becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author JOANNA CAMPBELL SLAN!

Okay, the gnomes are attacking my computer. I've been trying to respond to a comment about Madeleine L'Engle and now I don't see it at all. Since I was trying to comment and it didn't go through, I wonder if I somehow managed to delete it. Argh!!! It's definitely Monday!

Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

Check it out! I have credited the readers as I have used their sentences.
Author of the Kiki Lowenstein Mystery Series (Agatha Award finalist), The Jane Eyre Chronicles, and (writing as "Lila Dare") the fourth book in the Southern Beauty Shop Mystery Series.
Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

That elfin magic is strong stuff, Becke.
Author of the Kiki Lowenstein Mystery Series (Agatha Award finalist), The Jane Eyre Chronicles, and (writing as "Lila Dare") the fourth book in the Southern Beauty Shop Mystery Series.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joanna_Campbell_Slan wrote:
That elfin magic is strong stuff, Becke.

I went to your blog - you have some very talented Facebook friends! I wonder if this little exercise will start any of them on the road to being writers?

Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

You never know, Becke. It's been a fun project for me, certainly. And I'd recommend it to any would-be author or author for helping break out of a rut.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You never know, Becke. It's been a fun project for me, certainly. And I'd recommend it to any would-be author or author for helping break out of a rut.

It's a great way to widen your fan base and bring people to your site. Brilliant idea - and it's a fun story, too!

Reader 2
CarterkidCO
0 Kudos

Hi, Joanna -- I have Paper, Scissors, Death on my nightstand and am looking forward to reading it. I'm not a craft person--my attempts at anything always look "homemade" instead of "handmade" so I'm always interested in what other people can do.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I had that kind of a childhood for years, and it was books that allowed me to escape it all.  It's amazing, how a world someone else created can take you out of your reality for even a little while.  Thankfully, that bit of "away time" can be what it takes to survive such an upbringing.

I grew up in a violent, chaotic home with alcoholic parents. Early on, I found a copy of Jane Eyre and thought, "Gee, if she could find a way to change her life, so can I!" So Jane Eyre was, in my mind, the book that saved my life. Writing an extension of it was a delight. 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Eadie, if you're willing to check them out, it's already been a great visit! Are you a writer, too?

Joanna:

Well, I checked out your books and I'm going to start with Death of a Schoolgirl. I like to read series in order too!

No, I am not a writer - just an avid reader! I know that it says that I am an Inspired Wordsmith next to my name but that is just an earned title according to how many postings you have made here on the mystery blogs.

Continue to write and I promise to continue reading! Thanks again for visiting!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Joanna, Welcome, Hope you have a great visit. I am going to read you books. I love the Jane Eyre theme.

It sounds really interesting.

Again, welcome and have a great visit.

ReadingPatti

Author
NancyJCohenFL
0 Kudos

You're amazingly prolific. I love your Jane Eyre Chronicles and can't wait to read your new book, Death of a Dowager! I'm also getting into Kiki's stories. You have so many great ideas.

Nancy J. Cohen
Author of the Bad Hair Day Mysteries
and the Drift Lords Series

Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

My readers are wonderful--and we do all sorts of cool stuff together. I tell them they are my "peeps."
Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

I've heard from so many readers that they are NOT crafty, but they still enjoy Kiki. I try to strike a balance so that my crafty readers are happy and my "anything but crafts" readers are too. Did you know there are also Kiki short stories?
Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

I wish that schools could do more to help kids realize that a book is a ticket out of here! Too often, kids think of reading as a chore when it's one of life's great pleasures.
Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

Good for you! The world needs more avid readers. If we had them, people would be more compassionate. They would see the world through the eyes of others--and not just from their own limited perspectives.
Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

Patti, I have discussion questions for "Death of a Schoolgirl" and I'm working to put up some for "Death of a Dowager." Even if you aren't part of a book club, they might be interesting to you. Look for them on my website. www.JoannaSlan.com
Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

That's a high compliment from you, Nancy. Your Drift Lords series is such a unique concept. Shoot, I just went back in history but you created a whole new world! Remind me what the title of the most recent one is, please?
Author
NancyJCohenFL
0 Kudos

Re your remark about encouraging kids to read, I'd addressed this topic over at The Kill Zone where I blog every other week. I said that children should be allowed to read popular fiction in school besides classical works. Teachers responded that they schedule "free read" times, where kids can choose their own books. So that is great to know. I'm over at the Kill Zone again tomorrow:

Nancy J. Cohen

Author
NancyJCohenFL
0 Kudos

Re the Drift Lords: Warrior Rogue is my most recent title in this paranormal series based on Norse mythology. The series starts with Warrior Prince, and that story has a murder in it for you mystery fans out there. These tales have myth, magic, adventure, and romance. If you're looking for an escape, check them out. Warrior Rogue should be available for the Nook on April 26.

Nancy J. Cohen

Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

You are so right, Nancy. I remember when my son had a "free" reading assignment to choose any author he wanted. He chose Michael Crichton (sp) and went on to read every book that man wrote. But his teacher complained that Crichton wasn't well-reviewed! So there were two messages there.