Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author JEAN HARRINGTON!

ABOUT JEAN

Writing has me hooked though the realization was a long time coming. As a child I wanted to be a foreign correspondent when I grew up. I must have been a romantic even then, but reality set in and instead I went to the exotic University of Rhode Island for a degree in English literature and stayed on as a teaching assistant while I earned my master’s degree. 

In the meantime, I married John (he loves it when my heroes have his name), and we have two grown children, Mary Lee and Chris, and three granddaughters, Amy, Laura and Carolyn. 

After URI and a stint writing PR and advertising copy, I taught writing and lit for seventeen years at Becker College in Worcester, Massachusetts. This period of my life was stimulating and fun, but all the while I was teaching, simmering on the back burner of my brain was the desire to return to my first love—writing. 

So when I left Becker and moved to Florida with Big John, the gig was up. I began to write and write and write, and, well, you get the picture . . . . My first two novels were Irish historicals, and then I turned to murder. As a result, I’m now hip deep in dead (fictional) bodies and loving every minute of it. 

Excerpts from my books are included in this site, so do take a peek at them and if you like, let me know what you think. Would love hearing from you. Thanks for “listening.”

Jean Harrington

Jean is on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/JeanHarringtonNaples

Her website is here: http://www.jeanharrington.com/

And she's on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/jeanharrington1

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Killer Kitchens  

Overview

Book three of Murders by Design

Interior designer Deva Dunne just may have hit the jackpot. Sure, her new client Francesco Grandese talks tough and has shady friends, but he has the eye of a connoisseur, and a huge, empty mansion he wants her to decorate.

Deva's boyfriend, police lieutenant Victor Rossi, has misgivings about her promising job—especially when he accompanies her to one of Francesco's dinner parties. After Francesco returns a dish to the kitchen untasted, the chauffeur promptly scarfs it down and drops dead from cyanide poisoning.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Review of KILLER KITCHENS:

Killer Kitchens by Jean Harrington. Published by Carina

http://cayocosta72.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/killer-kitchens-by-jean-harrington-published-by-carina/

Deva Dunn has an exciting new designing job. She has been hired to decorate an entire mansion by its new owner, Francesco Grandise. But Francesco’s past is sketchy and Deva’s cop boyfriend, Victor, wants her off the job. His concerns seem to be justified when the two attend a dinner party at the mansion and the chauffeur dies after eating an entree. Just who was supposed to die? The chauffeur, Francesco or someone a little closer to home?

A delightfully zany mystery. Deva is a hoot and her boyfriend is to die for.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Welcome back, Jean!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Yes, welcome back, Jean. I liked the cover for  The Barefoot Queen very much. So many times it seems covers don't always match with either the book title or the actual description of the characters in the book. Which book cover of yours is your favorite so far, and how much imput do you have on your book cover art?

The Barefoot Queen  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jean - What inspired you to write your design series? Are you artistic that way yourself?

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Jean, I have read the Monet Murders and loved it. I would like to get more of your books. Thanks for being here this week.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Thanks for saying you loved The Monet Murders.  It was fun to write, so I hope people find it fun to read.  Someone asked me which character in the book is my favorite, and of course I love 'em all.  But Ilona, the gorgeous trophy wife with the Hungarian accent and the Nobel prize-winning ancestor has a special place in my heart.  And in Trevor's too.  He's her husband and "bought" her for $300,000  from a marriage broker.  No kidding!

Jean Harrington
becke_davis
0 Kudos

JeanHarrington wrote:

Thanks for saying you loved The Monet Murders.  It was fun to write, so I hope people find it fun to read.  Someone asked me which character in the book is my favorite, and of course I love 'em all.  But Ilona, the gorgeous trophy wife with the Hungarian accent and the Nobel prize-winning ancestor has a special place in my heart.  And in Trevor's too.  He's her husband and "bought" her for $300,000  from a marriage broker.  No kidding!

Jean - What are you working on now?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I don't want to bombard you with questions, but I'm curious - do you have a favorite among your own books? Was one easier (or harder) to write than the others?

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

HI, Jean, welcome, hope that you have a great visit. I have to check out your books.

They look interesting. I do like the cover the Barefoot Queen. THat cover just fits the title.

So have a great visit.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

HI, Jean, welcome, hope that you have a great visit. I have to check out your books.

They look interesting. I do like the cover the Barefoot Queen. THat cover just fits the title.

So have a great visit.

ReadingPatti

I like the Killer Kitchens cover, too - it definitely caught my eye!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh no! I just saw this on Facebook:

Okay, this must be a self-fulfilling prophesy. My mystery Killer Kitcens was released today. This was my big day for blogging, posting, social networking. Guess what? I slipped on my wet kitchen--yes, kitchen--floor and sprained my ankle. Went to a local Urgent Care and had it X-ray-ed. Good news, no break. Bad news, bad sprain. I'm been sitting with ice on my foot all afternoon--but enough whining. Life is good And so is Killer Kitchens. All right, tit's the pain killer that made me say that. Cheers and happy dreams everybody.

New User
Lynnette1
0 Kudos

Jean, as always, your incredible wit and humor come through! :smileyhappy: I can't wait to read Killer Kitchens and have it at the top of my TBR pile!

Lynnette Hallberg

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Jean:

Your books look very interesting. I'll have to check them out. I think I'll start with Designed for Death. Thanks for visiting with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

What I'm working on now is #5 in the Murders by Design Series.  Carina Press has already accepted the mss. for #4, Rooms to Die For.  Hope we can keep the title--I'm kind of in love with it!  Thanks for asking. 

Jean Harrington
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Am I artistic?  Hmm.  To some degree I must be, though I haven't thought of myself in that way.  Words have always fascinated me, but so does visual art.  As for music, I love lounge songs "Why was i born."--that kind of thing, so no high artistic leanings there.  And I dance with two left feet.  But I am something of a wordsmith.  I hope that counts.

Jean Harrington
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lynnette1 wrote:

Jean, as always, your incredible wit and humor come through! :smileyhappy: I can't wait to read Killer Kitchens and have it at the top of my TBR pile!

Just a Little White Lie  

Moonlight, Motorcycles and Bad Boys  

Night Shadows  

Chantilly Lace and a Pretty Face  

Thanks so much for joining us, Lynnette!