Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!

Do you have a favorite among your books, Mick? 

 

I don't know how much time you have to read with all the writing you've been doing, but what are some of your favorite books?

Contributor
MickH
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎05-13-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!


maxcat wrote:

Hi, Mick, welcome to the forum and I've never read your books. But, I would like to rectify that and start reading them as they sound interesting.


Thanks, maxcat, and that’s a great Updike quote - Life is a reading list .... Life sometimes feels like a slowly filling bookshelf: all the picture books, the children’s stories, the must-read adolescent texts (TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, etc); then the classics, the Booker winners, the Great American Novels, and all the genre fiction, the vast amounts of genre fiction …

 

Actually, the bookshelf’s filling quite quickly. Wonder how much space there is left?

 

Blimey, that’s a bit gloomy for a morning thought.

Contributor
MickH
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎05-13-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!


becke_davis wrote:


Do you have a release date for NOBODY WALKS? I'm assuming it's too soon for a blurb or cover image...

 

Congratulations on plotting the novel in advance - if you're a natural "pantser," that couldn't have been easy! Did you stick to the plot or did it change along the way?


 

 

No release date, no cover, no blurb – nobody’s read it yet, bar my agent and a few friends! I’m just hoping those nice people at Soho Press like it.

 

I wrote it as a “pantser” – a new term to me, but I get it – and as a result it took a while longer than it should have done. That’s why I’m planning the next one in greater detail. Whether having a roadmap will prove effective remains to be seen... I’m not great at following directions. Even my own.

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,012
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!

Mick, life is one big bookshelf and it will never be completely finished until the end. There's lots of room on my bookshelf and my ereader has about 800 books on it. I'll finish them at some point!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
MickH
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎05-13-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!


becke_davis wrote:

Do you have a favorite among your books, Mick? 

 

I don't know how much time you have to read with all the writing you've been doing, but what are some of your favorite books?


I read a lot. Reading’s half the job. It’s sometimes said that writers outnumber readers these days, but if that’s the case, a lot of “writers” are kidding themselves – if you don’t read you’re unlikely to write anything worthwhile, because writing fiction is about taking part in a conversation, not indulging in a monologue.

 

(Sermon over.)

 

Too many favourite authors to list, but I have to mention the new reprints of William McIlvanney’s Laidlaw novels – LAIDLAW, THE PAPERS OF TONY VEITCH and STRANGE LOYALTIES, all now available again from Canongate. (To quote Ian Rankin: “It’s doubtful I would be a crime writer without the influence of McIlvanney…  Here was a literary novelist turning his hand to the urban, contemporary crime novel and proving that the form could tackle big moral concerns and social issues.”)

 

And a recent discovery is Nick Harkaway, with his genre-bending, wholly unclassifiable books THE GONE-AWAY WORLD and ANGELMAKER. (The former, among other delights, contains the most definitive ninjas v. mimes battle sequence yet committed to print.) He’s a funny, moving, clever and irresistible writer, very much his own novelist, so it’s probably unfair to add that he is, as it happens, the son of John le Carré. On the other hand, he has to be used to that by now.

 

As for my own novels, I’m happiest with the two most recent. DEAD LIONS is out now, of course, and Soho Press – my “lovely publisher”, as you so rightly say – will be bringing out a paperback of SLOW HORSES before too long. I’ll be delighted to see that.

 

Contributor
MickH
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎05-13-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!

The end of the bookshelf ... We may have stumbled on a new metaphor.

New User
Rich_Worc
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-16-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!

Mick,

 

I have enjoyed all of your books.  Are there any plans to adapt any of the books for television?  They would play very well on the 'Mystery'  series here in the US and I'm sure just as well in the UK.

 

-Richard

Contributor
MickH
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎05-13-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!


Rich_Worc wrote:

Mick,

 

I have enjoyed all of your books.  Are there any plans to adapt any of the books for television?  They would play very well on the 'Mystery'  series here in the US and I'm sure just as well in the UK.

 

-Richard


Hi Richard

 

Many thanks for that.

 

There’ve been various flurries of interest in the books from film/TV makers over the years, a lot of it generated by reviews in the trade press. (The bottom line is: if you get a starred review in Publishers Weekly, you’ll get follow-up emails from Hollywood production companies. Which is exciting, until you join the dots and realise that the emailers haven’t actually read the book in question, and are simply spreading their nets as wide as they can…)

 

That said, DOWN CEMETERY ROAD went quite some distance towards production: there was a very good script written for it (not by me, I should add, but by actor/screenwriter Mick Ford), and a lot of enthusiasm behind the project. But in the end, it didn’t make it, which I still think is a bit of a shame.

 

Currently, various people are looking at SLOW HORSES/DEAD LIONS, but as to whether anything will come of that, who knows? …

 

-Mick 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!


MickH wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Do you have a favorite among your books, Mick? 

 

I don't know how much time you have to read with all the writing you've been doing, but what are some of your favorite books?


I read a lot. Reading’s half the job. It’s sometimes said that writers outnumber readers these days, but if that’s the case, a lot of “writers” are kidding themselves – if you don’t read you’re unlikely to write anything worthwhile, because writing fiction is about taking part in a conversation, not indulging in a monologue.

 

(Sermon over.)

