author-DENISE-SWANSON/m-p/1300895/highl...

I had the pleasure of meeting Denise at Left Coast Crime in Santa Fe a few years back. I also attended a seminar where she was one of the presenters. I posted about it here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Left-Coast-Crime-The-Big-Chile/m-p/927778/highlight/t...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author DENISE SWANSON!

Denise's website is here: http://www.deniseswanson.com/

Denise Swanson

Denise Swanson, The New York Times best-selling author of theScumble River Mystery series, began writing after coming face-to-face with evil. She quickly decided she would rather write about villains than encounter them in her daily life. She was also shocked to discover that getting a book published was nearly as difficult as vanquishing scoundrels. Nickeled-and-Dimed to Death is the second book in her new Devereaux's Dime Store Mystery series featuring Devereaux Sinclair, the happy owner of the old-fashioned shop in Shadow Bend, a small town near Kansas City, Missouri. If only murder didn't keep landing on her doorstep...

Book 1 - March 2012: Little Shop of Homicide
Book 2 - March 2013: Nickeled-and-Dimed to Death

Denise was nominated for RT Magazine's Career Achievement Award. Her fellow nominees included Sue Grafton and Janet Evanovich. She has spoken at hundreds of library events and other civic organizations. She has also been interviewed on radio and TV.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble, Bolingbrook, Illinois

Barnes & Noble, Bolingbrook, Illinois:   Heather Webber and Denise Swanson (center) with B & N staff (left to right) Angela, Melinda, Eden and Jenny.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Check this out, too! http://www.deniseswanson.com/skywrite.htm

EVENTS:

Sunday, September 8 with Joelle Charbonneau at 1:00 PM: 

Barnes & Noble Booksellers

The Promenade, 631 East Boughton Road - Suite 100, Bolingbrook, Illinois 60440
Web site: http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/store/2304

Friday-Saturday, October 4-5: Moonlight & Magnolias
Atlanta Hilton Northeast, 5993 Peachtree Industrial Blvd, Norcross, Georgia 30092-3416
Web site: ttp://www.GeorgiaRomanceWriters.org/mm-conference

Tuesday, October 15 at 6:30 PM: Dwight Women's Club 
Prairie Creek Library, 501 Carriage House Lane, Dwight, Illinois 60420
Web site: http://www.PrairieCreekLibrary.org

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You'll find LOTS of recipes on Denise's website here: http://www.deniseswanson.com/homecook.htm

Murder of the Cat's Meow — Murder of a Creped Suzette —
Murder of a Bookstore Babe — Murder of a Wedding Belle

The New York Times Print Paperback
Best-Sellers Mass-Market Fiction

More awards here: http://www.deniseswanson.com/awards.htm

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Click here for a full list of all Denise's books in order, and with short descriptions:

http://www.deniseswanson.com/bibliog.htm

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Murder of a Stacked Librarian (Scumble River Series #16)  

There’s no place like Scumble River at Christmastime, and this year, school psychologist Skye Denison has twice as much to celebrate — and to do. In addition to the usual holiday frenzy, Skye’s wedding is less than a week away — that is, if the groom isn’t too busy working to attend. The town’s sexy new librarian, Yvonne Osborn, has just been murdered, and the list of suspects is piling up faster than late fees on an overdue book.

Yvonne’s strict sense of right and wrong annoyed some townspeople and infuriated others. Did her high standards lead to her death? Skye is distracted by worries about what havoc the crazy Dooziers will wreak on her wedding day and whether she’ll fit into her dress. But Skye can’t afford to leave any page unturned because unless she works quickly to expose the scheming killer, her happy ending may be put on permanent hold....

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Please welcome DENISE SWANSON!

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

It's hard for me to believe that this is the 16th book in my series. I remember getting the THE CALL from my agent when she sold the first three books to Penguin and never in a million years thinking that readers would take Skye and Scumble River into their hearts as they have.

Best,

Denise

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Denise, I must admit I haven't read your books but am interested in the Scumble River series. Are they stand alones or should I read the first one?

