Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author JOANNA CAMPBELL SLAN!

Ryan_G wrote:

I had that kind of a childhood for years, and it was books that allowed me to escape it all.  It's amazing, how a world someone else created can take you out of your reality for even a little while.  Thankfully, that bit of "away time" can be what it takes to survive such an upbringing.

Joanna_Campbell_Slan wrote:

I grew up in a violent, chaotic home with alcoholic parents. Early on, I found a copy of Jane Eyre and thought, "Gee, if she could find a way to change her life, so can I!" So Jane Eyre was, in my mind, the book that saved my life. Writing an extension of it was a delight. 

I was the oldest of five kids in a loud, chaotic household. Books were an escape for me, if in a slightly different way.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

CarterkidCO wrote:

Hi, Joanna -- I have Paper, Scissors, Death on my nightstand and am looking forward to reading it. I'm not a craft person--my attempts at anything always look "homemade" instead of "handmade" so I'm always interested in what other people can do.

Thanks so much for joining us!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

NancyJCohenFL wrote:

You're amazingly prolific. I love your Jane Eyre Chronicles and can't wait to read your new book, Death of a Dowager! I'm also getting into Kiki's stories. You have so many great ideas.

Thanks so much for joining us, Nancy!

Killer Knots  

Perish by Pedicure  

Dead Roots  

Shear Murder  

Silver Serenade  

Moonlight Rhapsody  

Permed To Death (Bad Hair Day Mystery 1)  

Body Wave (Bad Hair Day Mystery 4)  

Highlights To Heaven (Bad Hair Day Mystery 5)  

Died Blonde (Bad Hair Day Mystery 6)  

Dead Roots (Bad Hair Day Mystery 7)  

Killer Knots (Bad Hair Day Mystery 9)  

Murder By Manicure (Bad Hair Day Mystery 3)  

Wicked Women Whodunnit  

Hair Raiser  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've heard from so many readers that they are NOT crafty, but they still enjoy Kiki. I try to strike a balance so that my crafty readers are happy and my "anything but crafts" readers are too. Did you know there are also Kiki short stories?

Are the short stories available for Nook?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I wish that schools could do more to help kids realize that a book is a ticket out of here! Too often, kids think of reading as a chore when it's one of life's great pleasures.

It's frustrating, because I always dreaded reading the "required" books. When I reread them years later, I liked them, but I hated being told I HAD to read something.

It's sad because libraries - including school libraries - are losing funding. When I was a kid finding a new library was like finding a pirate's cave full of treasure.

Author
NancyJCohenFL
0 Kudos

Hi, Becke. I'll have to remember to pop in more often.

I just finished Kiki Lowenstein and the Empty Heart. Here's a brief blurb: Kiki ponders the past of Mrs. Lieberman who volunteers at her local synagogue. The older woman seems to really enjoy working with the children. But it’s not until the lady suffers a medical setback that Kiki really learns about her life. This short story is a heartwarming tale that will lift your spirits.

Nancy J. Cohen
Author of the Bad Hair Day Mysteries
and the Drift Lords Series

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Good for you! The world needs more avid readers. If we had them, people would be more compassionate. They would see the world through the eyes of others--and not just from their own limited perspectives.

Joanna - I just realized I neglected to tell you about the "quote" feature. If you want to reply to a specific post, go to that post and click "reply" in the lower right corner. Then when you go to make a comment, click "Quote" and the original comment SHOULD appear with a line under it.

Click "Add Product" if you want to add book or Nook links.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

That elfin magic is strong stuff, Becke.

Joanna has a Resident Gnome looking over her shoulder!

joanne photo 1.JPG
Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

That's the beauty of a book--it is a friend in need and non-judgmental (sp? I need SpellCheck!) at that. Five kids? I think that would make for wonderful family reunions but a lot of noise!
Author of the Kiki Lowenstein Mystery Series (Agatha Award finalist), The Jane Eyre Chronicles, and (writing as "Lila Dare") the fourth book in the Southern Beauty Shop Mystery Series.
Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

I understand the necessity for "required" books, but if kids aren't allowed to find what appeals to each of them, they won't develop a personal relationship with books.
Author of the Kiki Lowenstein Mystery Series (Agatha Award finalist), The Jane Eyre Chronicles, and (writing as "Lila Dare") the fourth book in the Southern Beauty Shop Mystery Series.
Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

Nancy, that's taken from a true story that happened in a temple we attended.
Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

They can be viewed on a Nook by using the Calibre program.

becke_davis wrote:

I've heard from so many readers that they are NOT crafty, but they still enjoy Kiki. I try to strike a balance so that my crafty readers are happy and my "anything but crafts" readers are too. Did you know there are also Kiki short stories?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

They can be viewed on a Nook by using the Calibre program.

becke_davis wrote:

I'm not very tech-minded, Joanna, and I'm not familiar with Calibre. Is this it?

http://calibre-ebook.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

That's the beauty of a book--it is a friend in need and non-judgmental (sp? I need SpellCheck!) at that. Five kids? I think that would make for wonderful family reunions but a lot of noise!

The family get-togethers are REALLY noisy now that there are babies added to the mix.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joanna - What do you do when you Really Should Be Writing?

Also, if you don't mind, please tell us a little known fact about yourself.

Thank you!

Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

Becke, when "I really should be writing," I walk the beach. I pick up the most amazing thing. Seashells, and a message in a bottle even. It's amazing how it clears my mind and helps me see what I need to do next in my writing. Often I'll walk for a couple of hours!low qual sunset.JPG

Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

Oh, Becke! I'm sorry! I meant to hit "post" and now I can't delete the extra post!

Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

Little known fact: I took fourteen years of ballet, and my mother was a professional ballerina.

becke_davis wrote:

Thank you!

Becke, when "I really should be writing," I walk the beach. I pick up the most amazing thing. Seashells, and a message in a bottle even. It's amazing how it clears my mind and helps me see what I need to do next in my writing. Often I'll walk for a couple of hours!low qual sunset.JPG

Author
NancyJCohenFL
0 Kudos

You took Ballet? So did I! I went to National Music Camp in Interlochen MI for two summers to study ballet. I quit in high school when I had to make a career decision. Follow my dream to be a nurse or audition for a professional ballet company. Took it up again later just for the exercise. What made you quit?

Nancy J. Cohen
Author of the Bad Hair Day Mysteries
and the Drift Lords Series

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Little known fact: I took fourteen years of ballet, and my mother was a professional ballerina.

becke_davis wrote:

Thank you!

Was anything exciting in the bottle you found? I have lots of shells I've collected over the years - none collected close to home, unfortunately. When I lived in Cincinnati I frequently found fossils, though.