Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author PEG HERRING!

Hunting season is actually restful for me, hubby goes out to play every morning and I get time to write!
I have been an admirer of the Tudor era since high school. Not sure if I'd ever attempt another period!
Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

Average day...no such thing! Yesterday I traveled all over introducing the new series to local bookstores. Picked up two signing dates, so that's good.
Work at home days are 6 am-noon write and do online promo stuff. I take a break afternoons but often edit and revise in the evening while watching baseball or football. If there's no game, Jeopardy and reruns of old CSI, etc. Inspiration, you know.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

PegHerring wrote:
Hunting season is actually restful for me, hubby goes out to play every morning and I get time to write!
I have been an admirer of the Tudor era since high school. Not sure if I'd ever attempt another period!

It's a fascinating period!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

PegHerring wrote:
Average day...no such thing! Yesterday I traveled all over introducing the new series to local bookstores. Picked up two signing dates, so that's good.
Work at home days are 6 am-noon write and do online promo stuff. I take a break afternoons but often edit and revise in the evening while watching baseball or football. If there's no game, Jeopardy and reruns of old CSI, etc. Inspiration, you know.

I'm an NCIS fan, myself...

I hesitate to ask, but what teams do you root for?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

I live in Michigan, so the Detroit Tigers--I really don't like watching anyone else.

In football, I'll watch just about anyone, but I favor the Lions and the Packers (I live far enough north on the mitten that cheering for either is acceptable.) Lions play today---YAY!

Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

Hoping everyone has a peaceful, contented day!
Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I have a question.

When you review a book, do you consider that book in relation to ALL the books you've ever read, or in terms of just the genre or even the subgenre of that book?

Since its release last Friday, I've heard from quite a few readers of KILLING SILENCE who promise positive reviews. I wonder what that means.

There's been lots of discussion of reviews lately on chat sites, which is where the question comes from. Some readers say that 5 stars on (another bookseller site) is a turnoff, indicating a friend or relative wrote the review. Some who write reviews say they judge the book in terms of all books they've read, (so I'm being compared to Hemingway??) Others say they give a book a 5 if it's a great cozy, which I'm guessing isn't the same as a Great American Novel.

**Note: Peggy - so sorry, I had to go in and edit this. BN.com doesn't allow us to mention competitors by name (or by links) on this site, but I'm sure everyone will get the idea.

Becke

Just wondered what people here think!  Peg

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

PegHerring wrote:

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I have a question.

When you review a book, do you consider that book in relation to ALL the books you've ever read, or in terms of just the genre or even the subgenre of that book?

Since its release last Friday, I've heard from quite a few readers of KILLING SILENCE who promise positive reviews on Amazon, GoodReads, etc. I wonder what that means.

There's been lots of discussion of reviews lately on chat sites, which is where the question comes from. Some readers say that 5 stars on Amazon is a turnoff, indicating a friend or relative wrote the review. Some who write reviews say they judge the book in terms of all books they've read, (so I'm being compared to Hemingway??) Others say they give a book a 5 if it's a great cozy, which I'm guessing isn't the same as a Great American Novel.

Just wondered what people here think!  Peg

If I can't get my nose out of the book and I need to finish it in order to find out what happens, then I would give that book 5 stars.

You can't compare books, each one has to be rated separately. To me it depends on the emotions that the book sparks in the reader.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Hi Peg

When I select a book to read, it is usually based on 1)  Topic, 2)  the author intros from Becke and the Mystery Board  3)  Established authors (I only buy printed books that I know my husband will like too - Rollins, Berry, Baldacci, Connelly, etc) otherwise it's on my NOOK.

I usually do not judge a book by it's cover.  I read the blurbs on the back or book jacket and then make a decision.  Books have to capture my attention within the first few chapters.  If they don't - I do not wait for the book to get better.  And, if I can figure out "who done it" within the first few chapters - the thrill is gone and the book gets filed in my "do not read pile".

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

Good answer!
Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

I've learned over time that I don't HAVE to finish a book, which is a nice thing to know. I used to tell myself, "It has to get better." Now I know it doesn't!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

PegHerring wrote:

I live in Michigan, so the Detroit Tigers--I really don't like watching anyone else.

In football, I'll watch just about anyone, but I favor the Lions and the Packers (I live far enough north on the mitten that cheering for either is acceptable.) Lions play today---YAY!

We had football on all day yesterday - or it seemed like it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

As to your question, I don't review books at all anymore. I did for a short time, when I was connected with a review blog. Since that blog went on hiatus, I've stopped reviewing. I read for enjoyment, and what I enjoy is a personal thing. I sometimes read reviews but am rarely influenced by them. I AM sometimes influenced by personal recommendations - I'll buy/read a book if a friend who has similar reading tastes to mine liked it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Peg - Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! I had planned to go online yesterday, but it was very hectic here with 10 people for dinner. And then my parents spent the night, so today was busy, too. Sorry I neglected you!

Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

No worries--we had our son visiting,too, so we were content!
Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

I also like to read books recommended by friends, even though we don't always agree. I'm currently reading a famous author's book that a friend didn't finish. I bought it anyway, because I've liked everything else the author wrote. Now I'm bogged down a third of the way through, and I wonder, "Is this really bad, or did my friend's comment that it was bad make me expect bad?" I'm pretty sure it's a lot due to lack of editing, which is, sad to say, too common with "establshed" authors. Apparently no one wants to tell them the book needs work, and they're in a hurry to get it out there and make money. This one's very repetitive and not very focused. Good editing would have helped immensely.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

PegHerring wrote:

I also like to read books recommended by friends, even though we don't always agree. I'm currently reading a famous author's book that a friend didn't finish. I bought it anyway, because I've liked everything else the author wrote. Now I'm bogged down a third of the way through, and I wonder, "Is this really bad, or did my friend's comment that it was bad make me expect bad?" I'm pretty sure it's a lot due to lack of editing, which is, sad to say, too common with "establshed" authors. Apparently no one wants to tell them the book needs work, and they're in a hurry to get it out there and make money. This one's very repetitive and not very focused. Good editing would have helped immensely.

I've read a few books that would have benefited from both editing and copy editing. I'll forgive a lot if the story pulls me in, but it's sad to see so many mistakes slip through.

When I read a mystery I like, it goes on my keeper shelf OR I pass it on to my parents, who are also mystery buffs. We don't always agree, though, because we have different taste in books. It's the same with my friends. I'll definitely read a book they recommend and I usually am glad I did, but the reverse isn't always true. I have a broad taste in my reading materials and my friends don't always agree. Reading is a personal experience, so I think that's normal. It's sad if someone decides not to read a book based on reviews. It's the same with movies - my taste is a little unusual, I guess, so I hardly ever pay attention to what the critics say.

So what books have you been reading lately, when you have time?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Peg - Thank you so much for visiting with us this week! I hope I'll get to meet you in person one of these days!

Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke! I appreciate your help getting the word out--so many places, so little time!!