Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author JOANNA CAMPBELL SLAN!

Joanna_Campbell_Slan wrote:

Oh, Becke! I'm sorry! I meant to hit "post" and now I can't delete the extra post!

I think I deleted the extra message. I'm always nervous when I click "delete!"

becke_davis
0 Kudos

NancyJCohenFL wrote:

You took Ballet? So did I! I went to National Music Camp in Interlochen MI for two summers to study ballet. I quit in high school when I had to make a career decision. Follow my dream to be a nurse or audition for a professional ballet company. Took it up again later just for the exercise. What made you quit?

I'm impressed! 14 years of ballet for Joanna and Interlochen for Nancy. Very cool!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joanna - I'm not sure if I asked this, but are you doing any Barnes & Noble book signings this year?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm posting this for Joanna:

I have a special offer for book clubs: If any of your readers are involved with a qualifying book club that’s interested in discussing DEATH OF A DOWAGER, I have a special gift for the organizer:  a Jane Eyre pin. (The picture is attached.) To be a qualifying book club, there must be at least ten members and the organizer must share their email addresses with me. (Obviously the members must agree that I can add them to my email list!) I’ll also send the organizer enough bookmarks for all the book club members. Book club organizers can email me at JCSlan@JoannaSlan.com and put DoaD (DEATH OF A DOWAGER) in the subject line. The offer is good while supplies last! And I don’t have a lot of these pretty trinkets!

Joanna Campbell Slan

Author

www.JoannaSlan.com

pin2.JPG
becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's a little early, but...

Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

I just caught up on this thread, and I enjoyed learning so much about you, Joanna, that I didn't already know! Thanks for visiting.

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Beth_Groundwater wrote:

I just caught up on this thread, and I enjoyed learning so much about you, Joanna, that I didn't already know! Thanks for visiting.

Thanks for joining us, Beth!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joanna - I don't think I asked this already, but do you have stories in any mystery anthologies? I LOVE short stories, especially when they're mysteries!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Joanna - I don't think I asked this already, but do you have stories in any mystery anthologies? I LOVE short stories, especially when they're mysteries!

I saw an anthology of your stories on another site - will it be available through BN.com?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Joanna - Thank you so much for visiting with us this week! I hope a lot of our participants (both those who commented and all our silent friends here) will pick up a copy of your new book - or that they'll start at Book One and take it from there!

Have a wonderful weekend, and come back again soon!

Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

Hi, Becke, we're working on it! Originally the short stories were an experiment. I didn't expect them to be so popular--and the technology keeps changing. I hope to make them available for more platforms soon!

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I saw an anthology of your stories on another site - will it be available through BN.com?

Author of the Kiki Lowenstein Mystery Series (Agatha Award finalist), The Jane Eyre Chronicles, and (writing as "Lila Dare") the fourth book in the Southern Beauty Shop Mystery Series.
Frequent Contributor
Joanna_Campbell_Slan
0 Kudos

And Becke, these are the only short stories I've had published. Again, it was an experiment--and I wasn't even sure that I knew HOW to write short stories!

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Author of the Kiki Lowenstein Mystery Series (Agatha Award finalist), The Jane Eyre Chronicles, and (writing as "Lila Dare") the fourth book in the Southern Beauty Shop Mystery Series.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've been a fan of mystery short stories since I was a kid. I'll definitely check these out! :-)

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I grew up in a violent, chaotic home with alcoholic parents. Early on, I found a copy of Jane Eyre and thought, "Gee, if she could find a way to change her life, so can I!" So Jane Eyre was, in my mind, the book that saved my life. Writing an extension of it was a delight. 

I love that story, Joanna. It's just another reminder of how important books are. They really can change lives. Jane Eyre has always been a favorite of mine, too. Thanks to this forum and becke for giving infor on your book, I now have the book checked out of my local library

Death of a Schoolgirl (Jane Eyre Chronicles Series #1)  and am ready to start reading it.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I grew up in a violent, chaotic home with alcoholic parents. Early on, I found a copy of Jane Eyre and thought, "Gee, if she could find a way to change her life, so can I!" So Jane Eyre was, in my mind, the book that saved my life. Writing an extension of it was a delight. 

I love that story, Joanna. It's just another reminder of how important books are. They really can change lives. Jane Eyre has always been a favorite of mine, too. Thanks to this forum and becke for giving infor on your book, I now have the book checked out of my local library

Death of a Schoolgirl (Jane Eyre Chronicles Series #1)  and am ready to start reading it.

I'm reading that one too!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I agree - books really CAN change lives, and Joanna's story is proof of that!