Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
MickH
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!

becke_davis wrote:

So am I okay to jump ahead to Dead Lions? I've ordered the other books and downloaded one for Nook, but your lovely publisher sent me a copy of Dead Lions. I wanted to get a feel for the series before I read it, and now I don't know whether to hold off until I've read the others or jump right into this one. I often read series books out of order so I don't think that will be a problem.

DEAD LIONS is the second in the Slough House series, the first being SLOW HORSES. They're probably better read in order (as most series are - you get a better feel for the way characters develop, apart from anything else)  but the plots stand alone, and there are no huge spoilers.

The earlier books feature recurring characters - Zoe Boehm, who appears as a subsidiary character in DOWN CEMETERY ROAD, is the protagonist of the following two novels - but again, there's no series arc which demands they be read in the "correct" order.

Essentially, everyone is allowed to read my novels in a sequence of their choosing, as often as they like...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MickH wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

So am I okay to jump ahead to Dead Lions? I've ordered the other books and downloaded one for Nook, but your lovely publisher sent me a copy of Dead Lions. I wanted to get a feel for the series before I read it, and now I don't know whether to hold off until I've read the others or jump right into this one. I often read series books out of order so I don't think that will be a problem.

DEAD LIONS is the second in the Slough House series, the first being SLOW HORSES. They're probably better read in order (as most series are - you get a better feel for the way characters develop, apart from anything else)  but the plots stand alone, and there are no huge spoilers.

The earlier books feature recurring characters - Zoe Boehm, who appears as a subsidiary character in DOWN CEMETERY ROAD, is the protagonist of the following two novels - but again, there's no series arc which demands they be read in the "correct" order.

Essentially, everyone is allowed to read my novels in a sequence of their choosing, as often as they like...

Thanks, Mick - I've got your other books on order, so I think I'll read SLOW HORSES next and then DEAD LIONS. 

Zoe is a GREAT character - I liked her from the moment she was introduced. 

I'm glad Father's Day is coming up (I know Mothering Sunday is on a different date in the U.K. but I THINK Father's Day is in June in both countries) because this gives me an idea for my dad. Every Father's Day in recent years I've loaded him up with books for a new series I've discovered, and this year it will be yours. (In the past I've introduced my parents to Alan Bradley, John Verdon, Spencer Quinn, Louise Penny and others.) I come from a long line of mystery addicts! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mick - Your bio notes that you're from Newcastle-on-Tyne and now live in Oxford. This makes me think of the Inspector Lewis TV series (seems like there are almost as many murders in Oxford as Midsomer!)

The main thing I remember about Oxford is getting lost in their one-way system, but it is a beautiful place.

Have you set any stories there?

Contributor
MickH
0 Kudos

I was about to write that Louise Penny is the only one of those names I recognise, but Google tells me that "Spencer Quinn" is, in fact, Peter Abrahams ... I enjoy his books, especially the early work, in which sixties radicals find their pasts catching up with them...
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Mick - Your bio notes that you're from Newcastle-on-Tyne and now live in Oxford. This makes me think of the Inspector Lewis TV series (seems like there are almost as many murders in Oxford as Midsomer!)

The main thing I remember about Oxford is getting lost in their one-way system, but it is a beautiful place.

Have you set any stories there? (To clarify - have you set any stories in the university itself, rather than the town?)

Contributor
MickH
0 Kudos

It's not just the one-way system that makes Oxford difficult to navigate; it's all the corpses littering the streets. Between them and the tourists, the city gets pretty crowded at times.

Undeterred by that, my PI character Zoe lives in Oxford, so all my early novels are at least partly set there. One, RECONSTRUCTION - a standalone thriller about a hostage situation in a nursery - is set in in South Oxford, and while the school is fictional, I tried quite hard to get that part of the city down on paper.

I've written about Newcastle too, in SMOKE & WHISPERS, but as it's some time since I've lived there (though I have family there, and visit frequently), I wrote it through the eyes of a visitor, rather than as a native son.

... Interesting that you think of Lewis, rather than its parent series Morse, based, of course, on the Colin Dexter novels. Has Endeavour reached you yet? It's about the young Inspector Morse, and is set in Oxford in the mid-60s. I haven't seen it myself, but it's had some good reviews.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MickH wrote:

It's not just the one-way system that makes Oxford difficult to navigate; it's all the corpses littering the streets. Between them and the tourists, the city gets pretty crowded at times.

Undeterred by that, my PI character Zoe lives in Oxford, so all my early novels are at least partly set there. One, RECONSTRUCTION - a standalone thriller about a hostage situation in a nursery - is set in in South Oxford, and while the school is fictional, I tried quite hard to get that part of the city down on paper.

I've written about Newcastle too, in SMOKE & WHISPERS, but as it's some time since I've lived there (though I have family there, and visit frequently), I wrote it through the eyes of a visitor, rather than as a native son.

... Interesting that you think of Lewis, rather than its parent series Morse, based, of course, on the Colin Dexter novels. Has Endeavour reached you yet? It's about the young Inspector Morse, and is set in Oxford in the mid-60s. I haven't seen it myself, but it's had some good reviews.

