becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Featured Author ELIZABETH HAYNES!

This week our featured guest author is ELIZABETH HAYNES, who is new to the Mystery Forum.

Her website is here: http://www.elizabeth-haynes.com/

She's on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/elizabethjhaynes?fref=ts

And she's on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Elizjhaynes

Picture of me

Photo by Ryan and Jo Photography

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author ELIZABETH HAYNES!

About Elizabeth Haynes

My name is Elizabeth Haynes and I’m a writer living in Kent, in the South East of England.

I’ve been writing stories as long as I’ve been able to write. I remember my stories being passed around the playground at school, who knows – somebody reading this may remember that too. You may have chosen to forget. I bought a second-hand electric typewriter when I was about thirteen, possibly from a jumble sale, more likely from the Friday-Ad. It was supposed to be portable but I could barely lift it. I spent many a happy rainy weekend hammering out masterpieces on it, not having any clear purpose in mind, it was just something I had to do.

In October 2006 a friend introduced me to National Novel Writing Month ( www.nanowrimo.org ), the site I’d been waiting for all my life. It’s an annual challenge to write 50,000 words in the month of November. There is no grand prize other than the right to call yourself a novelist at the end of it; no reason to do it other than for the sense of achievement you get afterwards. The novel doesn’t have to be good, it just has to be written. And who knows, at the end of it you might have something worth editing. The whole point is just to get over writer’s block, to get over the self-doubt – to carry on even thought it feels like what’s being written is rubbish.

In 2005 I wrote a laughable serial killer-thriller in which the characters consisted entirely of people I knew. I also had two characters called Simon, which was a huge mistake. I thought I’d been extra clever, since in real life we all have friends with the same name, don’t we? But it doesn’t happen in novels, for a good reason. It’s horrendously confusing.

Nevertheless, I did it – I wrote 50,000 words in a month, the story had a beginning, a middle and an ending (although a hard disk failure meant I lost the last 5,000 words – learn from me – back up, back up, back up.)

In 2006 I had a very decent plot and some good characters. By the end of November I’d written more than 50,000 words and I was less than half way through the actual story.

In 2007 I cheated and carried on writing the 2006 novel, which hadn’t been touched for a year. I don’t recommend cheating at Nanowrimo, in whatever form. It’s not nearly so much fun. In any case, I got to the end of the month and I was up to 130,000 words and still hadn’t finished it.

In 2008 I wrote the first draft of Into the Darkest Corner. I enjoyed writing it, and at the beginning of December I thought my 56,000 words weren’t half bad. I left it alone for a few months and then started tinkering with it again, adding some scenes and moving other bits about. Two of my friends were badgered into reading it, and to my surprise they both liked it. I started wondering if it might actually be worth trying to edit it, to see if it was something I could actually send off. Unfortunately I’m useless at editing, so I got some help from Greg Mosse, who very kindly put me in touch with Myriad Editions, and after that things got very exciting indeed.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Into the Darkest Corner  

Into the Darkest Corner

Synopsis

Catherine has been enjoying the single life for long enough to know a good catch when she sees one. Gorgeous, charismatic, spontaneous – Lee seems almost too perfect to be true.

And her friends clearly agree, as each in turn falls under his spell.

But there is a darker side to Lee. His erratic, controlling and sometimes frightening behaviour means that Catherine is increasingly isolated. Driven into the darkest corner of her world, and trusting no one, she plans a meticulous escape. Four years later, struggling to overcome her demons, Catherine dares to believe she might be safe from harm. Until one phone call changes everything.

This is an edgy and powerful first novel, utterly convincing in its portrayal of obsession, and a tour de force of suspense.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dark Tide  

Due for release March 2012.

Elizabeth Haynes, author of the bestselling debut Into the Darkest Corner, returns with a tense, gripping thriller about a woman caught in an underworld of corruption and murder...

Genevieve has finally achieved her dream: to leave the stress of London behind and start a new life aboard a houseboat in Kent. She’s found the perfect vessel:Revenge of the Tide. She already feels less lonely; as if the boat is looking after her.

But the night of her boat-warming party, a body washes up, and to Genevieve’s horror, she recognizes the victim. She isn’t about to tell the police, though; hardly anyone knows about her past as a dancer at a private members’ club, The Barclay. The death can’t have anything to do with her. Or so she thinks...

Soon, the lull of the waves against Revenge feels anything but soothing, as Genevieve begins to receive strange calls and can’t reach the one person who links the present danger with her history at the club. Fearing for her safety, Genevieve recalls the moment when it all started to go wrong: the night she saw her daytime boss in the crowd at The Barclay...

Dark, sexy, and exquisitely chilling, Dark Tide is another superb mystery from acclaimed rising star Elizabeth Haynes.

