Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author KATIA LIEF

lovesreading1 wrote:

Becke, well, to start with the idea of a home exchange, I have to say that I never thought I would do it.  It always seemed like too risky a proposition to have strangers in your house.  But then, one day, discussing an upcoming summer, our daughter wanted to take a big trip which we felt was just too expensive, and the idea of making it work with a home exchange came up.  We decided to check it out, and I posted a profile on an exchange site--and was immediately innundated with offers of fabulous home trades.  We chose Sardinia because it seemed exotic and we'd never been there (by the way, my husband speaks some Italian, so that was also handy).  Also, I had some things in common with the person proposing the trade; he turned out to be a well known graphic novelist, and we shared at least one publisher.  It felt very comfortable, and now he and his wife are our friends. The only real downside was that our cats didn't like having strangers in the house; they hid on a shelf most of the time and got really fat.  I love them too much to put them through that again, otherwise, I think I'd give it another try. (P.S. Today is my cats' birthdays...seven year old brothers. :cathappy:)

As for my being prolific, well, looking at that list of books you posted here seems surprising even to me.  I'm not writing any faster, but I am getting older...and as the years pile up, so do the books....

Happy Birthday to your cats! It's funny you should mention that - my daughter, who lives in Florida, has three cats. Whenever she comes to visit, she has trouble finding cat sitters. We've gone so far as to send friends of hers down there to stay at her place while she comes up here. The cats don't need a lot of attention, and she lives close to Disney World so her friends are eager to help out. Taking care of her cats, bringing in her mail, etc. is a small price to pay for a free visit to Florida!

We once had a house-sitter, for much the same reason. We were going away for a couple weeks and we needed someone to take care of our (then) dog and three cats. I was friends with the principal of my kids' elementary school, and she knew a teacher who needed a place to stay for the summer. We didn't know anything about her, but we trusted the principal. It worked out great! Not quite a home exchange, but it did feel odd inviting a stranger to stay in our house.

On the other hand, we have friends in England who regularly do home exchanges with people in France and Spain. Hopefully they check out the families first!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Katia - Do you remember what inspired you to use the home exchange scenario in this story? It's a very cool idea!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sorry to pester you with questions, but I have another one: What is the hardest part of the writing process for you? What's your favorite part?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Congratulations! If I remember correctly, today is your official release date!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

Becke, thank you for that gorgeous glittering Congratulations.  I love it!  Yes, today is the official publication date of The Money Kill.

You asked me what gave me the idea to write about a home exchange.  Well, it was in the process of arranging my family's home exchange, thinking about how much could potentially go wrong, when it struck me what a great opportunity it would be for a thriller.  There are just so many unknowns involved.  I do tend to find that my ideas somehow spring from the prosaic moments of my life.  For example, the idea for Karin Schaeffer, the heroine of my series (of which The Money Kill is number four) came from reading a newspaper article one morning, lying on the couch in my robe...

As for what is the hardest part of writing for me, I think it's the early phase of building momentum once I've organized my idea and need to transition into long intense days of writing.  I love those solitary, quiet days, but it takes a bit of a push to get myself to sit at the computer all day again after I've had a break from it.  Once I get going, though, I hate to tear myself away; for that reason, I always try to clear the decks before I sink my teeth into writing a new novel.  Once the momentum builds, I don't want to stop.

My favorite part of writing is when I'm completely in the zone, characters are bossing their way around the page, and scenes that I see in my mind come to life in a scene.  That is just pure bliss.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

lovesreading1 wrote:

Becke, thank you for that gorgeous glittering Congratulations.  I love it!  Yes, today is the official publication date of The Money Kill.

You asked me what gave me the idea to write about a home exchange.  Well, it was in the process of arranging my family's home exchange, thinking about how much could potentially go wrong, when it struck me what a great opportunity it would be for a thriller.  There are just so many unknowns involved.  I do tend to find that my ideas somehow spring from the prosaic moments of my life.  For example, the idea for Karin Schaeffer, the heroine of my series (of which The Money Kill is number four) came from reading a newspaper article one morning, lying on the couch in my robe...

As for what is the hardest part of writing for me, I think it's the early phase of building momentum once I've organized my idea and need to transition into long intense days of writing.  I love those solitary, quiet days, but it takes a bit of a push to get myself to sit at the computer all day again after I've had a break from it.  Once I get going, though, I hate to tear myself away; for that reason, I always try to clear the decks before I sink my teeth into writing a new novel.  Once the momentum builds, I don't want to stop.

My favorite part of writing is when I'm completely in the zone, characters are bossing their way around the page, and scenes that I see in my mind come to life in a scene.  That is just pure bliss.

