becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Featured Author KATIA LIEF

This week we have a double-feature that is actually, in a way, a TRIPLE-feature. Katia Lief ia Part One of this week's feature. She's visited with us before - here are the links:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-Author-KATIA-LIEF/m-p/737339/highlight...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-by-Author-KATIA-LIEF/m-p/1354122/highlight...

Her website is here: http://www.katialief.com/index2.php

Katia Lief

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author KATIA LIEF

ABOUT KATIA

The first thing I ever wrote that received any notice was a one page story for my third grade English teacher. I don't recall what the assignment was, but I somehow found myself writing about a woman at a dinner party who suddenly realizes her teeth are invisible. She sits there, wedged between two chattering guests, wondering how she will eat, how she will talk, and generally how she will get out of the situation without having to open her mouth and reveal her dilemma. My teacher showed the story to my parents with a note to this effect:Katia could be a writer.

What if her note had instead encouraged me to be a dentist?

But it didn't. And so here I am.

I've been at it for a while and so far have published under three different names, in this order: Katia SpiegelmanKate PepperKatia Lief. At this point the best explanation I have for this triumvirate of identities can be found in my essay What's in a Name? which was mostly an attempt to explain it to myself.

Now, here, for you, in three nutshells:

Katia Spiegelman is the girl who was born in France to American parents, a musician and a teacher; who grew up along the East Coast with an older sister and younger brother; fled a boarding school by enrolling at Simon's Rock Early College at the age of fifteen; graduated from Sarah Lawrence College at the age of nineteen...and then ran off to Paris for lack of a better idea. Half a year later she returned to New York, got a job in publishing, followed by many other jobs in all kinds of businesses, earned a master's degree in literature and creative writing, and published two novels.

Kate Pepper is the front-woman who brought forth thrillers, when Katia Spiegelman had added Lief to her last name and decided the best way to stay home with her kids was to turn her love of writing into a paying job. Kate got the hang of it over four books, and then Katia decided it was time to take over...or as she told her husband, Oliver Lief, "I need to integrate."

Katia Lief is me: mother, novelist, teacher, reader, traveler, wise-cracker, insomniac, early morning grouch.

I have loved writing every one of my novels, and hope you will enjoy reading them.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Coming Events:

July 18-21
Theakston's Old Peculier Crime Writing Festival
Harrogate, UK

September 19-22
Bouchercon
Albany, NY

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Blogs, Interviews, Podcasts, Etc

Wwword: Profile
(interview, 1/28/12)

Criminal Minds: a virtual panel
(Katia blogs on "What's the Guiltiest Pleasure on Your Bookshelf?", 5/12/11)

Criminal Element: The Mechanics of Suspense 
(monthly blog column, 5/5/11)

Sea Minor: Dancing With Myself
(blog interview, 1/17/11)

The Brooklyn Eagle
(interview, 12/10/10)

Featured contributor to the blog My Book, The Movie
(11/28/10)

WHCR FM/NYC & KDEE FM/California
(The Adams Report, 11/29/10)

WFIN/Ohio Interview with Chris Oaks
(11/2/10)

Featured contributor to the blog The Page 69 Test
(11/8/10)

Featured contributor to the blog Writers Read
(Katia reviews the Stieg Larsson trilogy, 11/5/10)

Suspense Magazine

Bookfinds 
(interview, 10/21/10)

Killer Quiche
(Katia shares her recipe on Authors & Appetizers, 10/4/10)

Suspense Magazine (PDF)
(interview, 9/10)
"We don't often have the opportunity to see the excitement on the faces of publicists as they present new found treasures. Hearing about Katia's writing style, talent and personality first hand had us sold before the second drink was ordered and after reading her work, we're sure our fans will be sold too."(partial cover to right)

The Big Thrill webzine
(interview by Sandra Parshall, 8/22/10)

Heartbeat
(short story in Ellery Queen Magazine, 1/10)
EQMM debut short about a workplace relationship that sours during an office holiday party... [more]

Peppar Podcast
(blog interview, 2007)
Being a crime writer is serious business. Too serious, sometimes. I thought it was time to lighten up a little and so I accepted an invitation to be interviewed by the notorious, hilarious, possibly insane "Dr. Rajiv Peppar." (At least that's what he calls himself.) If you're ready for a good laugh, read [more].

