Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!

Lois - What led you to start writing books as Emma Carlyle in addition to your other books? Is it tricky going back and forth from one style to another?

Author
LoisWinston
Posts: 208
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


becke_davis wrote:

LoisWinston wrote:

 


becke_davis wrote:

The text keeps disappearing from my posts - gak! What I said - that didn't show up - is that my copy hasn't arrived yet. I'm looking forward to reading it!


Thanks, Becke. Hope you enjoy it.

 

I'm having all sorts of problems with the site. Takes perserverance! I've already had one person email me that she tried to post a comment and kept getting directed back up to the login screen. <sigh!>




I'm so sorry about the problems! Please pass on the tips I sent you for getting around the glitches if you get other emails like that. So sorry for the hassle!


Yes, I've been doing that.

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
Author
LoisWinston
Posts: 208
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


becke_davis wrote:

Lois - What led you to start writing books as Emma Carlyle in addition to your other books? Is it tricky going back and forth from one style to another?


I saw that many authors were having success indie pubbing their backlist and some of their unsold mss. I thought I'd give it a try, but I didn't want to confuse my mystery fan base. Mystery readers read for plot, trying to solve whodunit. Romance readers read for the relationship between the hero and heroine. I didn't want to create a problem with reader expectation. So I decided to choose a pen name for the previously unpublshed romances.

 

I'm still not sure I made the right decision because Emma Carlyle is an unknown to readers, but it's a decision I now have to live with. I'm also not sure there will be any future Emma Carlyle books beyond the five that are now available. I have one more unpublsihed romance, but it would need major revisions to bring it up to date. Right now I want to concentrate more on my mysteries.

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


LoisWinston wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Lois - What led you to start writing books as Emma Carlyle in addition to your other books? Is it tricky going back and forth from one style to another?


I saw that many authors were having success indie pubbing their backlist and some of their unsold mss. I thought I'd give it a try, but I didn't want to confuse my mystery fan base. Mystery readers read for plot, trying to solve whodunit. Romance readers read for the relationship between the hero and heroine. I didn't want to create a problem with reader expectation. So I decided to choose a pen name for the previously unpublshed romances.

 

I'm still not sure I made the right decision because Emma Carlyle is an unknown to readers, but it's a decision I now have to live with. I'm also not sure there will be any future Emma Carlyle books beyond the five that are now available. I have one more unpublsihed romance, but it would need major revisions to bring it up to date. Right now I want to concentrate more on my mysteries.


The world of self-publishing is intriguing, but I hear really mixed reports from author friends who have tried it. It seems to require a lot of marketing - although, I guess that's true of all kinds of book sales these days.

Author
Beth_Groundwater
Posts: 200
Registered: ‎03-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!

Hi Lois!

 

So, inquiring minds want to know. What are you working on now, mystery-wise, for future publication? And, what mystery cons do you plan to attend this year?

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
Author
LoisWinston
Posts: 208
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!

 
Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
Author
LoisWinston
Posts: 208
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


Beth_Groundwater wrote:

Hi Lois!

 

So, inquiring minds want to know. What are you working on now, mystery-wise, for future publication? And, what mystery cons do you plan to attend this year?


Hi Beth! So nice to see you here. Right now I'm about 2/3 through writing the 4th Anastasia book. I'm also playing around with a few other ideas.

 

I'm heading down to the Spacecoast Writers Guild conference in Cocoa Beach next week.  I'll be at Malice in May and Bouchercon in Sept. I'm also thinking of going to RWA this year because I have family in the area. If there's a Festival of Mystery this year, I'll head over there after Malice. Haven't heard anything yet about whether the new owner of Mystery Lover's Bookstore is doing one.

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


LoisWinston wrote:

Beth_Groundwater wrote:

Hi Lois!

 

So, inquiring minds want to know. What are you working on now, mystery-wise, for future publication? And, what mystery cons do you plan to attend this year?


Hi Beth! So nice to see you here. Right now I'm about 2/3 through writing the 4th Anastasia book. I'm also playing around with a few other ideas.

 

I'm heading down to the Spacecoast Writers Guild conference in Cocoa Beach next week.  I'll be at Malice in May and Bouchercon in Sept. I'm also thinking of going to RWA this year because I have family in the area. If there's a Festival of Mystery this year, I'll head over there after Malice. Haven't heard anything yet about whether the new owner of Mystery Lover's Bookstore is doing one.


Be sure to let me know if you'll be doing any Barnes & Noble booksignings. I'll promote them here!

Author
LoisWinston
Posts: 208
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


becke_davis wrote:


Be sure to let me know if you'll be doing any Barnes & Noble booksignings. I'll promote them here!


Thanks, Becke. Unfortunately, the B&N stores around here don't seem to do author signings any more. :-(

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!

Hello, Lois, and a warm welcome back to the Mystery Forum here at Barnes and Noble. Sorry to read that Barnes and Noble isn't doing many book signings with you. I've read several of your books and enjoyed them:

Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun  

Death by Killer Mop Doll  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!

Hi Lois, sorry about the troubles on the board but one thing B&N is famous for is there gremlins who love to show up and cause catastrophes :smileyhappy:

 

You mentioned in a previous post that your latest book was fun to write.

Are they all fun to write, and do your characters lead you around by the nose or do you pretty much know what's going to happen from the get go .