Book Description

From the author of the acclaimed New York Times bestseller Into the Darkest Corner comes another page-turning novel of "gripping suspense" (Wall Street Journal).

Genevieve has finally escaped the stressful demands of her sales job and achieved her dream: to leave London behind and begin a new life aboard a houseboat in Kent. Not many people know that she financed her fresh start by working weekends as a dancer at a less-than-reputable gentlemen's club called the Barclay, and she's determined to keep it that way.

But on the night of her housewarming party the past intrudes when a body washes up beside the boat, and Genevieve recognizes the victim, a fellow dancer from the Barclay.

As the sanctuary of the marina is threatened, and Genevieve's life seems increasingly at risk, the story of how she came to be so out of her depth unfolds, and she discovers the hard way the real cost of mixing business with pleasure. . . .

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome ELIZABETH HAYNES!

Author
ElizabethHaynes
0 Kudos

Thank you for the warm welcome Becke, and hi everyone! Really looking forward to hearing from you over the next few days. 

xx

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Hi, Elizabeth, Welcome, I hope that you have a great visit.

I like the titles of your books. I will have to check them out.

Again welcome, and have a great visit.

ReadingPatti

Author
ElizabethHaynes
0 Kudos

Thank you Patti! You'll have to let me know what you think. Titles are always a big struggle for me.
E x
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Elizabeth, welcome to the Mystery Forum. I haven't read any of your books but they do sound interesting and I'll check them out. Have a wonderful week.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Elizabeth! I loved reading your bio - I've "won" NaNoWriMo several times now, although none of the stories are ready to submit. (They may never be!) I love the craziness of NaNo, even though I often end up with mistakes in continuity and plots that are as full of holes as a crocheted quilt!

I was also excited to see that you live in Kent. My husband was born in Dulwich Hospital and grew up in Kent. When we were first married we lived in Kent - technically, Greater London - for seven years. I loved it there! We lived in Erith, which wasn't very nice then but I understand it's been fixed up a lot now, and in Bexleyheath, which was pretty nice then but I hear has declined since a big shopping mall opened shortly after we moved back to the U.S.

What made you want to try houseboat living? How do you like it?

Author
ElizabethHaynes
0 Kudos

Hi Becke!

Always lovely to meet someone with Kent connections. My husband worked in Erith for a few years (for a US company, ADM) and I covered it and Bexleyheath as part of my territory when I worked as a medical rep, years ago.

Where I live is a bit more rural. I live very close to the river Medway, near Rochester, which has many houseboats and residential marinas dotted along its banks. I have never owned or lived on a boat myself but I find the idea fascinating, and thought that a boat would make a great setting for a mystery. In the bright sunshine the boats look like a fabulous place to live, but in a dark, cold November with the wind blowing up from the estuary it's a different story altogether....

E xx
Author
ElizabethHaynes
0 Kudos

Thank you maxcat! Lovely to meet you. x
becke_davis
0 Kudos

ElizabethHaynes wrote:
Hi Becke!

Always lovely to meet someone with Kent connections. My husband worked in Erith for a few years (for a US company, ADM) and I covered it and Bexleyheath as part of my territory when I worked as a medical rep, years ago.

Where I live is a bit more rural. I live very close to the river Medway, near Rochester, which has many houseboats and residential marinas dotted along its banks. I have never owned or lived on a boat myself but I find the idea fascinating, and thought that a boat would make a great setting for a mystery. In the bright sunshine the boats look like a fabulous place to live, but in a dark, cold November with the wind blowing up from the estuary it's a different story altogether....

E xx

I know Rochester very well! I've even been in the castle, back when it was safe for visitors. My husband has relatives in Gillingham (Kent) - we used to go there a lot!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ElizabethHaynes wrote:
Hi Becke!

E xx

Sorry - I misunderstood. I thought you were living on a houseboat now!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's more about Rochester Castle, for those of you who haven't been there:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/rochester-castle/

http://home2.btconnect.com/Crusader-Product/Rochester-Castle.html

Apparently it is still open to the public. I was thinking they'd closed it, since it was pretty scary the last time I went inside it, probably thirty years ago. But then the last time I went to Stonehenge they weren't allowing visitors inside and, as I understand it, now they've opened it to the public again.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome Elizabeth!

Sorry I am late to the party. I just finished reading INTO THE DARKEST CORNER the other day. I really enjoyed it and found it to be a real page-turner. Exceptionally good, as a matter of fact! Can't wait to read some of your other books.

Hope you enjoy your visit with us and have a Happy New Year!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Elizabeth - Can you tell us anything about the book you're working on now?

Scribe
ReadingPatti

Hi Elizabeth, I found one of your books online. I can get it free for my Nook. I am looking forward to reading it.

ReadingPatti