In Memory of a Friend
(Mystery Scene Magazine, 2007)

What's in a Name?
(Divatribe, 2005)
My name is Katia. Her name is Kate. We live at the same address, share the same family, and write the same books. On the scale of professional accomplishment, one being failure and ten being success, I hover comfortably around two. Kate is restless closer to six and has her eye on nine, minimum. [more]

If The Shoe Fits
(Modern Mom, 2005)
"If I don't sell this novel, I'll open a shoe store." That's what I told my husband, and I meant it. Shoes were easy and fun—I quested for them on an intuitive level only a shoe lover would understand—whereas my career as a novelist, another passion, had been a struggle. [more]

First Pages
(Buzzle.com, 2005) 
Context, character and conflict—I call them "the three c's." They are the essential fictional elements a writer should braid together on the first page of a story or novel in the quest for a sparkling beginning. If you save all the good stuff for page fifty, but you haven't held your readers' attention, no one will ever find out what a great writer you are because they will have already put your work aside. [more]

She's Come Undone
(Working Mother, 5/03)

How to Wash a Gas Mask
(Salon, 12/01) 
Our gas masks arrived last week in a large box, from Zurich, with a packing slip marked both "urgent" and "economy." It was a contradiction much like the state of affairs here at home: the urgency of imagining, and preparing for, the worst; the economy of resuming our daily lives. [more]

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Katia's new release comes out on Tuesday. I was lucky enough to get an advance copy and I LOVED it! I've read most of Katia's other books and loved them, too. (I thought I'd read them all, but looks like I missed a couple ebooks!)

The Money Kill  

Karin Schaeffer and Mac MacLeary have settled into their lives in Brooklyn where they share a brownstone with their five-year-old son Ben and newly adopted thirteen-year-old daughter Dathi.

In what was seems like a routine job, Mac is hired by Cathy Millerhausen to investigate her billionaire husband's suspected infidelity. But by the look of it, Godfrey Millerhausen is faithful to his wife: the case is a dud. So when Mac is offered a high-paying "quickie" assignment in London, he wraps up the Millerhausen case to take what evolves into a family vacation culminating in a home exchange on the Mediterranean island of Sardinia, Italy along with their friend and assistant Mary Salter, and her teenage son Fremont.

Karin and Mac spend a few days together in England while Mary travels ahead to Italy with the three children. After completing the London job, Karin and Mac arrive at the Sardinia house where they find their family's belongings, but no trace of Mary or the kids.

A missing persons investigation is launched by the local police, whose low-key approach to law enforcement unnerves Karin and Mac. They decide to conduct their own investigation. When it occurs to them that the seemingly innocuous Millerhausen case could have something to do with their missing family, Mac returns home while Karin stays in Sardinia to keep searching.

With the help of his friend Detective Billy Staples, Mac follows the money into some surprising corners of Godfrey Millerhausen's life, barely surviving an elevator explosion when he gets too close to the truth. Back in Sardinia, Karin is nearly run off a cliffside road in a harrowing high-speed car chase. It becomes clear that someone is going to great lengths to try to stop Karin and Mac from unearthing details about the elusive billionaire.

By the end, Godfrey's misdeeds are darker than anyone imagined, involving an international conspiracy that summons law enforcement from around the globe.

When Karin and Mac return home with the family, they face a harsh new set of realities that both expands their family and challenges their faith in their own instincts. In a final blow, they learn that the real perpetrator of the crimes is someone they never suspected.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome KATIA LIEF!

photo PurpleFlowerWelcome.gif

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Katia, Welcome ! 

This book sounds great !  A really good mystery.  

What made you think of Sardinia ? It sounds like the perfect location. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Katia, Welcome ! 

This book sounds great !  A really good mystery.  

What made you think of Sardinia ? It sounds like the perfect location. 

