becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Featured Author DONIS CASEY!

This week's featured author, DONIS CASEY, is here at your request. I just finished her first book, and I definitely want to read more. If you're looking for a mystery set within the framework of American history, you should check these out!

You can find Donis here: http://www.doniscasey.com/

You can find reviews of her books here: http://www.doniscasey.com/?page_id=552

Donis Casey

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

http://www.poisonedpenpress.com/donis-casey/

Donis Casey is the author of six Alafair Tucker Mysteries. Her series, set in Oklahoma during the booming 1910s and featuring the sleuthing mother of ten children, has twice won the Arizona Book Award and has been a finalist for the Willa Award and the Oklahoma Book Award. Her first novel, The Old Buzzard Had It Coming, was named an Oklahoma Centennial Book.  Donis was born and raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and now lives with her husband, poet Donald Koozer, in Tempe, AZ.

Readers can enjoy the first chapter of each book on her web site atwww.doniscasey.com . Casey blogs each Saturday about mystery writing at www.typem4murder.blogspot.com, and about food and mysteries at www.fatalfoodies.blogspot.com.

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author DONIS CASEY!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This is her first book:

The Old Buzzard Had it Coming  

Description

Alafair Tucker is a strong woman, the core of family life on a farm in Oklahoma where the back-breaking work and daily logistics of caring for her husband Shaw, their nine children, and being neighborly requires hard muscle and a clear head. She’s also a woman of strong opinions, and it is her opinion that her neighbor, Harley Day, is a drunkard and a reprobate. So, when Harley’s body is discovered frozen in a snowdrift one January day in 1912, she isn’t surprised that his long-suffering family isn’t, if not actually celebrating, much grieving.

When Alafair helps Harley’s wife prepare the body for burial, she discovers that Harley’s demise was anything but natural—there is a bullet lodged behind his ear. Alafair is concerned when she hears that Harley’s son, John Lee, is the prime suspect in his father’s murder, for Alafair’s seventeen-year-old daughter Phoebe is in love with the boy. At first, Alafair’s only fear is that Phoebe is in for a broken heart, but as she begins to unravel the events that led to Harley’s death, she discovers that Phoebe might be more than just John Lee’s sweetheart: she may be his accomplice in murder.

Reviews

"As the mother of nine, Alafair Tucker's hard but basically peaceful life on a farm on the Oklahoma frontier in 1912 is changed forever when one of her daughters--17-year-old Phoebe--is involved in the murder of an obnoxious neighbor. Phoebe is the girlfriend of the chief suspect, the dead man's son, and might even have been his accomplice in the crime. Under Donis Casey's gifted hand and shrewd historic eye, Tucker adds solving a mystery to her busy schedule. It all could easily have gone soft and cute, especially the many long visits to the Tuckers' fellow farmers. But by avoiding all the built-in traps, Casey has produced a sharp and suspenseful first novel." --Dick Adler, Chicago Tribune (10 July 2005)

"As vivid and unforgettable as a crimson Oklahoma sunset" -- Carolyn Hart

"Donis Casey...gives us a tale full of wit, humor, sorrow and, more important, the truth. Her Alafair Tucker deserves to stand beside Ma Joad in literature's gallery of heroic ladies." --Tony Hillerman

"Life on the Oklahoma frontier in 1912 was anything but easy, yet Casey's sweet-tempered debut manages to make readers nostalgic for simpler times...the appealingly homey world Casey creates rings true. With so much going for her, readers will be right pleased to see a sequel." -- Publishers Weekly (6.6.2005)

"Alafair Tucker, a competent farm wife and sympathetic mother of nine, takes it in stride when twin daughter Phoebe brings handsome John Lee Day home. He's from the less prosperous neighboring farm, and his pa is a known drunk-as well as a wife and child beater. When Pa's corpse is found in the snow, Alafair, who helps the widow prepare the body, discovers that the man was shot. With John Lee as the prime suspect, she's afraid Phoebe may have been mixed up in murder, too. Set in 1912 Oklahoma, this first novel, which was named the Best Unpublished Mystery of 2004 by the Oklahoma Writers' Federation, should please even the most demanding fans of historicals with its authentic situations, fully drawn characters, and clever plotting. Casey, who holds an MLS, lives in Tempe, AZ." -- Library Journal

Mystery readers everywhere, rejoice! This first of the Alafair Tucker mysteries introduces an engaging new heroine to treasure. Set during the cold winter of 1912 on the Oklahoma frontier, Alafair Tucker is a farm wife and mother of nine. She determines to discover the murderer of an abusive neighbor, even when the clues point to his eldest son, who Alafair's daughter Phoebe loves and who is hiding in one of the family's outbuildings. Don't be misled by the unfortunate title and cover design. Casey's novel brims with wit, humor and the occasional devastating sorrow. Alafair and Shaw and their wholesome brood stand in sharp contrast to the murdered man and his family. Their children run through household duties as if sired by the Gold Shoe Bunny so their mom can work her investigation around the authorities and the expectations that she'll stay within her female sphere. She works those expectations to her own advantage. Alafair is naturally curious, wise, and a bit too courageous for her own good now and then, when she's also lucky. If the wholesome meter gets to tipping, a welcome touch of magical realism saves the novel from sentimentality. A deep pleasure to read, and a few of Alafaire's recipes are included! I can't wait." --Historical Mystery Society

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome DONIS CASEY!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Yes, welcome Donis.