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

The books are part of a series. Having said that, if you read more for the mystery than the character's lives, each mystery is solved at the end of the book. If you like to see the characters develop, it is probably best to start with the first one--Murder of a Small-Town Honey.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Thanks, Denise, I'll start there.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:

Hi Everyone!

It's hard for me to believe that this is the 16th book in my series. I remember getting the THE CALL from my agent when she sold the first three books to Penguin and never in a million years thinking that readers would take Skye and Scumble River into their hearts as they have.

Best,

Denise

Hi Denise - I'm soooo glad you were able to sign in okay! Please excuse my absence today. I thought I'd have time to go online before we boarded our plane, but that didn't happen. We just got back from a very long flight. I'm trying to get unpacked and get some laundry done before my grandbaby comes over in the morning. It must have been HOT while we were gone because we've had to churn up the air conditioning to get this place to a comfortable temperature. Luckily we left a little food in the cabinets and refrigerator because we were way too tired to go shopping tonight. I'll check in as often as I can tomorrow during the day, but I'll be on more in the late afternoon and evening, after the baby goes home.

Denise - I want to congratulate on your SIXTEENTH book in this series! That number really boggles the mind! When you sold the first book in the series, did you ever imagine it would go on so long?

What is your favorite thing about writing a long running series? What's the most difficult thing about it?

Can you tell us what you're working on now, or is it too soon to say? 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Best,

Denise

I love "call" stories, Denise! It's especially exciting to look back on those moments, knowing that the author has achieved continuing success!

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Thank you Becke!

Glad you made it home okay. Traveling can be challenging. Planning book tours resembles herding cats.

I had no idea the series would continue so long. I was hoping for five books, but doubted there would be more than three because my publisher told me that Scumble River was a "nice" regional book that wouldn't sell well out of the Midwest. :smileywink: The first book is now in it's 16th printing.

My favorite thing about writing a long running series is that I know the characters and setting so well that it's like going home for a visit everytime I start a new book.

The most difficult thing is bringing new readers up to speed since sooooo much has happened in my characters lives from book on to the present.

Since I actually writer the books a year ahead of their publication, I'm turning in the next Scumble River book next week and will start writing the fourth Dime Store book soon after that. In the meantime, I'm working away on a romance about a small-town teacher who wins the lottery.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:
Thank you Becke!

Glad you made it home okay. Traveling can be challenging. Planning book tours resembles herding cats.

I had no idea the series would continue so long. I was hoping for five books, but doubted there would be more than three because my publisher told me that Scumble River was a "nice" regional book that wouldn't sell well out of the Midwest. :smileywink: The first book is now in it's 16th printing.

My favorite thing about writing a long running series is that I know the characters and setting so well that it's like going home for a visit everytime I start a new book.

The most difficult thing is bringing new readers up to speed since sooooo much has happened in my characters lives from book on to the present.

Since I actually writer the books a year ahead of their publication, I'm turning in the next Scumble River book next week and will start writing the fourth Dime Store book soon after that. In the meantime, I'm working away on a romance about a small-town teacher who wins the lottery.

Since I'm a Midwesterner, I especially like books set in this area. How much does Scumble River resemble your real hometown? 

When I attended your workshop at Left Coast Crime, I loved hearing you (and a few other authors) talk about how - OCCASIONALLY - you might base your victim on a particularly annoying person in real life. (Disguised to protect the "innocent", of course!) Can you expand on that for us?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:
Thank you Becke!

How cool that you're writing a romance! If that book is a success, will you continue to write mysteries or will you change your focus to romance? What brought about this genre change (even if it is just a few books)?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"Glad you made it home okay. Traveling can be challenging. Planning book tours resembles herding cats."

You should have seen us at the airport: me, my husband, my son, his new wife, their one-year-old daughter and my daughter-in-law's 14-year-old brother (who lives with them), plus a humongous stroller and two suitcases each. We looked like a circus parade!

It sounds like you've had some interesting book tours. Can you tell us about them?

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Scumble River is inspired by my hometown of Coal City, and two adjacent towns--Braidwood and Wilmington--smooshed together.

A lot of my characters, not just the victim, are inspired by people I've met. I usually take a couple of traits from one, a couple from another, and go from there.