 

Thanks for visiting, looks like my to be read pile just got bigger :smileyhappy:

Author
LoisWinston
Posts: 208
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


Fricka wrote:

Hello, Lois, and a warm welcome back to the Mystery Forum here at Barnes and Noble. Sorry to read that Barnes and Noble isn't doing many book signings with you. I've read several of your books and enjoyed them:

Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun  

Death by Killer Mop Doll  


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi Fricka! I remember you from when I was here before. So glad you've enjoyed my books. I hope you'll give some of the others a try.

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
Author
LoisWinston
Posts: 208
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


dhaupt wrote:

Hi Lois, sorry about the troubles on the board but one thing B&N is famous for is there gremlins who love to show up and cause catastrophes :smileyhappy:

 

You mentioned in a previous post that your latest book was fun to write.

Are they all fun to write, and do your characters lead you around by the nose or do you pretty much know what's going to happen from the get go .

 

Thanks for visiting, looks like my to be read pile just got bigger :smileyhappy:


Hi Debbie! All of my Anastasia books have been fun to write because of the wacky characters I've created. Sometimes I laugh out loud when I read back something I've written. I hope others laugh out loud when they read the books.

 

Writing some of my other books has been a different experience. Some of the romances are quite emotional, so although i've enjoyed writing them, I can't say they were *fun* to write the same way the Anastasia books are.

 

However, I've also written some chick lit and romantic comedy that was as fun to write. Anyone who likes the humor in the Anastasia books should check out Talk Gertie To Me and  Elementary, My Dear Gertie, written under my own name, and  Hooking Mr. Right and Four Uncles and a Wedding, written under my Emma Carlyle pen name.

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


LoisWinston wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Lois, sorry about the troubles on the board but one thing B&N is famous for is there gremlins who love to show up and cause catastrophes :smileyhappy:

 

You mentioned in a previous post that your latest book was fun to write.

Are they all fun to write, and do your characters lead you around by the nose or do you pretty much know what's going to happen from the get go .

 

Thanks for visiting, looks like my to be read pile just got bigger :smileyhappy:


Hi Debbie! All of my Anastasia books have been fun to write because of the wacky characters I've created. Sometimes I laugh out loud when I read back something I've written. I hope others laugh out loud when they read the books.

 

Writing some of my other books has been a different experience. Some of the romances are quite emotional, so although i've enjoyed writing them, I can't say they were *fun* to write the same way the Anastasia books are.

 

However, I've also written some chick lit and romantic comedy that was as fun to write. Anyone who likes the humor in the Anastasia books should check out Talk Gertie To Me and  Elementary, My Dear Gertie, written under my own name, and  Hooking Mr. Right and Four Uncles and a Wedding, written under my Emma Carlyle pen name.


I love the Anastasia books. I've read a couple of your older romances - I'll have to check out the Emma Carlyle books, too!

Author
LoisWinston
Posts: 208
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


becke_davis wrote:

LoisWinston wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Lois, sorry about the troubles on the board but one thing B&N is famous for is there gremlins who love to show up and cause catastrophes :smileyhappy:

 

You mentioned in a previous post that your latest book was fun to write.

Are they all fun to write, and do your characters lead you around by the nose or do you pretty much know what's going to happen from the get go .

 

Thanks for visiting, looks like my to be read pile just got bigger :smileyhappy:


Hi Debbie! All of my Anastasia books have been fun to write because of the wacky characters I've created. Sometimes I laugh out loud when I read back something I've written. I hope others laugh out loud when they read the books.

 

Writing some of my other books has been a different experience. Some of the romances are quite emotional, so although i've enjoyed writing them, I can't say they were *fun* to write the same way the Anastasia books are.

 

However, I've also written some chick lit and romantic comedy that was as fun to write. Anyone who likes the humor in the Anastasia books should check out Talk Gertie To Me and  Elementary, My Dear Gertie, written under my own name, and  Hooking Mr. Right and Four Uncles and a Wedding, written under my Emma Carlyle pen name.


I love the Anastasia books. I've read a couple of your older romances - I'll have to check out the Emma Carlyle books, too!


Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy them.

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
Scribe
ReadingPatti
Posts: 2,530
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!

Lois, Hi, and welcome, I like the title of your books. They look very interesting.

 

I hope you have a great visit.

 

ReadingPatti

Author
LoisWinston
Posts: 208
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


ReadingPatti wrote:

Lois, Hi, and welcome, I like the title of your books. They look very interesting.

 

I hope you have a great visit.

 

ReadingPatti


Thanks so much, ReadingPatti! I always enjoy my visits here. I hope you'll give my books a try. If you do, please let me know how you like them.

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!

Lois - I love your covers. They are always so colorful and eye-catching! Do you work with one artist or designer, or were they all done by different people?

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
Posts: 236
Registered: ‎02-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!

Welcome BackLois

 

Books are great!  Always looking for new books by you!

 

Just keep on writing!

 

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Author
LoisWinston
Posts: 208
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author LOIS WINSTON!


becke_davis wrote:

Lois - I love your covers. They are always so colorful and eye-catching! Do you work with one artist or designer, or were they all done by different people?


The Anastasia covers are all done by Midnight Ink, but I had a lot of input in the concept. The covers for my indie published books and the ones where I've gotten my rights back have all been done by my son. He's an animator and visual effects artist for TV and the movies.

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com