Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ElizabethHaynes
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author ELIZABETH HAYNES!

Hey Eadie, thanks for your comment. I'd love to know what you think of Dark Tide, which is coming out in the US soon. It's very different from Into the Darkest Corner. I wanted my heroine to be very different from Catherine, so Genevieve isn't scared of anything. She's quite feisty and this also makes her a bit naive, so she ends up getting herself into trouble. I like her though - I wish I was a bit braver sometimes! E xx
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

ElizabethHaynes wrote:
Hey Eadie, thanks for your comment. I'd love to know what you think of Dark Tide, which is coming out in the US soon. It's very different from Into the Darkest Corner. I wanted my heroine to be very different from Catherine, so Genevieve isn't scared of anything. She's quite feisty and this also makes her a bit naive, so she ends up getting herself into trouble. I like her though - I wish I was a bit braver sometimes! E xx

I will definitely check out Dark Tide and let you know what I think. You are probably more braver than you think. Putting your writing out there is a very brave thing to do!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

ElizabethHaynes wrote:

I love that her fearlessness has made Genevieve a bit naive - you've intrigued me!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Elizabeth and thanks for visiting with us. You're a new author to me. What is it about the mystery genre that appeals to you as an author?

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Elizabeth

Your books sound very intrigueing.  Will definately get one (or more) for my TBR pile. 

And being from central Illinois I know ADM...Don't know too much about Kent though.  I have visited England and have been near Kent...

Keep writing!

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Elizabeth - I love to hear authors' "call" stories. Would you tell us about when you received the call - or email - letting you know your first book had sold?

Author
ElizabethHaynes
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie! That's an interesting question. I always loved reading mystery genre novels, starting with Agatha Christie and moving on to people like Ruth Rendell, Val McDermid and John Harvey (can highly recommend those if anyone hasn't read them), but I never felt like I would have the plot ideas to write something like that. I used to write romance for fun. Then in 2004 I started working for the police and then I realised I had a frame of reference for writing about crime, and I could bring an element of authenticity to it because it became a world I knew about and understood. Also, I realised that a lot of the crime stories I read were quite inaccurate from a procedural point of view and this is really frustrating! So I thought I would have a try at writing a crime thriller when I first tackled NaNoWriMo in 2005, and I loved it. It was much more exciting to write than romance, which can be thrilling but in a completely different way. I wrote because I wanted to find out what was going to happen. Hope that answers your question! E x
Author
ElizabethHaynes
0 Kudos

Thank you J! Hope you get to visit Kent one day. It's nice here. Kent is called the Garden of England because it's quite agricultural, although our fields are a lot smaller than the ones in Illinois (from what my husband tells me, having had some training in Decatur!) It's quite green here too as you know but that's because it rains a lot. Thanks for considering me for your TBR - I know what the pressure of a big TBR pile feels like! E x
Author
ElizabethHaynes
0 Kudos

Hey Becke! Your question brought back some happy memories! My manuscript for Into the Darkest Corner went to Myriad Editions in August 2009 and they emailed me to say they were 'intrigued' by how I planned to take the story forward. I went to have a meeting with them and my future editor Vicky gave me some really useful ideas about how I could develop things. (Believe me, if you could see my first draft to compare it to the edited final version, you would see just how much of an impact Vicky had on my story). I honestly thought they were just giving me some helpful advice on how to make it better. I showed them my next draft and they invited me back to talk about it. Vicky took me across the road to Starbucks and bought me a coffee and a caramel waffle biscuit. I think she realised I was going to need the sugar to recover from the shock. She said "we really like it and we want to offer you a contract to publish it". I could not believe it - I had no idea they were thinking of it in that way. It sounds really daft to me now! I phoned my husband on the way home and he was just so thrilled too. I still get goosebumps thinking about that day - it feels like such an amazing opportunity still, I can't quite believe it happened to me. E x
becke_davis
0 Kudos

ElizabethHaynes wrote:
Hey Becke! Your question brought back some happy memories! My manuscript for Into the Darkest Corner went to Myriad Editions in August 2009 and they emailed me to say they were 'intrigued' by how I planned to take the story forward. I went to have a meeting with them and my future editor Vicky gave me some really useful ideas about how I could develop things. (Believe me, if you could see my first draft to compare it to the edited final version, you would see just how much of an impact Vicky had on my story). I honestly thought they were just giving me some helpful advice on how to make it better. I showed them my next draft and they invited me back to talk about it. Vicky took me across the road to Starbucks and bought me a coffee and a caramel waffle biscuit. I think she realised I was going to need the sugar to recover from the shock. She said "we really like it and we want to offer you a contract to publish it". I could not believe it - I had no idea they were thinking of it in that way. It sounds really daft to me now! I phoned my husband on the way home and he was just so thrilled too. I still get goosebumps thinking about that day - it feels like such an amazing opportunity still, I can't quite believe it happened to me. E x

Wow! I've asked this question quite a few times over the years, and you're the FIRST author who got "the call" in person!! That must have been incredibly exciting! I love your editor's comment about you needing sugar to recover from the shock. I'm sure she was right!

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Into the Darkest Corner  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks for visiting with us this week, Elizabeth! Come back again when your next book comes out!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Elizabeth posted the cover of the Australian edition of Human Remains on Facebook today:

Author
ElizabethHaynes
0 Kudos

Thank you Becke, and thank you everyone for your warm welcome! Lots of love to you all xx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Elizabeth - This is "your" thread now so you're welcome to post news and updates here anytime. Also, if you put me on your newsletter list, I'll post it here (if formatting allows) whenever I get email updates.

Have a great week!