It was nice reading about a place that was hot when it's so cold here. Read this book on a day you don't have anything else planned - you won't want to put it down until you're finished reading it. Lots of twists - and it's VERY suspenseful!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Katia:

I have read your book, You Are Next, and I also have a copy of Next Time You See Me in my TBR pile. Looks like I have a lot more to read in order to catch up!

Hope you have a great visit with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

An, Sardinia… I love to travel and a few years ago, planning our summer journeys, we decided to do a home exchange for the first time. Just like Karen and Mac end up doing in the book. I have never been to Sardinia and found the prospect of going there really exciting. It was a unique place where I found a lot of inspiration. I knew I had to write about it. And I also began to see all the possibilities for a mystery in the situation of exchanging your home with strangers. For us it worked out very well, and we adored the people we traded homes with, but for Karen and Mac of course it did not turn out so well. I better stop right there or I'll run into some spoilers.
Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke! I am so glad that you enjoyed the book. And it really is hot in Sardinia :-)
Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Hi Eadie. Take your time catching up with the books; I hope you enjoy them along the way.

I really like the Eleanor Roosevelt quote at the bottom of your post :-)
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Welcome back, Katia. Your new mystery sounds good. I will have to pick that one up.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

lovesreading1 wrote:
An, Sardinia… I love to travel and a few years ago, planning our summer journeys, we decided to do a home exchange for the first time. Just like Karen and Mac end up doing in the book. I have never been to Sardinia and found the prospect of going there really exciting. It was a unique place where I found a lot of inspiration. I knew I had to write about it. And I also began to see all the possibilities for a mystery in the situation of exchanging your home with strangers. For us it worked out very well, and we adored the people we traded homes with, but for Karen and Mac of course it did not turn out so well. I better stop right there or I'll run into some spoilers.

I know a lot of people do home exchanges but the concept always seemed a bit iffy to me. I'm sure your book will make people double and triple check before letting strangers into their homes! I've been to Italy and I loved it, but I was nervous because I spoke no Italian. Most Italians spoke at least some English but all I could do was call upon my Spanish and look for similarities. After reading THE MONEY KILL, I think I'd take a quick language course now before heading into uncharted waters! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

lovesreading1 wrote:
Thanks Becke! I am so glad that you enjoyed the book. And it really is hot in Sardinia :-)

I might feel differently when it's in the 100s here, but right now I'd LOVE some heat!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Katia - I didn't think it had been real long since you last visited with us, but you've written a lot of books in the meantime. Are you always this prolific? Or do some books just flow faster for you?

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Hi Maxcat...thanks for the welcome.  By the way, I like you're quote, too.  Now we've got Eleanor Roosevelt and John Updike represented :smileyhappy:

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Becke, well, to start with the idea of a home exchange, I have to say that I never thought I would do it.  It always seemed like too risky a proposition to have strangers in your house.  But then, one day, discussing an upcoming summer, our daughter wanted to take a big trip which we felt was just too expensive, and the idea of making it work with a home exchange came up.  We decided to check it out, and I posted a profile on an exchange site--and was immediately innundated with offers of fabulous home trades.  We chose Sardinia because it seemed exotic and we'd never been there (by the way, my husband speaks some Italian, so that was also handy).  Also, I had some things in common with the person proposing the trade; he turned out to be a well known graphic novelist, and we shared at least one publisher.  It felt very comfortable, and now he and his wife are our friends. The only real downside was that our cats didn't like having strangers in the house; they hid on a shelf most of the time and got really fat.  I love them too much to put them through that again, otherwise, I think I'd give it another try. (P.S. Today is my cats' birthdays...seven year old brothers. :cathappy:)

As for my being prolific, well, looking at that list of books you posted here seems surprising even to me.  I'm not writing any faster, but I am getting older...and as the years pile up, so do the books....

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

What a great story idea with the home exchange. Plus you met another author and became friends perfect !  I haven't been to Italy yet but my daughter was in Florence for a semester abroad. We do plan to go together at some point in the future. I would like to see Sardinia too !