Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author DENISE SWANSON!

I actually started out writing romance, I just never got any of those published. As with my mysteries, I was writing a heroine, setting, and style that New York publishers didn't think would sell. The heroine wasn't Barbie shaped, the setting was a small town in the Midwest instead of the south, and my style wasn't sweet--there was sex--but it wasn't erotic either--no BDSM, threesomes, etc. Now that indie publishing is more of an option, my plan is to publish the romances myself.

My hope is to write mystery and romance. I may end up writing one mystery a year instead of two, but I'll have to see how the things go.
Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Well there was the one in Texas the week it was 105 in the shade. Then there was the California one, when somehow I got scheduled to sign at store in a section of San Francisco that really opened my small-town girl eyes. :smileywink: Not to mention the delayed flights so that I was changing in the taxi as we headed toward my speaking engagement and don't get me started on the bad hotels <shudder>
Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Becke, you asked me "how long does it take you to complete a book, on average? Have any of them been
particularly difficult to write?"

My first book took 5 years to complete, but now I can usually write a book in 5 months. A lot has to do with motivation. Now that I'm under contract, I don't have the luxury of waiting for the Muse to visit me, I have to lure her to my office with coffee and chocolate. :smileywink:

Murder of a Stacked Librarian, my newest release, was the most difficult to write. Being the 16th book in the series, there was a lot that had to be included. Add to this that I was trying to weave together a Christmas story, my sleuth's wedding, and a murder investigation, and it nearly drove me bonkers trying to fit it all in a 75,000 to 89,000 word book.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:
Scumble River is inspired by my hometown of Coal City, and two adjacent towns--Braidwood and Wilmington--smooshed together.

A lot of my characters, not just the victim, are inspired by people I've met. I usually take a couple of traits from one, a couple from another, and go from there.

Do your friends and family look for themselves in your books? Have you ever included one of them (disguised, of course) in any of your books?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:
I actually started out writing romance, I just never got any of those published. As with my mysteries, I was writing a heroine, setting, and style that New York publishers didn't think would sell. The heroine wasn't Barbie shaped, the setting was a small town in the Midwest instead of the south, and my style wasn't sweet--there was sex--but it wasn't erotic either--no BDSM, threesomes, etc. Now that indie publishing is more of an option, my plan is to publish the romances myself.

My hope is to write mystery and romance. I may end up writing one mystery a year instead of two, but I'll have to see how the things go.

The best thing about the growth of self-publishing is the availability of books that go outside the box. By your description, I'd say a book like this will appeal to a LOT of readers!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:

Becke, you asked me "how long does it take you to complete a book, on average? Have any of them been
particularly difficult to write?"

My first book took 5 years to complete, but now I can usually write a book in 5 months. A lot has to do with motivation. Now that I'm under contract, I don't have the luxury of waiting for the Muse to visit me, I have to lure her to my office with coffee and chocolate. :smileywink:

Murder of a Stacked Librarian, my newest release, was the most difficult to write. Being the 16th book in the series, there was a lot that had to be included. Add to this that I was trying to weave together a Christmas story, my sleuth's wedding, and a murder investigation, and it nearly drove me bonkers trying to fit it all in a 75,000 to 89,000 word book.

With all that pressure, I bet you needed the release of killing off a few characters! ;-)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:
Well there was the one in Texas the week it was 105 in the shade. Then there was the California one, when somehow I got scheduled to sign at store in a section of San Francisco that really opened my small-town girl eyes. :smileywink: Not to mention the delayed flights so that I was changing in the taxi as we headed toward my speaking engagement and don't get me started on the bad hotels <shudder>

Book tours sound kind of glamorous, but I guess there are definite downsides!

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

They all look for themselves and see themselves as the good guys--which isn't always the case.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:
They all look for themselves and see themselves as the good guys--which isn't always the case.

:-)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Denise - How has your life changed since the days when you were a new author? What are the highlights of being a multi-multi-published author?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Denise - How has your life changed since the days when you were a new author? What are the highlights of being a multi-multi-published author?

I guess I should also ask, What are the drawbacks of being a multi-published author?

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

One of the biggest life changes was being able to quit my day job. I was a school psychologist for 22 years, but just after book 7 was published, I finallly decided that I could afford to quit and write full time.

The highlights of being multi-published is expanding my readership. I love hearing from far flung readers who have been touched by my books.

The biggest drawback is the endless deadlines. There is very little time for the creative well to fill and no time to goof off.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:
One of the biggest life changes was being able to quit my day job. I was a school psychologist for 22 years, but just after book 7 was published, I finallly decided that I could afford to quit and write full time.

The highlights of being multi-published is expanding my readership. I love hearing from far flung readers who have been touched by my books.

The biggest drawback is the endless deadlines. There is very little time for the creative well to fill and no time to goof off.

I had no idea you'd been a psychologist! You're the third author I've met who has/had that career before (and in the other cases, during) changing to a career as a writer. Very cool!

As a psychologist, why do you think so many of us are drawn to books featuring mystery and murder? I don't think it's a longing for adventure because I'm a wimp (for the most part) in real life!

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

I think it might be the adventure and the challenge, but mainly I think it's the closure. Knowing the bad guy is caught and punished in the end is something we don't get too often in real live.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:
I think it might be the adventure and the challenge, but mainly I think it's the closure. Knowing the bad guy is caught and punished in the end is something we don't get too often in real live.

That makes sense. And in books, at least, you can almost always count on a satisfactory ending. It drives me crazy when TV shows have endings that either leave you hanging or when the bad guy gets away with it. That's painful!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thank you sooo much for joining us this week, Denise! I appreciate you patience while I was in Portland and en route back to Chicago, too.

Author
DeniseSwansonIL
0 Kudos

Thank you for inviting me, Becke! I had a great time.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DeniseSwansonIL wrote:
Thank you for inviting me, Becke! I had a great time.

Come back and visit again, Denise!