I am pleased to recount that I got to meet you at last year's Cozy Con at the Phoenix Library, and also got to chat with you a bit at an author signing at the " Mystery Bookstore in Scottsdale". ( We aren't allowed to mention competition of Barnes and Noble on this site).

I enjoyed reading The Old Buzzard Had It Coming, especially in light of comments you made about life in Oklahoma during the time frame of the story. If I remember correctly, the setting was pretty close to the Enid area, and that is where  my parents met at college, and where I I was born.  I  still have some relatives there.

I really enjoy the Alafair character and wonder if you based her on someone in your family.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Yes, welcome Donis.

I am pleased to recount that I got to meet you at last year's Cozy Con at the Phoenix Library, and also got to chat with you a bit at an author signing at the " Mystery Bookstore in Scottsdale". ( We aren't allowed to mention competition of Barnes and Noble on this site).

I enjoyed reading The Old Buzzard Had It Coming, especially in light of comments you made about life in Oklahoma during the time frame of the story. If I remember correctly, the setting was pretty close to the Enid area, and that is where  my parents met at college, and where I I was born.  I  still have some relatives there.

I really enjoy the Alafair character and wonder if you based her on someone in your family.

I was fascinated with the details of family life - the laundry, the food, even the number of children people had then are so different from what we're used to today.

My grandfather spent some time in Oklahoma years ago. He wrote about it in a journal - I have it around here someplace, and I'll try to find it during Donis' visit. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Welcome, Donis, to the forum and I hope you have a great stay this week. I've never read any of your books but I will definitely check them out.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Donis, I'm so sorry you've had a hassle trying to sign in. Hopefully we can overpower the nasty B&N computer gnomes and get you in here soon!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I wasn't sure if Donis still lived in Oklahoma - I've been worried because of these awful tornadoes! But I checked her Facebook page and it looks like she lives in Arizona now. Whew!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Donis, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the conversation.  I'm not familiar with your books, but I'm looking forward to discovering more about them.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The score is gnomes 3, Donis 0. That means she's been trying for three days to sign in, without success. I'm soooo frustrated on her behalf! 

Since none of my tricks have worked, I told Donis if she wants to email me her responses, I'll post them here for her. Not ideal, but better than nothing. 

I think Donis deserves a big bouquet for all her efforts!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Please welcome DONIS CASEY!

I'm posting Donis' replies since she's been unable to sign in:

Thanks so much for having me, Becke.  I can’t tell you how honored I am to meet you all.  I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Yes, welcome Donis.

To Fricka from Donis:

Hi Fricka.  I’m sure I’d recognize your face, so be sure and say hi when next we meet. I’m so glad you liked “Buzzard”. Four of the six Alafair novels are set in eastern Oklahoma, near Muskogee, where Alafair and Shaw’s horse farm is location.  As a lucky coincidence, my great-grandfather’s farm was located in exactly the same place.  My father’s cousin and his family still live there.  Alafair is a composite of several women in my family, mainly my mother and my mother-in-law.  And a little bit of me, too, I confess.  

Fricka, have you read the fourth book in the series, “The Sky Took Him”? That book (which may be my favorite, as Alafair says about each of her children) is set entirely in Enid.  My husband is from Enid, and still has a lot of family there.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Yes, welcome Donis.

I was fascinated with the details of family life - the laundry, the food, even the number of children people had then are so different from what we're used to today.

My grandfather spent some time in Oklahoma years ago. He wrote about it in a journal - I have it around here someplace, and I'll try to find it during Donis' visit. 

From Donis:

Becke, my grandmother once told me that her father said to her that one reason he was able to put in so many crops was because he had so many children.  So there was some benefit to having a passel of kids.  My grandmother didn’t tell what her mother had to say about that.  And if you find that journal, let me know!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Welcome, Donis, to the forum and I hope you have a great stay this week. I've never read any of your books but I will definitely check them out.

Reply to maxcat from Donis:  Thanks, Maxcat!  I’m already enjoying myself.  I hope you do check out Alafair and her family and have a good time with them.  Let me know!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Donis, I'm so sorry you've had a hassle trying to sign in. Hopefully we can overpower the nasty B&N computer gnomes and get you in here soon!

From Donis:

Fortunately you’ve come to the rescue, Becke.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Donis - I hope you're out of the path of the tornadoes we've been hearing about today. Stay safe!!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/us/severe-weather/index.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/20/us-usa-tornadoes-idUSBRE94J0TK20130520

Reply from Donis:

You’re right, Becke, I live in Arizona, now. I was born and raised in Tulsa, my husband in Enid, and together we lived in Norman for many years.  I grew up on constant alert and have lived through many a storm myself, as has anyone from that part of the world, and I think the lurking fear affects your for the rest of your life, even after leaving the area, as we did.  I've spent the past couple of days checking with my many friends and relatives in OK and thus far everyone I've contacted is all right.  

One weird part of this for me is that The new Alafair book revolves around a tornado, and I had just finished writing about the storm.  I used some incidents from my sister's experience in the Joplin tornado. The people in OK are some of the kindest, friendliest people you'd ever want to meet, and it's a great place to grow up.  The likelihood that a tornado will get you is slim, but if it does, there's really no escape.  I'll be donating to local relief agencies, as I always do.

becke_davis

Ryan_G wrote:

Donis, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the conversation.  I'm not familiar with your books, but I'm looking forward to discovering more about them.

To Ryan from Donis:

Thanks, Ryan.  I hope you’ll have a look.