 

Too many favourite authors to list, but I have to mention the new reprints of William McIlvanney’s Laidlaw novels – LAIDLAW, THE PAPERS OF TONY VEITCH and STRANGE LOYALTIES, all now available again from Canongate. (To quote Ian Rankin: “It’s doubtful I would be a crime writer without the influence of McIlvanney…  Here was a literary novelist turning his hand to the urban, contemporary crime novel and proving that the form could tackle big moral concerns and social issues.”)

 

And a recent discovery is Nick Harkaway, with his genre-bending, wholly unclassifiable books THE GONE-AWAY WORLD and ANGELMAKER. (The former, among other delights, contains the most definitive ninjas v. mimes battle sequence yet committed to print.) He’s a funny, moving, clever and irresistible writer, very much his own novelist, so it’s probably unfair to add that he is, as it happens, the son of John le Carré. On the other hand, he has to be used to that by now.

 

As for my own novels, I’m happiest with the two most recent. DEAD LIONS is out now, of course, and Soho Press – my “lovely publisher”, as you so rightly say – will be bringing out a paperback of SLOW HORSES before too long. I’ll be delighted to see that.

 


I'm working my way up to your new books, Mick. I enjoyed CEMETERY ROAD so much I've ordered some of your older books so I can read them in order. I plan to go on a reading binge this weekend!

 

I can't believe this is the first I've heard of Nick Harkaway, especially since he's the son of John LeCarre! We've had several family features here - Michael Palmer and his son Daniel, Alafair Burke and her father, James Lee Burke, and I think we've had a couple members of the Kellerman Dynasty here. I'll have to check these out - thanks!

 

Angelmaker  

The Gone-Away World  

The Blind Giant  

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!


MickH wrote:

Rich_Worc wrote:

Mick,

 

I have enjoyed all of your books.  Are there any plans to adapt any of the books for television?  They would play very well on the 'Mystery'  series here in the US and I'm sure just as well in the UK.

 

-Richard


Hi Richard

 

Many thanks for that.

 

There’ve been various flurries of interest in the books from film/TV makers over the years, a lot of it generated by reviews in the trade press. (The bottom line is: if you get a starred review in Publishers Weekly, you’ll get follow-up emails from Hollywood production companies. Which is exciting, until you join the dots and realise that the emailers haven’t actually read the book in question, and are simply spreading their nets as wide as they can…)

 

That said, DOWN CEMETERY ROAD went quite some distance towards production: there was a very good script written for it (not by me, I should add, but by actor/screenwriter Mick Ford), and a lot of enthusiasm behind the project. But in the end, it didn’t make it, which I still think is a bit of a shame.

 

Currently, various people are looking at SLOW HORSES/DEAD LIONS, but as to whether anything will come of that, who knows? …

 

-Mick 

 


I'm usually hesitant about televised and/or film adaptations of books, but there have been some good ones recently, such as Longmire, based on Craig Johnson's books. Please come back and let us know if you get a deal for those books - good luck!

 

If it happens and if you have a say in the casting, who would be your dream cast?

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!


Rich_Worc wrote:

Mick,

 

I have enjoyed all of your books.  Are there any plans to adapt any of the books for television?  They would play very well on the 'Mystery'  series here in the US and I'm sure just as well in the UK.

 

-Richard


Thanks for joining us, Rich! And kudos for conquering the gnomes who frequent the sign in process here. 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!

Mick - Thank you so much for visiting with us this week! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your books. Please come back and let us know whenever you have a new release!

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author MICK HERRON!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mick Herron’s MI5 Thriller lands on
2013 CWA Gold Dagger Shortlist

 

Dead Lions  

Mick Herron’s humorous spy thriller DEAD LIONS (May 2013, Soho Press) has been shortlisted for this year’s Crime Writers Association Golsboro Gold Dagger, awarded annually for best crime novel of the year.

DEAD LIONS is a “farcical, fiercely pointed” (Open Letters Monthly) tale featuring Slough House, the London office for disgraced MI5 agents. This is not your typical band of misfits: Slough House members are elite spies who have made a critical error, whether misplacing a disc with government secrets, blowing their cover, or simply hitting the bottle too hard, and been relegated to paper-pushing purgatory. Jackson Lamb, the surly, unkempt Slough House chief, drags the entire crew into a decades-old Cold War conspiracy when he decides to pursue the suspicious death of a fellow fallen agent.

When asked about his research for DEAD LIONS, Herron, a native British writer based in Oxford, admits that he did not infiltrate the MI5 to establish a backdrop for the story.

Soho Press recently announced a reprint for SLOW HORSES, the prequel to DEAD LIONS, which was shortlisted for the 2010 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger. The independent publisher owns world English language rights to the series and is distributed in both the US and UK.

Herron is one of four authors on the Gold Dagger shortlist, alongside Belinda Bauer (RUBBERNECKER), Lauren Beukes (THE SHINING GIRLS), and Becky Masterman (RAGE AGAINST THE DYING). Herron’s fellow Soho Crime author Stuart Neville also made a CWA shortlist this year: his Nazi thriller RATLINES (Jan. 2013, Soho Press/Random House UK) is in the running for the Ian Fleming Steel Dagger.

The winners of the CWA Gold and Steel Daggers will be announced at the Specsavers Crime Thriller Awards ceremony in London on Thursday, October 24.