I've seen one episode of Endeavour and I liked it, but we haven't had any more episodes of that one yet. Yes, I used to watch Morse but I like Robbie Lewis and the wonderful Hathaway better. I preferred the late John Thaw in his old series like Thick as Thieves and The Sweeney. Speaking of Sweeney, I'm a big fan of his old Sweeney cohort Dennis Waterman in NEW TRICKS. That series is a favorite of mine.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MickH wrote:

Now I'm really intrigued by RECONSTRUCTION - maybe that will be my next one to read. I'm trying to think of other mysteries set in Oxford. I know I've read some but I can only come up with two:

Oxford Blood (A Jemima Shore Mystery)  

Gaudy Night  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The first time we went to Oxford, we got hopelessly lost. My husband blamed it on the removal of road signs during WWII - he firmly believed some had been put back to deliberately redirect visitors. (He can be a conspiracy theorist at times...)

Your bio mentions that you attended Oriel College at Oxford. Very impressive! I looked it up, and the college itself sounds fascinating:

Oriel College

Oriel was founded in 1326 by King Edward II, and is the fifth oldest college in Oxford. Oriel is known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere and is committed to helping students achieve the highest academic standards. There is a strong sense of community within the college with an open friendliness between students of different years and subjects.

Situated in the centre of Oxford, Oriel is close to the University libraries and other facilities.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What are you working on now, Mick - a stand-alone or another in this series?

Contributor
MickH
0 Kudos

The late, much-missed Michael Dibdin wrote a splendid Oxford thriller called DIRTY TRICKS. Something of a departure from his Aurelio Zen series, it's blackly funny and well worth hunting out.

Contributor
MickH
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

The first time we went to Oxford, we got hopelessly lost. My husband blamed it on the removal of road signs during WWII - he firmly believed some had been put back to deliberately redirect visitors. (He can be a conspiracy theorist at times...)

That's not the craziest theory I've ever heard. (In fact, there's a short story by the spy writer Anthony Price which goes some way towards explaining Oxford's traffic system ... Can't remember the details right now, I'm afraid.)

And that's a nice picture of Oriel, thank you, but actually I went to Balliol :smileyhappy:

Balliol.jpg

Hope that comes out okay. My replies are ending up all over the place...

Contributor
MickH
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I completed a standalone novel earlier this year - a revenge thriller set in London, called NOBODY WALKS - and am now gearing up to writing the third in the Slough House series.

I've decided, for a change, to try to nail down the entire plot before starting to write this one. My habit up until now has been to set out with a firm grasp on the first half of a book, and a general sense of where I want it to end up, which has caused me a problem or two in the past ... Rewritten chapters, sleepless nights. That sort of thing.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MickH wrote:

The late, much-missed Michael Dibdin wrote a splendid Oxford thriller called DIRTY TRICKS. Something of a departure from his Aurelio Zen series, it's blackly funny and well worth hunting out.

Dirty Tricks  

Contributor
MickH
0 Kudos

Yep, that's the one. Although set in Oxford, it avoids the usual University haunts and focuses on the tutorial colleges instead: private establishments which offer various courses to paying students, mostly from abroad. Dibdin taught in one for some years, so presumably knew what he was writing about.

Val McDermid's TRICK OF THE DARK is another good Oxford thriller.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Mick, welcome to the forum and I've never read your books. But, I would like to rectify that and start reading them as they sound interesting.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

MickH wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

That's not the craziest theory I've ever heard. (In fact, there's a short story by the spy writer Anthony Price which goes some way towards explaining Oxford's traffic system ... Can't remember the details right now, I'm afraid.)

And that's a nice picture of Oriel, thank you, but actually I went to Balliol :smileyhappy:

Balliol.jpg

Hope that comes out okay. My replies are ending up all over the place...

The site is acting up again - it took me ages to get this to work. I'm so sorry, Mick - it doesn't look like the other picture of Balliol came through, so I'll try this one:

http://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/about-balliol/about-balliol

What is Balliol like?

With almost 400 undergraduate students and an equal number of graduates, Balliol is one of the largest colleges of the University of Oxford. It’s also one of the oldest, having been established in 1263.

Garden Quad

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MickH wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I completed a standalone novel earlier this year - a revenge thriller set in London, called NOBODY WALKS - and am now gearing up to writing the third in the Slough House series.

I've decided, for a change, to try to nail down the entire plot before starting to write this one. My habit up until now has been to set out with a firm grasp on the first half of a book, and a general sense of where I want it to end up, which has caused me a problem or two in the past ... Rewritten chapters, sleepless nights. That sort of thing.

Do you have a release date for NOBODY WALKS? I'm assuming it's too soon for a blurb or cover image...

Congratulations on plotting the novel in advance - if you're a natural "pantser," that couldn't have been easy! Did you stick to the plot or did it change along the way?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MickH wrote:

Yep, that's the one. Although set in Oxford, it avoids the usual University haunts and focuses on the tutorial colleges instead: private establishments which offer various courses to paying students, mostly from abroad. Dibdin taught in one for some years, so presumably knew what he was writing about.

Val McDermid's TRICK OF THE DARK is another good Oxford thriller.

Trick of the Dark