Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author P.A. McLINN!

PAMcLinn wrote:

What terrific memories, Eadie.  Yes, indeed, your parents were brave traveling by train with 4 kids!

And that's such a great way to see the country, going through small towns, big cities, open country, winding up and down mountains, across rivers.  And on paths less streamlined than the Interstates.

In Book 3 of the "Caught Dead in Wyoming" series that I'm working on right now, there's some discusssion of the early 1900s in the town, and how the railroad affected it. 

My grandfather and great-grandfather worked for the Chicago & Northwestern -- my grandfather all his life and my great-grandfather from the time they came to the US. They were in the railyards, doing blacksmithing-type work. 

Oooh - I'm excited that you're going to be working some history into the series. My grandfather was a guide at Yellowstone back in the early 1900s. He wrote about some of his adventures in journals he left for us. I wish we had pictures, too!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm really excited about this mystery series, but I'll be sad if you don't write any more romances. Are any on the cards, or are you too busy plotting mysteries?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble doesn't allow us to hold contests here, but you should check out the contest at Patricia's link here: http://www.patriciamclinn.com/contest/

Are you interested in receiving the second book in the Caught Dead in Wyoming Series before it goes on sale? 

Just read the excerpt below from SIGN OFF, the first book in the series, and answer the question at the bottom of the page. Five winners will be selected from the pool of correct entries. For more chances to win, you can share the contest details on Twitter. Just follow the instructions below.

*All contest entrants will automatically be added to Patricia McLinn’s newsletter subscription list.  

Author
PAMcLinn
0 Kudos

Wow, Eadie's railroading family and Becke's Yellowstone Park guide in the early 1900s -- we've got some real Wyoming history here. That's so cool!

Eadie, when did your grandfather start with the UP in Cheyenne?  I've been noodling around with a historical romance novella that would open at the UP station in Cheyenne, shortly after it was completed in 1887.

Here are some Yellowstone photos by that photographer I mentioned, William Henry Jackson.  http://ow.ly/hwKtP

This is the camera he used.

Author
PAMcLinn
0 Kudos

I got so carried away with the photos, I forgot to say how wonderful to have those journals, Becke!  I bet you can find images from around those years of the park.  I have a little book called "Roadside History of Yellowstone Park" by Winfred Blevins that has pix of the early buildings, six-horse stagecoaches and Teddy Roosevelt in the park,

You could also check out the National Park Services collection and the Montana Historical Society collection.

Author
PAMcLinn
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I'm really excited about this mystery series, but I'll be sad if you don't write any more romances. Are any on the cards, or are you too busy plotting mysteries?

I did published a historical romance (oddly enough, set in Wyoming <g>), in 2012.  I think of it as a Georgette Heyer comedy of manners, traveling to Wyoming in the 1880s. -- That's COURTING A COWBOY.  (New cover coming very soon.)

And I hope to have a contemporary romance out in 2013 ... maybe the very end of 2013.:smileywink:

The mysteries do take more time. Especially with each book integrating what's happened in the ones before. And of course the twists and turns of the plot.

I have a whole lot more ideas than I have time. Another mystery series, a trilogy of interconnected mystery/ethical suspense, more historical romances, more contemporary romances, a women's fiction story, a 7-book series of historicals centering around aspects of Wyoming history ... I need someone to run the rest of my life so I can just write!

Author
PAMcLinn
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Barnes & Noble doesn't allow us to hold contests here, but you should check out the contest at Patricia's link here: http://www.patriciamclinn.com/contest/

Are you interested in receiving the second book in the Caught Dead in Wyoming Series before it goes on sale? 

Just read the excerpt below from SIGN OFF, the first book in the series, and answer the question at the bottom of the page. Five winners will be selected from the pool of correct entries. For more chances to win, you can share the contest details on Twitter. Just follow the instructions below.

*All contest entrants will automatically be added to Patricia McLinn’s newsletter subscription list.  

Thanks for mentioning the contest, Becke!  I hope everyone will enter over on my website.

You'll be among the very first to read Book 2, if you win, and entering's easy.  Plus my brilliant assistant set up ways for you to get multiple entries by sharing the word about the contest.

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome to the forum.  I am joining late....it's has been quite a week

Rain, snow, cold, rain, rain/ice, rain/snow, snow....and a whole lot of ugly!

looking forward to delving into the mystery books...

J

And...Illinois beat Indiana!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

J

Hope you're staying warm - it's a great week to bundle up with a good book!

Author
PAMcLinn
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

J

Hey, Leisure Reader!  Thanks for the welcome.  Do stay warm and safe!

.... are you on the Illinois or Indiana side?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for joining us this week - I hope you'll keep us updated on the release dates of the rest of this series!

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

met my hubby in Champaign so am fan of Illinois by default.  A lot of money and famiily ties at U of I but when Illinois beats Indiana in anything it is a happy day  :smileyvery-happy:

Thnak you for dropping in......

j

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Author
PAMcLinn
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

met my hubby in Champaign so am fan of Illinois by default.  A lot of money and famiily ties at U of I but when Illinois beats Indiana in anything it is a happy day  :smileyvery-happy:

Thnak you for dropping in......

j

Then congratulations on that win over No. 1! That was a great win.

Author
PAMcLinn
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the warm welcomes from everyone -- I greatly appreciate it.  I hope you will check out and enjoy SIGN OFF!

Becke, you are absolutely the hostess with the mostest :smileywink: You've been terrific. Thanks so much!

All the best,

P.A. McLinn / Patricia McLinn

P.S.  Oh!  If you haven't entered my contest for a chance at an early copy of the followup to SIGN OFF this summer: http://www.patriciamclinn.com/contest

becke_davis
0 Kudos

PAMcLinn wrote:

Thank you so much for the warm welcomes from everyone -- I greatly appreciate it.  I hope you will check out and enjoy SIGN OFF!

Becke, you are absolutely the hostess with the mostest :smileywink: You've been terrific. Thanks so much!

All the best,

P.A. McLinn / Patricia McLinn

P.S.  Oh!  If you haven't entered my contest for a chance at an early copy of the followup to SIGN OFF this summer: http://www.patriciamclinn.com/contest

I entered!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

3-Books-in-1 all for $1.99! 
box_top.gif

bardville-wyoming-boxFor three days only, I'm offering the Bardville, Wyoming e-book boxed set (regularly $7.29) for only $1.99. 

Three strangers arrive in Bardville, Wyoming, brought by reasons involving family, friendship, and loyalty, each planning to stay only a short time. But they're about to have their plans -- and their hearts -- changed forever. 

The boxed set includes the complete books of A STRANGER IN THE FAMILY, A STRANGER TO LOVE, and THE RANCHER MEETS HIS MATCH. 

That's today, Friday and Saturday only -- Feb. 21-23. Come Sunday, the boxed set goes back to its regular price. Don't miss this great price!

Bardville, Wyoming Trilogy Boxed Set (3 books in 1)