The momentum in this book built so effectively that I didn't get a thing done over the weekend until I'd finished reading it! I love it when authors catch me by surprise and this book had lots of exciting twists and turns!

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

lovesreading1 wrote:

The momentum in this book built so effectively that I didn't get a thing done over the weekend until I'd finished reading it! I love it when authors catch me by surprise and this book had lots of exciting twists and turns!

I'm so glad to hear that! It's exactly what I hope to hear.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've had this happen before with your books, Katia!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Katia - What is a little-known fact about you?

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

A little known fact about me?  Here's one:  I was a dance major in college before switching to writing.  For about three years in my teens I was convinced I would grow up and be a dancer.  At the same time, I was also writing fiction.  Finally, midway through college, a writing professor suggested that I make up my mind.  He said he thought I could be a writer if I wanted to, and as it happened, I was feeling dissatisfied with the dance program at my school...so I hung up my leotard and picked up my pen for good at the ripe old age of eighteen.  (Factoid from back then:  A dance pal from my college program was Rahm Emanuel, currently the mayor of Chicago.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

lovesreading1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

A little known fact about me?  Here's one:  I was a dance major in college before switching to writing.  For about three years in my teens I was convinced I would grow up and be a dancer.  At the same time, I was also writing fiction.  Finally, midway through college, a writing professor suggested that I make up my mind.  He said he thought I could be a writer if I wanted to, and as it happened, I was feeling dissatisfied with the dance program at my school...so I hung up my leotard and picked up my pen for good at the ripe old age of eighteen.  (Factoid from back then:  A dance pal from my college program was Rahm Emanuel, currently the mayor of Chicago.)

Wow! That is VERY cool! (Especially since I just moved to Chicago!) My best friend in high school was involved in a modern dance program, and so was my sister for awhile. What type of dancing did you like best?

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

lovesreading1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Wow! That is VERY cool! (Especially since I just moved to Chicago!) My best friend in high school was involved in a modern dance program, and so was my sister for awhile. What type of dancing did you like best?

Well...mostly I studied modern dance, but I also studied ballet (did you know that toe shoes really hurt?), jazz, and tap.  Funny, it occurs to me that I've never written about a character who was a dancer.  Maybe that will be coming up?!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

lovesreading1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

lovesreading1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Well...mostly I studied modern dance, but I also studied ballet (did you know that toe shoes really hurt?), jazz, and tap.  Funny, it occurs to me that I've never written about a character who was a dancer.  Maybe that will be coming up?!

Oooh - a ballerina! GREAT idea!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Katia - I don't think I included a link to your blog here (if you have one). Also, are you doing a blog tour to promote your new book?

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Katia - I don't think I included a link to your blog here (if you have one). Also, are you doing a blog tour to promote your new book?

I don't have a blog of my own, but yes, I'll be a guest on various blogs over the next couple of weeks, such as Campaign for the American Reader (http://americareads.blogspot.com/) and My Book, The Movie (http://mybookthemovie.blogspot.com/).  I've also been doing a bunch of interviews which should start appearing online any minute now.  You can keep up with all this on the Candy page of my website, where I'll post them as they appear (http://www.katialief.com/candy.php).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

lovesreading1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I don't have a blog of my own, but yes, I'll be a guest on various blogs over the next couple of weeks, such as Campaign for the American Reader (http://americareads.blogspot.com/) and My Book, The Movie (http://mybookthemovie.blogspot.com/).  I've also been doing a bunch of interviews which should start appearing online any minute now.  You can keep up with all this on the Candy page of my website, where I'll post them as they appear (http://www.katialief.com/candy.php).

Oh, I LOVE "My Book, The Movie!" I'm excited to see how you cast your books. (Or do you pick just one to cast? I can't remember how it works.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

lovesreading1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Oh, I LOVE "My Book, The Movie!" I'm excited to see how you cast your books. (Or do you pick just one to cast? I can't remember how it works.)

You pick one book to cast.  It's funny, because I've now cast two novels from the same series with different actors...

By the way, when you asked about a blog tour, I forgot to mention a "Between the Lines" Q&A I did with the Examiner.com.  It just came out today: http://www.examiner.com/article/between-the-lines-with-katia-lief-q-a

Author
lovesreading1
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

That might be the cutest thing I've ever seen :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

lovesreading1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

lovesreading1 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

You pick one book to cast.  It's funny, because I've now cast two novels from the same series with different actors...

By the way, when you asked about a blog tour, I forgot to mention a "Between the Lines" Q&A I did with the Examiner.com.  It just came out today: http://www.examiner.com/article/between-the-lines-with-katia-lief-q-a

Thanks, Katia - I'll check out the movie blog AND the Examiner.

I just realized it's April Fools' Day on Monday. Are you into pranks?